PDA

View Full Version : Stephen McGee #1 QB at A&M This Spring

Ozzy
01-14-2004, 10:31 AM
I watched the Fox Sports Net show "Inside Southwest Recruiting" last night, and the Aggie "experts" said that Stephen McGee of Burnet would probably get the majority of the snaps during spring ball in College Station, due to the injury and repair to Reggie McNeal. The Ags are looking to sign a JuCo QB to serve as backup this fall, in order to redshirt either McNeal or McGee. I understand Stephen has already moved to College Station in order to begin workouts with his receiving corps, upon the request of Coach Fran and the players. Pretty exciting news for someone from little 'ol Burnet.

<small>[ January 14, 2004, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Ozzy ]</small>

Rabbit'93
01-14-2004, 12:25 PM
He's already moved to CS. Did he graduate from BHS at the end of the first semester?

Old Dog
01-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Yes Rabbit he completed his credits to graduate early. That has been his plan even prior to Long transferring or McNeal's surgery. Stephen is a very focused individual.

Bellville22
01-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Yea, the Aggies ran into a little trouble with the Long transfer and Reggie's surgery. I'm sure they would have loved to have Reggie take as many snaps as possible this spring to try to get the O rolling, but what great experience this will be for McGee. Hopefully they can find a capable back up, so that McGee can redshirt this fall.

Old Dog
01-14-2004, 04:52 PM
All those spring reps will really be great for Stephen, but a redshirt year would probably do wonders for his future. He could end up in the ole "Catch-22" situation.

Murphy Lee
01-14-2004, 05:07 PM
Jordan Chambless from Calallen might also be going to A&M. I think he's narrowed his choices to A&M and Rice. He'll also be playing baseball at which ever school he chooses. If he were only playing baseball, I'd say he'll choose Rice, but A&M would more than likely be his football choice. There's also a very good chance he's going to be drafted this summer in the MLB draft, so he may not even play college ball, or may play college football and pro baseball in the summer. We'll just have to wait and see. He might provide them with the opportunity to redshirt McGee. He could serve as an adequate backup should Reggie go down this year. But given this kid's size and speed, he might be playing a different position. Who knows?

<small>[ January 14, 2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Murphy Lee ]</small>

smbe81a
01-14-2004, 07:28 PM
From what little I've read, the injury to McNeal is serious enough that he will be very limited during spring ball. Consequently, the coaching staff may not know whom to red shirt until practice starts in August. Moreover, who knows what kind of JUCO talent the Aggies can land. Personally, I think the best for McGee is to be red shirted. Unfortunately, the future of most major football programs is NOW. So, if a JUCO transfer doesn't shine or if McNeal is not clicking close to 100% by August, I would expect McGee not to be red shirted. At least he'll have half a leg up over other freshmen due to his enrollment in January. Regardless, if McNeal or McGee is red shirted, let's hope that individual doesn't get 'called-up' toward the end of the season due to other QB injuries...that's the worse of all worlds...being red shirted & for a few quarters of play lose an entire year of eligibility.