PDA

View Full Version : A very early 3A-Division I Projected Playoff Bracket

WOS87
10-13-2007, 09:06 AM
I realize this is very early, especially since 5 districts haven't even played a single district game yet, but going on how teams have fared over the first half of the season, here is my projected Division I bracket as of Oct. 12th.

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/scores/3AI2007bracket.gif

rangerjoe33
10-13-2007, 09:32 AM
I just can't read very well. At first it looked like district 10 was playing district 11.

gatordaze
10-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Celina might make the playoffs is they step it up! You should squeeze them in somewere

leecofans
10-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Celina might make the playoffs is they step it up! You should squeeze them in somewere

I thought Celina was Div II?

rangerjoe33
10-13-2007, 09:47 AM
They will be DII. Gator is worried someone has forgotten Celina. Don't worry chomper, Celina is tough to leave out...wait for the DII projected brackets.:D Congrats on the victory over your rival Pee Pee.

gatordaze
10-13-2007, 09:52 AM
I saw Wakeland in there and they are in our district. Did'nt know they mixed districts between divisions.

rangerjoe33
10-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Three teams from each district qualify for playoffs

of those three the highest enrollment goes Div I

the other two teams go Div II

even if Wakeland finishes third in district they would be the Div I rep from 9-3A.

Ranger Mom
10-13-2007, 10:24 AM
I saw Wakeland in there and they are in our district. Did'nt know they mixed districts between divisions.

If I read correctly a few weeks ago, there as been some talk about changing that all up!!

gatordaze
10-13-2007, 11:12 AM
So it is "possible" for two teams from the same district to win state? Seems odd...

mwynn05
10-13-2007, 11:35 AM
So it is "possible" for two teams from the same district to win state? Seems odd... yeah it's happened before too...has also happened where the d2 champion had a larger enrollment than the d1 champion

Txbroadcaster
10-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
yeah it's happened before too...has also happened where the d2 champion had a larger enrollment than the d1 champion

When it started it was called Big 5A and Little 5A

Then Marshall won Big 5A with a smaller enrollment than Aldine the little 5A..and so the they changed it to D1 and DII

Emerson1
10-13-2007, 11:52 AM
So it is "possible" for two teams from the same district to win state? Seems odd...
Almost happened last year with Copperas Cove and Waco, they both lost at state

WOS87
10-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Almost happened last year with Copperas Cove and Waco, they both lost at state

It's happened 3 times so far...

1995 San Antonio Roosevelt and Converse Judson won 5A Divisions I and II

1997 La Marque and Texas City won 4A Divisions I and II

2003 San Augustine and Garrison won 2A Divisions I and II.

It's never happened in 3A or 1A

As far as D2 teams being larger than D1, it's happened several times, most recently in the 5A finalists last year. Both Division 2 finalists, Cedar Hill and Cypress Falls were much larger schools than either Division 1 finalist Southlake Carroll or Austin Westlake.

STANG RED
10-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
If I read correctly a few weeks ago, there as been some talk about changing that all up!!

I heard the same thing RM, but I was hearing from a couple of guys on a radio show that didnt really understand it, so they really couldnt enlighten us much. But yea it looks like another plan is being come up with. Problem is, it will cause a lot of teams to do a whole lot of traveling. If I understand it correctly, they are looking at splitting each classification down the middle, and big schools will only play big schools, and small will play only small. I dont know if they are looking at all classifications or just maybe 5A & 4A or what. It'll probably make things a little more fair, but its going to be a travel and legistics nightmare for some. Especially out here in R1.

88bobcats
10-13-2007, 03:05 PM
In district 21-3A, I wouldn't count on West Orange - Stark going into DI. Jasper has yet to play Hamshire-Fannett and Silsbee, and H-F still has to play Kirbyville.

I think the most likely scenario is the following:

(1) West Orange - Stark
(2) Kirbyville
(3) Jasper
(4) Hamshire-Fannett
(5) Silsbee

Jasper has a larger enrollment than WO-S, so if this comes true, the Bulldogs go DI with Kirbyville and WO-S going DII.

I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but I think that H-F beating Kirbyville or Jasper might be a tall order. Jasper looks like they're beginning to cruise; and Kirbyville will be hungry after Orangefield nearly put it on 'em.

As predicted last summer, Hamshire-Fannett is the district x-factor.

LH Panther Mom
10-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Based on this, it may not happen. :)

link (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=71976)

gatordaze
10-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
Three teams from each district qualify for playoffs

of those three the highest enrollment goes Div I

the other two teams go Div II

even if Wakeland finishes third in district they would be the Div I rep from 9-3A.

Would'nt that mean that DII has twice as many teams in the playoff pool? How does that work? Do the D1 teams have less games to play?

LH Panther Mom
10-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Would'nt that mean that DII has twice as many teams in the playoff pool? How does that work? Do the D1 teams have less games to play?
Yes, and yes....one less game for DI.

ILS1
10-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Just think? If Hutto doesn't make the playoffs then Liberty Hill would go Div. I. How would a Liberty Hill/Gilmer Championship game fair??

District 18 Enr.
Cameron Yoe 452
Hutto 778
Liberty Hill 599
Rockdale 524
Taylor 881 (it's safe to say Taylor will not make the playoffs)

Aesculus gilmus
10-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Gilmer will win ... easily.

Just kidding. I have no idea. I think our biggest obstacles before the Buckeyes can even begin to think that far ahead include, first of all, Liberty-Eylau, and then, Royse City.

WOS87
10-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
In district 21-3A, I wouldn't count on West Orange - Stark going into DI. Jasper has yet to play Hamshire-Fannett and Silsbee, and H-F still has to play Kirbyville.

Oh, I realize WO-S could very easily go Division II but from the way I see it, an upset or two would have to occur for that to happen.

Silsbee's 3 wins have come against teams with a combined 1-17 record
Jasper's 3 wins have come against teams with a combined 4-14 record

Both Kirbyville and Hamshire-Fannett have more wins and have beaten better teams than either Silsbee or Jasper

Jasper and Silsbee have much tougher schedules remaining than either Kirbyville or H-F.

Whoever wins the Kirbyville-HF game will pretty much be guaranteed the 2nd playoff spot.

Whoever loses the Jasper-Silsbee game will pretty much be out of the running.

The 3rd spot will most likely go to either the loser of the Kirbyville-H-F game or the winner of the Jasper-Silsbee game.

Kirbyville has already beaten Jasper by 2 TDs
Hamshire-Fannett has already beaten Silsbee by 3 TDs

So that means both H-F and Kirbyville already have an edge in potential tiebreaks against Silsbee and Jasper respectively.

VWG
10-14-2007, 09:04 AM
I thought that Dist. 5 played Dist. 6 in the opening round and Dist. 7 played Dist. 8. Last year DI was Wylie - Decatur (7&8)
and Canyon - WF Hirschi (5&6)

LH Panther Mom
10-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by VWG
I thought that Dist. 5 played Dist. 6 in the opening round and Dist. 7 played Dist. 8. Last year DI was Wylie - Decatur (7&8)
and Canyon - WF Hirschi (5&6)
They do. You have to look at the line coming out for Round 2 to see who the hypothetical Round 1 opponent is. :nerd: (I was thinking the same thing at first.)

bandera7
10-14-2007, 09:28 PM
teams winning state from the same district almost happened in 2002...
Bandera won DII. Burnet lost in DI finals.
They were so good that year too. They had McGee and Shipley. From what I was told, and I was in like 7th grade at the time, Burnet hurt some kid from the other team...and they rallied around it. They came back out and played for that kid or something. And pulled it off against probably one of the more talented 3a teams thats ever played.

j_dog
10-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Oh, I realize WO-S could very easily go Division II but from the way I see it, an upset or two would have to occur for that to happen.

Silsbee's 3 wins have come against teams with a combined 1-17 record
Jasper's 3 wins have come against teams with a combined 4-14 record

Both Kirbyville and Hamshire-Fannett have more wins and have beaten better teams than either Silsbee or Jasper

Jasper and Silsbee have much tougher schedules remaining than either Kirbyville or H-F.

Whoever wins the Kirbyville-HF game will pretty much be guaranteed the 2nd playoff spot.

Whoever loses the Jasper-Silsbee game will pretty much be out of the running.

The 3rd spot will most likely go to either the loser of the Kirbyville-H-F game or the winner of the Jasper-Silsbee game.

Kirbyville has already beaten Jasper by 2 TDs
Hamshire-Fannett has already beaten Silsbee by 3 TDs

So that means both H-F and Kirbyville already have an edge in potential tiebreaks against Silsbee and Jasper respectively.
Maybe HF had the tougher schedule? They had to play Jasper, and lost 37-16. I guess that gives Jasper the tie breaker over HF? How do all the odds now compute?

87 TIGER
10-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Just think? If Hutto doesn't make the playoffs then Liberty Hill would go Div. I. How would a Liberty Hill/Gilmer Championship game fair??

District 18 Enr.
Cameron Yoe 452
Hutto 778
Liberty Hill 599
Rockdale 524
Taylor 881 (it's safe to say Taylor will not make the playoffs)
Liberty Hill 599 D1
Rockdale 524 & Cameron 452 D 2
Hutto will be 0-3 after they play LH on fri.
Taylor needs to win out to guarantee a spot, 2 of 3 for a tie unless Rock or Cam loses out

lostaussie
10-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
Liberty Hill 599 D1
Rockdale 524 & Cameron 452 D 2
Hutto will be 0-3 after they play LH on fri.
Taylor needs to win out to guarantee a spot, 2 of 3 for a tie unless Rock or Cam loses out so that will put LH D1. i'm down with that. don't know that we will ever meet cause crazy stuff happens during playoff time.................but i for one would certainly enjoy it. i had a blast wathching the LH/ Celina game last year. a very exciting game!!!!!

LH Panther Mom
10-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i had a blast wathching the LH/ Celina game last year. a very exciting game!!!!! :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: Did you try to come meet us at half? :(

pirate4state
10-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: Did you try to come meet us at half? :( He was at the pre-game George's thing.

lostaussie
10-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
He was at the pre-game George's thing. you remembered:inlove:

lostaussie
10-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: Did you try to come meet us at half? :( what is 44's name. Doug is all i can remember. I sat right behind his dad. he was nervous as a cat the whole game, but he was one proud papa. took me a while to figure out who his son was, cause he was so nervous i couldn't get him to say much:D

Emerson1
10-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
They were so good that year too. They had McGee and Shipley. From what I was told, and I was in like 7th grade at the time, Burnet hurt some kid from the other team...and they rallied around it. They came back out and played for that kid or something. And pulled it off against probably one of the more talented 3a teams thats ever played.
It was Corey Fulbright who got hurt.

and the state championship that year was decided a few weeks earlier. That game was only played for technical reasons

Matthew328
10-21-2007, 08:01 PM
That team Burnet played was pretty darn talented that year also :)

In fact they are now a Top 10 4A team

burnet44
10-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by bandera7

bandera lost to Burnet in dist 48-14? I think
It was bad whatever it was
yeah D1 was way tougher
you beat a State Champion? like a drum
and you dont win it
Remember jarrel and bartlett?
same thing just in reverse

LH Panther Mom
10-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
what is 44's name. Doug is all i can remember. I sat right behind his dad. he was nervous as a cat the whole game, but he was one proud papa. took me a while to figure out who his son was, cause he was so nervous i couldn't get him to say much:D
Allman.....and his dad is that way ALL the time. ;)