PDA

View Full Version : Who gets A-Rod ???

Sweetwater Red
10-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Three teams are rumored to be seriouly interested maybe more.

Butkus
10-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Whars tha who cares button ole son.
:devil:

crzyjournalist03
10-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Da Cubs

eagles_victory
10-10-2007, 03:37 PM
The Mets wont go after A-Rod where would he play they already are very solid at SS and 3B the Red Sox wont put the money up for him.

The teams Im hearing are San Francisco, Angels, Dodgers, and Cubs as the top teams in the running for his services other then the Yankees, As a huge A-Rod fan id like to see him leave the Yanks in a way

Sweetwater Red
10-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Butkus

Bitter Ranger fan??:devil: :D

Butkus
10-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Bitter Ranger fan??:devil: :D Nope old Butkus jus believes inna gettin a return ona investment. That rod did a little better in tha playoffs but not much. Why pay tha big bucks fur tha regular season.

Sweetwater Red
10-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Nope old Butkus jus believes inna gettin a return ona investment. That rod did a little better in tha playoffs but not much. Why pay tha big bucks fur tha regular season.

True. Didn't Steinbrenner call him Mr. May or June?

Sweetwater Red
10-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
The Mets wont go after A-Rod where would he play they already are very solid at SS and 3B the Red Sox wont put the money up for him.

The teams Im hearing are San Francisco, Angels, Dodgers, and Cubs as the top teams in the running for his services other then the Yankees, As a huge A-Rod fan id like to see him leave the Yanks in a way

Most of those are N.L. teams. I believe he would want to go to
an A.L. team because of the D.H..Not to mention the fact that
the A.L. puts up alot better offensive numbers than the N.L..

Big Papa
10-10-2007, 04:08 PM

thats what im asking.....thats all im hearing about nowadays...im like o my freaking gosh...yankees this arod this torre this...dont forget about jeter...TALK ABOUT THE INDIANS AND BOSOX DFOR GOODNESS SAKES
im done now

burnet44
10-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Nope old Butkus jus believes inna gettin a return ona investment. That rod did a little better in tha playoffs but not much. Why pay tha big bucks fur tha regular season.

Rangers are still paying millions to the yanks for a-rod
saw the breakdown on espn

I think the yankees will sign him
w/o him people will go
the yanks cant afford a 21m hit
the rangers paid 6-8-12 m the last 3 years to a-rod?
the numbers may be off
but the rangers are still paying for a rod

i think he stays

1. he needs 10-12 year long term contract
2. no one else can pay that kinda money 250-500m
yeah incrediable aint it
3, he needs to find a home for the hof
what is he gonna go in as Mariner, Ranger, Yank
he doesnt need to add more to the list
4. he is trying to break the hr and hit record
after baseball it would be better for him to be a yank and have those records than any other team
finiancially

i may be wrong
but for those reasons he stays

1 reason he might go
a ring
where can he go to get one?
george cant buy him one

baseball is such a low percentage game
its hard to pick a club
with a LONG term deal that you can win a ring with

yanks may give him his best shot
boston would but there is not enough money in bean town
and he aint johnny damon lol

Gobbla2001
10-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't think A-Rod is just done with the yankees, I think he's done with the city...

Angels

Gobbla2001
10-10-2007, 04:41 PM

there's a few of 'em down thur...

there should be a green arrow facing left button at the top left of your screen... click it with your cursor...

then you also have the buttons just below the "3adownlow" banner at the top of the page... those buttons read "3A Down Low Forum" and "3A Football Discussion"...

if those three buttons do not satisfy your need to not care about this topic, there is the ultimate "who cares button" at the top right of your screen... it is an "X"...

press any of these four buttons (or others you find take you away from this post) and you will not longer have to care :D :p

GreenMonster
10-10-2007, 04:42 PM
I say he goes back to Texas. Tom Hicks has already made the comment that he regretted allowing A-Rod to leave. Financially it would make sense for the Rangers, might as well get some bag back out of the guy that's still on your pay roll 3 years after leaving town. Makes sense for A-Rod as well as all it takes is a decent fly ball to reach the seats in the Texas heat. He can easily average 55-60 HR's a year in Arlington. He'd catch Barry in no time and make himself a lock for the HOF.

SWMustang
10-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Scott Boras is his agent. They better downgrade their payroll expectations because I don't think he's going to get a 10 year deal for 20 to 25 million anywhere. If any club does this - I strongly doubt they will ever win a ring.

burnet44
10-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
there's a few of 'em down thur...

there should be a green arrow facing left button at the top left of your screen... click it with your cursor...

then you also have the buttons just below the "3adownlow" banner at the top of the page... those buttons read "3A Down Low Forum" and "3A Football Discussion"...

if those three buttons do not satisfy your need to not care about this topic, there is the ultimate "who cares button" at the top right of your screen... it is an "X"...

press any of these four buttons (or others you find take you away from this post) and you will not longer have to care :D :p

doesnt Staples have an "Easy" button

burnet44
10-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I say he goes back to Texas. Tom Hicks has already made the comment that he regretted allowing A-Rod to leave. Financially it would make sense for the Rangers, might as well get some bag back out of the guy that's still on your pay roll 3 years after leaving town. Makes sense for A-Rod as well as all it takes is a decent fly ball to reach the seats in the Texas heat. He can easily average 55-60 HR's a year in Arlington. He'd catch Barry in no time and make himself a lock for the HOF.

true about the money
hits hr's IDK
the Stranger heat will wear on ya
I think he stays in the American
he can become a DH after the legs go

he is a first ballot HOF er right now IMHO

Gobbla2001
10-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
doesnt Staples have an "Easy" button

this aint staples, patna

eagles_victory
10-10-2007, 04:59 PM
I say he goes back to Texas. Tom Hicks has already made the comment that he regretted allowing A-Rod to leave. Financially it would make sense for the Rangers, might as well get some bag back out of the guy that's still on your pay roll 3 years after leaving town. Makes sense for A-Rod as well as all it takes is a decent fly ball to reach the seats in the Texas heat. He can easily average 55-60 HR's a year in Arlington. He'd catch Barry in no time and make himself a lock for the HOF. i would love it if the rangers brought a-rod back he lived up to his contract the first time he was here just never had much around him.

crzyjournalist03
10-10-2007, 05:03 PM

He's also stated that he regretted signing A-rod in the first place and would never do it again.

If A-rod becomes a free agent, he's off the Rangers payroll, opening up $7 million a year for the next three years. That money will be spent elsewhere.

I still say Cubs. Two loveable losers who can't do squat come playoff time...seems like a perfect match to me!

big daddy russ
10-10-2007, 05:08 PM
If he opts out, I don't see him going back to the Yanks. Steinbrenner's payroll is already just under $200 million and the Rangers are footing about half of A-Rod's salary as a part of the trade. If he opts out, he'll be looking for about $5 million more than he's getting right now.

Right now, NY is spending $195 million on player salaries and A-Rod's accounts for about $16 million. However, the Rangers are paying about $11 million to $12 million on top of what the Yanks have going out, so if he opts out, then re-signs with NY for the expected $30 million, Steinbrenner's payroll jumps into the $215 million-range.

With two guys (Jeter and Giambi) already slated to make $21 million or more next year, signing the first $30 million man all out of your own pocket is going to be tough, even for a team like the Yankees. Their pockets aren't infinitely deep, and they have bigger problems than third base.

They have a ton of major free agents, including two players out of a rotation that proved it wasn't built for October, and one of the best closers of all-time. They also have to worry about an All-Star catcher and opting out of his contract. If Posada opts out, they'll either be looking for more money or the Yanks will be looking for someone to replace him. If they do re-sign these guys, what happens to Bobby Abreu, who has a team option for $17 million next year.

Granted, Joba Chamberlain may be ready to assume Rivera's spot at the end of the game, but this particular team isn't ready to compete for a championship right now. Too many bats, not enough arms.

This is what I see happening. I see A-Rod staying in town so that the Yanks can work out a sign-and-trade while giving A-Rod maximum dollars, the Yanks picking up Mike Lowell from the BoSox for somewhere in the $10 million range, and Clemens and Petitte both retiring. I think Posada stays on at around $13 million a year, and Cashman goes after some arms.

Granted, there aren't many arms on the market right now, but there are a ton of bats. Trade Abreu for an arm or two, then sign a guy like Torii Hunter or Andruw Jones. If they really want a true number two guy, there's a Japanese import (Fukidome may be his name???) who can take over for Abreu in RF.

Rivera made over $10 million this year, so they'll probably let him walk and go after another arm in the bullpen cheaper-- maybe Eric Gagne. He's just as good, a few years younger, and can be had for about $4 million less than Rivera.

Besides, Brian Cashman has already said that they won't pursue A-Rod if he opts out (http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiretap_archives/7826/20071010/sources_yanks_wont_re_sign_rodriguez_if_he_opts_ou t/), and I believe him.

Honestly, I think he winds up with the Cubs in a sign-and-trade. It'd be nice for Yankee nation if they could pull Rich Hill and Carlos Zambrano for A-Rod and one of the Yanks stud pitchers down in the minors.

Looking at it from the other side of the fence, A-Rod gets his $30 million contract, he gets to leave New York, the Cubs get the best player in baseball for roughly $19 million a year, and the Rangers get screwed because he doesn't opt out of his contract.

Only problem with that scenario is that the Yanks wind up with a rotation full of righties and no left-handed prospects on the horizon.

Looking at it from that perspective, I think they wind up with Zambrano, prospect Jeff Smardzija (yes, that Smardzija... a lefty), and Hill. That'll bring them a future left-handed starter, a 26-year-old ace, and a dominant righty for the future. Besides that, their rotation suddenly looks good again.

1. Zambrano (RHP)
2. Chien Ming-Wang (RHP)
3. Rich Hill (RHP)
4. Philip Hughes (RHP)
5. Mike Mussina (RHP... Looks much better as the fourth starter than the second)

When Smardzija's ready, pull him up and stick him in the middle of the rotation. After a year with that rotation, you'll probably see Wang moved down to the third or fourth starter.

crzyjournalist03
10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Zambrano and Hill aren't going anywhere...The Cubs wouldn't have a pitching staff if they did that, and their offense is built to win NOW.

I don't think sign-and-trades are allowed in baseball...if you sign a player to a contract, you're not allowed to deal him until June 15 of the next year...not sure how that works with contract extensions, but I don't see A-rod having any interest in an extension...if he's heading out of NY, he's going to be a FA to drive up the price as high as possible.

R4Editor
10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
A-Rods agent is hinting he be asking for a long term contract around 12 years totaling around 400 million. :D he be lucky to get 20 million a year and 5-6 years contract.

SWMustang
10-10-2007, 05:13 PM
If I'm the cubs - I don't make that trade.

crzyjournalist03
10-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by R4Editor
A-Rods agent is hinting he be asking for a long term contract around 12 years totaling around 400 million. :D he be lucky to get 20 million a year and 5-6 years contract.

if he stays with the yankees, his salary for the next three years rises to $30 million a year...so that as crazy as it sounds is merely a starting point for contract negotiations.

With the way the Rangers structured the deal, they backloaded it so that the biggest portion of the $250 million was at the end of teh deal...in the remaining three years of his current contract, there's $90 million left.

eagles_victory
10-10-2007, 05:15 PM
what if the Marlins came out of nowhere and signed him... He loves Miami and i love A-Rod and the Marlins it would be great. But the Marlins spending that much on a player would definitly be the number 2 story on the news that night behind hell freezing over

Gobbla2001
10-10-2007, 05:16 PM
you think too much, russ

crzyjournalist03
10-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
what if the Marlins came out of nowhere and signed him... He loves Miami and i love A-Rod and the Marlins it would be great. But the Marlins spending that much on a player would definitly be the number 2 story on the news that night behind hell freezing over

haha...

I actually read somewhere this week a pretty convincing argument that if A-rod wants records, he should go to Tampa Bay where teams won't be afraid to pitch to him because the rest of the team stinks, so he won't be able to win games by himself.

SWMustang
10-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
haha...

I actually read somewhere this week a pretty convincing argument that if A-rod wants records, he should go to Tampa Bay where teams won't be afraid to pitch to him because the rest of the team stinks, so he won't be able to win games by himself.

the marlins can't even get 10K people to show up for a game consistently. I doubt he goes there. I would think he would be pitched around a lot more in tampa with no one to protect him.

big daddy russ
10-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Zambrano and Hill aren't going anywhere...The Cubs wouldn't have a pitching staff if they did that, and their offense is built to win NOW.

I don't think sign-and-trades are allowed in baseball...if you sign a player to a contract, you're not allowed to deal him until June 15 of the next year...not sure how that works with contract extensions, but I don't see A-rod having any interest in an extension...if he's heading out of NY, he's going to be a FA to drive up the price as high as possible.
They can't do sign-and-trades?

My bad. I was just doing stream-of-consciousness thoughts. Meant to say Zambrano, Kerry Wood, and Smardzija for A-Rod and one of the Yanks' high-level pitching prospects. The Cubs would be more than willing to take that on, seeing that Hill's about ready to move up to number one in the rotation and when Mark Prior's healthy that rotation's deadly.

The Cubs' lineup could look like this:

1. Soriano, CF
2. Derrek Lee, 1B
3. A-Rod, SS
4. Aramis Ramirez, 3B
5. Cliff Floyd, RF
6. Mark DeRosa, 2B
7. Jacque Jones, LF
8. Jason Kendall, C

Rotation
1. Prior (if he can get healthy)
2. Hill
3. Ted Lilly
4. Jason Marquis
5. One of the Yanks' prospects... Maybe Dellin Betances or Ian Kennedy

Pitching's not anything great, but if NY threw in a couple of prospects I'd do it. Too bad no sign-and-trades in baseball

SWMustang
10-10-2007, 05:31 PM
you feel that good about prior?

Old Tiger
10-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Only two teams that could afford him....Mets or Red Sox

zebrablue2
10-10-2007, 06:19 PM
he will stay a yankster, that's my guess. georgie will work it out.