PDA

View Full Version : Should the horse-collar tackle be outlawed for hs football?

luvhoops34
10-09-2007, 08:41 AM
H.S. Football: Coaches mull horse-collar tackle

Web Posted: 10/08/2007 10:19 PM CDT

Chad Peters
Express-News

Once it became clear two years ago the increasingly popular "horse-collar" tackle posed an injury risk to its players, the NFL wasted little time in banning the controversial technique.

It now draws a 15-yard penalty and, potentially, a fine.

But the horse collar remains part of the high school game these days, most notably last weekend when Madison running back Devin Thomas' season came to an end after he suffered a broken ankle on such a tackle against Reagan.

So is it time for high school football to follow the NFL's lead and outlaw the horse collar?

Some area coaches say they think so. Others, such as Smithson Valley coach Larry Hill, say they aren't so sure.

"As sad as this injury is, it is unfortunately part of the game," Hill said. "My personal feeling is that horse collaring is rare and I'm not sure if it's ever intended. Cut tackles and blocks bring about far more injuries.

"I don't know if I have an opinion on whether any of this ought to be subjected to penalties."

Reagan coach David Wetzel agreed, saying, "I honestly can't say that I've seen it any more (recently). It's not something that, to me, has been brought to the forefront until (the Thomas injury) happened. It's something that had never crossed my mind."

The horse collar was made popular by Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams, who in 2004 severely injured the legs of three players while using it, including then-Philadelphia wide receiver Terrell Owens.

The controversial technique involves grasping inside the back of the shoulder pads to yank the opposing player to the ground. Though not used to intentionally cause injury, it has proven dangerous because it often traps the player's legs underneath him as he is jerked to the field.

"In the old days we tackled any way we could," O'Connor coach Danny Padron said. "It's the same thing. We're aware of that now. It might be looked at in the future, but you're still going to get guys doing it. Roy Williams still tackles that way."

Since high school football operates under the rules of the NCAA, the college game must first ban the horse collar for it to become illegal on high school fields.

Lewis Stroud, a high school football referee for 35 years, said he hasn't seen many horse-collar tackles in games he's officiated this season. Still, he said he thinks the NCAA might consider banning the technique when it convenes next offseason to discuss potential rule changes.

"They take everything into consideration in regards to safety," Stroud said. "In fact, the majority of the football rules are for safety. ... If there is some kind of problem, they will pick up on that and make rules to take care of that."

Lanier offensive coordinator Lyn Boehme said he thinks those safety concerns eventually will lead to the horse collar being penalized. Though he said he doesn't know anyone who coaches the technique, he estimated seeing the horse collar two to three times per game.

"Until Roy Williams came up with the approach, it was not a big deal," he said. "It's become more popular now.

"When it happens, it is often catastrophic."

http://www.sagametime.com/web/district.html?site=default&tpl=url&url=http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hssports/football/stories/MYSA100907.8D.FBHhorsecollar.2c69063.html

Old Tiger
10-09-2007, 08:49 AM
No high school football isn't a job like it is in the NFL. It should even be banned on the college level. People need to quit wussifying this damn country.

block&tackle
10-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I think that the horse-collar tackle penalty should be the same in high school as it is in the NFL - if Roy Williams shows up at a high school game and horse-collars someone, he should get a penalty. Anyone else does it and the refs should let it slide.

Old Tiger
10-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by block&tackle
I think that the horse-collar tackle penalty should be the same in high school as it is in the NFL - if Roy Williams shows up at a high school game and horse-collars someone, he should get a penalty. Anyone else does it and the refs should let it slide. lol

Stownhorse
10-09-2007, 09:47 AM
No, because what else is there to grab if your beat and the guy is starting to pull away? the collar

GreenMonster
10-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Actually had this called on us in a game once this year. It was officially a "personal foul" but the creep on our sideline that threw the flag told us it was for a horse collar. We tried to tell him it was only an NFL rule but he wasn't listening.