PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GotW (week 7): Hidalgo Pirates (5-1) @ Rio Hondo Bobcats (7-0)

R4Editor
10-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Week 7 matchup pits two teams from District 32 with district title hopes. Both teams have played 3 common opponents and both teams won each game with no problem.
Rio Hondo the second highest scoring team in region 4 behind only the Cuero Gobblers(327) with 314 points(44.8 p/g) and given up the fewest points in the region allowing only 23 points this year.
Hidalgo can put points on the board also having piled up 238 points in 6 games(39.6 p/g). Defensively the Pirates have allowed only 52 points this year with only Rio Hondo and CC West Oso(51 points) allowing less.

Bobcats are led by QB Joseph Vela who has rushed for 450 yards and 9 TDs and passed for 503 yards and 5 TDs. Bobcats leading rusher is Jacob Martinez who has rushed for 873 yards and 11 TDs on the ground.

Pirates are also led by their QB Oscar Perez who has rushed for 907 yards and 15 tds and passed for 430 yards and 3 tds. RB Angel Nava has piled up 515 yds on the ground and 7 Tds.

My pick is the Bobcats win in a battle of defenses 21-10.

Discuss who wins and why.

Johnny 5
10-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Bobcats because of the better defense

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-14-2007, 02:55 PM
This is a toss-up.

I'm going with Rio Hondo simply due to the fact Rio Hondo has been playing more winning football the last few years, unlike Hidalgo who can be good one year, but bad the next 1 or 2 years.

Cats Fan
10-14-2007, 07:33 PM
gotta go with Rio Hondo on this one....but in a close one that will be decided by who has the ball last. r

Go Bobcats.

footballgal
10-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Toss up for me too, it will all depend on who plays the better defense..... I will go with the Bobcats in this one.

LordInfamous
10-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Hidalgo should win this one
something like 35-21 or 28-14

Everyone talked about Raymondville's offense and their speed and it was a non-factor against Hidalgo's D

Hidalgo's D has played tough opponents in EE and Mercedes.

Rio Hondo's cupcake schedule is going to hurt them.

This is RH's first though opponent and it should definately be a good game.

Johnny 5
10-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by LordInfamous
Hidalgo should win this one
something like 35-21 or 28-14

Everyone talked about Raymondville's offense and their speed and it was a non-factor against Hidalgo's D

Hidalgo's D has played tough opponents in EE and Mercedes.

Rio Hondo's cupcake schedule is going to hurt them.

This is RH's first though opponent and it should definately be a good game.

That is what you said last year as well :clap:

LordInfamous
10-15-2007, 12:45 PM
please feel free to quote me

Johnny 5
10-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by LordInfamous
please feel free to quote me

Heh. You and the other Pirates said the same thing last year on the RGV Sports forums . . . two years straight. And you all had some crow to eat. Actually, not some, alot.

And so you guys no longer post on there, but I see you have joined here.

Will you run again if you have to eat crow?

Johnny 5
10-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by L0rd Infamous:
Hidalgo seems to be rolling since the game after mercedes. If the same hidalgo that played EE shows up, RH will have a very long night. I say Hidalgo wins 27-20

Link (http://forums.rgvsports.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006205#000035)

Originally posted by L0rd Infamous:
dont worry, they will have their hands full against Hidalgo. I think Hidalgo's defense is better than RH's. RH hasnt played any respectable offense yet but Hidalgo already has faced 3 good ones. Im telling you guys RH is going to over look Hidalgo and we are gonna go for the kill

Link (http://forums.rgvsports.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006205;p=2)

Need I go on?

LordInfamous
10-15-2007, 01:22 PM
no one is running....
getting banned is another issue...

either way its nice to see you have a lot of time in your hands...

Johnny 5
10-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Yes I do. lol

:D

Cats Fan
10-15-2007, 01:45 PM
man...if i ever go to court for any reason...I want Johnny as my defendant. :D

Johnny 5
10-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Cats Fan
man...if i ever go to court for any reason...I want Johnny as my defendant. :D

heh heh

:cool:

buff4ever
10-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Rio Hondo in a close one by 7, they seem to be rolling on for now.

Cats Fan
10-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Major Clash: Bobcats, Pirates collide in district tilt

Peter Rasmussen
Oct 16, 2007 12:30 am

In a district in which teams play only four league games, almost any contest could determine the eventual champion.

This week’s Hidalgo-Rio Hondo game could very well produce the District 32-3A title winner, and the game has emerged as a contest to watch in Week 7.

Most believed Rio Hondo (7-0, 1-0 32-3A) would be a district favorite, but Hidalgo has turned some heads as it has raced to a 5-1 record. Friday’s game will be Hidalgo’s first district game of the season.

“I think (the Pirates) are a good team,” Bobcats coach Gus Cavazos said. “They have a very simple scheme, but at the same time it is a very sound scheme. They are well coached and are going to give us a good game.”

The Pirates average 401.7 yards per game while yielding only 149.7. Rio Hondo has produced similar numbers, averaging 376.9 yards and giving up a Rio Grande Valley-low 117.3 yards per game.

“I am not going to lie, this is a big game,” Pirates coach Jorge Peña said. “I know it. The players know it. We are playing a team that we knew was going to be very good.”

Vela probable

Rio Hondo quarterback Joseph Vela has missed the last two games with an undisclosed injury to his foot he suffered in practice two weeks ago. It was described as a lower-leg injury when it was thought Vela had sprained his ankle, but the injury occurred on his foot.

“We really can’t say he is going to play for sure,” Cavazos said. “It looks like he will play. It wasn’t as serious as we thought. It was just an aggravation of an old injury.”

Vela (38-of-50 for 521 yards passing) was leading District 32-3A in passing when he went down.

Cats Fan
10-16-2007, 12:56 AM
32-3A notes: 'Getcha popcorn ready'

By ARMANDO GARZA
Oct 15, 2007 9:34 pm

Last week saw the first of six HUGE games in District 32-3A, as Port Isabel downed La Feria 26-20 in overtime.
Now it’s time for Round No. 2
Hidalgo, fresh off its bye week, travels to Rio Hondo to take on the 7-0 Bobcats, who beat Progreso 28-0 last week.
The Pirates are certainly a dangerous football team.
Hidalgo boasts the district’s best offense at 401.6 yards per game, and one of the district’s top rushers in quarterback Oscar Perez (117 carries, 907 yards, 14 touchdowns).
The success on offense reminds many fans of San Benito’s 2004 team that went 10-0 in the regular season behind 2,000-yard rushing QB Randy Reza. The offensive coordinator that year? You guessed it: current Hidalgo head coach Jorge Peña.
Defensively, new coordinator Roy Peña (no relation to Jorge, but brother of San Benito head coach Mario) has the Pirate defenders playing some solid football, allowing only 148.5 yards per game and big reason the Pirates are 5-1 so far.
On the other side, Rio Hondo is one of only two undefeated teams in the Valley.
The Cats have blown out most of their opponents and have done it with superb offense and defense, thanks to two of the best coordinators around in Steve Marroquin (offense) and Rocky James (defense), under head coach Gus Cavazos.
The offense is cranking out 374.3 yards per game, while the defense is giving up only 117 yards per game. Both big reasons why they haven’t lost yet.
Not even the injury bug has stopped the Bobcats, as they’ve lost several players to injuries, notably quarterback Joseph Vela.
It is unclear whether Vela, who tweaked an ankle and has missed the last two games, will play against the Pirates.
Nonetheless, the Bobcats have weapons in three-back tandem Jacob Martinez, Trevor David and Joshua Rodriguez.
Though I’m not a Dallas Cowboys fan in the least, I’ll borrow Terrell Owens’ best quote: “Getcha popcorn ready,” because this game is sure to be a dandy.

gobbler grad
10-16-2007, 08:52 PM
picked Rio Hondo...but pulling for the Pirates...:clap:

Bobcats win by several...:thinking:

footballgal
10-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Perez’s Place
Hidalgo senior QB steering Pirates

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/perez_735___article.xml/team_one.html

11TARPON
10-18-2007, 11:59 AM
I feel that RH can't afford an early turnover because Hidalgo is so explosive that RH doesn't want to give them any additional momentum. I saw RH fall behind early to Raymondville and Ray had the momentum until Ray started turning the ball over. I don't think RH's offense is a come from behind offense. They put together long time consuming drives. Hidalgo is dangerous when they get the momentum. With no turnovers I take RH over Hidalgo 28-14.

lakers
10-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Rio Hondo by 7
Just because they have a cooler mascot...:D

Johnny 5
10-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by lakers
Rio Hondo by 7
Just because they have a cooler mascot...:D

:clap:

Johnny 5
10-19-2007, 06:45 AM
OPENING DISTRICT WITH A BANG
Pirates face powerful Bobcats

Peter Rasmussen | The Monitor
Oct 19, 2007 12:31 am

http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1192772094-gowweb.jpg
Hidalgo coach Jorge Peña addresses his team at the end of Monday’s practice in Hidalgo. The Pirates take their latest shot at dethroning Class 3A Rio Grande Valley powerhouse Rio Hondo at 7:30 tonight at Bobcat Stadium.
Alex Jones | ajones@themonitor.com

Hanging inside Hidalgo coach Jorge Peña’s office is a chart that tracks the progress of all District 32-3A teams.

The chart is more than halfway full, but eight weeks into the season Hidalgo will finally be able to fill in a district score.

The Pirates’ matchup against the Bobcats at 7:30 tonight in Rio Hondo will be the former’s first league contest.

It wasn’t until last week that Peña was able to finally input scores for the Pirates’ district foes. The five-team district allows for only four district games. In the world of District 32-3A, every win counts and every loss delivers a critical blow.

“You can’t afford to have a bad night,” Bobcats coach Gus Cavazos said. “If you are supposed to win a game, you better win it. If you have a bad night, it could cost you a trip to the playoffs.”

Rio Hondo (7-0 overall, 1-0 district) opened district play with a 28-0 win over Progreso. Both Cavazos and Peña said the significance of their contest might not be because of their winning records but because they can’t afford to lose.

“These district games are real important,” Peña said. “The loser of any game is at a big disadvantage and puts the winner at a huge advantage. It is not the end of the world, but it is important.”

If the Pirates lose tonight, they face the daunting task of taking on Port Isabel in Week 8 in a 0-1 hole.

A much improved Progreso team is 0-1 in district after Week 6 and a loss at PI tonight would make it very difficult for the Red Ants to make the playoffs.

“(Our district) makes it difficult to find district opponents because you have to find six of them,” Cavazos said. “We do everything we can to find quality opponents, but not everyone’s schedule is going to match up. But the exciting part of it is that every game means something. I guess in that sense it’s like the playoffs started last week as opposed to starting a month from now.”

Cavazos expects a playoff atmosphere when the most explosive teams in the district collide. Hidalgo leads 32-3A with 401.7 yards of offense per game followed by Rio Hondo (376.9 ypg).
The Bobcats allow a Rio Grande Valley-low 117.3 yards per game and right behind them are the Pirates (149.7 ypg).

Peña said it will take everything his team has to stop a team he said has the best Class 3A athletes in South Texas.

“(The Bobcats) have had an excellent three years,” Peña said. “They won the district one year and came in second the next. They are 7-0 this year. That speaks for itself.”

Bobcats quarterback Joseph Vela is questionable for the game and his availability will be a game-time decision. A foot injury has sidelined the signal caller, who was leading the district in passing (521 yards passing, six touchdowns) when he went down two weeks ago.
There is no doubt Pirates QB Oscar Perez will play. Perez has impressed with 907 yards and 15 TDs rushing. He has also thrown for 584 yards and three TDs.

“(Perez) is a fantastic athlete,” Cavazos said. “Obviously that is translating very well with the style of offense they have over there. He is perfect for that type of offense. He is basically the main cog in that weapon over there, and we need to focus on trying to stop him and control him.”

The Pirates are coming off a bye, and Peña said he has noticed a quiet focus from his team when the week started.

“The team understands how tough it is,” Cavazos said. “We are totally focused on this one game. We don’t have time to be focused on anything else. We are aware of the importance of this game.”

Peter Rasmussen covers District 32-3A for The Monitor. You can reach him at (956) 683-4448.

THE MATCHUP

ADVANTAGES

OFFENSE: Toss Up — Both teams have a bevy of options on offense and have piled up the yardage at will this year. Hidalgo is led by QB Oscar Perez (907 yards rushing, 538 yards passing) and Rio Hondo is led by RB Jacob Martinez (803 yards rushing).

DEFENSE: Rio Hondo — Both teams have done a solid job in this department but Rio Hondo has the slight edge. They have posted four shutouts this season and yield a Rio Grande Valley-low 117.3 ypc. The Bobcats have had one of the best defensive units in the Valley the last three years.

INTANGIBLES: Rio Hondo — Rio Hondo might be out of its league even when playing a tough district opponent. Hidalgo will be the best team the Bobcats have faced this season, but they are deeper, bigger and more athletic than the visiting Pirates.

PREDICTION: Rio Hondo, 27-14

Cats Fan
10-19-2007, 08:03 PM
RH up 7-0 1st Qtr

Cats Fan
10-19-2007, 08:53 PM
17-0 RH at the half

Cats Fan
10-19-2007, 09:39 PM
24 - 6 RH up

Cats Fan
10-19-2007, 10:42 PM
24-10 RH wins.

footballgal
10-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Congrats to the Bobcats!

Next week another good matchup Hidalgo vs Port Isabel

R4Editor
10-20-2007, 12:20 AM
every district game is a good matchup in this district:)

Cats Fan
10-20-2007, 12:39 AM
justs a small preview for your week 9 game of the week.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/prawler3000/RH_v_PI___it_ends_here-1.gif

Johnny 5
10-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Lord Infamous . . . where are you?

lol

I have some crow for you!

Hidal-who?