PDA

View Full Version : The NFL Needs a Timeout Rule!

JR2004
10-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Heck I'm a Skins fan and I'd have been pretty pissed to see Dallas lose that game because of some junk like that. I've never really cared much for Buffalo so I was actually glad to see him hit the 2nd one as well, especially after that timeout.

Putting in a rule at the annual league meetings has got to be a priority during the off-season. Something simple that's been suggested by many folks of no timeouts once the play clock is at 10 seconds seems reasonable enough to me. Seeing these coaches continually do this is just maddening to watch.

GoStafford
10-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Heck I'm a Skins fan and I'd have been pretty pissed to see Dallas lose that game because of some junk like that. I've never really cared much for Buffalo so I was actually glad to see him hit the 2nd one as well, especially after that timeout.

Putting in a rule at the annual league meetings has got to be a priority during the off-season. Something simple that's been suggested by many folks of no timeouts once the play clock is at 10 seconds seems reasonable enough to me. Seeing these coaches continually do this is just maddening to watch. Their are no original coaching ideas.....

Emerson1
10-08-2007, 11:20 PM

Putting in a rule at the annual league meetings has got to be a priority during the off-season. Something simple that's been suggested by many folks of no timeouts once the play clock is at 10 seconds seems reasonable enough to me. Seeing these coaches continually do this is just maddening to watch.
No, they just don't need to let coaches call timeouts anymore.

wildstangs
10-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I disagree - its your time out - use it when you want.

Old Tiger
10-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Why when you have Nick Folk and his clutchness?

Gobbla2001
10-08-2007, 11:22 PM
yah, calling timeouts like that is pretty rude I think... like honestly it's cheap... not illegal though so they probably do need to change something in those rules...

burnet44
10-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I disagree - its your time out - use it when you want.

agreed
as long as the ball aint in play
but it will probably get changed
because the league gives the O all the breaks
keep it

gotta give the Cows kicker cred
he did it 2x
deserved to win

Ranger Mom
10-08-2007, 11:23 PM
I can't help but wonder if the shoe had been on the other foot if we would still have the same opinion (I have had to listen to my husband gripe about it the past 30 minutes) OR would we have been saying the Dallas has the greatest coaches EVER????:thinking:

Bull's-eye
10-08-2007, 11:24 PM
What happens if the kicker misses the first attempt? The coach just called timeout and now the kicker gets another shot. He nails the second and wins the game. How smart does that coach look?

rundoe
10-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I can't help but wonder if the shoe had been on the other foot if we would still have the same opinion (I have had to listen to my husband gripe about it the past 30 minutes) OR would we have been saying the Dallas has the greatest coaches EVER????:thinking:

I don;t like the time out rule

Darren
10-08-2007, 11:26 PM

I agree that it's your timeout to use and if you want to ice the kicker thats fine. However don't wait until right before the play starts so that the kick has to actually kick the ball before you call it.

Gobbla2001
10-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
What happens if the kicker misses the first attempt? The coach just called timeout and now the kicker gets another shot. He nails the second and wins the game. How smart does that coach look?

that would really suck

Ranger Mom
10-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Darren
I agree that it's your timeout to use and if you want to ice the kicker thats fine. However don't wait until right before the play starts so that the kick has to actually kick the ball before you call it.

I agree...I think if they don't call it BEFORE the kicker is able to stop the kick, then the kick should count!!

sinton66
10-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Believe it or not, I've seen the same thing done in highschool football. In my opinion, once the ball is snapped, it's too late to call a timeout. Cost Sinton a playoff game back in the 90's.(Wasn't on a kick, though).

Darren
10-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I agree...I think if they don't call it BEFORE the kicker is able to stop the kick, then the kick should count!!

I don't know if I've told you this before but you are one of the smartest people I know.

I guess I don't know many people

Bull's-eye
10-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
No, they just don't need to let coaches call timeouts anymore.

How would that solve the problem? A player could call the timeout at the last second just like the coach.

3afan
10-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Believe it or not, I've seen the same thing done in highschool football. In my opinion, once the ball is snapped, it's too late to call a timeout. Cost Sinton a playoff game back in the 90's.(Wasn't on a kick, though).

once the ball is snapped, it IS too late to call timeout .....

the timeout tonight & in the other few NFL games when last second FGs were attempted were called just prior to the snap.

3afan
10-09-2007, 06:27 AM
How would that solve the problem? A player could call the timeout at the last second just like the coach.

if the league can do anything then that seems logical ... at least the player is out there and everyone can see him.

VAMike
10-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Calling the late-second timeout is similar to ruling on a dead ball. Even if the covering official does not signal that the ball is dead, i.e. whistle, timeout signal, etc, the ball is still "dead by rule" in many cases. Same here...even if the ref who received the timeout request does not have time to get in and advise rest of the crew before the ball is snapped, the bottom line is the timeout was requested by the coach and acknowledged by that ref so the timeout is considered granted immediately, regardless of what happens later. Same thing happens some times when the play clock is running out. One ref sees the clock expire and flags but another ref has already received a timeoput request from the QB before the clock expired so the flag is disregarded.

(For the record, I did not agree with the decision to bring that option {coach calling timeout} into the NCAA rules and still don't like it}

IHStangFan
10-09-2007, 06:47 AM
I made the comment to my wife last night...."there will be a rule in place by next season that will eliminate this crap"

VAMike
10-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Don't count on it. Coaches still have a great deal of influence over rule changes and even though they hate to see this done to themselves, they sure like to do it to others.

rundoe
10-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Darren

Looked like the ref was slow getting the call out. Still don't like the rule.

Txbroadcaster
10-09-2007, 07:30 AM
as mentioned earlier..All it will take is one coach using that rule thE FG is missed and the fans going crazy thinking they won, just to find out the coach called a TO and the kicker gets another chance, and in turn nails it for the win..That IMO will slow the TOs down

Darren
10-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
as mentioned earlier..All it will take is one coach using that rule thE FG is missed and the fans going crazy thinking they won, just to find out the coach called a TO and the kicker gets another chance, and in turn nails it for the win..That IMO will slow the TOs down

I still don't think that this will affect it.

It's a stupid way of icing the kicker and the rule will be changed for next year.

STANG RED
10-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Just make it a rule that the time out has to be called before the kicking team is set. Seems simple enough to me. Might make way too much sense though.

Reds fan
10-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I don't like the rule either but the hard part is how do you change it? If as some suggest you can't call TO after offense is set, what happens if offense wants a time out? Example, offense suddenly sees the play clock running out....can you say only defense can not call TO? I think NFL may be a victim of it own rules decisions on this situation and will have a hard time changing this one

Phil C
10-09-2007, 10:39 AM
This has been done in college as well as the pros. I think they both need to set up a rule. If a team is going for a field goal once they are lined up it should be too late to call the timeout.

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I've seen it in at least four games in the last few weeks, and I think it's just plain stupid...it's worked about half of the time, and even if the shoe had been on the other foot, I'd have been happy if it worked out because they were playing within the rules, but that still doesn't mean I'd think that they should leave the rule alone.

DU_stud04
10-09-2007, 12:29 PM
why is everyone making a big deal about this NOW? its been going on for a good while now. i think its a cheap move, but in a last second desperation, it can help you win it. i used to kick and to me it would make me more confident if i was able to kick the ball once before it actually counted. gets rid of those gidders so the second one feels easier. (i.e. like is baseball you faced that really fast pitcher and you weere scared but the first one you fouled itoff? now you just gained a little confidence that you can do it.

what would have been hilarious is if the cowboys would have missed the first one, but the bills coach calls a time out.... then the cowboys get the second chance and make it to win the game. its a gamble, expecially from being that far out.

i say keep it how it is.

burnet44
10-09-2007, 12:39 PM
what if the kicking team fakes it
then its a regular play from scrimage (all are actually)
run or pass
people are confussed here
its a play
and unless you change the rule for ALL plays
then you cant change it just when someone is lined up to kick
kinda like a punt
which I know is COP
but a FG can be too

look its a regular play from scrimage
to change the timeout for it
effects all other plays

THATS WHY YOU DONT CHANGE IT

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
why is everyone making a big deal about this NOW? its been going on for a good while now. i think its a cheap move, but in a last second desperation, it can help you win it. i used to kick and to me it would make me more confident if i was able to kick the ball once before it actually counted. gets rid of those gidders so the second one feels easier. (i.e. like is baseball you faced that really fast pitcher and you weere scared but the first one you fouled itoff? now you just gained a little confidence that you can do it.

what would have been hilarious is if the cowboys would have missed the first one, but the bills coach calls a time out.... then the cowboys get the second chance and make it to win the game. its a gamble, expecially from being that far out.

i say keep it how it is.

the thing that would have made it even better was the fact that Buffalo was offsides on the second kick...just imagine him missing that second kick, Buffalo celebrating, then the refs give Dallas five extra yards and Folk nails the third kick!

Darren
10-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Its simple..... Just don't let teams call a timeout one second before a FG attempt.

Tell the coaches that if they want to use a field goal to Ice the kicker that they can but it will not be allowed as the ball is being snapped.

It doesn't seem that complicated to me.

It will be changed.

Emerson1
10-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Uhm, you can't call a timeout when the ball is in play, this isn't basketball.

Because then the referee 5 yards away from the center could run up and blow the whistle and the center and kicker would hear it.

Big Papa
10-09-2007, 01:24 PM

would i think the cowboy coaches were the greates ever...nope not at all....just for the simple fact that what they did has been done at least once a week the past two weeks...so i would call them the greatest copy cats ever