PDA

View Full Version : 6 man state championship

Emerson1
10-11-2007, 02:30 PM
What teams are likely to make it, and where are some possible locations for it to be played?

GetRDoneStangs
10-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Sweetwater or Abilene have been previous locations. Abilene had both divisions back to back last year and it drew something like 10,000 to 12, 000 fans!

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 02:52 PM
last years state games were getting crazy up in abilene...i just wish the games were alil closer...but there was a ton of people there.....oh and this year in d- 1 theres a very good chance of both Rule and Richland Springs making it back to the state championship....RS has the leader in touchdown passes and winner of two state championships already back for his senior that being Tyler Etheridge and Rule only lost i think two starters and one onlyl started one way too i think...so there is a good chance they will play in abilene if both of them make it also calvert, rankin, and grady have been pretty solid this year...and dont forget about ira, they put up 111 points last week in a win over knox city

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
...and dont forget about ira, they put up 111 points last week in a win over knox city

i never really got into 6 man football, but i would have loved to have been at this game.

RedWhiteBlue
10-11-2007, 03:06 PM
We have a friend who coaches at Knox City. I felt bad for them!
I didn't get into it until after I got married, but I love to watch it! You can be down 44 at the half and come back and put it down on somebody. It is awesome to watch. Those farm boys are tough and fast!!!!

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
We have a friend who coaches at Knox City. I felt bad for them!
I didn't get into it until after I got married, but I love to watch it! You can be down 44 at the half and come back and put it down on somebody. It is awesome to watch. Those farm boys are tough and fast!!!!

i watched Highland play Westbrook a couple of years ago when Ryan Adkins was playing for them, it was interesting to see the speed on the field......
i used to Live in Trent and i watched them play one time against Blackwell, thats two hours of my life i'll never get back

Ranger Mom
10-11-2007, 03:11 PM
My nephew is QB for the Meadow Broncos..(I think that's their mascot). I went to a game last year...I thought it was pretty interesting!!!

I don't know how they are doing this season though!

RedWhiteBlue
10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
i watched Highland play Westbrook a couple of years ago when Ryan Adkins was playing for them, it was interesting to see the speed on the field......
i used to Live in Trent and i watched them play one time against Blackwell, thats two hours of my life i'll never get back
The Trent GOrillas- they won state while I was in High School- very nice looking young men if I recall correctly!!!

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 03:18 PM
The Trent GOrillas- they won state while I was in High School- very nice looking young men if I recall correctly!!!

my sister is a cheerleader for them and she said they aren't have bad this year...i haven't watched them play yet though

RedWhiteBlue
10-11-2007, 03:20 PM
my sister is a cheerleader for them and she said they aren't have bad this year...i haven't watched them play yet though
Some of our best friends are there now. He is the Superintendent, Greg Priddy and I think his wife, Sally, is his secretary. Super nice folks. That school district is LOADED now with all the windmills.

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 03:22 PM

i was playing in that game...on the line blocking for ryan ...and ranger mom...if he is talking about the 05-06 year thats the year we lost to meadow in the quarterfinals at grady by 1 point...we missed a field goal wiht 4 seconds left from about 40 yards at the end to win it...i dont think your nephew(?) played too much that game if he is the one i am thinking of

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 03:22 PM

they won state in track or in football....when were you in high school

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Some of our best friends are there now. He is the Superintendent, Greg Priddy and I think his wife, Sally, is his secretary. Super nice folks. That school district is LOADED now with all the windmills.

i wanna say there the ONLY sixman school with turf in texas...pretty new school and gym too

RedWhiteBlue
10-11-2007, 03:24 PM
That's a little personal!!!!
1986-1990.....

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 03:26 PM
That's a little personal!!!!
1986-1990.....

oh ok you had me confused...i thought it had been a while since they were that good in football...i remember when they had booker and simpson around 2000 and i think booker single handedly won a state championship in track that year for them

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
i was playing in that game...on the line blocking for ryan ...and ranger mom...if he is talking about the 05-06 year thats the year we lost to meadow in the quarterfinals at grady by 1 point...we missed a field goal wiht 4 seconds left from about 40 yards at the end to win it...i dont think your nephew(?) played too much that game if he is the one i am thinking of

yeah i remember highland losing in a real tight game, i had some friends that went there and they were always crying about it..haha

RedWhiteBlue
10-11-2007, 03:31 PM
oh ok you had me confused...i thought it had been a while since they were that good in football...i remember when they had booker and simpson around 2000 and i think booker single handedly won a state championship in track that year for them
Booker was it for them when he was there wasn't he? I was long gone from that area, but I still knew who he was. Whatever happened to him?
And I'm not sure what year it was but maybe Chris Simpson's senior year that they went so far and they may not have won state but they were good.
So are you from Trent? Do they still have the gorilla hanging from the line over the stands?

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 03:32 PM
yeah i remember highland losing in a real tight game, i had some friends that went there and they were always crying about it..haha

hey hey easy now....they were proby in my class....and it was very depressing...i think i even shed quite a few tears after we saw the field goal wide right....if i remember right i think i caught a touchdown pass in that game...whoohoo....but it was all for not

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Booker was it for them when he was there wasn't he? I was long gone from that area, but I still knew who he was. Whatever happened to him?
And I'm not sure what year it was but maybe Chris Simpson's senior year that they went so far and they may not have won state but they were good.
So are you from Trent? Do they still have the gorilla hanging from the line over the stands?

i'm from Trent and i haven't seen any gorillas hanging from anywhere....maybe in that nice new stadium they have..turf and all

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 03:36 PM

im from highland...lived in sweetwater though...so i dont know if about the stadium...ive seen pics and theyve looked pretty good...but i remember booker and a Bo Simpson...but idk if that was his reall name or not..and that year they were pretty good in football...but luckily for us it was the same year that we were awfully good, that year was the 2000 season...the next year i think they beat us pretty good though

RedWhiteBlue
10-11-2007, 03:37 PM
i'm from Trent and i haven't seen any gorillas hanging from anywhere....maybe in that nice new stadium they have..turf and all
Trent has Turf???? OMG what is the world coming to? I'm telling you those windmills are making the money. I'm going to have call Priddy about that one.
No, back in the day- a Gorilla hung from some wire in between the makeshift press box and side of the bleachers. It was cool.
What a bummer!!!

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Trent has Turf???? OMG what is the world coming to? I'm telling you those windmills are making the money. I'm going to have call Priddy about that one.
No, back in the day- a Gorilla hung from some wire in between the makeshift press box and side of the bleachers. It was cool.
What a bummer!!!

Trent has turf, its a crazy thought to think that a 6man town has it, and as far as i know, they are the only ones in the state

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Trent has turf, its a crazy thought to think that a 6man town has it, and as far as i know, they are the only ones in the state

they got it a freakin year late for me though...i was a lil upset about that one..hhaha:D :D

Ranger Mom
10-11-2007, 03:44 PM

His name is Zach Keesee, he was a junior last season........The game I watched last year was Meadow vs. Garden City in Stanton.

I know it was a playoff game, I just don't remember how far into it we were.

Sweetwater Red
10-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Yes Trent has turf. But isn't it Blue like Boise St.????

RedWhiteBlue
10-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I know they are blue and gold or were.

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

i wanna say it is. i've only seen it from 20 when i exit to go back home

necks_c/09
10-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Bench riders on high school teams are star athletes at 6 man....

My bro played 6 man for CCS and he scored like 50 points in one game by himself, then went to b wood and was an above average player, just not the kinda player that he seemed to be at 6 man.

I know that is kinda obvious, but its true and there is 2 key examples in WC at CCS right now......

RedWhiteBlue
10-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09

My bro played 6 man for CCS and he scored like 50 points in one game by himself, then went to b wood and was an above average player, just not the kinda player that he seemed to be at 6 man.

I know that is kinda obvious, but its true and there is 2 key examples in WC at CCS right now......
I disagree. If you are 5'6 and over 225 lbs. and there is more than one of you on the team you probably will be riding the bench in 6 man.

necks_c/09
10-11-2007, 04:10 PM
I disagree. If you are 5'6 and over 225 lbs. and there is more than one of you on the team you probably will be riding the bench in 6 man. wait what?

If ur 5'6 225, u should prolly be on the line in 6 man....

and there usually aint 2 of those in 6 man......

Thats why its 6 man..... not reg. football....

And the fact is true....

there is a kid who was a bench rider at Wc and now is a star athlete at CCS.....(no name)

My bro is not a bench rider on 5a Brazoswood but is a great athlete but could never score 50 points in one game there just b/c of the talent difference and game speed....

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 04:14 PM

first 6 man is high shcool ...and where is ccs anyways...but like RWB said half of your 11 man players would have a hard time cutting it in 6 man...sure size is great but its not that good in 6 man unless you can move too...6 man is also about mental toughness seeing as almost all the players..unless your blessed with a lot of depth and talent....will go both ways with a whole lot of running goin on in the game

c-town_balla
10-11-2007, 04:17 PM
I know who isnt gonna be goin......Buckholts....they are just awful....

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
I know who isnt gonna be goin......Buckholts....they are just awful....

:D :clap:
just last year i saw the Trent QB and RB fall down in the backfield after what was supposed to be a hand off and they ran into each other

necks_c/09
10-11-2007, 04:24 PM
first 6 man is high shcool ...and where is ccs anyways...but like RWB said half of your 11 man players would have a hard time cutting it in 6 man...sure size is great but its not that good in 6 man unless you can move too...6 man is also about mental toughness seeing as almost all the players..unless your blessed with a lot of depth and talent....will go both ways with a whole lot of running goin on in the game CCS= Columbia Christian School

Most christian schools have a 6 ma football program.

Yea, but what im saying is an average player at a normal HS can be a STAR on a 6 man team

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 04:27 PM
CCS= Columbia Christian School

Yea, but what im saying is an average player at a normal HS can be a STAR on a 6 man team

if your fast or at least quick, i can see that. Highland has a running back that is a haus there but wouldn't see anything but the Pine Wood in Sweetwater

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 04:31 PM
CCS= Columbia Christian School

well usually there is a pretty big difference between private and public 6 man football with public being whole lot tougher...just take last year...Abilene Christian High School..one of the better private 6 man teams last year lost i htink all of its 5 games against public schools and they werent that close.....and alot of average players cant be stars either...if your a real star on a team you can usually be a pretty good player regardless of your classification

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 04:32 PM
if your fast or at least quick, i can see that. Highland has a running back that is a haus there but wouldn't see anything but the Pine Wood in Sweetwater

i will agree though 6 man does give a terrific opportunity to the smaller players who would have a hard time playing at bigger 11 man schools

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 04:35 PM
i will agree though 6 man does give a terrific opportunity to the smaller players who would have a hard time playing at bigger 11 man schools

you know who i'm talking about?

RedWhiteBlue
10-11-2007, 04:35 PM
My point was and is that usually your big boy is your center and everyone else better be able to run to the house and fast because that is where everyone is going and going quick. You have to be able to move.
And whoever said it, was right- there is a HUGE difference in private school 6 man and farm boy 6 man.

UPanIN
10-11-2007, 04:36 PM
There was a thread about Bellville going 6-man.

I pick Bellville.:rolleyes:

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 04:36 PM
you know who i'm talking about?

i am trying to figure it out actually..i think i have an idea but im not sure...your talking about this year...or a pastone

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 04:39 PM
My point was and is that usually your big boy is your center and everyone else better be able to run to the house and fast because that is where everyone is going and going quick. You have to be able to move.
And whoever said it, was right- there is a HUGE difference in private school 6 man and farm boy 6 man.

indeed...the years i played...our centers were all around 225...andthat was freakin huge to most teams....and our ends were ( where i was) usually around 150-180..anywhere in there...with the years we were really good we (the ends) all ran around 4.6 forties

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 04:40 PM
i am trying to figure it out actually..i think i have an idea but im not sure...your talking about this year...or a pastone

last year i know he was there and i think he is just junior or senior this year.
T. Jones

i heard good thigns about him last year, but he wouldn't see anything but the bench in Sweetwater

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 04:43 PM
last year i know he was there and i think he is just junior or senior this year.
T. Jones

i heard good thigns about him last year, but he wouldn't see anything but the bench in Sweetwater

oh yeah last year he had a pretty darn good year...this year was tougher for him..and he ended up quitting afterthe 2nd game i think..i felt bad for the team......

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by UPanIN
There was a thread about Bellville going 6-man.

I pick Bellville.:rolleyes:

hmm no i wouldnt think so...usually there is a short period of adjustment...unless of course your throckmorton:D :D

RedWhiteBlue
10-11-2007, 04:47 PM
hmm no i wouldnt think so...usually there is a short period of adjustment...unless of course your throckmorton:D :D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: GO HOUNDS!!!!!

JR2004
10-11-2007, 07:08 PM
I went to college with a guy who played six-man football at El Paso Jesus Chapel. Being small and quick is key in 6-man from what I've gathered after having seen it before as well as what my friend told me about 6-man football.

I believe Jesus Chapel won the TAPPS state title at least twice while he was there. I remember him telling me that they had scheduled the #1 ranked public school at the time, Whitharral. He said the players from Whitharral were mocking them and taunting them during pre-game, but didn't have a whole lot to say by the end of it. I think they may have 45'd them if I remember right.

Stownhorse
10-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Sweetwater or Abilene have been previous locations. Abilene had both divisions back to back last year and it drew something like 10,000 to 12, 000 fans!

Too bad they cant have it in trent....their turf 6 man field is nice but it cant hold that much fans.

RedWhiteBlue
10-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Too bad they cant have it in trent....their turf 6 man field is nice but it cant hold that much fans.
Hey they could come play it on Graham's pretty new turf, but stands don't hold that many, either......

burnet44
10-11-2007, 11:05 PM

had the Booker kid
great kid
last I heard he was running the quarter at PPU for Kitley
I shot the state qualifier meet at MCMurry
very nice well mannered young man

burnet44
10-11-2007, 11:10 PM
saw my first 6 man game in 1974