PDA

View Full Version : Clyde?

Texasfootball2
10-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Coach Slaughter has done a great job of changing the attitude at Clyde. They made the playoffs last year and have a good shot at making it again this year. They have played three good 3A programs (Vernon, Graham, and Burkburnet) and are 1-2, with both losses being close competitive games. Over the next two weeks they have a chance to take a huge step forward. They are @ Wylie, then they have Sweetwater at home. They really don't have to win either game to take the next step, but I do think they have to be competitive in at least one of these two games and not get blown out in either. Both Wylie and Sweetwater are playing very well right now. I still think it will come down to the game at Breckenridge on the 26th to determine their playoff fate. Not a whole lot of talk about their game coming up this Friday at Wylie. Most of you know I'm a Wylie homer, but I am always glad when our district competes well in non district play. I haven't seen them play, but they seem to be one dimensional. Kevil is a great back but if they can't throw the ball with some success, it could be a long night for the Bulldogs from Clyde.

sww-bull52
10-09-2007, 09:24 AM
I agree with just about everything you said. Everybody has been taking Clyde too lightly. I think it'll be a dog fight :doh: this Friday. I predict a fight for the top three spots in our district with Clyde deep in the mix.

Johnny Utah
10-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Abilene Wylie is very well coached and outstanding every year. Sweetwater is usually as well. Should be some very good games. Breckenridge has some tradition, will be a tough one. Comanche on the outside looking in hoping to drop to 2a.

STANG RED
10-09-2007, 09:41 AM
At least Slaughter has gotten that program turned around, which is usually a 3 to 5 year proposition. It usually takes a couple years of being right on the verge before everything comes together. I think Clyde is just at that point now. It remains to be seen as to whether they get completely over the hump. With Slaughters success, Clydes biggest obsticle after this year may be in keeping him around for long enough to get the transformation completed. I wish them luck.

Texasfootball2
10-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
At least Slaughter has gotten that program turned around, which is usually a 3 to 5 year proposition. It usually takes a couple years of being right on the verge before everything comes together. I think Clyde is just at that point now. It remains to be seen as to whether they get completely over the hump. With Slaughters success, Clydes biggest obsticle after this year may be in keeping him around for long enough to get the transformation completed. I wish them luck.

Good point, if Clyde were to make the playoffs again it wouldn't surprise me if Slaughter took advantage of the opportunity to move up. Especially in a realignment year. The only thing that might keep him their is if Clyde were to offer him a good extension AND Wylie were to go 4A in Feb. This would make the Clyde job a little more attractive. The other thing that could affect it is if the UIL votes this month to District teams by Div 1 and Div 2 enrollments from the beginning. This would also make the Clyde job more promising. If it stays the way it is, I would bet he would leave.

VWG
10-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Good point, if Clyde were to make the playoffs again it wouldn't surprise me if Slaughter took advantage of the opportunity to move up. Especially in a realignment year. The only thing that might keep him their is if Clyde were to offer him a good extension AND Wylie were to go 4A in Feb. This would make the Clyde job a little more attractive. The other thing that could affect it is if the UIL votes this month to District teams by Div 1 and Div 2 enrollments from the beginning. This would also make the Clyde job more promising. If it stays the way it is, I would bet he would leave.

Good points.... but for my opinion I think most coaches leave for money and bigger programs. Sandifer hasn't left Wylie because he is paid huge dollars by Wylie and he is a big fish in a small pond. That usually equals yearly success which in his case it has.
Jackson has looked around, and would probably leave Sweetwater for more money and a shot at coaching a larger 4A or 5A program. Same thing for Slaughter or a lot of other coaches out there.
The Charlie Johnstons (retired Childress) and Johnny Taylors (Idalou) of the world are hard to come by these days. Even Bob Shipley left his hometown of Burnet for more money and a larger program to work in.
Something to think about.........

Texasfootball2
10-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Good points.... but for my opinion I think most coaches leave for money and bigger programs. Sandifer hasn't left Wylie because he is paid huge dollars by Wylie and he is a big fish in a small pond. That usually equals yearly success which in his case it has.
Jackson has looked around, and would probably leave Sweetwater for more money and a shot at coaching a larger 4A or 5A program. Same thing for Slaughter or a lot of other coaches out there.
The Charlie Johnstons (retired Childress) and Johnny Taylors (Idalou) of the world are hard to come by these days. Even Bob Shipley left his hometown of Burnet for more money and a larger program to work in.

Great Post VWG, I actually thought Jackson would leave after last year because it didn't look like he would ever have that much talent and speed again, and he was rumored to be interested in some 5A jobs. As for Hugh Sandifer, he is paid good but I wouldn't call it huge bucks, may not even be highest paid 3A coach in the state. Wylie school district pay scale for teachers is just barely above state base. And since Bob Shipley is probably my best friend on the planet, I would have to say your right. This job really does boost his retirement on up their so money had a lot to do with it. I wonder if this is Slaughter's first head coaching job or if he was a head coach before he came to Clyde. Number of head coaching years will play a big role in his opportunities to advance.

Sweetwater Red
10-10-2007, 08:29 AM
I actually thought Jackson would leave after last year because it didn't look like he would ever have that much talent and speed again, and he was rumored to be interested in some 5A jobs.

I heard he had tried to get one of the 5A Permian Basin jobs.:thinking:

Texasfootball2
10-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Heard the same thing.

STANG RED
10-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by VWG

I truly believe Jackson hasnt been offered the kind of job he is looking for, because he is just too ultra conservative in his football coaching style for the 4As & especially 5A programs.

As for Sandifer, he is just so intrenched at Wylie, makes a very good paycheck, still has a kid in school there, and probably truley realizes how good he has it there. Once all his kids are grown, he might look to take on the challeng on a bigger stage, who knows. But I'd bet he would be very choosey about where he would be willing to go. Then again he may be perfectly content to just live out the good life right where he's at, where he knows he can count on a reasonable amount of success year in and year out. Who could blame him? It's a great job.

injuredinmelee
10-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

he was actuallly one of the finalist for the Lee job that Quisenberry took.

Sweetwater Red
10-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
he was actuallly one of the finalist for the Lee job that Quisenberry took.

That's the one!:clap:

I was thinking that would be a big jump going from 3A to 5A.

lakers
10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Great Post VWG, I actually thought Jackson would leave after last year because it didn't look like he would ever have that much talent and speed again, and he was rumored to be interested in some 5A jobs. As for Hugh Sandifer, he is paid good but I wouldn't call it huge bucks, may not even be highest paid 3A coach in the state. Wylie school district pay scale for teachers is just barely above state base. And since Bob Shipley is probably my best friend on the planet, I would have to say your right. This job really does boost his retirement on up their so money had a lot to do with it. I wonder if this is Slaughter's first head coaching job or if he was a head coach before he came to Clyde. Number of head coaching years will play a big role in his opportunities to advance.
This is actually him second head coaching job.
He was at Hearne a 2a school for several years. He is trying to accomplish the same thing he did at Hearne, turn a program around and get them to become a successful program. He got the Hearne program back into the playoffs after like a 20 year playoff drought. I think he really enjoys going to schools that haven't had much success and try to turn them around. And another reason that he came to the big country is because his family resides there. His parents are from Ballinger and he went to high school in Winters.

sweetwater07
10-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I truly believe Jackson hasnt been offered the kind of job he is looking for, because he is just too ultra conservative in his football coaching style for the 4As & especially 5A programs.

As for Sandifer, he is just so intrenched at Wylie, makes a very good paycheck, still has a kid in school there, and probably truley realizes how good he has it there. Once all his kids are grown, he might look to take on the challeng on a bigger stage, who knows. But I'd bet he would be very choosey about where he would be willing to go. Then again he may be perfectly content to just live out the good life right where he's at, where he knows he can count on a reasonable amount of success year in and year out. Who could blame him? It's a great job.

i heard Sandifer is one of the original coaches Wylie hired when they first became a school, and his paycheck i heard was more than generous. i wouldn't go anywhere if i was him

Snyder_TigerFan
10-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
i heard Sandifer is one of the original coaches Wylie hired when they first became a school, and his paycheck i heard was more than generous. i wouldn't go anywhere if i was him

He's paid about 15K less than Abilene High and Cooper's head coaches. That still puts him at about 83K (last year).

Link (http://www.reporternews.com/news/2006/aug/31/football-coaches-still-paid-way-more-than/)

pero chato
10-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07

Wylie became a school in the early part of the century, around 1903. So he looks pretty good for someone over 100 years old.
j/k! He's been around since the (don't quote me) early '80's and used to coach both basketball and football up until Wylie started going deeper into the football playoffs.

DaHop72
10-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I know one things, I always knew he looked big on the sideline but I met him one spring break at a gas station in Raton and that is one huge man.