PDA

View Full Version : HS Mascots that just don't fit...

IHStangFan
10-09-2007, 10:44 AM
So....I was lookin at all of the HS mascots here in TX. I really like the Van Vandals...how cool is that? Then there are the obvious fits....Lamesa Tornadoes, Columbia Roughnecks.....which brings me to my story. We lived a year and a half out in Tombstone, AZ. We went and watched a few Tombstone HS football games (they were 2A suprisingly). Now...I thought for sure heading up to the first game they'd be the "Gunslingers" or the "Cowboys" or something like that...ya know..a fit....what is Tombstone HS's mascot? We took our seats...and out came the Tombstone Yellowjackets!! What the crap? It ruined my appetite...I didn't even want nachos. Then even more strange...I found out later when the "Yellowjackets to state" banners were up in town..that their playoff system is totally diff. Anything after district play is considered "going to state". :doh:

Tombstone Yellowjackets....what a letdown.

What are some of the mascots that to you...just don't fit? I always found the Sinton and Mathis Pirates strange considering they are both land-locked towns. (Although...Mathis IS near a lake)

underware
10-09-2007, 10:58 AM
My Family and I were in Tombstone in July of this year and I noticed that. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and the school was just down the road. My Father and I were thinking the exact same thing.

IHStangFan
10-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by underware
My Family and I were in Tombstone in July of this year and I noticed that. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and the school was just down the road. My Father and I were thinking the exact same thing. I think this was the first year the new HS was open...its a nice modern school unlike the old one up in town that's probably been there as long as the town itself. the old stadium is at the far end of Allen St. It's not much bigger if any than my back yard.

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 11:26 AM
I thought that the "Washington Nationals" was a major letdown when they moved from Montreal...I understand that they wanted to be patriotic, but does the word "Nationals" inspire patriotism in anybody???

What about "Washington Americans"? Heck, I'd have even taken "Washington Patriots".

3afan
10-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Gorillas? Zebras? Kangaroos? (Trent, Grandview, Killeen/Weatherford)

was there an escape from the zoo or something?

BobcatBenny
10-09-2007, 11:34 AM
This is the worst high school to mascot mismatch I know of in the state of Texas.

Henrietta . . . Bearcats. What the hay!

There is no doubt in my mind that they should join Hutto in utilizing the much feared and highly under rated Hippo.

Doesn't the Henrietta Hippos just ring in your ears! :D

IHStangFan
10-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

was there an escape from the zoo or something? LOL...no kidding!

LH Panther Mom
10-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Something makes me think that's the "name" of the Hutto hippo. :thinking: :thinking:

underware
10-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Something makes me think that's the "name" of the Hutto hippo. :thinking: :thinking:

I had one of those games as a kid. It was really fun trying to get as many of those little white balls?

sweetwater07
10-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

was there an escape from the zoo or something?

Trent Gorillas, i used to live in Trent and drive back and forth to school in Sweetwater and that town has serious spirit for their gorillas. not to mention their new football stadium with turf.......haven't seen very many 6 man towns with turf

Gobbla2001
10-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Anything with lions and tigers etc... where can I find one of those native to Texas?

Another one, Shiner Comanches... should be Shiner Brewers

IHStangFan
10-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

Another one, Shiner Comanches... should be Shiner Brewers HEY!! no kidding!! Never even thought of that one. Shiner Brewmeisters or something would be a bit more fitting....but then again right down the road you have the Gonzales Apaches....when in reality they should be the Gonzales No-Shows.....OOOHHH!!! BURN!!! I went there...Texas History 101 folks! :D

HippoBaseball05
10-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
This is the worst high school to mascot mismatch I know of in the state of Texas.

Henrietta . . . Bearcats. What the hay!

There is no doubt in my mind that they should join Hutto in utilizing the much feared and highly under rated Hippo.

I'm guessing this person has never heard the story of how Hutto chose a hippo as their mascot.

:doh:

b_smith07
10-09-2007, 01:59 PM
how about the new braunsfels unicorns?

And Im just gonna throw this one out there b/c it doesnt make sense: The Bay City Blackcats; yet their colors are blue and gold....no black whatsoever

AP Panther Fan
10-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05
I'm guessing this person has never heard the story of how Hutto chose a hippo as their mascot.

Didn't it escape from a circus or something?

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Anything with lions and tigers etc... where can I find one of those native to Texas?

Another one, Shiner Comanches... should be Shiner Brewers

wonder if they couldn't do that because parents thought it would promote underage drinking :thinking:

GetRDoneStangs
10-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Big Spring Steers......

or at least the girls side.....

Big Spring Lady Steers!!!!!

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: ...Can't recall the last time I saw a LADY Steer!:eek: :eek:

BobcatBenny
10-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05

Well, if the story doesn't end with something to the effect of, " . . . and Celina won the game", I am not sure I am really interested. :D

No, but seriously I would love to hear the story. Lay it on me.

sweetwater07
10-09-2007, 05:03 PM
i just saw a girl in my algebra class wearing a Devine Warhorses shirt...thought i'd lay that out there since i read this thread before i went to that class
haha

Footballhudini
10-09-2007, 05:14 PM
did anyone forget about the BUTTE PIRATES?

terrible name

CHSfan
10-09-2007, 05:22 PM
i love being the cuero gobblers!! but then when i am in basketball and softball and track and stuff it feels weird when ppl say lets go LADY GOBBLERS since a gobbler is a MALE turkey!! but i lk it lady gobblers ....has a ring!!

KTA
10-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Big Spring Steers......

or at least the girls side.....

Big Spring Lady Steers!!!!!

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: ...Can't recall the last time I saw a LADY Steer!:eek: :eek:

Graham is the Steers, but our girls are called the lady Blues.

One name I dont get is the Hamlin Pied Pipers, have you seen there mascot? :eek:

NHSBulldog75
10-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Back in the 70's, when I was still in Nederland, Beaumont had a whole bunch of high schools that were consolidated later...the high schools in BISD were French Buffaloes, Charlton Pollard Bulldogs (I think) and.....drum roll.......the Beaumont High Royal Purples!!

Royal Purples

also in Beaumont was the South Park ISD which had the Hebert Panthers, the Forest Park Trojans and........another drum roll....... the South Park Greenies

Greenies

the top floor of South Park High is where Lamar University first got its start and it turned out pretty well!

I was in the Lamar band in the mid to late 70's when Big Red was still in the football game. Now I teach math and science at Columbia High School

I still long for the return of the Cardinals to Cardinal Stadium

Go Big Red
Go Big Ned
Go Roughnecks

frogbacker09
10-09-2007, 07:39 PM
or blue ridge tigers: but their colors are green and white. no blue

Stownhorse
10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Whose mascot is the Roughriders? Is their moto "ride or die"? lmao that would be cool

District303aPastPlayer
10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Whose mascot is the Roughriders? Is their moto "ride or die"? lmao that would be cool

San Antonio Theodore Roosevelt

raider red 2000
10-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by KTA
Graham is the Steers, but our girls are called the lady Blues.

One name I dont get is the Hamlin Pied Pipers, have you seen there mascot? :eek:

guy i know....watched film on.

the hamlin pied pipers against the Winters Blizzards...coached by jack frost...school song....winter wonderland.