PDA

View Full Version : Region IV Player of Week Five

LH Panther Mom
10-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Try not to be a homer... :p

Nolan Nunez, Port Isabel - 11 carries, 274 yds, 5 td's, 1 catch, 18 yds in the 36-7 win over Zapata

Tyler Arndt, Cuero - 14/25/0 passes, 311 yds, 2 TD's in the 21-29 loss to Bay City

IHStangFan
10-09-2007, 10:35 AM
5 TDs is impressive no matter how you get them. Poor Zapata is a door mat this year.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-09-2007, 11:07 AM
It's Nolan's turn this week.

5 TD runs, regardless on who you scored them on, is still very impressive....also 274 yards rushing on only 11 carries? That's an amazing 24.9 yards per carry. :eek:

footballgal
10-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I finally get to vote for one of my own nominations! :D
Even though Arndt had a very good game too, but I gave it to Nolan because of the 5 TDs and the one catch.

The Nolan Express!

footballgal
10-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Following tradition
PI’s Nuñez lives up to his position
By PAUL CONATZER
http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1191905331-nolannunez2.jpg
Oct 8, 2007 11:45 pm

PORT ISABEL — Before the season even started, Port Isabel head coach Monty Stumbaugh knew that running back Nolan Nuñez was going to have a good season.
“He worked hard over the summer,” Stumbaugh said.
Nuñez showed some of the fruits of that hard work in the Tarpons’ 36-7 romp over Zapata on Friday night.
The senior rushed for 275 yards on 11 carries and scored five touchdowns, earning him the Valley Morning Star Player of the Week honors for Week Five.
“It was my biggest night playing football,” said Nuñez. “It was a pretty good feeling.”
Among Nuñez’s scores were runs of 80, 45 and 36 yards.
“I’ve got to give a lot of thanks to the offensive line,” said Nuñez. “They made my job a lot easier. They went and the did their job and opened some big holes.”
Stumbaugh said the PI offensive line is starting to mature and get better.
With the offensive line clicking against the Hawks, Nuñez was able to average an amazing 25 yards a carry, that’s twice his season average.
Through the first five games, the Tarpons are 3-2, and Nuñez has 822 yards and 13 TDs on 66 carries.
Nuñez said he was surprised with his performance, especially since the Tarpons had the week before off.
As a junior last season, Nuñez rushed for 745 yards and seven touchdowns despite suffering from some injuries.
As a senior, Nuñez knows this year is a little bit more special.
“I always go out and play like it’s my last game,” he said.
Like all Tarpons, he is steeped in the history of Tarpon football and knows that PI has suited up some legendary running backs.
“I don’t like to compare myself to the other backs,” he said. “I feel like I’m just another back that comes in and does his job.”
Travis Sanders, who rushed for 2,000 yards; Mark Villarreal, who became the first Valley running back to go over the 400-yard mark for a single game; Misael “The Missile” Iracheta, Jimmy Gonzales, and Johnny Nieto, to name just a handful, are all part of the PI running back lore.
“I grew up watching some of those guys,” Nuñez said. “I feel very proud to be a Port Isabel running back.”
Stumbaugh said because Nuñez is staying healthy this season he is able to rack up the numbers he has so far.
But the PI coach admits there is more to Nuñez’s game than just being healthy.
“He’s got good vision. He puts in the work and he’s a pretty humble kid. He’s a team player. He’s a good blocker and he’s got an extra gear. He’s become the complete back,” said Stumbaugh.
PI will open defense of its District 32-3A title on Friday night against La Feria in La Feria.

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/nuñez_664___article.xml/yards_stumbaugh.html

Old Green
10-09-2007, 08:36 PM
ttt

footballgal
10-09-2007, 10:34 PM
ttt

black bear
10-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Just wanted to know what happen to Mr. Nunez when PI played West Oso. I know he had that impressive 60 yard td to open the game . After that never saw him again. did he get hurt????

footballgal
10-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by black bear
Just wanted to know what happen to Mr. Nunez when PI played West Oso. I know he had that impressive 60 yard td to open the game . After that never saw him again. did he get hurt????
yeap he did, but he is ok now.

He did however managed to get 113 yards despite not playing most of the 2nd half and overtime.

black bear
10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
thats good to hear. I don't remeber who replaced him in that game but he did a great job.

footballgal
10-09-2007, 10:53 PM
It was #21 Junior RB, Diego Garcia plus the Tarpons, had to go to the air after that and Tarpon QB had 143 yards passing in the same game. But it wasn't enough to beat the Bears in the overtime game. Bear had a pretty solid performance against the Tarpons.