PDA

View Full Version : Tech @ Missouri on ABC

LH Panther Mom
10-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Red Raiders enter AP poll - newly released BCS, too
No. 22 Tech preps for Mizzou
don williams | AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007
Updated: Monday, October 15, 2007 3:51 a.m.

Before Sunday, Texas Tech had not been ranked in any of the major football polls since last Oct. 7. On that night, Missouri ruined the Red Raiders' homecoming, and their absence from the polls lasted more than a year.

The Raiders re-entered the polls Sunday - at No. 21 in the USA Today coaches poll, No. 22 by The Associated Press and No. 24 in the first BCS rankings - after they improved their record to 6-1 by routing Texas A&M 35-7 the day before.

Coincidentally, Tech's first chance to put that ranking on the line comes against No. 15 Missouri. The Raiders visit the Tigers (5-1, 1-1 Big 12) for a 2:30 p.m. game Saturday at Faurot Field. The game will be televised by ABC.

Who's No. 1? - and where's Texas Tech ranked?

• After another wild weekend in college football, Ohio State took over the No. 1 spot in The Associated Press Top 25, and the Buckeyes also earned the top spot in the BCS rankings, which were released for the first time this season.

• Texas Tech moved into the rankings after its win over Texas A&M on Saturday: No. 21 by USA Today and the Harris Interactive poll, No. 22 by The AP and No. 24 in the BCS.

• The full BCS rankings can be found on C3. The full USA Today, Harris and AP rankings are on C8. College football

• Who: Texas Tech at Missouri

• When: 2:30 p.m. Saturday

• Where: Faurot Field, Columbia, Mo.

• TV: ABC (Channel 28, Suddenlink Cable channel 8)

• Records: Tech 6-1, 2-1 in Big 12; Missouri 5-1, 1-1

• Last game: Tech 35, Texas A&M 7; Oklahoma 41, Missouri 31

• Last meeting: Missouri 38, Tech 21 last year in Lubbock

• Line: Missouri by 3 1/2

Tech coach Mike Leach said after Saturday's game that the potential to be ranked didn't concern him.

"The most important thing we can do is see how much better we can become as a team tomorrow, and then do it again and do it again,'' said Leach, whose team is in a four-way tie for the South Division lead at 2-1.

This week's game is a dandy matchup between two of the most productive quarterbacks in college football - Missouri's Chase Daniel and Tech's Graham Harrell. Harrell passed for 425 yards and accounted for four touchdowns Saturday, but just as vital to the victory against A&M were Tech's running game and defense - two traits not often mentioned in connection with Leach.

Tech running back Shannon Woods had a career-high in carries (21), and Woods and Kobey Lewis accounted for 209 yards rushing and receiving.

A surprise to many, but not to the Raiders.

A lot of the runs were plays Harrell checked into at the line of scrimmage after surveying A&M's defensive setup.

"They were really trying to get their linebackers back - almost ignoring the run and trying to get back in our passing lanes,'' Harrell said. "Coach did a good job pointing that out on film, because they played Baylor last week and did a similar thing to them. We knew if they did that, we were going to have to run the ball to be successful.''

Tech's defense continued to trend upward since the shakeup three weeks ago when Tech coach Mike Leach changed defensive coordinators and promoted Ruffin McNeill. Though Tech yielded 233 rushing yards to A&M, that was still 43 fewer than A&M's average, and the Aggies were shut out after scoring an early touchdown.

"He has the if-then theory,'' senior safety Joe Garcia said of McNeill. "If he cares about us, we're going to care about him, and it shows out there. We'll do anything for him, and I like it.''

The if-then theory called for some tough love, though, after the Aggies shoved it down Tech's throat on their first drive and used 10 straight rushing plays to score.

Back on the sideline, McNeill chewed out his players and slammed down his towel.

"I asked them not to let that happen anymore. Please,'' McNeill said later, grinning. "I thought that first drive, they may have been trying too hard. But I love our kids. They know how I am. I might raise my voice to them every now and then, but they know I love them.''

McNeill has said he wanted to simplify the defense and ask his players to be aggressive and enthusiastic. It's worked so far. In McNeill's first two games as coordinator, there was a 20-series sequence in which Tech didn't allow Northwestern State or Iowa State to cross midfield. On Saturday, the Raiders didn't allow A&M to cross midfield on three third-quarter possessions, when the Aggies had a south wind at their backs and the chance to cut into a 21-7 deficit.

Leach said McNeill has brought "an incredible amount of energy.''

Harrell said his defensive mates' willingness to get after it has made a difference.

"With just about any defense, I really don't think scheme's that big a deal,'' Harrell said. "It's about how hard you play and running to the football. Right now, Coach Ruff's got them playing really, really hard and has them running to the football. When you do that, you're going to be a good defense.''

Star freshman receiver Mike Crabtree didn't catch a touchdown pass for the first time this season, but each of the other three starting receivers did. The TD pass to Edward Britton was the first Harrell has thrown to a split end this season.

Crabtree did, however, catch eight passes for 170 yards and set up a pair of touchdowns by breaking middle screens for 54 and 47 yards. Among the single-season major-college records on his radar are those for yards by a freshman receiver - he needs 22 to break - and the mark for overall and consecutive 100-yard receiving games - both 11. Crabtree has seven.

link (http://redraiders.com/stories/101507/foo_101507014.shtml)

Old Tiger
10-16-2007, 05:59 AM
nm

3afan
10-16-2007, 06:12 AM
Tech better watch out, Mizzou is gonna be PO'd

LH Panther Mom
10-16-2007, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
nm
Hey, I could've posted the other article instead. :p

Aesculus gilmus
10-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Even though I'm a Texas alum, I'm now going to root for Tech to win the Big 12.

Have they ever even won the Big 12 South yet? I don't recall it if they did.

Old Tiger
10-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus

Have they ever even won the Big 12 South yet? I don't recall it if they did. Go for Mizzou!

ronwx5x
10-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus

Have they ever even won the Big 12 South yet? I don't recall it if they did.

Tech has never won the Big 12 South. They also never won the SWC. They have had opportunities, just could not get over that hump.

I believe they were in a three way tie for SWC championship once but did not make the old Cotton Bowl.

LH Panther Mom
10-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I believe they were in a three way tie for SWC championship once but did not make the old Cotton Bowl.
Actually, they DID make the old Cotton Bowl as SWC rep for the 3-way tie.....against USC.

BobcatBenny
10-16-2007, 08:16 AM
There are two things that please me about this.

One, I get to watch some exciting Tech football from my couch. :)

Two, I have been to the Aggie forums and they cannot believe they are not being televised. :D

LH Panther Mom
10-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I have been to the Aggie forums and they cannot believe they are not being televised. :D
College football: Aggies-Huskers left off air

Web Posted: 10/14/2007 10:47 PM CDT

Tim Griffin
Express-News staff writer

Fans who want to follow Saturday's Texas A&M-Nebraska game are advised to pull out their transistor radios.

One of the Big 12's traditional marquee matchups has been relegated to no television coverage after both the Aggies and Cornhuskers suffered embarrassing losses on Saturday.

The conference announced its television matchups Sunday, using a six-day television window to ensure it got the games spotlighted that it really wanted. And still no Aggies-Cornhuskers.

What in the holy names of Eric Crouch and Dat Nguyen is going on this season?

Who would ever have thought before the season that Texas Tech at Missouri would be the Big 12's most attractive matchup this week? Or that Kansas-Colorado would be the second most enticing game? Or that Texas and Oklahoma's trips to the Big 12's North and South Division cellars would be deemed to be more entertaining than the Aggies and Cornhuskers.

But such is an indicator of the wackiness in the Big 12, where Kansas remains the league's only undefeated team after three weeks of conference play.

The real stories coming out of Saturday's games was the humiliating losses for Nebraska and A&M, making many think that the end of the coaching tenures of Bill Callahan and Dennis Franchione are drawing close.

A&M showed early spark against Tech, scoring the first time it had the ball and making the Red Raiders punt on back-to-back offensive possessions for the first time all season.

But they couldn't keep that early success going as Tech blew the game open, scoring on three-straight possessions late in the first half en route to a 35-7 victory.

When the Red Raiders forced A&M quarterback Stephen McGee to pass, the game played out with predictable results as Tech claimed its third-straight victory over Franchione in Lubbock by at least 28 points.

The convincing loss came in the first game since the school released the findings of an internal investigation that included the school reporting NCAA violations and giving the coach a letter of admonishment.

Franchione made no additional comments on the matter after the game on Saturday. Tech quarterback Graham Harrell's actions were louder than any words from the Aggie coach, blowing the game open on five quick scoring drives that consumed 13 minutes, 32 seconds.

In the process, the Red Raiders' developing defensive strength made 268-pound tailback Jorvorskie Lane choke on his own words regarding his pregame prediction that the Aggies would win the game.

Lane didn't have much to say after the game about his inability to live up to his boast. But other teammates said they were surprised by how easy the Red Raiders made the victory appear.

"I'm pretty shocked, to be honest with you," McGee told reporters after the game.

But not as stunned as Nebraska fans who packed Memorial Stadium earlier in the day. A lot less were around for the finish after Oklahoma State ripped through the Cornhuskers for a 45-14 victory on a homecoming that was meant to honor legendary former coach Tom Osborne and his 1997 team that shared a national championship with Michigan.

The retired coach spoke to Nebraska players before the game, and members of that championship team greeted them on the sideline as they emerged from the dressing room before kickoff.

The Cornhuskers responded to that inspiration by allowing OSU to jump to a 17-0 lead before producing their first first down.

OSU scored on its first six possessions as it cruised to an early 38-0 advantage. By then, many in the sellout crowd had headed for the exits.

It was the largest home rout for the Conhuskers since losing to Missouri 31-0 in 1958.

"It was almost like seeing your little brother get beat up," Aaron Taylor, the 1997 Outland Trophy winner, told the Omaha World-Herald.

By the end of the game, several Nebraska fans were wearing paper bags over their heads and Nebraska coach Bill Callahan was serenaded with catcalls and expletives as he left the field.

Callahan may have received a two-year contract extension from Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson earlier this season. But he clearly has lost the hearts and minds of the Nebraska faithful over the last month.

Nebraska has yielded 40 points in four of its last five games. The Cornhuskers had never allowed 40 points four times in any previous season.

"I just feel terrible for these players," Callahan told reporters after the game. "It just hurts to watch these kids hurt.

"I'm not worried about my job. I'm just going to do the best I can, and whatever happens, happens. I don't think you can coach in fear or coach like you're scared or something. I've never coached like that in my life."

Both A&M and Nebraska will face difficult schedules the rest of the way. It wouldn't be a surprise if either or both missed bowl trips by cratering the rest of the season.

Which makes Saturday's game an intriguing one on many levels.

Mainly, because somebody has got to win it.

SA Express link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/tgriffin/stories/MYSA101507.GriffinColumn.en.3011d53.html)

Old Tiger
10-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
College football: Aggies-Huskers left off air

Web Posted: 10/14/2007 10:47 PM CDT

Tim Griffin
Express-News staff writer

Fans who want to follow Saturday's Texas A&M-Nebraska game are advised to pull out their transistor radios.

One of the Big 12's traditional marquee matchups has been relegated to no television coverage after both the Aggies and Cornhuskers suffered embarrassing losses on Saturday.

The conference announced its television matchups Sunday, using a six-day television window to ensure it got the games spotlighted that it really wanted. And still no Aggies-Cornhuskers.

What in the holy names of Eric Crouch and Dat Nguyen is going on this season?

Who would ever have thought before the season that Texas Tech at Missouri would be the Big 12's most attractive matchup this week? Or that Kansas-Colorado would be the second most enticing game? Or that Texas and Oklahoma's trips to the Big 12's North and South Division cellars would be deemed to be more entertaining than the Aggies and Cornhuskers.

But such is an indicator of the wackiness in the Big 12, where Kansas remains the league's only undefeated team after three weeks of conference play.

The real stories coming out of Saturday's games was the humiliating losses for Nebraska and A&M, making many think that the end of the coaching tenures of Bill Callahan and Dennis Franchione are drawing close.

A&M showed early spark against Tech, scoring the first time it had the ball and making the Red Raiders punt on back-to-back offensive possessions for the first time all season.

But they couldn't keep that early success going as Tech blew the game open, scoring on three-straight possessions late in the first half en route to a 35-7 victory.

When the Red Raiders forced A&M quarterback Stephen McGee to pass, the game played out with predictable results as Tech claimed its third-straight victory over Franchione in Lubbock by at least 28 points.

The convincing loss came in the first game since the school released the findings of an internal investigation that included the school reporting NCAA violations and giving the coach a letter of admonishment.

Franchione made no additional comments on the matter after the game on Saturday. Tech quarterback Graham Harrell's actions were louder than any words from the Aggie coach, blowing the game open on five quick scoring drives that consumed 13 minutes, 32 seconds.

In the process, the Red Raiders' developing defensive strength made 268-pound tailback Jorvorskie Lane choke on his own words regarding his pregame prediction that the Aggies would win the game.

Lane didn't have much to say after the game about his inability to live up to his boast. But other teammates said they were surprised by how easy the Red Raiders made the victory appear.

"I'm pretty shocked, to be honest with you," McGee told reporters after the game.

But not as stunned as Nebraska fans who packed Memorial Stadium earlier in the day. A lot less were around for the finish after Oklahoma State ripped through the Cornhuskers for a 45-14 victory on a homecoming that was meant to honor legendary former coach Tom Osborne and his 1997 team that shared a national championship with Michigan.

The retired coach spoke to Nebraska players before the game, and members of that championship team greeted them on the sideline as they emerged from the dressing room before kickoff.

The Cornhuskers responded to that inspiration by allowing OSU to jump to a 17-0 lead before producing their first first down.

OSU scored on its first six possessions as it cruised to an early 38-0 advantage. By then, many in the sellout crowd had headed for the exits.

It was the largest home rout for the Conhuskers since losing to Missouri 31-0 in 1958.

"It was almost like seeing your little brother get beat up," Aaron Taylor, the 1997 Outland Trophy winner, told the Omaha World-Herald.

By the end of the game, several Nebraska fans were wearing paper bags over their heads and Nebraska coach Bill Callahan was serenaded with catcalls and expletives as he left the field.

Callahan may have received a two-year contract extension from Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson earlier this season. But he clearly has lost the hearts and minds of the Nebraska faithful over the last month.

Nebraska has yielded 40 points in four of its last five games. The Cornhuskers had never allowed 40 points four times in any previous season.

"I just feel terrible for these players," Callahan told reporters after the game. "It just hurts to watch these kids hurt.

"I'm not worried about my job. I'm just going to do the best I can, and whatever happens, happens. I don't think you can coach in fear or coach like you're scared or something. I've never coached like that in my life."

Both A&M and Nebraska will face difficult schedules the rest of the way. It wouldn't be a surprise if either or both missed bowl trips by cratering the rest of the season.

Which makes Saturday's game an intriguing one on many levels.

Mainly, because somebody has got to win it.

SA Express link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/tgriffin/stories/MYSA101507.GriffinColumn.en.3011d53.html) lmao!

crzyjournalist03
10-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Personally, I think the A&M game is more an indictment on Nebraska stinking so bad than anything else.

Mizzou-TT should be a great one...I'll take Missouri by a TD.

Fal44
10-16-2007, 10:08 AM
ill take the red radiers, but wouldn't mind seeing the tigers win.

Bull19
10-16-2007, 10:15 AM
can we only imagine how much crap tech fans will talk if they win they south???? ill proly go insane......maybe this will finally be the year that the stepchild will actually have something to be proud of

luvhoops34
10-16-2007, 10:40 AM
This should be a really good game. Two Texas QB's, head to head.:D

BobcatBenny
10-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
can we only imagine how much crap tech fans will talk if they win they south???? ill proly go insane......maybe this will finally be the year that the stepchild will actually have something to be proud of
Woooaah there doggie! :) I'm just speculating and there is nobody that would love to see that more than me, but I have actually checked the remaining Tech schedule.

I am just revelling in Tech pwning of A&M. :D

lakers
10-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Come on Red Raiders dont let me down...
No way I'm gonna go all the way up to mizzou to watch the game but I'm expectin them put a whoopin' on those missouri kids....

mrescape43
10-16-2007, 12:25 PM
I think that Tech has too many weapons and will win this game by 10.

b_smith07
10-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Bull19

You had better beleive it buddy....we've taken the ags' crap all this time and ya'll could stand to suffer the other side for year..or two or three! lol

ronwx5x
10-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
I think that Tech has too many weapons and will win this game by 10.

Could happen, but have you noticed who Tech still has to play?

Bull19
10-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by b_smith07
ya'll could stand to suffer the other side for year..or two or three! lol "ya'll" im not an aggie

GWOOD
10-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Could happen, but have you noticed who Tech still has to play?

Game Schedule
Week 9 Sat 10/20 @Missouri
Week 10 Sat 10/27 Colorado
Week 11 Sat 11/3 @Baylor
Week 12 Sat 11/10 @Texas
Week 13 Sat 11/17 Oklahoma

ronwx5x
10-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
Game Schedule
Week 11 Sat 11/3 @Baylor
Week 12 Sat 11/10 @Texas

And of the four they played last year, they lost three.

Bull Butter
10-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by b_smith07
You had better beleive it buddy....we've taken the ags' crap all this time and ya'll could stand to suffer the other side for year..or two or three! lol

What crap have you taken from the Ags? What have they won lately?

burnet44
10-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
Game Schedule
Week 11 Sat 11/3 @Baylor
Week 12 Sat 11/10 @Texas

1. toss up
2. win
3. win
4. toss up
5. loss

best 4-1
worst 2-3
probably 3-2

BobcatBenny
10-16-2007, 02:16 PM
The Ticket in Dallas is about to recount the game in Lubbock from Saturday.

www.theticket.com (http://www.theticket.com)

BobcatBenny
10-16-2007, 02:33 PM
The Ticket in Dallas is about to recount the game in Lubbock from Saturday.

www.theticket.com (http://www.theticket.com)
Wow, the A&M fans have got to be hatin' this discussion.

BobcatBenny
10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Wow, the A&M fans have got to be hatin' this discussion.
And the discussion is over to be continued in some future segment.