PDA

View Full Version : Protect and Serve? (NF)

AP Panther Fan
10-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Just came across this article. Call me crazy, but I feel sorry for the skunk. You would think Animal Control might have handled this a bit differently.:thinking:

Officer frees skunk with head stuck in jar

Associated Press
Monday, October 8, 2007

Michigan officer James Kellett knows it's job to serve and protect even when it comes to nature's stinky black and white creatures.

When a skunk with its head stuck in a salad dressing jar wandered into the Carrollton Township police station's parking lot, he grabbed a pellet gun and shot at the jar from about 40 feet away.

The shots cracked and shattered the jar, leaving a glass collar around the skunk's neck. With its head free, the skunk ran off.

"I didn't want to use deadly force, and it is a residential area," Kellett told The Saginaw News. "The way he was when he took off, he was able to eat, breathe and spray and do anything else skunks like to do."

Kellett didn't get much in the way of gratitude, but he's grateful the skunk didn't spray. But there is one bonus the makers of T. Marzetti's salad dressing are sending the officer coupons good for free dressing as a reward.

Ranger Mom
10-08-2007, 10:28 AM
I feel bad for the skunk too. I wonder why the officer didn't get much gratitude?? Because he didn't kill it??

piratebg
10-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Way to take control of a smelly situation there boss. :D

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2007, 10:45 AM
he's just lucky he didn't miss...40 yards with a pellet gun wouldn't have taken much for the skunk to get really hacked off...

AP Panther Fan
10-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I feel bad for the skunk too. I wonder why the officer didn't get much gratitude?? Because he didn't kill it??

Not sure, seems like animal control could have put it to sleep though instead of an officer doing target practice from 40 yards.

I probably watch way too much Animal Planet.;)

Ranger Mom
10-08-2007, 10:49 AM
My dad did the same thing in our backyard to a skunk that had a jelly jar stuck on it's head. He shot the jar with a bb gun. We were freaking out thinking it would kill the skunk, he told us all it would do was break the jar....come to find out, he was correct. (This one didn't have to wear a glass collar though, it was a clean break)!

:D

Sweetwater Red
10-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

I probably watch way too much Animal Planet.;)

Meerkat Manor???:clap: :D :clap:

AP Panther Fan
10-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Meerkat Manor???:clap: :D :clap:

Yep, isn't that a great show?:D

luvhoops34
10-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Yep, isn't that a great show?:D

I love that show!:D

Sweetwater Red