PDA

View Full Version : Sinton Fans

maroonpunt
09-03-2002, 11:47 AM
Do any of ya'll think that the change in the coaching staff have anything to do with them not looking as sharp right away. I would imagine they would have to get used to their new coaches, by district they will be ready.

SintonFan
09-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by maroonpunt:
Do any of ya'll think that the change in the coaching staff have anything to do with them not looking as sharp right away. I would imagine they would have to get used to their new coaches, by district they will be ready.

No. I think the slow start has more to do with rebuilding both lines than coaching. Coach Mitchell is a fine coach I'm sure. BTW,
what have YOU heard? LOL...

maroonpunt
09-03-2002, 12:28 PM
I havent heard anything. I just read where they had some position coaches leave, was wondering if that had an effect on anything. I know coach Mitchell is a fine coach but he cant do it all by himself. Read where like 8 or 9 coaches left Sinton, that is alot at a 3A school.

sintonpop
09-03-2002, 01:06 PM
Two of the main reasons Sinton was successfull last year was Chris Jones, offensive coordinator, and Jimmie Mitchell, defensive coordinator. Both coaches elected to stay with Sinton. It is way to early to judge these coaches and players. If my memory is correct, the Sinton Pirates only beat Tuloso-Midway 28-6 in their first game last year. Tuloso-Midway finished the season 1-9. Raymondville was a much better first game opponent than T-M. I predict Raymondville will play for their respective district title.

I think we will have a much better feel what the 2002 Sinton Pirates are made of after this Friday nights game with G-P.

maroonpunt
09-03-2002, 01:52 PM
Coach Mitchell I understand, the defense was incredible and it was his defense, but didnt coach Davis call the offense, atleast that is who always gave me the plays to run into the game, and i can see where him being gone can hurt.

sinton66
09-03-2002, 02:46 PM
From my understanding, Sinton had only three coaches to leave besides Davis. One female and two males. None went with Davis. One of the males left because the female left, he went with her or vice-versa. I expect the present staff to do an excellent job.
The problem is that the "new" Pirates haven't gelled yet. Look for a change this Friday.

maroonpunt
09-03-2002, 03:15 PM
I believe there were more coaches than that, Coach Smith, Coach Glendening, Coach Jones(tall one), Coach Arroya, Coach Wilson, Coach Mitchell(little bro to Jimmy). So that is 5 varsity coaches all together counting coach Davis.

SintonFan
09-03-2002, 03:38 PM
One more thing to think about. Some of us might have had unrealistic expectations. A 31-6 win against a pretty good Raymondville team is a more than decent win. It's hard not to compare last years team with this one. But the season is sooo young. I have faith the boys will prove themselves just fine. I haven't heard that that many coaches left. You'd think that would have been mentioned on here before.

sinton66
09-03-2002, 06:34 PM
My bad for sure, I DID forget about Glendening. I think you're right, it might have had a little effect. But, new starters and new coaches are all part of the gelling process. I got a feeling they'll look much different this Friday.

eye of the tiger
09-03-2002, 07:54 PM
Last year Commerce had their 3rd coach in three years and started off against a not very good Dallas Pinkston and struggled big time. The guys came around to Coach Crons way of thinking and the year worked out well. It just has to have some effect on the team(changing coaches) but Im pretty sure the Sinton players will adapt and have a strong year. I think there will be a rematch for state. And realistically speaking, there aint nothing wrong with 31-6. Ill take that every week.

sinton66
09-03-2002, 07:59 PM
I totally agree. Sinton has at least 11 seasoned senior leaders that will get the team together. I figured three or four games, but hearing about that four minute explosion makes me think it's closer than that. I hope it's THIS week.

maroonpunt
09-04-2002, 11:04 AM
I hope yall are right, i know the coaches who left were great, i hope the new ones are as good, and i am glad coach y is back. i will be at the game in my maroon.

District303aPastPlayer
09-16-2002, 04:55 PM
I played under the sinton coaches for 3 years. Some of them were easy to get along with, while others had higher expectations than should have. COach smith left with coach hesseltine, Coach Glendening left his basketball legacy, Arroya and Wilson left, JR Mitchell was never an official coach at Sinton, i dont believe, and Matt Jones left as well. As for the effect on the football team, the only real losses are Smith, Arroyo, Wilson, and Jones. Wilson worked in molding Kenny and Stephen Salone into outside linebackers. Arroyo was the O-Line coach, Smith was the D-Line coach, and Jones helped make Justin and Brandon Salone into quality recievers. Glendening really never coaches the varsity level.

maroonpunt
09-18-2002, 11:10 AM
Becareful there, I believe jones left with hesseltine who is now a jones....smith left with coach davis.....

District303aPastPlayer
09-18-2002, 02:04 PM
sorry about that, didnt know the full details.

sinfan75
09-19-2002, 01:40 PM
Lookin at the Sinton paper there are 8 coaches from last year that returned.The only coaches they really replaced for football Arroya Wilson and Jones.

maroonpunt
09-19-2002, 01:42 PM
Smith at DTs

sinton66
09-19-2002, 01:45 PM
Thanks buddy. I heard all sorts of things. 2A88 cleared most of it up for me on another thread. That paper's pretty good, they should know.