PDA

View Full Version : TO delay of game penalty

STANG RED
10-09-2007, 02:39 PM
As much as I'd like to, this is not a TO bashing thread.
Got a question about that penalty though. Dumb as it was.

TO makes a completion for 12 yards, gets the first down, but spikes the ball (stupid) after the play is whistled dead, so it actually only nets 7 yards after the 5 yard penalty.
Question is: Does TO get the full 12 yards in his stats, or only the 7 since his penalty was responsible for losing the 5 yards?

I think he gets credit for the full 12, but I believe its BS and he should actually only get the 7 yds.

Does anyone know for sure?

Emerson1
10-09-2007, 02:40 PM
He gets the 12 officially. It was a crappy call anyways

Txbroadcaster
10-09-2007, 02:42 PM
It was a bad call..he did not spike the ball in anyway, all he did was toss it to the ground with an offical not far from the ball..like most players do

Easy way to fix this..Make the player HAND ball to offical, not toss it..then no problems with interpretation

pirate4state
10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
I've seen that replay a few times now and I don't think he "spiked" the ball in the traditional sense, he kinda just flipped it as you would do with a top. :D It was a BS call, IMH(omer)O. :D

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Penalties don't count against players yardage (and shouldn't). Thus, a QB could theoretically throw for 140 yards on one drive if his team racks up enough penalties...you can't deny the fact that the player made the play and got the yardage. Penalties are a different entity.

Sweetwater Red
10-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Easy way to fix this..Make the player HAND ball to offical, not toss it..then no problems with interpretation

The only player I have ever seen do this ALL the time was you
guessed it. Barry Sanders.:D

eagles_victory
10-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
As much as I'd like to, this is not a TO bashing thread.
Got a question about that penalty though. Dumb as it was.

TO makes a completion for 12 yards, gets the first down, but spikes the ball (stupid) after the play is whistled dead, so it actually only nets 7 yards after the 5 yard penalty.
Question is: Does TO get the full 12 yards in his stats, or only the 7 since his penalty was responsible for losing the 5 yards?

I think he gets credit for the full 12, but I believe its BS and he should actually only get the 7 yds.

Does anyone know for sure? if you ever watch an NFL game almost everyone does this flip that was a horrible call. Anybody else does that theres no flag. I even saw a game last year or so cant remember who it was might of been Dallas where i got caught the ball wasnt touched and flipped it forward like T.O. did and it was a fumble

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
if you ever watch an NFL game almost everyone does this flip that was a horrible call. Anybody else does that theres no flag. I even saw a game last year or so cant remember who it was might of been Dallas where i got caught the ball wasnt touched and flipped it forward like T.O. did and it was a fumble

yeah...but the rule was just installed this year...so I guess that's why they're being such butts about it...

3afan
10-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It was a bad call..

yes it was - at least all 3 announcers thought so (me too)

Cameron Crazy
10-09-2007, 04:57 PM
It was a terrible call, I will have to agree.

But can he jsut not hand the ball to the ref and get back to the huddle instead of showing off?

Old Tiger
10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Funny thing is Jason Witten flipped the ball further on one of his catches but they did not call it.

Emerson1
10-09-2007, 05:18 PM
If Nick Folk would of missed his 2nd fg attempt, he would of had a second chance. The bills were offsides and it was called.

JasperDog94
10-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If Nick Folk would of missed his 2nd fg attempt, he would of had a second chance. The bills were offsides and it was called. Is that what the flag was for?

3afan
10-09-2007, 05:29 PM
yes

trust Emerson :nerd:

JasperDog94
10-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
yes

trust Emerson :nerd: Uh......do I have to?:hairpunk:

Diocletian
10-09-2007, 05:48 PM
his penalty yards count on top of original yards

a penalty that causes the offence to replay the down would negate all yards played on that down

in this situation it was a on top penalty after the play was over, there was no foul durring the play: hence TO getting his full yardage... but his seperate stat of penalty yards is put in another column

so on one play he gets 2 columns of yardage

Rec Yards/ Penalty Yards

KTA
10-09-2007, 05:48 PM
What made me mad was Lynch "spiked" tha ball later in the game and nothing was done.

The officials sucked last night, what about that force out call they didnt call when Owens caught that ball on the sidelines. He had one foot in and was forced out (horrible no call)

rundoe
10-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He gets the 12 officially. It was a crappy call anyways

crappy call, wasn't even close to a spike