PDA

View Full Version : Madison 21 Ranchview 20!

JR2004
10-13-2007, 01:16 AM
All I can say is IAM HAPPY WE GOT A WIN! I had almost forgotten what it felt like because we hadn't won a game since the West game in the 1st round of the playoffs last season...lol.

We had a 21-0 lead in the 4th quarter, but our young fellas are still working on putting together 4 quarters. Ranchview scored 2 TD's on the short field to get it to 21-14. It looked like we might be able to run out the clock, but wound up having to punt with about 50 seconds to go in the game. That's when it almost all fell apart again for what would've been the 4th game in a row that we would've lost a game we were tied or ahead in in the 4th quarter.

We bring in the punt team and our deep snapper (man oh man do we need a ton of work on this) two hops it to the punter for the umpteenth time this season and it gets blocked and they return it for a TD. All they had to do with hit the extra point to tie it and likely send it to OT.

INSTEAD the kid that's bobbled the hold on the two extra points the last two games against Lincoln and Pinkston that would've tied each game came through and blocked the kick and we held on! For those that don't know we lost the last two games 35-34 BOTH times because of extra point mishaps. I was really happy when I saw Greg Jordan after the game and he said that it was him that blocked it. If I could've chosen anyone to make that play, it would've been him because of what happened the prior two games.

Finally an extra point that doesn't go against my guys! So glad to see them finally have something good happen at the end of a game after those 3 straight heart-breaking and gut-wrenching losses at the end of each game.

pirate4state
10-13-2007, 01:17 AM
:thumbsup: congrats

burnet44
10-13-2007, 08:04 AM
this is not a good sign for madison
they must have not played well
they will have to play a lot better to do anything in the playoffs

JR2004
10-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
this is not a good sign for madison
they must have not played well
they will have to play a lot better to do anything in the playoffs

Actually this was a GREAT sign for Madison. We played near flawless football for 3 quarters and had a 21-0 lead. Had you actually seen what happened to them the last 3 games at the very end, which you DIDN'T, you'd know how big it was for this team to finally not completely collapse. We lost 37-34 because we gave up an 87 yard TD pass in the last minute. We lost to our biggest rival, Lincoln, 35-34 because of a bobbled extra point in the South Dallas Super Bowl. We lost the very next week 35-34 again because of another bobbled snap in OT. I couldn't have been happier to see someone else have a problem on an extra point besides us.

We have exactly FIVE, count em FIVE, seniors on this team out of the 39 who suit up and only 3 of them make significant contributions on a weekly basis. Only six guys on the roster had any varsity experience before this season. We start 10 sophomores and all 12 play. You just can't replace all that experience that graduated in May overnight.

Beating Ranchview was big for a team who is still trying to figure out what it takes to play for a full 4 quarters. These games are actually far more fun to watch than when we were rolling right along for the last three years. I expected them to take 3rd this season in district and they're still right on track to do just that and I'm happy with that considering the complete lack of experience we have on offense, defense and special teams.