PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech/A&M pre-game thread

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
This came up in a controversial thread yesterday. Which ended up being locked. So, I am not at all wanting to start that discussion again.

But someone suggested that hanging a dog was illegal while gigging a Texas Horned Lizard (frog) was legal.

Texas Horned Lizards are offered protection as a threatened species (federal category C2) by law. It is illegal to collect them alive or dead.

So, Gigging a Texas Horned Lizard would probably be an illegal act.

Just so we all know and are well informed 3ADL members. :nerd:

3afan
10-10-2007, 11:58 AM
i'll ask --- what is "gigging" ???

HippoBaseball05
10-10-2007, 11:59 AM
At the time "Gig'em'" was introduced, were horned frogs an endangered species?

FWIW, frog gigging is not illegal. Dog hanging is.

hth

3afan
10-10-2007, 12:00 PM
got it ..........

gig
1. a device, commonly four hooks secured back to back, for dragging through a school of fish to hook them through the body.
2. a spearlike device with a long, thick handle, used for spearing fish and frogs.

gigging
–verb (used with object) 3. to catch or spear (a fish or frog) with a gig.
–verb (used without object) 4. to catch fish or frogs with a gig.

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05

hth

And now thanks to the gigging and primarily other factors, Texas Horned Lizards are threatened and protected.

But Gig 'em is a direct reference and tradition based upon gigging Texas Horned Frogs. Well documented. :nerd:

Ranger Mom
10-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Why would a person wanna "gig one" anyway???

whtfbplaya
10-10-2007, 12:10 PM
eat

Big Papa
10-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05

hth
but horned frog gigging would be illegal...seeing how horned frogs are a protected animal...

a lil side note...at my house in sweetwater we used to have this big grandaddy horned frog that would come around every spring/summer....now you ask what is so special about that...well..the fact that this lil creature only had three legs and we saw him for i dont know how many years was pretty impressive...by the way i love the baby ones

Ranger Mom
10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
but horned frog gigging would be illegal...seeing how horned frogs are a protected animal...

a lil side note...at my house in sweetwater we used to have this big grandaddy horned frog that would come around every spring/summer....now you ask what is so special about that...well..the fact that this lil creature only had three legs and we saw him for i dont know how many years was pretty impressive...by the way i love the baby ones

I used to see them all the time around my house...I haven't seen a single one in a few years now!!!:(

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2007, 12:33 PM
by the way i love the baby ones
Me too! :)

Gp83
10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
When I lived in Ft Worth I saw them all the time.

luvhoops34
10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I have seen one horny toad in south texas and that was over at our ranch in LaVernia of all places. I would guess that to be about 20 yrs ago.

GetRDoneStangs
10-10-2007, 01:08 PM
I am willing to bet that the dreaded FIRE ANTS where more detramental to the species than man ever was !!!

Go Amdro!!!:clap: :clap:

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
I am willing to bet that the dreaded FIRE ANTS where more detramental to the species than man ever was !!!

I am pretty sure that it was man that introduced fire ants to Texas. But I could be wrong. :thinking:

Big Papa
10-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs

do fire ants kill them...what type of ants do they eat...the big red ones?

luvhoops34
10-10-2007, 01:15 PM

fire ants kill everything.

sweetwater07
10-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I used to see them all the time around my house...I haven't seen a single one in a few years now!!!:(

those things are as thick as weeds at my parent's ranch in Trent

Big Papa
10-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
fire ants kill everything.

and i kill fire ants:devil: :devil:

GetRDoneStangs

We don't have a lot of them out here yet....but it is a matter of time! They are very tiny and mean!!!

Ranger Mom
My kids brought a baby horny toad into our house one summer and they "lost" it. Probably 4 or 5 months later, we found it in a basket. It was still alive, but it was so skinny that its back had to be touching it's stomach. I put it outside and it ran off.

Tough little booger!!:D

Big Papa
10-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
those things are as thick as weeds at my parent's ranch in Trent

we used to have a bunch at my house..which was on the west side of swater and towards the city limits....but i havent seen near as much of them anymore...makes me kinda sad

sweetwater07
10-10-2007, 01:22 PM
we used to have a bunch at my house..which was on the west side of swater and towards the city limits....but i havent seen near as much of them anymore...makes me kinda sad

hmm thats odd, at my parent's ranch in Trent i can walk 100 yds and see 20 of them

a lot of open land and those big red ants which i assume they eat because they are always concentrated around them

and at my friend Stownhorse's house i have seen quite a few in his back yard

Big Papa
10-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
hmm thats odd, at my parent's ranch in Trent i can walk 100 yds and see 20 of them

a lot of open land and those big red ants which i assume they eat because they are always concentrated around them

and at my friend Stownhorse's house i have seen quite a few in his back yard

yeah i dont know where they all went....the only thing i can think of is we have around 10-12 cats at our house all of the time...so they might have something to do with the declining number at our house

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Just teasing BBDE.

Even though Tech does not display much defensive fire power, do you think the J-Train might get some loving on Saturday?

mistanice
10-10-2007, 04:34 PM
by Ryan Peterson

Lufkin's Jorvorskie Lane is tired of losing to Texas Tech. The Texas A&M running back says the Aggies will win on Saturday. Lane told the Houston Chronicle today, "I guarantee we are going to win in 2007. That's guaranteed, I promise you."

It's a bold statement, as the Aggies have not won in Lubbock since 1993. In Dennis Franchoine's only two trips to Texas Tech, A&M has lost by a combined 70 points. That doesn't matter to Lane. The junior is just six touchdowns shy of Texas A&M's all time rushing touchdown mark.

http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp?S=7191688&nav=menu118_5

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
"I guarantee we are going to win in 2007. That's guaranteed, I promise you."

Woohoo!!!! That pretty much seals the win for Tech. :clap: :clap:

rundoe
10-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Woohoo!!!! That pretty much seals the win for Tech. :clap: :clap:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/College_Mitchell/2007%20season/SI%20pics/t25_texam_ap.jpg

Never count your chickens......................
A & M 36
Tech 17

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by rundoe
Never count your chickens......................
A & M 36
Tech 17
Don't tell me......tell Jorvorskie. And 17? LOL! Baylor scored 10 on them. (I'm not even going to drag in the school that scored 45.....oh wait. :p )

rundoe
10-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Just teasing BBDE.

Even though Tech does not display much defensive fire power, do you think the J-Train might get some loving on Saturday?

Tech Def will be scattered all over the field after JL gets though running over them. Brings plenty of stretchers.

DDBooger
10-10-2007, 05:16 PM
didn't javorskie make a guarantee for miami?

rundoe
10-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Don't tell me......tell Jorvorskie. And 17? LOL! Baylor scored 10 on them. (I'm not even going to drag in the school that scored 45.....oh wait. :p )

just my opinion.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger

don't know. have been watching him pound the d and throw 60 yards

rundoe
10-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Like to get LHPM all stirred up, lol. I owe her big!!!!!

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Probably not. He hasn't got tired of losing to them yet. :devil: :devil:

mistanice
10-10-2007, 05:20 PM
don't know. have been watching him pound the d and throw 60 yards

what was his total yardage against Miami?

IHStangFan
10-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Don't tell me......tell Jorvorskie. And 17? LOL! Baylor scored 10 on them. (I'm not even going to drag in the school that scored 45.....oh wait. :p ) yeah...that score is way off....A&M will score 60+ at least...considering UTEP put up 30 something on Tech's D. :D

rundoe
10-10-2007, 05:21 PM
not even half of what he'll get at Tech

LH Panther Mom
Originally posted by IHStangFan
yeah...that score is way off....A&M will score 60+ at least...considering UTEP put up 30 something on Tech's D. :D
That DC resigned. :p

rundoe
yeah...that score is way off....A&M will score 60+ at least...considering UTEP put up 30 something on Tech's D. :D

I was just being nice

DDBooger
10-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Probably not. He hasn't got tired of losing to them yet. :devil: :devil: he did...this guy pretty much buries him for it!
http://www.cstv.com/video/?vid=5010

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2007, 05:22 PM
I was just being nice :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Since when? :p

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2007, 05:27 PM
he did...this guy pretty much buries him for it!
http://www.cstv.com/video/?vid=5010
ROFL! I like that guy! :D

RMAC
10-10-2007, 05:30 PM
The thing about all streaks is they ALL, every one of them, ALWAYS come to an end. I know ATM will win in Lubbock again. I hope its not Saturday. It'd be a lot easier pill to swallow if it doesn't end until I get out of school. After the Dallas game Monday, I've had the of that excitement for one week. But aren't those close games so much better than the blowouts?

rundoe
10-10-2007, 05:31 PM
ROFL! I like that guy! :D

He who laughs last......................:D

Nuff Said!!

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
The thing about all streaks is they ALL, every one of them, ALWAYS come to an end. I know ATM will win in Lubbock again. I hope its not Saturday. It'd be a lot easier pill to swallow if it doesn't end until I get out of school. After the Dallas game Monday, I've had the of that excitement for one week. But aren't those close games so much better than the blowouts?
I love close games, but this is the one game where I would love to see Tech hang 70.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 05:37 PM
I love close games, but this is the one game where I would love to see Tech hang 70.

in penalities

rundoe
10-10-2007, 06:01 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Since when? :p

OK, I won't be........:devil: :devil: :devil:

Old Tiger
10-10-2007, 06:03 PM
How can you go against Tech?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-4XS3XtZQ

rundoe
10-10-2007, 06:10 PM
My son goes to A & M!!!!!!!!

(and i get double points because it aggrivates LHPM, she has hit me with that bell too many times. Ever notice no matter how nice to her I am she hits me back with a smart remark?)

So I will root for them till they play TEXAS!!!!

JR2004
10-10-2007, 06:20 PM

When Lane makes a guarantee, by gosh, he comes through! He came out and guaranteed victory against Miami too and...

Oh wait...

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
How can you go against Tech?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-4XS3XtZQ
You've gotta love Tech!

What you don't realize is this. She is one of the Tech track athletes that has been given too much flax seed oil! :eek:

RMAC
10-10-2007, 06:30 PM

It'd be good momentum going to Missouri next week w/ them being ranked. But who knows, w/ us around 30-31 in most polls and aTm around 26-27, maybe we'll get some love and move in.

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 06:38 PM
It's hump day and I am feelin a little like a Texas Horny Lizard. ;)

necks_c/09
10-10-2007, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't know one if i seen it.

All i know is there are frogs at my house.

and who cares, the ags would lose anyway.

They will be receiving the "gigging."

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-10-2007, 07:33 PM
My only guarantee is that the Aggies will come out prepared to play and will play their best regardless. I'm optimistic for a win.

lostaussie
10-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
My only guarantee is that the Aggies will come out prepared to play and will play their best regardless. I'm optimistic for a win. well tell Dennis to get them prepared and lets go out and kick some Raider a$$. i'm kinda tired of losing in lubbock myself:thumbsup:

slpybear the bullfan
10-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Yes, the fire ants invaded the metroplex from parts east. And they decimated the "red ants" and the Horny Toads both... And lots of other things that creep and crawl on the ground.

Interestingly, after several years back in the 90s, the fire ants began to decline in our area. Exension agency credits aggressive use of pesticides in a concerted effort. Not sure about it but I am happy all the same. Both red ants and horny toads are making a comeback. Fire ants still around, but not nearly as pervasive as used to be.

I wouldn't worry much about the fire ants out west... they pretty much have to have water to thrive. Other than some lawns out west, I haven't seen any.

Anyone out west seeing them?

PS - Lots of fun when I was a kid to put a Horny toad in the middle of a red ant bed and watch him eat them up!

DaHop72
10-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Yes, the fire ants invaded the metroplex from parts east. And they decimated the "red ants" and the Horny Toads both... And lots of other things that creep and crawl on the ground.

Interestingly, after several years back in the 90s, the fire ants began to decline in our area. Exension agency credits aggressive use of pesticides in a concerted effort. Not sure about it but I am happy all the same. Both red ants and horny toads are making a comeback. Fire ants still around, but not nearly as pervasive as used to be.

I wouldn't worry much about the fire ants out west... they pretty much have to have water to thrive. Other than some lawns out west, I haven't seen any.

PS - Lots of fun when I was a kid to put a Horny toad in the middle of a red ant bed and watch him eat them up! :mad: :mad: Key word water slpy, our college golf course is overran with them right now. You have to be really careful or you can be set on fire. Of course if we could just keep everybody out of the rough.:D
All kidding aside they are in the rough, fairways and all around the greens, it's a bad situation.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
i'll ask --- what is "gigging" ???

I am sorry if we tell you, we have to kill you.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 07:50 PM
This came up in a controversial thread yesterday. Which ended up being locked. So, I am not at all wanting to start that discussion again.

But someone suggested that hanging a dog was illegal while gigging a Texas Horned Lizard (frog) was legal.

Texas Horned Lizards are offered protection as a threatened species (federal category C2) by law. It is illegal to collect them alive or dead.

TROUBLE MAKER, lol

rundoe
10-10-2007, 08:01 PM

Gigging BullFrogs is legal.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 08:03 PM

PS - Lots of fun when I was a kid to put a Horny toad in the middle of a red ant bed and watch him eat them up!

I seem to be doing a lot of correcting today, but fire ants did not decimate the Texas Horned Frogs. Heavy DDT use in the 50's and 60's did.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 08:06 PM
You've gotta love Tech!

What you don't realize is this. She is one of the Tech track athletes that has been given too much flax seed oil! :eek:
Sorry, I knew she had a problem, BUT........... I am still rootin for the Aggies

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
I wouldn't know one if i seen it.

All i know is there are frogs at my house.

and who cares, the ags would lose anyway.

They will be receiving the "gigging."

Yeah, We'll see. Thats why they play the game.

I hope PPU comes in as cocky as all the Aggie haters are acting, then we'll hit em' in the mouth. :devil:

slpybear the bullfan
10-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Friend, I assure you in our County the "red ant" population all but disappeared when fire ants arrived. And with that we saw fewer and fewer Horny toads.

Now we see a lot less fire ants, and a lot more red ants and horny toads.

Not a scientist, but those are my observations on a 200 acre Dairy and other environs in Wise County.

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 08:19 PM
The Aggies can win this one. They know what needs to be done and will go out and give 110%. BBDE I am behind you guys all the way, dont pay attention to all the haters, they are just wannabes.

luvhoops34
10-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Go Aggs!

Nothing I 'd like better than to see Tech get beat at home by the Aggs.:D

b_smith07
10-10-2007, 08:27 PM
I second that! WRECK EM' TECH

JR2004
10-10-2007, 08:42 PM

I'd settle for 70 in this one from Tech. With Lane's guarantee though, Tech will be lucky to break 50. :D

Bulldog_12
10-10-2007, 08:48 PM

No, he didn't guarantee a win over the u. He said he doesn't think anyone can stop the offense. Clearly that proved false that night.

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Gigging BullFrogs is legal.
But that is not what A&M is gigging. It is well documented. A&M is very proud of their traditions.

You probably need to read from the top all the way to the bottom before you show your burnt orange education.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 08:54 PM
And now thanks to the gigging and primarily other factors, Texas Horned Lizards are threatened and protected.

But Gig 'em is a direct reference and tradition based upon gigging Texas Horned Frogs. Well documented. :nerd:

We caught many a Horned Frog when I was a kid, never gigged one, always let them go. Bull Frogs on the other hand, we ate 'em.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 08:59 PM
But that is not what A&M is gigging. It is well documented. A&M is very proud of their traditions.

You probably need to read from the top all the way to the bottom before you show your burnt orange education.

DDT Ban Takes Effect
[EPA press release - December 31, 1972]
The general use of the pesticide DDT will no longer be legal in the United States after today, ending nearly three decades of application during which time the once-popular chemical was used to control insect pests on crop and forest lands, around homes and gardens, and for industrial and commercial purposes.

An end to the continued domestic usage of the pesticide was decreed on June 14, 1972, when William D. Ruckelshaus, Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, issued an order finally cancelling nearly all remaining Federal registrations of DDT products. Public health, quarantine, and a few minor crop uses were excepted, as well as export of the material.

The effective date of the EPA June cancellation action was delayed until the end of this year to permit an orderly transition to substitute pesticides, including the joint development with the U.S. Department of Agriculture of a special program to instruct farmers on safe use of substitutes.

The cancellation decision culminated three years of intensive governmental inquiries into the uses of DDT. As a result of this examination, Ruckelshaus said he was convinced that the continued massive use of DDT posed unacceptable risks to the environment and potential harm to human health.

Major legal challenges to the EPA cancellation of DDT are now pending before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and the Federal District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi. The courts have not ruled as yet in either of these suits brought by pesticide manufacturers.

DDT was developed as the first of the modern insecticides early in World War II. It was initially used with great effect to combat malaria, typhus, and the other insect-borne human diseases among both military and civilian populations.

A persistent, broad-spectrum compound often termed the "miracle" pesticide, DDT came into wide agricultural and commercial usage in this country in the late 1940s. During the past 30 years, approximately 675,000 tons have been applied domestically. The peak year for use in the United States was 1959 when nearly 80 million pounds were applied. From that high point, usage declined steadily to about 13 million pounds in 1971, most of it applied to cotton.

The decline was attributed to a number of factors including increased insect resistance, development of more effective alternative pesticides, growing public and user concern over adverse environmental side effects--and governmental restriction on DDT use since 1969.

This infoprmation did not come from UT, but the studies done by the Federal Goverrnment and many scientefic communities.

A & M could have only made a small dent in the population.

West Texas was covered in Horned Frogs. We could catch a red wagon full in an afternoon.

DDT was the main culprit. It was used almost exclusively to kill misquitoes unitil it was discovered the damage it was doing to the bird population and many other species.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 09:01 PM
NOT!!

Originally posted by whtfbplaya
eat

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 09:04 PM
I've been gigging, but it wasnt for frogs. Its a quick and easy way to get a good mess of fish. Of course dont let the game warden catch you, because gigging gamefish IS illegal. :devil:

rundoe
10-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
I've been gigging, but it wasnt for frogs. Its a quick and easy way to get a good mess of fish. Of course dont let the game warden catch you, because gigging gamefish IS illegal. :devil:

Bad Boy!!

rundoe
10-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Read my last post below you'll find out why. Had nothing to do with Aggies.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 09:12 PM
It's hump day and I am feelin a little like a Texas Horny Lizard. ;)

More like a Texas Pecan. (NUT)

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I'd settle for 70 in this one from Tech. With Lane's guarantee though, Tech will be lucky to break 50. :D

Thats not going to happen, the PPU offense shouldnt have enough possessions to put up that kind of points. The Aggies shouldnt have a problem running the ball on them and chewing up alot of clock. If Tech wins it wont even matter though, cause no matter how down the Stumblin' Steers are Tech will never beat them. :D

rundoe
10-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Friend, I assure you in our County the "red ant" population all but disappeared when fire ants arrived. And with that we saw fewer and fewer Horny toads.

Now we see a lot less fire ants, and a lot more red ants and horny toads.

Not a scientist, but those are my observations on a 200 acre Dairy and other environs in Wise County.

It has taken 30 plus years to undo the damage of DDT. I remember that when we would be playing little League Baseball. We'd have to stop the game while to fogging truck came by cause you couldn't see the field.

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Thats not going to happen, the PPU offense shouldnt have enough possessions to put up that kind of points. The Aggies shouldnt have a problem running the ball on them and chewing up alot of clock. If Tech wins it wont even matter though, cause no matter how down the Stumblin' Steers are Tech will never beat them. :D
Is that a JJ7997 guarantee?

rundoe
10-10-2007, 09:25 PM
The Aggies can win this one. They know what needs to be done and will go out and give 110%. BBDE I am behind you guys all the way, dont pay attention to all the haters, they are just wannabes.

There are no laws against giggin' Raiders!!!!!!!

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Is that a JJ7997 guarantee?

As a matter of fact it is, I guarantee the Steers or Texas as they are better known will indeed beat Tech as they do every year. :D

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 09:29 PM
There are no laws against giggin' Raiders!!!!!!!
Dude, I am revoking your Starbucks gift card.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Dude, I am revoking your Starbucks gift card.

I have never set foot in a Starbucks. I make my coffee in a pot, at home. Nothing but a big Frat house if you ask me.

Bulldog_12
10-10-2007, 09:42 PM
I tell you what, when we have a shirt that has a guy that has put a spear through a horned frog and present it proudly you can get on our case for it.

coach
10-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Did anyone see today on espn that the aggies running back, javorski lane promised a win against tech saying.........."I garuntee a victory this weekend. I promise you, we will win."

then win coach fran asked him why he said that he said......" I am a man. I can say what i want to say."

is this promise legit?

JR2004
10-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Nope no one has heard about this around here. :D

And yes it is legit!

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 10:19 PM
If they let him have the ball enough I'm sure he will do everything he can to make good on it. It doesnt hurt at all to have confidence in yourself and your teammates.

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Does anyone actually know the story behind the Tech mascot other than he looks like Yosemite Sam's drunk uncle ?

I was just curious as to what a Red Raider is supposed to symbolize.

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I tell you what, when we have a shirt that has a guy that has put a spear through a horned frog and present it proudly you can get on our case for it.
Calm down, no one is getting on your case.

It is just a fact that Gig 'em is a saying that A&M uses. Which is a traditional saying about gigging Texas Horned Lizards. And . . . now that the Texas Horned Lizard is under federal and state protection, the saying is probably promoting an illegal activity.

However, now that you mention it, I do see plenty of T-shirts that say, "Gig 'em" and they even include the horned frog gigging hand gesture. :thumbsup:

Old Tiger
10-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Javorskie and Martellus hate Fran.

coach
10-10-2007, 10:28 PM

why do you say that?

eagles_victory
10-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by coach
why do you say that? coach we usually dont see you on here this late nowadays

Old Tiger
10-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by coach
why do you say that? Just what I hear

coach
10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
coach we usually dont see you on here this late nowadays

no homework

lakers
10-10-2007, 10:32 PM
The Red Raider offense is just to strong for the aggie defense....
Raiders will win in a close one...

"Choke...the official drink of aggie football"...:D

JR2004
10-10-2007, 10:34 PM

I'd imagine they won't be exchanging any Christmas gifts with Fran this year.

eagles_victory
10-10-2007, 10:36 PM
your not at steen?

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by lakers
The Red Raider offense is just to strong for the aggie defense....
Raiders will win in a close one...

"Choke...the official drink of aggie football"...:D

Haha.

I believe its spelled too strong.

How many conference titles does PPU have ?

lakers
10-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Haha.

How many conference titles does PPU have ?
Who is PPU??? just wonderin:thinking:

Old Tiger
10-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Haha.

How many conference titles does PPU have ? Are you burnet44's brother or what?

IHStangFan
10-10-2007, 10:44 PM
dude...seriously....let it go man, LOL. There's a big diff. between a shirt w/ a thumbs up on it..and a dog w/ a rope around it's neck being hung.

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Do we really want another locked thread ?

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Are you burnet44's brother or what?

Dont suppose I am, but if if the shoe fits...

IHStangFan
10-10-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't know...but raiding is illegal..so they must be promoting an illegal act. :thumbsup:

lakers
10-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Red Raider: n. 1. a student, athlete, administrator, faculty or staff member associated, formerly or currently, with Texas Tech University. 2. One prone to wearing scarlet and black and Double-T's; also one prone to getting their guns up.

It's knowing that Texas Tech University is the best-kept secret in the Lone Star State.

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 10:51 PM
True, raiding is illegal. Unless its a panty raid. :D

IHStangFan
10-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Raiding is illegal w/ the exception of some FBI and military raids, and even then there's miles of red tape...red..seems to be a theme....Texas Tech has no affiliation w/ either. Therefore it would seem that The Red Raiders and raiding should be against the law.

:rolleyes:

enough w/ all of this stupid "gig'em" "hook 'em" "wreck 'em" is illegal crap. It's getting ridiculous. I made this post to prove that point.

Let it go people.

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 10:54 PM
dude...seriously....let it go man, LOL. There's a big diff. between a shirt w/ a thumbs up on it..and a dog w/ a rope around it's neck being hung.
There you go trying to redirect the discussion. This is not about that T-shirt at all. Now I am sorry that I let myself be goaded into using the word t-shirt. This thread is about the Aggie Gig 'em tradition.

True the thought about looking up the history of the Gig 'em and the legal/illegal concept originated from the Vick 'em thread, but this discussion stands on its own.

The Aggies started gigging Texas Horned Lizards in 1930 and now the Texas Horned Lizard is protected by law. Them is the facts.

whtfbplaya
10-10-2007, 10:56 PM

Gotta love people who can mind read.

Daddy D 11
10-10-2007, 10:57 PM
learned this while on a college day at Tech this past weekend..

RED RAIDERS come from Tech football in the 40's when their head coaches name was (Red)

and when they introduced the team, they introduced them as "reds raiders"

and it kinda stuck..the actuall mascot is the matador..

im sure most already know this..

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Well thanks, that is the answer I was looking for. My curiosity is now satisfied.

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
college day at Tech this past weekend..

What did you think?

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 11:04 PM
True, raiding is illegal. Unless its a panty raid. :D
It would be terrible if it turned out to be a red raid. :(

JJ7997
10-10-2007, 11:05 PM

Was thinking that myself. :doh:

rundoe
10-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Does anyone actually know the story behind the Tech mascot other than he looks like Yosemite Sam's drunk uncle ?

I was just curious as to what a Red Raider is supposed to symbolize.

"B" Movie?

rundoe
10-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Red Raider: n. 1. a student, athlete, administrator, faculty or staff member associated, formerly or currently, with Texas Tech University. 2. One prone to wearing scarlet and black and Double-T's; also one prone to getting their guns up.

It's knowing that Texas Tech University is the best-kept secret in the Lone Star State.

cough, cough, grasps at straw to breath

rundoe
10-10-2007, 11:13 PM

I hated those

rundoe
10-10-2007, 11:15 PM

RED RAIDERS come from Tech football in the 40's when their head coaches name was (Red)

senor madoros rojo

Daddy D 11
10-10-2007, 11:17 PM
i actually really liked it, the campus is incredible.

just dont know about the distance from LH? :eek:

but hopefully i play ball somewhere closer :D

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2007, 11:22 PM

Sometimes distance can be a good thing. ;) But, I know what you mean. Made that trip to & from on a Sunday this summer. :doh:

BobcatBenny
10-10-2007, 11:22 PM

I fly SWA. Get your guns up Doug.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12

rather not, I showed you the truths of the demise of the population. I have not denyed the legend. I just porvided you with the facts.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 11:29 PM

It is just a fact that Gig 'em is a saying that A&M uses. Which is a traditional saying about gigging Texas Horned Lizards. And . . . now that the Texas Horned Lizard is under federal and state protection, the saying is probably promoting an illegal activity.

However, now that you mention it, I do see plenty of T-shirts that say, "Gig 'em" and they even include the horned frog gigging hand gesture. :thumbsup:

Maybe you are seeing the gesture wrong. It's not a thumb.

lakers
10-10-2007, 11:34 PM
The campus is definitely one of the most beaitiful campuses in the nation...
And it is the second largest in the nation(largest is Air Force and they include their runways...) so get ur walkin shoes out.
u can actually fly round trip from lubbock to dallas for like 70 bucks...which is a pretty good deal.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 11:34 PM
There you go trying to redirect the discussion. This is not about that T-shirt at all. Now I am sorry that I let myself be goaded into using the word t-shirt. This thread is about the Aggie Gig 'em tradition.

True the thought about looking up the history of the Gig 'em and the legal/illegal concept originated from the Vick 'em thread, but this discussion stands on its own.

The Aggies started gigging Texas Horned Lizards in 1930 and now the Texas Horned Lizard is protected by law. Them is the facts.

[edit] Gig 'em
Main article: Gig 'em Aggies
Rather than end a conversation with "goodbye," many conversations between Aggies end with "gig 'em," usually accompanied by a hand signal in which the hand is fisted and the thumb extends upwards. This tradition began at a 1930 Midnight Yell Practice held before the football game against the Texas Christian University Horned Frogs. In an attempt to excite the crowd, Pinky Downs, a 1906 Texas A&M graduate and member of the school's Board of Regents, asked "What are we going to do to those Horned Frogs?"[11] Using a term for frog hunting, he answered his own question, "Gig 'em, Aggies!"[11] For emphasis, he made a fist with the thumb extended. The phrase and hand signal proved popular, and it became the first hand sign of the Southwest Conference.[11] Gig 'em is also the name of one of the school yells, which is used during football kickoffs.[12]

Those are the true facts

lakers
10-10-2007, 11:44 PM
"Choke...The official drink of Aggie Football..."
:D

rundoe
10-10-2007, 11:48 PM
"Choke...The official drink of Aggie Football..."
:D

Well, They sure didn't "choke" last week.

GoStafford
10-10-2007, 11:50 PM
but does statute of limitations attest in this situation

lakers
10-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Well, They sure didn't "choke" last week.
But they will this weekend...:D
They are gonna be in Raiderland.:evilgrin:

rundoe
10-10-2007, 11:51 PM

Using that logic , thousands of aggies fanned out all over Texas and single-handedly almost destroyed an entire species of reptile. Somehow Ifind that way to far-fetched to swallow. in lue of the facts I know to be true. Even for You BobCat.

rundoe
10-10-2007, 11:53 PM
But they will this weekend...:D
They are gonna be in Raiderland.:evilgrin:

senior matadora rojo land

GoStafford
10-10-2007, 11:53 PM
the j-train is going to smash you with his left eye brow for spelling his name wrong

GoStafford
10-10-2007, 11:56 PM
check out this website:

http://roosterbowl.com/

Bulldog_12
10-11-2007, 12:36 AM

If you aren't trying to start something or "get on anyone's case," then please stop re-hashing and move along. Your schtick is tiresome.

Bulldog_12
10-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Raiding is illegal w/ the exception of some FBI and military raids, and even then there's miles of red tape...red..seems to be a theme....Texas Tech has no affiliation w/ either. Therefore it would seem that The Red Raiders and raiding should be against the law.

enough w/ all of this stupid "gig'em" "hook 'em" "wreck 'em" is illegal crap. It's getting ridiculous. I made this post to prove that point.

Let it go people.

:thumbsup:

b_smith07
10-11-2007, 02:20 AM
Do we really want another locked thread ?

pretty sure you initiated the hate here buddy.

rundoe
10-11-2007, 07:29 AM
There was no hate. This is (or was till late in the evening) a funny , enteraining thread. Let's keep it that way. I think evryone knows the rules. Stick to em and have fun. (and Gig BobCat whenever you can, lol)

JJ7997
10-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Where did all of the Tech fans just magically appear from ?

When it comes time for one of the Aggie's rivals to face them haters just come out of the woodwork like roaches. :thinking:

LH Panther Mom
10-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Where did all of the Tech fans just magically appear from ?

I've always been here. :p

Ranger Mom
10-11-2007, 09:34 AM

I haven't seen one in several years!!

BobcatBenny
10-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Using that logic , thousands of aggies fanned out all over Texas and single-handedly almost destroyed an entire species of reptile. Somehow Ifind that way to far-fetched to swallow. in lue of the facts I know to be true. Even for You BobCat.
The amazing thing is that A&M fans can get on here and call anything others do ridiculous.

Have you ever seen the A&M football cheerleaders? Had to stand for an entire game? Or had to participate in Saw Varsity's horns off at a game to keep from getting knocked off of your feet?

I afraid the Aggies are just going to have to be tolerant of someone else's shtik. :bigcry:

rundoe
10-11-2007, 10:18 AM
The amazing thing is that A&M fans can get on here and call anything others do ridiculous.

Have you ever seen the A&M football cheerleaders? Had to stand for an entire game? Or had to participate in Saw Varsity's horns off at a game to keep from getting knocked off of your feet?

I afraid the Aggies are just going to have to be tolerant of someone else's shtik. :bigcry:

Who's crying? Seems to me that the Aggies have been the blunt of 1000's of Aggie jokes for years. But they still stand up and they still have Aggie Pride. Gotta give em credit for that.

BobcatBenny
10-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Word :D

Ingleside Fan
10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
The Aggies lead the Raiders in this rivalry 34-30-1. But the Red Raiders have not lost to the Aggies in Lubbock for 13 years. The Raiders will win big 48-28. Gun's Up, Red Raiders!:D

rundoe
10-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Ingleside Fan
The Aggies lead the Raiders in this rivalry 34-30-1. But the Red Raiders have not lost to the Aggies in Lubbock for 13 years. The Raiders will win big 48-28. Gun's Up, Red Raiders!:D

Gig Em:thumbsup:

BobcatBenny
10-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Gig Em:thumbsup:
Your promoting illegal activity. :D

I'm sorry, but I am going to have to refer you to rule #2. :eek:

RMAC
10-11-2007, 01:48 PM

If you don't mind the wind its nice to live here. You even see snow about 6 times a year. I don't think ya'll get too much of that down in L.H. do ya?

Panther One
10-11-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm not going to read through ten pages of comments, but I'll give my opinion. It really doesn't matter how good either team is or what the records are, Tech always plays their best football against the Ags for some reason. They can struggle with a UTEP, have their offense shut down by a TCU, throw pick after pick against Mizzou, and get it handed to them by a crappy Colorado team, but you can count on them playing phenomenal football against the Ags.

Given the Ags last three games (laying an egg in Miami, leaving at least 21 points on the field against Baylor, and not showing up in the first half against OSU), it's not looking good for my Ags. Tech will play one of their best games of the year on Saturday and if we continue to struggle, it'll be the first load of dirt on Fran's coffin, cause that thing is already nailed shut and in a 6 ft hole.

You just have to hope that J. Lane gets the chance to back up his prediction. A repeat of Miami and it'll be over by halftime.

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 03:17 PM
rundoe...where did you get the whole...the aggies werent responsible for the decline of horned frogs...im sorry but that just confused me because htat just appeared out of nowhere

rundoe
10-11-2007, 03:21 PM
sorry the threads were combined today. It was from another discussion with Bobcat Benny last night.

rundoe
10-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Your promoting illegal activity. :D

I'm sorry, but I am going to have to refer you to rule #2. :eek:

LOL ok, how bout" Stomp em Aggies!!!!

Was the one where I said "Gig BobCat" ok? I can't find you on the endangered species list , yet., lol

rundoe
10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
The campus is definitely one of the most beaitiful campuses in the nation...
And it is the second largest in the nation(largest is Air Force and they include their runways...) so get ur walkin shoes out.
u can actually fly round trip from lubbock to dallas for like 70 bucks...which is a pretty good deal.

Heck thats cheaper than driving!!!!!!

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
sorry the threads were combined today. It was from another discussion with Bobcat Benny last night.

oh ok that makes a whole lot more i sense...i think hehe

rundoe
10-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Good. There was a whole discission about the the "Gig Em" thing and the demise of the Texas Horned Frog in the middle. I guess when they stuck them together they came in cronical order or something. If you read way back, you'll see it, but it's all jumbled together now. Sorry not my fault.

sweetwater07
10-11-2007, 03:35 PM
A&M will win this year

Big Papa
10-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Good. There was a whole discission about the the "Gig Em" thing and the demise of the Texas Horned Frog in the middle. I guess when they stuck them together they came in cronical order or something. If you read way back, you'll see it, but it's all jumbled together now. Sorry not my fault.

no i read all of the pages....i guessed i just missed something

rundoe
10-11-2007, 03:59 PM
no i read all of the pages....i guessed i just missed something

Well it was long and drawn out with a lot of input from other people, but i can't re explain it. I have to drive to Rockdale and watch my son play the J/V/ Game.

Bye for now