PDA

View Full Version : How Many More Years Does Mack Stay?

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2007, 08:22 AM
I get a weekly UT newsletter from DMN and here was one of the statements made

Q: Is there anything different about Mack Brown? His team has looked ragged all season. Do you really think he’s tired and ready to retire, or is he simply in a transition year and everything will be fine next year?

Daniel, Houston

BROWN: I do think Mack Brown is closer to retirement than people think.

So I talked to a "source" love how general that sounds lol..but this is someone who is close to the UT program and he said the same thing...Would not surprise him if Brown stayed 5 more years..or retired after next year

So my Q is..how long do you think he stays?

burnet44
10-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Mack retires when Todd is ready

years? for Fran
months or weeks is a better pick

rundoe
10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Probably as long as he wants to. (opinion)

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by rundoe
Probably as long as he wants to. (opinion)

I agree..BUT how long do u think that is?

Aesculus gilmus
10-12-2007, 09:01 AM
I saw him when he visited Gilmer earlier this year and was kinda surprised how old and tired he looked.

He's only 56, but he looks quite a bit older. Coaching is hell. (Although it's very lucrative at his level.)

Bear in mind that Darrell Royal retired at around the same age Mack Brown is now. He might have even been a year younger.

This premature aging doesn't affect all of them, though. Barry Switzer just turned 70 and looks quite a bit younger. Must be that outlaw spirit keeping him young.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=071005_1_A2_hForc07533

STANG RED
10-12-2007, 09:10 AM
It depends on how long it takes him to find another Vince Young type QB. If ever. It's painfully obvious that Texas is just above average at best without Vince Young.

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
It depends on how long it takes him to find another Vince Young type QB. If ever. It's painfully obvious that Texas is just above average at best without Vince Young.

I dont think this team is missing the Young type at QB as much as the Young type of leader...of course Young was great on the field, but IMO the talent is not the problem at Texas, it is the leadership inside the lockeroom

JasperDog94
10-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
It depends on how long it takes him to find another Vince Young type QB. If ever. It's painfully obvious that Texas is just above average at best without Vince Young. So all those 10+ win seasons without Vince were just "above average"?

STANG RED
10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont think this team is missing the Young type at QB as much as the Young type of leader...of course Young was great on the field, but IMO the talent is not the problem at Texas, it is the leadership inside the lockeroom

I hadnt thought about that, but your probably right.
It may be 50/50 on the playmaking/leadership.

Old Tiger
10-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
Mack retires when Todd is ready

years? for Fran
months or weeks is a better pick Todd is not going to coach at UT. If anything it will most likely be Major Applewhite.

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Todd is not going to coach at UT. If anything it will most likely be Major Applewhite.

I dont see Texas being Major's first HC job..If Brown stays long enough to either get Major some HC work somewhere else..OR allow him to come in as OC for a couple of years, then yes it will happen..If Brown leaves in lessthan 5 years, then they go a diff route

Old Tiger
10-12-2007, 10:00 AM
OR allow him to come in as OC for a couple of years, Likely:rolleyes: :(

burnet44
10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Barry Switzer just turned 70 and looks quite a bit younger. Must be that outlaw spirit keeping him young.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=071005_1_A2_hForc07533

Barry is pickled
Ive seen him at too many coaching clinics
sends his staff in to do the clinic
he hits the bar and hits it hard

DKR is in an assisted living facility in Austin I have heard with Rooster Andrews
Thats what Ive heard
may or may not be true

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2007, 10:27 AM
it is the leadership inside the lockeroom
And off the field.....(just a "mom" thing)