PDA

View Full Version : anyone listen to jim rome?

Gobbla2001
10-10-2007, 12:36 PM
he had me rolling with his randy johnson stuff just a minute ago...

crzyjournalist03
10-10-2007, 12:42 PM
uggh...couldn't stand the guy on tv...has he gotten better on the radio?

Txbroadcaster
10-10-2007, 12:42 PM
he writes out and has writers prepare most of his stuff..then he pretends he is flying off the cuff

buff4life
10-10-2007, 12:46 PM
no joke...can't stand him

Sweetwater Red
10-10-2007, 12:47 PM
The best show he ever did was when he called Jim Everett "Chris
Everett".

He couldn't crawl up into the fetal position fast enough.

Talk about an instant classic.

:clap: :D :clap:

JasperDog94
10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
he writes out and has writers prepare most of his stuff..then he pretends he is flying off the cuff I've heard that from numerous people. I've always wondered if that were true.

Maroon87
10-10-2007, 12:56 PM
He was funnier 10-12 years ago...now that he works for a much bigger company he's become very PC. Still has some funny moments, though.

Gobbla2001
10-10-2007, 12:57 PM
I used to could not stand him myself... but one of the best stations I pick up at work is 610AM sports talk, so I listen to Andre Ware and those dudes in the morning, then Jim Rome, then the other two dudes in the evening and I started liking rome... he has good interview subjects etc... and I like the emails... don't too much care for everybody getting all anal and reading out their phone call slams, but some of 'em are pretty funny...

TripleH
10-10-2007, 12:58 PM
I can't handle Rome, he reminds me of Stephen A. Smith, Kevin Blackistone and Keith Obermann.:mad: :mad:

Txbroadcaster
10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I've heard that from numerous people. I've always wondered if that were true.

it is..saw it firsthand..That is fine for TV which is more strucutred..but IMO for radio i want it off the cuff

Basically a sports show will plan segments..and there might be some iternal discussion to see if it will be a good segment..BUT radio that sucks is when they fabricate an argument just to make good radio. Or fabricate the whole segment to sound off the cuff and live

Stownhorse
10-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
no joke...can't stand him

Likewise my friend.

Big Papa
10-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
it is..saw it firsthand..That is fine for TV which is more strucutred..but IMO for radio i want it off the cuff

Basically a sports show will plan segments..and there might be some iternal discussion to see if it will be a good segment..BUT radio that sucks is when they fabricate an argument just to make good radio. Or fabricate the whole segment to sound off the cuff and live

ok this makes more sense to me now..ive never even listened to his radio show...but i thought you were talking about his tv show being too scripted and not off the cuff...and i was like well waht are you expecting

icu812
10-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Don't listen anymore but the smackoff deal they do once a year is crazy.

eagles_victory
10-10-2007, 03:15 PM
we should do a 3adownlow radio network with like certain posters doing it certain hours a day bc i think id make a great sports radio guy

crzyjournalist03
10-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
we should do a 3adownlow radio network with like certain posters doing it certain hours a day bc i think id make a great sports radio guy

trust me from experience, it's much harder than it looks. Sitting in a room by yourself usually, trying to maintain your composure and thoughts and talking for about 15 minutes straight without going silent for more than two seconds is no piece of cake.

Sweetwater Red
10-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
trust me from experience, it's much harder than it looks. Sitting in a room by yourself usually, trying to maintain your composure and thoughts and talking for about 15 minutes straight without going silent for more than two seconds is no piece of cake.

I already know I would not be able to it do by what you posted. I
also use expletives quite frequently when talking sports. I
could see that getting me in trouble real fast.:D

crzyjournalist03
10-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I already know I would not be able to it do by what you posted. I
also use expletives quite frequently when talking sports. I
could see that getting me in trouble real fast.:D

I've heard some sports stations in Texas have up to a 32-second delay...that way they can hit dump up to four times without profanity getting over the air!

JasperDog94
10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I've heard some sports stations in Texas have up to a 32-second delay...that way they can hit dump up to four times without profanity getting over the air! Usually that's for the guys that call in though.;)

Sweetwater Red
10-10-2007, 03:28 PM
I've heard some sports stations in Texas have up to a 32-second delay...that way they can hit dump up to four times without profanity getting over the air!

That's what I would need. Now if I could just get past losing my
train of thought and getting tongue tied I might just have a
chance!:D

crzyjournalist03
10-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Usually that's for the guys that call in though.;)

LOL...usually the callers can remember most of the rules...;)

Txbroadcaster
10-10-2007, 03:57 PM
It is not just the 15 mins straight

It is doing it in a way that is informative and entertaining. being able to balance the informtation and entertainment factors everyday

Easy to talk sports on the air after a game like Cowboys vs Bills..But doing it day in and day out when NOTHING is going on can actually get boring

necks_c/09
10-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I love watching romes final burn....

always cracks me up.