PDA

View Full Version : boat hits Port A ferry, and sinks.....

luvhoops34
10-12-2007, 10:47 AM
oops....somebody wasn't paying attention

Boat hits Port A ferry, sinks
Passengers on ferry throw boat riders life preservers

By Mike Baird (Contact)
Originally published 08:15 a.m., October 12, 2007
Updated 09:18 a.m., October 12, 2007

PORT ARANSAS — An about 20-foot center console bay boat collided with the Port Aransas R.E. Stotzer Jr. Ferry Boat about 7:15 a.m. Three men in the recreational boat were ejected into the water, and ferry passengers threw them life preserver rings and life jackets as their craft capsized and current carried it several hundred feet toward the gulf before sinking.

“They were going extremely too fast,” said Kevin King, 35, a passenger on the ferry at the time of the accident. “The driver tried to bank right, but a spray of water shot onto the front end of the ferry and they were thrown into the channel.

“It woke me up better than coffee,” said the Victoria hardware store manager on his way to a Port Aransas job site.

All of the men were safely pulled from the water, while the harbormaster stopped ferry traffic. Once safe, operations resumed, with three ferries operating

The bow of the boat was still accessible, and the U.S. Coast Guard is towing it to the Port Aransas' marina for the owners, Coast Guard officials said.

The three men suffered only scrapes. There was no damage to the ferry.

It’s the first accident involving a ferry boat in the six years Howard Gillespie has been ferry operations manager.

“People can expect delays this morning,” Gillespie said. “We are down one boat from our usual morning operation while a marine safety officer inspects the Stotzer.”

An electronic warning sign is operating to warn incoming traffic about the possible delays, he said.

http://www.caller.com/news/2007/oct/12/boat-hits-port-ferry-sinks/

rundoe
10-12-2007, 11:05 AM
How can you NOT SEE a PORT A FERRY???????

luvhoops34
10-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by rundoe
How can you NOT SEE a PORT A FERRY???????

LOL:D Especially since they run back and forth in the same spot all day long....:doh:

rundoe
10-12-2007, 11:16 AM
they are HUGE!!!!!!!!!

Maroon87
10-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Yeah it's hard not to see those ferries. Unless there was fog I can't imagine hitting one of them.

AP Panther Fan
10-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Incredible. I think this is the first time I have heard of someone hitting one of the ferry boats.

I know of several occasions where people have driven off the end of the dock or ferry into the channel, but like Maroon87 said, it is hard to imagine this happening without a thick fog.

Crazy.:dispntd:

bobcat1
10-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Those are some Big Arse Ferries. How much had those guys been drinking or :smoker: ?