PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer

ronwx5x
10-16-2007, 08:21 AM
After last year's huge disappointment, is Gilmer being overlooked or is Region II underrepresented on the DL? Gilmer is 6-0 overall, 1-0 in District 15 play, and has taken apart every team they have played, including a very highly rated 2A power, Tatum. They have scored 309 points, an average of over 51 points per game while limiting opponents to 67 or an average of just over 11 per game.

Could they be waiting in the wings to recover from last year? I know they are ranked highly, I just never hear anyone discuss them. Maybe it's time to unmask a lurking powerhouse?

DU_stud04
10-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
After last year's huge disappointment, is Gilmer being overlooked or is Region II underrepresented on the DL? Gilmer is 6-0 overall, 1-0 in District 15 play, and has taken apart every team they have played, including a very highly rated 2A power, Tatum. They have scored 309 points, an average of over 51 points per game while limiting opponents to 67 or an average of just over 11 per game.

Could they be waiting in the wings to recover from last year? I know they are ranked highly, I just never hear anyone discuss them. Maybe it's time to unmask a lurking powerhouse?
i saw them play both this year and last year..... they look better this year and its hard to say that because last years team was really good. their defense is alot better, i think theyre running the offense with a sophmore qb thats quickly getting used to being behind center. helps alot with all the stud players they have. i cant wait to see them and royse city play if they both make it to the 3rd round( i think thats when they would play) should be one heck of a game.

one thing that really brought up the gilmer talk last year was all the posters not from there bringing them up and naming them state champs already. gilmers posters are pretty lax, but they know they are good.

Old Tiger
10-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Probably because the Gilmer posters are very humble.

lostaussie
10-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i saw them play both this year and last year..... they look better this year and its hard to say that because last years team was really good. their defense is alot better, i think theyre running the offense with a sophmore qb thats quickly getting used to being behind center. helps alot with all the stud players they have. i cant wait to see them and royse city play if they both make it to the 3rd round( i think thats when they would play) should be one heck of a game.

one thing that really brought up the gilmer talk last year was all the posters not from there bringing them up and naming them state champs already. gilmers posters are pretty lax, but they know they are good. Studley...........always looking out for us:)

gtownpoke
10-16-2007, 12:26 PM
What's great about those blowout games is you get to put it in your younger kids for quite a bit of time and let them get good game experience. Take the quarterback for example. As a freshman last year he got to come in and play a lot of 4th quarters and this year that experience could very possibly be helping him. Not trying to boast about blowouts but I think thats a big reason why some of the powerhouses are able to just reload after a big graduating class instead of rebuild.

ronwx5x
10-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
What's great about those blowout games is you get to put it in your younger kids for quite a bit of time and let them get good game experience. Take the quarterback for example. As a freshman last year he got to come in and play a lot of 4th quarters and this year that experience could very possibly be helping him. Not trying to boast about blowouts but I think thats a big reason why some of the powerhouses are able to just reload after a big graduating class instead of rebuild.

gtown, you seem to have some insight. Are you a graduate of Gilmer? Do you play football for OSU? I'm not a graduate of either but I admire good teams and it's hard not to like an "underdog" that could go to the state championship by sneaking up on other teams.

mistanice
10-16-2007, 12:49 PM
gtown, you seem to have some insight. Are you a graduate of Gilmer? Do you play football for OSU? I'm not a graduate of either but I admire good teams and it's hard not to like an "underdog" that could go to the state championship by sneaking up on other teams.

I wouldn't exactly call Gilmer an underdog.

ronwx5x
10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
I wouldn't exactly call Gilmer an underdog.

"Underdog" was in quotes because it was tongue in cheek. You may have noticed there has been little talk of Gilmer this year, maybe because there was too much last year? Afraid to speak out?

mistanice
10-16-2007, 01:05 PM
"Underdog" was in quotes because it was tongue in cheek. You may have noticed there has been little talk of Gilmer this year, maybe because there was too much last year? Afraid to speak out?

You won't hear much about Gilmer or much of any East Tx. teams on here. For as long as I've been a member, there aren't many fans from the etex area. You may want to try Smoaky.

ronwx5x
10-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
You won't hear much about Gilmer or much of any East Tx. teams on here. For as long as I've been a member, there aren't many fans from the etex area. You may want to try Smoaky.

Just trying to create discussion. I have no allegiance but I do think Gilmer could be the quiet giant.

gtownpoke
10-16-2007, 01:23 PM
I played for Gilmer and was a senior the year Atlanta won the state title. Now I'm an equipment manager at OSU.
As far as being a quiet giant it reminds me of what happened before and after my graduation. My senior year there was a big deal because coach Traylor came out and said we had a good chance of winning the state title. We had a lot of seniors and everything and only went 4 deep in the playoffs. The next season (Manuel Johnson's senior season) Gilmer wasnt even picked to win the district and went 16-0 shelling just about everyone.

rockdale80
10-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Just trying to create discussion. I have no allegiance but I do think Gilmer could be the quiet giant.

Gilmer is good....you can bank on that. Their RB is a stud.

lostaussie
10-16-2007, 01:35 PM
next subject please:D

ronwx5x
10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
next subject please:D

I refuse to be shushed!:devil:

Buckeye80
10-17-2007, 10:26 PM
I think that Gilmer has established itself as one of the dominant programs in 3A along with the Cuero's, Giddings', and Snyder's of the world. Therefore, I think it would be a little difficult for the Buckeyes to "sneak" up on anyone. We typically get everyone's "best shot" when we play ('06 Liberty-Eylau and '05 Canton).
There are no doubt some very good teams in 3A this season, but I for one like our chances. We have a great combination of size and speed, and to everyone's amazement, we have a defense this year!

JR2004
10-17-2007, 11:07 PM

Okay I'll do it since the Gilmer fans are a bit on the quiet side. The winner of Gilmer-RC (if it happens) is the favorite to win the D1 title. Haven't gotten to watch Gilmer yet, but the folks that have say this year's team is pretty darn good. Only thing I've heard bad is the pass defense isn't great.

3afan
10-18-2007, 06:16 AM
I don't think anyone is overlooking Gilmer ... not by a long shot. if I were to do another 3A poll I would have them #1 AGAIN, just like I did a few weeks ago

sweetwater07
10-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
I don't think anyone is overlooking Gilmer ... not by a long shot. if I were to do another 3A poll I would have them #1 AGAIN, just like I did a few weeks ago

think they are better than Royse City or Liberty Hill??

3afan
10-18-2007, 06:28 AM
how can you seperate them? or Celina? if they all played each other it would basically be toss-ups!

sweetwater07
10-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
how can you seperate them? or Celina? if they all played each other it would basically be toss-ups!

well i haevn't seen any of them play....but i would imagine from all the hype that it would be a toss up