PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy..From Major Applewhite to Chris Simms

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2007, 09:13 AM
When Colt McCoy came on the scene last year he was the scrappy RS freshman that NO ONE had any true expectations for...Then he puts up the numbers he did, and became IMO a Texas Legend in the making just like Major( who BTW I think has become the most overrated QB in UT history)

So this year starts, and UT fans are talking Colt for Heisman, and he might lead the Horns to the NC title and such and the expectations grew, probably to an impossible point. And of course Colt has not started the season off anywhere close to where the fans expected, and now he is in the realm of Chris Simms..People are screaming for his head, even though he played good enough to beat OU.

So which is the real Colt? Last year? Or this year? IMO prob in the middle. He is a solid, not amazing QB. With the right players in place he can be very good, but when the OL is not playing well he will not be succesflu( actually that is just like Major, who could not hanlde a blitz in his face.

Some of you Horn fans( I am not among this group) want Chiles to start..I ask why? He was not a QB only in HS like Vince Young was..This is not a guy that has what I would call HS expierence at the QB position. Yes he MIGHT open up the running game some, but the QB has to be able to make the throws to truly be a good QB unless Texas goes straight wishbone.

IMO this lost to OU for Texas is EXACTLY the same thing that happen to OU last year..they lost the game, but learned a ton about their team, regrouped and rolled the rest of the way after losing two games early.

I think honestly Texas learned somethings about themselves in this game. They played a physical opponent and never backed down and were one play away from tying or winning the game.

With the problems the defense IMO will have the rest of the year, I think Colt gives Texas the best chance to win, because I have a feeling Texas will be in a bunch of 35-31 games the rest of the season.

Man that was a ramble..:D

pirate4state
10-08-2007, 09:16 AM
It was a good ramble. I'm not really looking forward to everyone else's ramble. :doh: :tongue: ;)

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
It was a good ramble. I'm not really looking forward to everyone else's ramble. :doh: :tongue: ;)
Well, FWIW, you should read mine. :D

piratebg
10-08-2007, 09:23 AM
I couldn't agree more. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maroon87
10-08-2007, 09:37 AM
His offensive line isn't very good this year, at least not yet. I actually thought he had more time in the pocket Saturday than he has all year. They just haven't gotten the ground game untracked yet, so defenses can zero in on McCoy and blitz a lot.

Old Tiger
10-08-2007, 09:38 AM
They all suck. Texas NEEDS Terrelle Pryor!

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Yuck...I didn't like Chris Simms...he was overrated.

Colt McCoy is better right now than Simms ever was, but it's never easy to follow a legend, and unfortunately for McCoy, he's following one of college football's biggest legends in a long time...

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Yuck...I didn't like Chris Simms...he was overrated.

Colt McCoy is better right now than Simms ever was, but it's never easy to follow a legend, and unfortunately for McCoy, he's following one of college football's biggest legends in a long time...

I disagree..the expectations were to much..look at his stats and his record..he was a good college QB, but people expected everything from him..then how the whole Major/Simms situation went down hurt him as well.

Aesculus gilmus
10-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Why aren't people calling for Brown and/or Davis to be fired yet?

With all the drama surrounding Franchione in the last few weeks, A&M STILL has a better record than UT.

And poor ol' Fran STILL may be fired at the end of the season. You Aggies are hell on coaches. Why not go ahead and make it a stipulation of the new one that he CAN go ahead and return to Sherrill-style recruiting. Otherwise, you are just making impossible demands.

UT, on the other hand, has no excuse for not winning or nearly winning the Big 12 EVERY year.

Old Tiger
10-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Why aren't people calling for Brown and/or Davis to be fired yet?

I guess you haven't heard me ramble :D

Possibly because Mack is two years removed from a NC.

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I guess you haven't heard me ramble :D

Possibly because Mack is two years removed from a NC.

or maybe because he took exas from an also ran to a Top 10 program..Look big picture, not just one half season..Where Texas was before he got here, and where they are now

Before Mack Brown being 4-2 and 24th in nation was not a bad thing

now people want wholesale changes..shows where he brouth Texas from.

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
then how the whole Major/Simms situation went down hurt him as well.

that's my main beef...Major was a better QB...he didn't have the size and arm, but he had the "it" factor. I guess overrated isn't a good word for Simms considering how many fans bash him to this day, but he reminded me of a Brad Johnson...sure he could win games and put up good numbers, but every time I watched him, I was wondering when Chance Mock, Major Applewhite, or Vince Young was going to get into the game.

Old Tiger
10-08-2007, 09:51 AM
or maybe because he took exas from an also ran to a Top 10 program..Look big picture, not just one half season..Where Texas was before he got here, and where they are now

Before Mack Brown being 4-2 and 24th in nation was not a bad thing

now people want wholesale changes..shows where he brouth Texas from. People satisfied with a guy who recruits top 10 classes yet has only played in one NC game because of a QB named Vince Young. IMO Mack is one of the more overrated coaches in the country. Great recruiter and guy but not a great coach.

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2007, 09:53 AM
People satisfied with a guy who recruits top 10 classes yet has only played in one NC game because of a QB named Vince Young. IMO Mack is one of the more overrated coaches in the country. Great recruiter and guy but not a great coach.

Wow...

I can name about 100 Division I schools who would be more than satisfied with just ONE national championship game...Fans who believe that their team has some sort of "entitlement" bug the heck out of me...

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2007, 09:54 AM
People satisfied with a guy who recruits top 10 classes yet has only played in one NC game because of a QB named Vince Young. IMO Mack is one of the more overrated coaches in the country. Great recruiter and guy but not a great coach.

If OU had not had the teams they did during that 5 year run I would agree, but the simple fact is OU was better

And still Texas finsished top 10 or close every year

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Wow...

I can name about 100 Division I schools who would be more than satisfied with just ONE national championship game...Fans who believe that their team has some sort of "entitlement" bug the heck out of me...

I agree

and as a UT fan, others anny me that think Texas SHOULD be in the NC all the time..wake up folks..before Mack, texas was a has been..from 1970 to 2005, Texas was NOT a power..Mack Brown hyas built them into a power

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Wow...

:kiss: :inlove: :kiss:

HippoBaseball05
10-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Colt McCoy is 14-5 as a starter.

Stephen McGee is 14-6 as a starter.

I really don't know what this has to do with anything.... I was bored last night.

Macarthur
10-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Colt is a good college QB.

Keep in mind, last year he was playing behind an OL that was essentially the same OL that won a NC the year before. Obviously, they are rebuilding on the OL this year. That accounts for most of the wide swing in performance, IMO. Colt is not the problem.

However, if I were a UT fan, I would be a bit concerned about his brittleness. He does seem to have a bit of a glass jaw. If he keeps taking this type of beating, his brain will be scrambled by the time he's a senior.

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05
Colt McCoy is 14-5 as a starter.

Stephen McGee is 14-6 as a starter.

I really don't know what this has to do with anything.... I was bored last night.

and I think it's safe to say that their two respective teams are pretty much on the same level.

Old Tiger
10-08-2007, 10:16 AM
and I think it's safe to say that their two respective teams are pretty much on the same level. sad...

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2007, 10:19 AM
sad...

I don't think so...I think it can only help to have more quality teams fighting for the division title...I'd love to see OU, Texas, A&M, and Tech fight it out every year.

Old Tiger
10-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't think so...I think it can only help to have more quality teams fighting for the division title...I'd love to see OU, Texas, A&M, and Tech fight it out every year. What do you think of Mizzou? Pretender or Contender?

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2007, 10:22 AM
What do you think of Mizzou? Pretender or Contender?

funny you should ask that...I was just thinking about posting a topic asking about that. I watched them beat up Nebraska this week, and I found myself thinking that if Mizzou beats OU, Chase Daniel is suddenly the frontrunner for the Heisman, and Missouri becomes the Big XII's best hope for a NC representative.

I don't know if they're NC material just yet, but I think they're definitely going to be in the mix for a BCS game, and could very well end up winning the Big XII championship game and getting an automatic berth.

rockdale80
10-08-2007, 11:40 AM
funny you should ask that...I was just thinking about posting a topic asking about that. I watched them beat up Nebraska this week, and I found myself thinking that if Mizzou beats OU, Chase Daniel is suddenly the frontrunner for the Heisman, and Missouri becomes the Big XII's best hope for a NC representative.

I don't know if they're NC material just yet, but I think they're definitely going to be in the mix for a BCS game, and could very well end up winning the Big XII championship game and getting an automatic berth.

Missouri is one of my few preseason picks that lived up to what I said they would be. Atleast I got one right....well so far anway

mrescape43
10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Mack is overrated!:D

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Mack is overrated!:D

honestly most coaches are..Bob Stoops was hailed has the all everything, yet big losses in big games oer the last few years has tarnished his image..Carroll at USC is seeing the same thing start to hit him.

Basically in college a coach has to be near perfect every year or they are considered overrated, or not that good, or living on the talent they recruit..well IMO the talent u recruit is 75% of the game in college.

Buccaneer
10-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I agree

and as a UT fan, others anny me that think Texas SHOULD be in the NC all the time..wake up folks..before Mack, texas was a has been..from 1970 to 2005, Texas was NOT a power..Mack Brown hyas built them into a power

Are you sure about that statement? Are you discounting the Fred Akers tenure?

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Are you sure about that statement? Are you discounting the Fred Akers tenure?

no I am not..well the early part of it..yes they played in two "NC title " games in Akers tenure but lost both of them..and they had some good teams, in his early years,,BUT the simple fact in the overall scope of College football in that time frame of 70-2005 Texas weas never a true consitent year in and year out power

buff4life
10-08-2007, 12:46 PM
the biggest problem with the running game is that we try to run around the opponent instead of straight through them...

OU would run a dive where the halfback hit the whole full speed and didn't care how many guys were in the way...

Charles tries to run around the defense or find another whole, coaches need to do something about that...new RB for straight ahead, new play calls, or just tell Jamaal to run here and run through them..

Buccaneer
10-08-2007, 01:01 PM
1969 #1
1970 #3
1971 #4
1972 #3
1975 #6
1977 #4 Akers 1st year
1978 #9
1981 #2
1983 #5 were #2 lost on Jan 1
1984 They went from #1 after defeating Auburn and Penn State to tying #2 Oklahoma to losing to Baylor, UH, A&M and Iowa 55-17 in the Freedom Bowl.
1985 8-4
1986 5-6 Akers leaves

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
1969 #1
1970 #3
1971 #4
1972 #3
1975 #6
1977 #4 Akers 1st year
1978 #9
1981 #2
1983 #5 were #2 lost on Jan 1
1984 They went from #1 after defeating Auburn and Penn State to tying #2 Oklahoma to losing to Baylor, UH, A&M and Iowa 55-17 in the Freedom Bowl.
1985 8-4
1986 5-6 Akers leaves

and that is a 7 year time frame inside 35 years..and i picked 70 because it was their last NC until 2005

Buccaneer
10-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
the biggest problem with the running game is that we try to run around the opponent instead of straight through them...

OU would run a dive where the halfback hit the whole full speed and didn't care how many guys were in the way...

Charles tries to run around the defense or find another whole, coaches need to do something about that...new RB for straight ahead, new play calls, or just tell Jamaal to run here and run through them..

I saw it just the opposite Texas was running right at them and there were no holes. Example Mcgee on 4th down ran right into the line and lost yardage when he should have slipped outside

mustang04
10-08-2007, 02:29 PM
i'd hate the be the guy to fill in the QB position after Vince Young haha