PDA

View Full Version : 2 Buckeyes to play in Army All-American bowl

lostaussie
10-10-2007, 04:10 PM
U.S. Army All-American Bowl wants Johnson, Snow

By JOE HALE

Saturday, October 06, 2007

GILMER — Running back Justin Johnson and lineman David Snow, key players in Gilmer's 5-0 start this season, have been selected to play in the 2008 U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

The official announcement was made Friday during a school-wide pep rally prior to the Buckeyes' game against Atlanta.

The game is scheduled for Jan. 5 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Johnson and Snow, who play on a Buckeye offense averaging 534.5 yards and 52.0 points per game, were selected by a selection committee from 400 nominees across the United States.

"I would like to thank my parents, coach (Jeff) Traylor, our coaching staff and my teammates," said Snow, a 6-4, 300-pounder. "It's special for me. The U.S. Army are the real heroes in that they fight for us and our freedoms. They're giving me the chance to play in this game. It's really an honor,'' Snow said.

Among those selecting players for the game are Scout.com recruiting analyst Tom Lemming.

"I need to thank coach Traylor, my coaches, my teammates and the selection committee for choosing me," said Johnson. "Without them I could not have achieved it."

Johnson, a running back and linebacker, has rushed for 560 yards and seven touchdowns in four games. The Buckeyes Black Flag defense is allowing opponents an average of just 236.5 yards and 11.5 points per game.

A former Buckeye teammate of Snow's and Johnson's, Curtis Brown, played in the game this past January.

"When Curtis was here I looked up to him," Johnson continued. "When he played in this game I watched it on TV and thought that would be nice to play there. It's an honor to get the chance to play."

Snow and Johnson both committed to play college football a year ago when Snow selected the University of Texas and Johnson the University of Oklahoma.

"We're very fortunate to have two great players selected to participate," said Buckeye coach and athletic director Jeff Traylor. "It started probably four years ago when Manuel Johnson was nominated, but didn't make it. Curtis went there last year and played well. Now, David and Justin get the chance to go and do well. It will be fun to watch them.''

The game will be televised nationally.