PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Adamson v. Kimball

3afan
10-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Mascot: Leopards

Colors: Royal blue and white

Namesake: According to the school's Web site, William Hardin Adamson was the first principal of Oak Cliff High School. A week after his death in 1935, the school was renamed in his honor.

Notable alumni: E. King Gill (Texas A&M's original 12th man), Ray Wylie Hubbard (country musician), Michael Martin Murphey (country singer), Ray Price (country musician), Jim Wright (former U.S. speaker of the House)

Adamson (5-0, 0-0 14-4A) vs. Kimball (1-4, 0-0), 2 p.m. Saturday, Kincaide Stadium

Rabbit'93
10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
I know Kimball is 1-4 this year......so I ask this....

should Adamson win is it an upset? I don't think they've beat Kimball in a while.

pirate4state
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
GOOD LUCK KA & Adamson!!! :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93

should Adamson win is it an upset? I don't think they've beat Kimball in a while.

Yes it will be an upset..All 4 of Kimball's losses are to 5A teams..And they played a good Lufkin team very close and had the lead in the 4th Q

Gsquared
10-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Ray Wylie Hubbard went to Adamson???? WOW

3afan
10-12-2007, 09:35 AM
the other alumni surprised me too ....

mwynn05
10-12-2007, 10:36 AM
how things have changed

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Good luck, KA! :cheerl: :cheerl:

Rabbit'93
10-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
how things have changed Many areas of Dallas were once "en vogue". Take Pleasant Grove for example, at one time it was very pleasant. Now it's very far from from it.

mwynn05
10-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Many areas of Dallas were once "en vogue". Take Pleasant Grove for example, at one time it was very pleasant. Now it's very far from from it. yeah i know...

kaorder1999
10-12-2007, 01:14 PM
No more losing feeling at Adamson

Winning is suddenly in for once-downtrodden Leopards, now 5-0

05:27 AM CDT on Friday, October 12, 2007

For three seasons, Adamson did nothing but lose. Now the Oak Cliff school does nothing but win.

Adamson is 5-0 after snapping a 31-game losing streak with its season-opening win over Fort Worth Carter-Riverside.

The wins have brought increased recognition and support.

"It's great," senior running back Donald Williams said. "It's like a privilege to be on this team. When you're walking down the hallway, people say, 'Hey, I know you! You're No. 9!' "

Now Adamson gets the privilege of playing Kimball (1-4) in Saturday's District 14-4A opener.

Kimball, whose losses all came against Class 5A teams, has won 31 straight district games and six straight district titles.

"That's the measuring stick we're going by – how well do you play against Kimball?" said Andy Gutierrez, Adamson's second-year coach. "They're the elite team in our district. Everybody knows that."

Gutierrez couldn't measure Adamson's progress in terms of wins and losses when he arrived last season. Adamson went 0-10, but Gutierrez saw improvement.

Last year, Adamson led Pinkston at halftime. It had a 10-point lead in the first quarter against A. Maceo Smith and a 19-7 lead against Seagoville.

All three games turned into routs, but they gave Gutierrez a foothold to begin building his team's confidence.

"We found victories in whatever," Gutierrez said. "That's what I told the kids in the off-season. We're going to take our victories where we can and build on any of our successes."

Instead of being demoralized by an 0-10 season, Gutierrez said he was "chomping at the bit" to get the 2007 season under way.

"We played a lot of sophomores last year," Gutierrez said. "I just think they didn't know how to win."

Gutierrez gave Adamson the tools for success by changing the offensive and defensive schemes. Adamson had been running a Wing-T offense, but often had to throw the ball after falling behind. Last season, Gutierrez went to a ball-control I-formation to try to keep games close.

This year, Adamson has gone to a shotgun spread offense to take advantage of skill players like quarterback Victor Garcia and receiver Jourdan Hughes. Garcia has thrown seven touchdown passes without an intercaption. Hughes has caught five of those TD passes.

Running backs Williams and DeAires Lynn have combined for 700 yards and nine touchdowns.

The defense had been running a 4-4 stack, but new coordinator Josh Ragsdale installed a 3-4 this season that's allowing six points per game.

Besides X's and O's, Gutierrez brought an enthusiasm and confidence that has rubbed off on his players.

"We're playing for him, not just for us and Adamson," senior defensive lineman Lallie Chambliss said. "We just want to see the gratitude on Coach's face when we get the job done."

Gutierrez said he has received calls and e-mails from supporters of one Dallas' oldest high schools. Last week's homecoming game against Bishop Dunne brought a big crowd that included alums from all eras.

"We had people from the class of '61, class of '64, people that just wanted to be a part of it," Gutierrez said. "I looked up in the stands and thought, 'Unbelievable.' Last year you could look up in the stands and find a spot anywhere."

With Kimball looming, Williams said his team has gone from no expectations to lofty ones.

"Now it's, "Y'all better win.' " Williams said.

JR2004
10-12-2007, 02:22 PM

This would be an upset of epic proportions if KA and his Leopards pull it off. DISD's 4A teams have provided little to no competition for Kimball since they moved down. The majority of their district games have been lopsided blowouts. SOC has been the only team to give them much of a game. If y'all don't cheer for anyone else this weekend, cheer for Adamson!

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
This would be an upset of epic proportions if KA and his Leopards pull it off. DISD's 4A teams have provided little to no competition for Kimball since they moved down. The majority of their district games have been lopsided blowouts. SOC has been the only team to give them much of a game. If y'all don't cheer for anyone else this weekend, cheer for Adamson!

And yet Kimball burps every year in the play-offs and is sent home early with everyone scratching thier heads to why...of course this goes back even into their 5A days

JR2004
10-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
And yet Kimball burps every year in the play-offs and is sent home early with everyone scratching thier heads to why...of course this goes back even into their 5A days

Ennis had something to do with that for awhile. Can't blame them there. They almost got them one year down in Ennis before losing 18-14 when Granger played almost the entire game injured.

This year they should make it out of the first round, but Samuell (likely first round opponent since they beat WW last night by 4TD's or so) will be a tough out for them with DaWaylon Cook at QB.

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Ennis had something to do with that for awhile. Can't blame them there. They almost got them one year down in Ennis before losing 18-14 when Granger played almost the entire game injured.

This year they should make it out of the first round, but Samuell (likely first round opponent since they beat WW last night by 4TD's or so) will be a tough out for them with DaWaylon Cook at QB.

I like Cook alot

In 90 when we won state we were all pumped because we would take on Kimball in round 2..Except Berkner upset them and we thrashed them 61-6

JR2004
10-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I like Cook alot

In 90 when we won state we were all pumped because we would take on Kimball in round 2..Except Berkner upset them and we thrashed them 61-6

I like Cook a lot as well. If he was at a higher profile school than Samuell his name would be all over the place. Still don't think he should pass on the WV offer, that's still standing, but if he wants to stay close to home at TCU so his family can see him play that's his choice. I sure know his basketball coach is in a catch-22. He loaded up his pre-season schedule because of having him back running the point, but he might not get him for a couple of weeks if they pull off an upset in the playoffs. We just talked about it again last night...lol. He wants the football team to do well, but he knows he's going to take it on the chin until Cook gets out there.

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I like Cook a lot as well. If he was at a higher profile school than Samuell his name would be all over the place. Still don't think he should pass on the WV offer, that's still standing, but if he wants to stay close to home at TCU so his family can see him play that's his choice. I sure know his basketball coach is in a catch-22. He loaded up his pre-season schedule because of having him back running the point, but he might not get him for a couple of weeks if they pull off an upset in the playoffs. We just talked about it again last night...lol. He wants the football team to do well, but he knows he's going to take it on the chin until Cook gets out there.

If he being offere for both sports?

JR2004
10-12-2007, 02:39 PM
If he being offere for both sports?

Best I know it's just for football, but he's more than good enough to play basketball there as well.

3afan
10-13-2007, 07:16 AM
today 2pm at Kincaid

JR2004
10-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Posted this last week, but here it is again for those who don't know what Adamson is up against this week. This match-up really is David vs. Goliath.

Kimball has played this as their non-district schedule.

Kimball 12 Carter 13 (Carter won on a 10 yard TD run on the game's final play.)
Kimball 12 Lufkin 23 (Lufkin had TWO points going into the 4th quarter and trailed 6-2.)
Kimball 2 Tyler Lee 3 (Yeah they really lost a game 3-2.)
Kimball 46 O.D. Wyatt 7
Kimball 6 Skyline 13

That's a 1-4 record, but it's a bit deceiving. All four losses came to 5A schools and only one of them scored more than twice against them.

No one has had more than 12 first downs against them yet.

Kimball will also bring one of the longest district winning streaks in the state into the game. It currently stands at 31.

No offense has scored more than 2 TD's against Kimball. Lufkin actually scored on a fumble return for one of their 3TD's in that 4th quarter comeback so the defense actually gave up just 14 points.

WOS87
10-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Quick facts about Adamson and Kimball:

Kimball has outscored Adamson 183-0 in their previous three meetings

The last time Adamson went 6-0-0 to start a season was in 1989

1989 was also the last year that Kimball DIDN'T make the playoffs as they currently have the 4th longest streak of consecutive playoff appearances in the state with 17 in a row from 1990-2006.

Kimball may have the more impressive record recently, but in its earlier years Adamson reached greater heights than Kimball ever has, playing in 3 state championship games in the 1920's, winning a classic in 1924 over the legendary Waco Tigers 31-0. That game held the record as the worst loss Waco had ever suffered for decades after. To put those 31 points in perspective, in the 10 seasons from 1921-1930 Waco went an amazing 111-6-3, and the COMBINED point total scored against them over all 10 seasons was 220 points (that's an average of 22 total points allowed per season, for an entire decade!). It would be 1945 before any other DFW area team would win another state title.

The best showing Kimball has ever made was in '02 and '03 when they had two consecutive quarterfinal appearances, losing to Texarkana both times.