PDA

View Full Version : Steriod testing to start by end of month

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Student-athletes will be selected randomly for tests
By Rick Cantu
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, October 08, 2007

Three days after champion sprinter Marion Jones admitted performance-enhancing drugs helped her win five medals at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, the University Interscholastic League said its random steroid testing program for high school athletes in Texas will begin in about three weeks.

"Realistically, we're looking at the end of October," UIL athletic director Charles Breithaupt said Sunday.

Breithaupt and UIL assistant athletic director Mark Cousins described it as "the largest steroid testing program in the world." Up to 25,000 public school athletes will be tested within the next two years.

Their comments came at the semiannual UIL Medical Advisory Committee meeting Sunday morning.

UIL officials said in August their goal was to have the Senate bill implemented before the end of football season. The final regular-season games are scheduled for Nov. 9.

The UIL has evaluated 14 bids from drug testing companies in order to implement the program. "Three or four" companies are still being evaluated, Breithaupt said.

Based on the parameters of the bill passed by the 80th Texas Legislature, students at about 400 schools will be tested during the 2007-08 school year.

The announcement was received warmly by a few Central Texas football coaches Sunday.

"The way sports are going right now, it's a great idea," LBJ coach Claude Mathis said. "For some of these kids, there's a lot of pressure to get a scholarship, to make it to the next level. Maybe they see (steroids) as a way of getting there."

Leander coach Steve Gideon said financing steroid testing has been an obstacle for several years. Legislative budget planners have set aside $6 million, which will allow the UIL to test between 20,000 to 25,000 of the state's estimated 740,000 student-athletes.

Those tested will come from a randomly selected pool of 30 percent of the state's 1,246 public high schools, making Texas' steroid-testing program the largest in the nation. If an athlete refuses to be tested, it will be ruled a positive test.

"I can't imagine a parent not wanting their child to be in a program that educates kids and to know they're being held accountable," Gideon said.

link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/10/08/1008preps.html)

Old Tiger
10-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Glad I graduated already!:rolleyes:

piratebg
10-08-2007, 07:37 AM
This could be interesting :thinking:

rundoe
10-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Bout time,. and they need drug testing for ALL drugs for all students that participate in extra curricular activities.

Old Tiger
10-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by rundoe
Bout time,. and they need drug testing for ALL drugs for all students that participate in extra curricular activities. Most narcotics don't show up in a urine test and they can be masked easily. And I'm sure that the UIL isn't going to pay tons of more money to blood test the student athletes for all narcotics.

luvhoops34
10-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Most narcotics don't show up in a urine test and they can be masked easily. And I'm sure that the UIL isn't going to pay tons of more money to blood test the student athletes for all narcotics.

That's what I was thinking. I know we had a discussion on this same subject when it first came out that the UIL was going to steroid test student athletes.

And if the ones taking steroids are smart enough, they will figure out how to beat the test.

rundoe
10-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Most narcotics don't show up in a urine test and they can be masked easily. And I'm sure that the UIL isn't going to pay tons of more money to blood test the student athletes for all narcotics.

Its being done all over. Georgetown does it with federal grants.
also they have not found a way to fake a hair test yet.

It's meant as more of a deterrent as actullay to catch kids. I did extensive research on thi last year. Including meeting with the Georgetown superintendent.

I have all their stats and all the facts.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I personally don't like the idea of drug testing student athletes at the high school level, or at least the testing of only the student athletes. Invariably so, there are going to be athletes who use drugs, but the students who don't participate are generally the ones who do use drugs the most. A positive test result could mean good things for habitual users, most notably the fact that if a student tests positive, then help can be given to them to kick the habit. If, however, you're going to test the percentage of students who are less likely to be using, then it seems like kind of a waste to me. I think it would be more beneficial to test everyone instead of just one group of students, at least in the scope of things, because some things are more important than football, and those are a happy, healthy life and being beneficial to society and being a positive influence on those around you.

pancho villa
10-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I better get little pancho off them roids.

setxsports
10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
What is the Punishment if tested positive? Someone was asking on another site.

DU_stud04
10-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by rundoe
Bout time,. and they need drug testing for ALL drugs for all students that participate in extra curricular activities. especially in band, we all know the band is what wins football games.....

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by **********
What is the Punishment if tested positive? Someone was asking on another site.
I'll have to go back and make sure, but I'm fairly certain that the first positive test is a 30-day suspension, the second is a one year suspension and the third is "lifetime" suspension.

setxsports
10-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks.:cool:

mustang04
10-08-2007, 02:27 PM
hmmmm......i could name a few teams that this would hurt pretty hard:eek: :eek:

Maroon87
10-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
especially in band, we all know the band is what wins football games.....

No doubt...HGH use among tuba players is totally out of control.

lakers
10-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
hmmmm......i could name a few teams that this would hurt pretty hard:eek: :eek:
I have a few friends that definitely would have failed a drug test...
:D

Highschoolfan78
10-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Does this affect the chess team student athletes?

mustang04
10-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by lakers
I have a few friends that definitely would have failed a drug test...
:D

well...im talkin about steroid specific.....i dont care if someone if tokin on their own time...it aint makin them any better

Emerson1
10-08-2007, 06:09 PM
well crap

BobcatBenny
10-08-2007, 06:42 PM
This is $6 million tax dollars poured down the drain.

If one athlete gets gets caught, they will need to follow-up with an IQ test.

Wouldn't Title IX require half the money be spent on testing female athletes? Yeah there is a large population of high school chicks hitting the roids.

Wait until you see which Rick Perry friend gets the contract for this program. I bet it won't even be an American company. Unless Central American companies count as American, that is. :D