PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Trophy Race

Old Tiger
10-13-2007, 06:24 PM
This year has to be on of the worst years for a Heisman trophy race ever!

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-13-2007, 06:27 PM
well it sure as hell is interesting ill say that much for it.

Old Tiger
10-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
well it sure as hell is interesting ill say that much for it. Is there even a front runner? kik

STANG RED
10-13-2007, 06:34 PM
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
--John Heisman

Emerson1
10-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Last year was pretty bad to

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-13-2007, 07:26 PM
i would like to see crabtree from texas tech win it...if he actually gets his projected numbers then he definately deserves that trophy

necks_c/09
10-13-2007, 07:28 PM
i would like to see crabtree from texas tech win it...if he actually gets his projected numbers then he definately deserves that trophy Its supposed to go to the best player in the country...

but it goes to the best player on the best team at that time....(ie reggie bush, troy smith....proved to not be the best teams)

not always the best individual player....

anybody got any stats for him this game?

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-13-2007, 07:29 PM
8 rec for 170, 0 tds

RMAC
10-13-2007, 07:30 PM
i would like to see crabtree from texas tech win it...if he actually gets his projected numbers then he definately deserves that trophy

See that's the thing. He has by far the most rediculous numbers in the country, but the way it's voted, he won't win. He was great today and didn't even have a TD. ATM had him double covered all day and that really opened up the other receivers. The two huge plays he did make were quick routes across the middle that he made a few moves on and broke for 50+ yds. both times. The same play both times basically, and I will say ATM's cornerback saved the TD both times. That kid was FAST.

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-13-2007, 10:46 PM
everyone who knows me on this board knows im a die hard UT fan through the grave and way on into the next whatever happens after that. this crabtree kid however makes all the greats in history appear to be nothing. hes a freshman! i know no one is debating what im saying but i just simply cant believe that he is puting up the numbers he is. and its not as if he is the only one that is getting passes thrown his way either. he is just a freak of nature and when he gets to he nfl...they better watch out.

JR2004
10-13-2007, 11:12 PM
everyone who knows me on this board knows im a die hard UT fan through the grave and way on into the next whatever happens after that. this crabtree kid however makes all the greats in history appear to be nothing. hes a freshman! i know no one is debating what im saying but i just simply cant believe that he is puting up the numbers he is. and its not as if he is the only one that is getting passes thrown his way either. he is just a freak of nature and when he gets to he nfl...they better watch out.

The best thing about him playing receiver is it is something he NEVER did at Carter. It's amazing that he's doing this in his first year playing receiver and even more amazing that A&M's goal was to shut him down and he still put up the numbers he did today. That catch he had where he turned a one yard catch into a big gain by splitting right through 6 A&M defenders had me and G just staring at the replay in disbelief. That was beyond ridiculous to explode right through them like that at his size. I know I'd trade UT's best 3 WR's right now if we could line him up there instead.

LH Panther Mom
10-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I know I'd trade UT's best 3 WR's right now if we could line him up there instead.
I'm sure UT had their chance. :p Nah-nee-nah-nee-boo-boo ;)

JR2004
10-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm sure UT had their chance. :p Nah-nee-nah-nee-boo-boo ;)

Well he did want to play both sports coming out of high school and Tech made the most sense. Bob Knight made a great point about him in that if he had chosen the basketball route that he'd excel there just like he is in football.

For some reason I'm thinking UT might not have been high on him because he was a QB in high school. They really had no way of knowing that he'd move to receiver and just dominate like this right out of the blocks. Then again UT really doesn't recruit DISD schools all that heavily either (Kindle being an exception). They prefer to keep hitting up the suburbs and passing on some talented kids from some of the city schools.

Buccaneer
10-14-2007, 12:16 AM
I will always remember him for the "Drop".

PlayaJBiehl20
10-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
Its supposed to go to the best player in the country...

but it goes to the best player on the best team at that time....(ie reggie bush, troy smith....proved to not be the best teams)

not always the best individual player....

anybody got any stats for him this game?

USC was #1 at the time and so was OSU, so they were on the best teams.

BIG_STICK
10-14-2007, 02:53 AM
MCFADDEN hands down if he doesnt get it than Woodson deserves it. Crabtree great receiver but not heisman worthy no matter what his numbers are

Stownhorse
10-14-2007, 02:57 AM
If crabtree wins it I will shave my head.

Emerson1
10-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by BIG_STICK
MCFADDEN hands down if he doesnt get it than Woodson deserves it. Crabtree great receiver but not heisman worthy no matter what his numbers are
He has done nothing to be the hands down winner.

Brian Brohm still has an outside chance, he is having the best year individually. He is second in yards and TDs behind Graham Harrell.

3afan
10-14-2007, 07:57 AM
..... Crabtree great receiver but not heisman worthy no matter what his numbers are

strange statement ..... why not heisman worthy no matter the numbers?

necks_c/09
10-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by PlayaJBiehl20
USC was #1 at the time and so was OSU, so they were on the best teams. at that time.....

they both lost...

usc lost to texas and OSU got hammered by Florida....

(proved to not be the best teams.... and i said they got picked b/c they were the best players on their respective teams AT THAT TIME)

STANG RED
10-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Crabtree great receiver but not heisman worthy no matter what his numbers are

It takes a lot to rival some of the dumber statements posted on the dlow, but this one comes mighty close.
I agree he wont win it for a veriety of reasons. But his numbers will be the one thing that at least gets him in the running and of course makes him worthy. Playing for TT, in that system, and being a freshman is whats going to eliminate his chances. But if being the #1 reciever in the country doesnt at least make you worthy, I dont know what does.

raider red 2000
10-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
I will always remember him for the "Drop".

yes ...if he makes that catch....TECH would be in the top 5....instead they are #22

I Bleed Red08
10-14-2007, 02:19 PM
i would like to see crabtree from texas tech win it...if he actually gets his projected numbers then he definately deserves that trophy I dont think Crabtree, but i think Gram Harrel should be a definite in the race. he has over 3000 yds, 31 tds, and 3 int.

Tres Lobos
10-14-2007, 02:28 PM
What about that QB from Oregon? He's pretty good.

Old Tiger
10-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by I Bleed Red08
I dont think Crabtree, but i think Gram Harrel should be a definite in the race. he has over 3000 yds, 31 tds, and 3 int. and almost half of that is to crabtree

Tweeder215
10-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
yes ...if he makes that catch....TECH would be in the top 5....instead they are #22

No....if he makes that catch then we don't fire our defensive coordinator and therefore probably have 2 losses on the season...

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-14-2007, 04:44 PM
i dont understand how those numbers could not. that is better than some heismans quality rb's will put up in a season. simply because he is a freshman wont eliminate him from the race. adrian peterson was the first runner up his FRESHMAN season. why is it so hard to believe that another freshman could do it? i am by no means a tech fan. and for sure not an oklahoma fan. but the numbers will speak for themselves. unfortunately the heisman has become a team generated race, but you watch he'll get an invite.

raider red 2000
10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Tweeder215
No....if he makes that catch then we don't fire our defensive coordinator and therefore probably have 2 losses on the season...

probably right.

RMAC
10-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Tweeder215

Correct, but we lose to ATM. We still hang 70 on Iowa but get romped by ATM. I think if that was what it took for us to start playing defense, then so be it. They stepped it up in a big way yesterday and everybody knows you need a good offense and good defense to win ball games.

District303aPastPlayer
10-14-2007, 11:12 PM
anybody remember this guy named Glen Dorsey? Ya know, a GREAT defensive player from a GREAT university...

eagles_victory
10-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
anybody remember this guy named Glen Dorsey? Ya know, a GREAT defensive player from a GREAT university... glen dorsey for heisman :confused:

District303aPastPlayer
10-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
glen dorsey for heisman :confused:

yeah... ya know, its been a long while since a dominant defensive player has won it...

mwynn05
10-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Casey Fitzgerald.
Fitzgerald, Cas 6 games 58receptions 845 yeards 14.6 yards per catch 6 touchdowns 99 long 140.8 average per game

eagles_victory
10-14-2007, 11:20 PM
yeah... ya know, its been a long while since a dominant defensive player has won it... i love glen dorsey great player but heisman come on lets be more realistic

District303aPastPlayer
10-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i love glen dorsey great player but heisman come on lets be more realistic

let see, USF is ranked #2 in the nation... and you are telling me to be realistic.... right now, ANYTHING is possible in college football

Ten years ago, they didn't even have a college football program, and after this year, they might not have a coach... but that is neither here nor there...

big daddy russ
10-14-2007, 11:32 PM
The reason there isn't a clear frontrunner is because the Heisman is now handed to the best player on the best team. Personally, I'd like to see it handed to the best player in college football, or at least the most valuable one.

Hard to argue against Andre Woodson IMO. Here's my top five. Notice that there isn't a single Sooner or Trojan on the list.

1. Andre Woodson, QB Kentucky
2. Matt Ryan, QB Boston College
3. Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU (Most people use the argument that it's tough for a DT to be the most influential player in a game, but this kid's different. He makes that LSU defense go. Turns a pretty good run defense into possibly the best in the nation and can put pressure on the offense better than 90% of the DE's out there)
4. Chase Daniel, QB Mizzou
5a. Tim Tebow, QB Florida
5b. Dennis Dixon, QB Oregon

Honorable Mention:
-Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
-George Selvie, DE USF
-Pat White, QB WVU
-Brian Brohm, QB Louisville (the fact that his defense can't hold anyone to less than 40 doesn't take away from the fact that he's been amazing this year.)

JR2004
10-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Brian Brohm, QB Louisville (the fact that his defense can't hold anyone to less than 40 doesn't take away from the fact that he's been amazing this year.)

Losing to Syracuse is enough reason for him to not get any consideration whatsoever.

big daddy russ
10-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Losing to Syracuse is enough reason for him to not get any consideration whatsoever.
There's no way you can pin that loss on him. He did everything humanly possible to keep the Cardinals in that game.

Completed 70% of his passes (45-for-65) for 555 yards and four TD's. He threw two picks, but one of those was the receiver's fault.

It wasn't his fault that his teammates committed penalty after penalty, that his RBs and WRs couldn't hang on to the ball, and the Syracuse wideouts were covered about as well as Marisa Miller in this year's SI Swimsuit Issue. Brohm was the one that got them back in the game after Syracuse took a three-score lead in the fourth.

District303aPastPlayer
10-15-2007, 12:00 AM
But Russ... its Syracuse...

big daddy russ
10-15-2007, 12:13 AM
But Russ... its Syracuse...
LOL.

I know, I know, but it's hard to win when the other 21 guys on the team are doing everything possible to lose. I don't know how many people saw that game, but Louisville shouldn't have even been in it at the end. IMHO, that loss showed more about Brohm than most wins. The team had absolutely zero momentum, 20 of Louisville's 20 starters were playing just well enough to beat a middle-of-the-road Pop Warner squad, and Brohm was still the best player on the field.

Like I said, not his fault the defense couldn't stop a six-man team.

JR2004
10-15-2007, 08:15 AM
There's no way you can pin that loss on him. He did everything humanly possible to keep the Cardinals in that game.

Completed 70% of his passes (45-for-65) for 555 yards and four TD's. He threw two picks, but one of those was the receiver's fault.

It wasn't his fault that his teammates committed penalty after penalty, that his RBs and WRs couldn't hang on to the ball, and the Syracuse wideouts were covered about as well as Marisa Miller in this year's SI Swimsuit Issue. Brohm was the one that got them back in the game after Syracuse took a three-score lead in the fourth.

Again it's Syracuse. You lose to them you don't deserve to even be in the conversation.

big daddy russ
10-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Again it's Syracuse. You lose to them you don't deserve to even be in the conversation.
Like I said, I base my Heisman list on a completely different set of criteria than the national media. I want to know who was the best player in the nation, not the best player on the best team.

I could care less who somebody wins or loses against, just whether or not they made their team better or rose above the crappy play. Brohm did it. Easily... EASILY... one of the ten best overall players in the nation. And isn't that the definition of a Heisman trophy winner?

District303aPastPlayer
10-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Like I said, I base my Heisman list on a completely different set of criteria than the national media. I want to know who was the best player in the nation, not the best player on the best team.

I could care less who somebody wins or loses against, just whether or not they made their team better or rose above the crappy play. Brohm did it. Easily... EASILY... one of the ten best overall players in the nation. And isn't that the definition of a Heisman trophy winner?

It used to be... but i would give my pick to Woodson...

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2007, 11:53 AM

And that attitude IMO is what is killed the Heisman..

they look to much at team results, and it has become the MVP and not best player

Look at the last 20 years and IMO the Heisman winner has become diluted because to many good players on great teams won the award over great players on good teams

crzyjournalist03
10-15-2007, 11:54 AM
I still think Chase Daniel could wind up winning it if Mizzou is able to win the rematch with OU in the Big XII championship (assuming of course that they both make it, and that's a huge assumption...)

JR2004
10-15-2007, 01:53 PM

I've watched him several times during his career at Louisville. Never can say that I've found myself at the end of a game being overly impressed with him. He's better than his brother was, but I don't know that that is saying a whole lot.

JR2004
10-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
And that attitude IMO is what is killed the Heisman..

they look to much at team results, and it has become the MVP and not best player

Look at the last 20 years and IMO the Heisman winner has become diluted because to many good players on great teams won the award over great players on good teams

Your ballot is in the mail.

big daddy russ
10-15-2007, 08:34 PM
It used to be... but i would give my pick to Woodson...

The reason there isn't a clear frontrunner is because the Heisman is now handed to the best player on the best team. Personally, I'd like to see it handed to the best player in college football, or at least the most valuable one.

Hard to argue against Andre Woodson IMO....

1. Andre Woodson, QB Kentucky