PDA

View Full Version : SFA student dies from alcohol poisoning

mistanice
10-08-2007, 04:57 PM
by Donna McCollum

Eighteen year old SFA Freshman, Nikolas Gallegos of Mesquite was pronounced dead at 10:25 Sunday night. He was originally brought into a Nacogdoches hospital early Saturday morning with alcohol poisoning. The student had attended a gathering at Woodforest Apartments in Nacogdoches where he is believed to have consumed the drinks.

Nacogdoches Police Community Information Officer, Greg Sowell said an in depth and at length investigation will be conducted in conjunction with the SFA police department. At this point, no charges have been filed, but there is the possibility some could be filed.

SFA administrators are aware of the death. Each freshman student is required to attend a course on alcohol abuse during orientation.

http://www.ktre.com/global/story.asp?s=7181092

eagles_victory
10-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
by Donna McCollum

Eighteen year old SFA Freshman, Nikolas Gallegos of Mesquite was pronounced dead at 10:25 Sunday night. He was originally brought into a Nacogdoches hospital early Saturday morning with alcohol poisoning. The student had attended a gathering at Woodforest Apartments in Nacogdoches where he is believed to have consumed the drinks.

Nacogdoches Police Community Information Officer, Greg Sowell said an in depth and at length investigation will be conducted in conjunction with the SFA police department. At this point, no charges have been filed, but there is the possibility some could be filed.

SFA administrators are aware of the death. Each freshman student is required to attend a course on alcohol abuse during orientation.

http://www.ktre.com/global/story.asp?s=7181092 a lot of people have been talking about it here sad story didnt know the kid personally but do know some pretty heavy partying goes on over there. Also heard a rumor his blood alchoal level was 20 times the legal limit ( dont know if thats true) and that he was trying to finish a whole keg by himself

Old Tiger
10-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
a lot of people have been talking about it here sad story didnt know the kid personally but do know some pretty heavy partying goes on over there. Also heard a rumor his blood alchoal level was 20 times the legal limit ( dont know if thats true) and that he was trying to finish a whole keg by himself Wow the fact that he wasn't dead before he went to the hospital

Cameron Crazy
10-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Thats really sad!

zebrablue2
10-08-2007, 05:45 PM
very sad to hear this news. the waste of a life, for no reason at all.

3afan
10-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
very sad to hear this news. the waste of a life, for no reason at all.

yes it is

let this be a warning to those of you who "brag" about getting drunk ...

Gobbla2001
10-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
yes it is

let this be a warning to those of you who "brag" about getting drunk ...

getting drunk is one thing... drinking enough to get alcohol poisoning is another...

I think everyone should have to take a class on alcohol and driving while intoxicated sometime before getting their drivers license...

JasperDog94
10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

I think everyone should have to take a class on alcohol and driving while intoxicated sometime before getting their drivers license...

Each freshman student is required to attend a course on alcohol abuse during orientation.

Sounds like he just didn't listen. Very sad.:( :(

Gobbla2001
10-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Sounds like he just didn't listen. Very sad.:( :(

yah, for sure... but by age 18 you've done made up your mind that you're gettin' messed up in college...

a young impressionable mind should be taught these things... just tellin' kids not to drink anymore doesn't work... give 'em a course on it when they're young and maybe somethin' will stick, ya know?

big daddy russ
10-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Effects of blood alcohol content on thinking, feeling and behavior:
Now that you know how to calculate BAC, see how alcohol affects your body at different levels.

0.02 - 0.03 Legal definition of intoxication in R.I. for people under 21 years of age. Few obvious effects; slight intensification of mood.

0.05 - 0.06 Feeling of warmth, relaxation, mild sedation; exaggeration of emotion and behavior; slight decrease in reaction time and in fine-muscle coordination; impaired judgment about continued drinking.

0.07 - 0.09 More noticeable speech impairment and disturbance of balance; impaired motor coordination, hearing and vision; feeling of elation or depression; increased confidence; may not recognize impairment.

0.08 Legal definition of intoxication in R.I. for people 21 years and older.

0.11 - 0.12 Coordination and balance becoming difficult; distinct impairment of mental faculties and judgment.

0.14 - 0.15 Major impairment of mental and physical control; slurred speech, blurred vision and lack of motor skills; needs medical evaluation.

0.20 Loss of motor control; must have assistance moving about; mental confusion; needs medical assistance.

0.30 Severe intoxication; minimum conscious control of mind and body; needs hospitalization.

0.30 - 0.60 This level of alcohol has been measured in people who have died of alcohol intoxication.

0.40 Unconsciousness; coma; needs hospitalization.

link (http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/atod/alc_aayb.htm)

I've heard of kids who have died with a .28 BAC. Sad story. What's even sadder is that stories like this won't discourage most kids from drinking that much. It's one thing to have a few drinks when you're hanging out, but when you drink like that you're asking for trouble.

Alcohol's just like anything else that comes with responsibility. It's not a bad thing when used properly and responsibly, but it can be your worst enemy when used improperly.

Old Tiger
10-08-2007, 07:22 PM
A 19 year old kid came into the ER like 2 weeks ago with a .491 and I think he's still alive.

mistanice
10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
A 19 year old kid came into the ER like 2 weeks ago with a .491 and I think he's still alive.

what was his body weight?

Old Tiger
10-08-2007, 07:34 PM
what was his body weight? HIPPA

44INAROW
10-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

College Freshmen should also have to watch a movie or better yet - do a "ride along" with a police officer or member of the clergy while they notify a mom and dad that their child is dead due to lethal amount of alcohol in the system. Seeing first-hand the devasting effects the news would have on a parent should be enough to make an impression.

I am the mother of 3 boys (31, 29 and 19) and I am not naive, I know my two older boys did some "binge drinking" in college. I thank God for getting them home safe without hurting themselves or anyone else in the process. I also pray that my youngest son has learned from his older brother's experience and while I am pretty sure he's getting the "college experience of drinking" I hope he knows "when to say when"
I will keep this boys family in my prayers. :(