PDA

View Full Version : Michael Crabtree Breaks Freshman TD Record

JR2004
10-06-2007, 09:43 PM
In their 42-17 win against Iowa State tonight in Lubbock.

Crabtree had 10 catches for 153 yards and 3TD's today. His first was his 15th of the season and that set a new freshman TD receiving record. He accomplished this in just SIX GAMES.

With half their regular season schedule complete he has 70 catches for 1070 yards and 17 touchdown receptions. My gosh this kid is just amazing.

CelinaCatFan
10-06-2007, 09:57 PM
WOW!

burnet44
10-06-2007, 10:00 PM
when you throw it every play
you will pile up stats

The Red Raiders' receiver broke the freshman record of 14 TD catches by Jabar Gaffney (Florida in 2000), Mike Williams (Southern California in 2002) and Davone Bess (Hawaii in 2005).

It was Crabtree's fifth three-touchdown game this season. He had two TDs in a 45-31 win over Texas-El Paso.

Harrell, who entered the game leading the nation in passing, was 36-of-43 for 425 yards and four touchdowns. He also ran for a 1-yard score.

Crabtree's 17 TDs also ties the Big 12 season record set by Rashaun Woods at Oklahoma State in 2002.

Coming into the game, Crabtree led the nation in receptions (60), receiving yards (920) and touchdowns (14). He added 10 more catches and 154 yards against the Cyclones.

Crabtree is well on his way to the Division I record of 27 TDs shared by Jerry Rice (Mississippi Valley, 1984) and Troy Edwards (Louisiana Tech, 1998).

FIRST DOWNS................... 154
Rushing..................... 29
Passing..................... 112
Penalty..................... 13
RUSHING YARDAGE............... 434
Yards gained rushing........ 506
Rushing Attempts............ 112
Average Per Rush............ 3.9
Average Per Game............ 86.8
TDs Rushing................. 10
PASSING YARDAGE............... 2618
Att-Comp-Int................ 297-213-2

297 passes
112 rushes

these were of last week
keep piling up stats Mike
Keep winning conference titles

JR2004
10-06-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm sorry, but this guy is NOT a product of the system as you seem to be inferring B44. Tech has had plenty of guys go through there who put up big stats, but none of them are as good as this kid. I sure wouldn't mind having the former Carter Cowboy at UT right about now.

He has that rare combination of being both big and physical as well as being blazing fast. I'm sure there's several NFL teams drafting in the top 10 that'll love to get their hands on him.

burnet44
10-06-2007, 10:09 PM
maybe
but when you throw it that much
you pile up numbers
and whats the real goal in Lubbock?
looking good
or winning?

till they win a conference title
its just stats

fire away

JR2004
10-06-2007, 10:11 PM
So then tell me, he's just not that good right? He's just another product of the system, correct? It couldn't actually be that Tech found themselves a great player in Crabtree that could play in ANY system and excel.

eagles_victory
10-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
So then tell me, he's just not that good right? He's just another product of the system, correct? It couldn't actually be that Tech found themselves a great player in Crabtree that could play in ANY system and excel. hes a great player jr do you know what dallas school he played high school for

burnet44
10-06-2007, 10:17 PM
you wont know until he is in a system
that doesnt throw it every play will ya
and that wont happen in Lubbock
again keep winning conference titles

R3Editor
10-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
And your school does what....? :confused:

JR2004
10-06-2007, 10:19 PM
He was a Carter Cowboy and he played QB there if I remember right. He didn't play WR in high school because they throw the ball only when necessary under Allen Wilson.

eagles_victory
10-06-2007, 10:21 PM
if its just the system how come noone has put up reciever numbers like this before at tech?

JR2004
10-06-2007, 10:22 PM

My eyes tell me he can play in ANY system. He was as impressive an athlete as I've seen when he was in high school. We didn't get to play them in football, but in basketball he just absolutely dominated us. He was just too physical and explosive.

Had Crabtree played at a school in high school like SLC that throws the ball around the yard he'd be at a much higher profile school right now. Thankfully though for Tech fans at least he's in Lubbock putting up ridiculous numbers.

GWOOD
10-06-2007, 11:00 PM
b44, it's obvious you're not a TT or Mike Leach fan, but Crabtree is the real deal. If you have watched a game, surely you have seen a talented receiver--catching passes behind him, going up for catches in a crowd, juking a defender and scoring--and please don't bring up the dropped pass in the end zone against OK St. Ha Ha

Sure TT receivers are going to pile up yardage but none of them has done what he has done. I don't know if he is the best but he is a good one.

Cameron Crazy
10-06-2007, 11:01 PM
He is a very good WR.

He suprises me every game, he just comes out with new stuff.

He is great for that offense as well.

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
b44, If you have watched a game
I'm going out on a limb (that's twice in one day haha) and saying "NO" he hasn't.

GUNS UP!

GWOOD
10-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm going out on a limb (that's twice in one day haha) and saying "NO" he hasn't.

GUNS UP!

Probably not. I was just reading the Aggie thread and he seems to be more of an Aggie fan.

JR2004
10-06-2007, 11:07 PM

GUNS UP!

What's the prediction for Crabtree next week against the Ags? I'm thinking 11 catches for 160 yards and 2 TD's.

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Probably not. I was just reading the Aggie thread and he seems to be more of an Aggie fan.
LMAO! You never cease to crack me up. :D :clap:

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2007, 11:18 PM
What's the prediction for Crabtree next week against the Ags? I'm thinking 11 catches for 160 yards and 2 TD's.
Hmmmm.....3 sounds better, but then my :inlove: boy Amendola might share the limelight.

burnet44
10-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by R3Editor
And your school does what....? :confused:

won a national title in '78

Conference Champions

Angelo State & Texas A&I

Angelo State

Angelo State

JR2004
Hmmmm.....3 sounds better, but then my :inlove: boy Amendola might share the limelight.

I'd like to see the West Texas boy Eric Morris get in on the act along with Amendola. Saw him down in Austin a few years ago when Shallowater won state. Pretty darn good athlete. Good to see him making a meaningful contribution for Tech.

burnet44

GUNS UP!

yeah I have

eagles_victory
10-06-2007, 11:25 PM
I'd like to see the West Texas boy Eric Morris get in on the act along with Amendola. Saw him down in Austin a few years ago when Shallowater won state. Pretty darn good athlete. Good to see him making a meaningful contribution for Tech. his brother was down there running the show for shallowater last year but i dont think hes the athlete eric is

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
his brother was down there running the show for shallowater last year but i dont think hes the athlete eric is
Is the dad the bball coach?

burnet44
10-06-2007, 11:33 PM
b44, it's obvious you're not a TT or Mike Leach fan, but Crabtree is the real deal. If you have watched a game, surely you have seen a talented receiver--catching passes behind him, going up for catches in a crowd, juking a defender and scoring--and please don't bring up the dropped pass in the end zone against OK St. Ha Ha

Sure TT receivers are going to pile up yardage but none of them has done what he has done. I don't know if he is the best but he is a good one.

look he is good I didnt say he wasnt
numbers are numbers
he has done well
but as all of you pile on me
ty btw
they throw it that much ok
400 snaps
100 runs

If he is that good he will play on Sundays
ok

Im looking at the numbers
aint that what you are looking at
maybe PPU will win the south and the conference
isnt that the real goal

If not
you are no different than all the kids, parents, fans
who see numbers and individuality
I dont as much as you seem too

Im sure that will add others to the pile on here
or thread lock down

does he block well? cant tell this one they dont run enough to see
is his routes percise?
does he catch it in traffic?
Drops?
fakes?
deceleration speed?
seperation speed?
hand position?

there are a lot of factors

does he help em win?
sure he does
can he be a difference maker for the conference title?
certainly

but its all just numbers

wins are wins

maybe PPU can finally break through and win it
If I remember right they Tied for it once in the SWC? and threw tortillias at the Cotton Bowl vs Meshawn and the Trojans

time will tell

ok someone else pile on here

JR2004
10-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Is the dad the bball coach?

He is. He'd have another state title, but Kountze was just a bit too athletic for them this past March.

eagles_victory
10-06-2007, 11:35 PM
wes dierpy sp? from shallowater was good though

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2007, 11:38 PM
He is. He'd have another state title, but Kountze was just a bit too athletic for them this past March.
My husband went to h.s. with him in Shallowater. I think they were a year apart, but still... He (hubby) went to watch them play Kountze. :)

JR2004
10-06-2007, 11:51 PM
My husband went to h.s. with him in Shallowater. I think they were a year apart, but still... He (hubby) went to watch them play Kountze. :)

That's pretty cool. :)

GWOOD
10-06-2007, 11:56 PM
look he is good I didnt say he wasnt
numbers are numbers
he has done well
but as all of you pile on me
ty btw
they throw it that much ok
400 snaps
100 runs

If he is that good he will play on Sundays
ok

Im looking at the numbers
aint that what you are looking at
maybe PPU will win the south and the conference
isnt that the real goal

If not
you are no different than all the kids, parents, fans
who see numbers and individuality
I dont as much as you seem too

Im sure that will add others to the pile on here
or thread lock down

does he block well? cant tell this one they dont run enough to see
is his routes percise?
does he catch it in traffic?
Drops?
fakes?
deceleration speed?
seperation speed?
hand position?

there are a lot of factors

does he help em win?
sure he does
can he be a difference maker for the conference title?
certainly

but its all just numbers

wins are wins

maybe PPU can finally break through and win it
If I remember right they Tied for it once in the SWC? and threw tortillias at the Cotton Bowl vs Meshawn and the Trojans

time will tell

ok someone else pile on here

Never talked with you much but you sound like a grumpy old man tonight.

burnet44
10-06-2007, 11:58 PM
nope
please turn this personal ok
wasnt this about crabtree?
Its ok thats the way it usually turns out

GWOOD
10-07-2007, 12:02 AM
nope
pleae turn this personal ok
wasnt this about crabtree?
Its ok thats the way it usually turns out

:rolleyes:

raider red 2000
10-07-2007, 08:12 AM
won a national title in '78

Conference Champions

Angelo State & Texas A&I

Angelo State

Angelo State

apparently crabtree could not have played at these schools.

burnet44
10-07-2007, 08:16 AM
I didnt say that you did
Im sure he could have played then
but he wasnt around then
he is now

necks_c/09
10-07-2007, 08:27 AM
haha, ya'll are gettin b44ized with all the FACTS.

JJ7997
10-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Who cares ? Tech will pile up stats and win exactly jack. Any player in their system will do the same. When Crabtree is gone and another wideout breaks his record he will be long forgotten.

Tech will never win a conference championship because you have to beat the Horns when you play em'. Now for all of you fortune tellers who guarantee a win for " PPU " next week, just wait for the game to be played will you.

PPU should join the WAC.

burnet44
10-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by JJ7997
Who cares ? Tech will pile up stats and win exactly jack. Any player in their system will do the same. When Crabtree is gone and another wideout breaks his record he will be long forgotten.

Tech will never win a conference championship because you have to beat the Horns when you play em'. Now for all of you fortune tellers who guarantee a win for " PPU " next week, just wait for the game to be played will you.

PPU should join the WAC.

IDK
they are dangerous
Its just tough for them to bring it 3 weeks
vs TU, blow um and the Corps
they have beaten 2 of the 3
but just cant seem to beat 3 of 3 in the same year
maybe this is the year
getting the D to play 1 good game much less 3
is tough
they have owned the Corps
but the Corps got a big lift last night
Ill say PPU may beat 2 of the 3
not 3 of 3
and the Corps has to go to PPU
tough place to win for the corps

ill say right now

1. Blow U
2. Corps
3. PPU
4. Texas-Okie Lite
6. Baylor

again 1 and 6 wont change
right now the schedule favors Texas
they have played blow u
the others havent

GWOOD
10-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by JJ7997

PPU should join the WAC.

This is so funny. It doesn't matter whether Tech wins the Big 12 or not regarding Crabtree. Those of us who watch Tech have been amazed at what this kid has done so far this year.

Too bad that your feelings towards Leach and Tech's offense keeps you from recognizing a good receiver who is doing great things. Keep speaking with your fogged up glasses. Maybe you won't run into anything.

charlesrixey
10-07-2007, 09:58 AM
So then tell me, he's just not that good right? He's just another product of the system, correct? It couldn't actually be that Tech found themselves a great player in Crabtree that could play in ANY system and excel.

the things he's doing have nothing to do with a system

i'm actually with you on this one 100% JR

that kid is rediculous

if the system was that good, one of the other WR's they've had in the last 10 years (or however long leach has been there) would've already done it

mrescape43
10-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
if its just the system how come noone has put up reciever numbers like this before at tech?

Exactly!

mustang04
10-07-2007, 11:11 AM
i know of him...but havent got to see him play yet....but i see both sides of the fence....YES he is amazing and would be putting up stats anywhere, but c'mon yall, you know good and well if he was on a team that had a bad-A running-back his stats would be a lil lower...now he'd help that team out alot cuz then they KNEW they could have faith in one of their receivers and yes it would help their offense tremendously of whatever other team he played for if not Tech...BUT! since he IS at Tech, he is doing something that would have been done a long time ago IF it was only a "him in the system" kinda thing....Tech has had GREAT college receivers over the years and he is accomplishing something that alot of them didn't.....so give the props to the kid:)

eagles_victory
10-07-2007, 11:34 AM
I hate Tech as much as anyone but Crabtree has been simply amazing now you can argue they havent really played anyone which is true and lets see how he does against the better teams in the conference but right now you cannot argue with the numbers the kids an amazing talent

burnet44
10-07-2007, 12:46 PM
This is so funny. It doesn't matter whether Tech wins the Big 12 or not regarding Crabtree.

yep as I have said
winning dont matter huh
ty

yes the kid is good
But WINNING DONT MATTER?
and yes I understand it in reguard to Crabtree
but ty
Thats what its really all about huh
stats not wins

maybe this year PPU can beat all 3
Looks like Mizzu will win the north

might be Harrell vs Chase in the Big 12 title?

but if that happens
the conference kills itself and loses money

oh well

this year seems to be like one of the last 5 years of the Ol SWC

we just need some NCAA probations or death penalities lol

fire away

Snydertigersrul
10-07-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm waiting to see what Crabtree does when he plays against a REAL defense.

mustang04
10-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul

you talk like HE throws the ball to HIMSELF

Snydertigersrul
10-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
you talk like HE throws the ball to HIMSELF

Check back with me after Saturday's game with the Aggies

mustang04
10-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Check back with me after Saturday's game with the Aggies

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...i thought you said a real defense?!?!:confused:

BobcatBenny
10-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Here's Tech remaining schedule.

Oct 13 Texas A&M
Oct 20 @Missouri
Oct 27 Colorado
Nov 3 @Baylor
Nov 10 @Texas
Nov 17 Oklahoma

Sorry, no real defenses left on this schedule.

burnet44
10-07-2007, 01:33 PM
the Corps in Lubbock
had better worry more about getting impaled with a goalpost
than Crabtree

Gobbla2001
10-07-2007, 01:36 PM
this dude is a great player... but if Tech had a running game they obviously wouldn't throw as much, and crabtree would probably not have this many TD's though I believe he'd still have impressive stats...

look at the QBs he's had run through there, they all put up HUGE numbers because they pass 95% of the time... usually there are more options at receiver, but when you have a very talented receiver like crabtree you'll go to him more...

it doesn't take rocket science to figure this out... he's a great receiver, but he doesn't break this record this soon if he's at USC or LSU etc...

burnet44
10-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
this dude is a great player... but if Tech had a running game they obviously wouldn't throw as much, and crabtree would probably not have this many TD's though I believe he'd still have impressive stats...

look at the QBs he's had run through there, they all put up HUGE numbers because they pass 95% of the time... usually there are more options at receiver, but when you have a very talented receiver like crabtree you'll go to him more...

it doesn't take rocket science to figure this out... he's a great receiver, but he doesn't break this record this soon if he's at USC or LSU etc...

your such a Leach hater lol

Gobbla2001
10-07-2007, 01:42 PM
your such a Leach hater lol

nahhhhhh

I like the fact that my team doesn't have to worry about points when playing Lubbock...

more power to him...

ronwx5x
10-07-2007, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by burnet44
[B]when you throw it every play
you will pile up stats

This is a true statement but there have been other freshmen before him and they didn't have these stats. Lets not overlook how well he has played. He is very deserving of the praise coming his way.

And yes, in this case, I am a "homer".

burnet44
10-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Here's Tech remaining schedule.

Oct 13 Texas A&M
Oct 20 @Missouri
Oct 27 Colorado
Nov 3 @Baylor
Nov 10 @Texas
Nov 17 Oklahoma

Win
Loss
Win
Win
Toss-Up
Loss

8-4
or
9-3 if they beat Texas

Sun Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Alamo Bowl

burnet44
10-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Texas Tech Bowl Results (9-20-1)
Season Bowl

1937 Sun
West Virginia
6-7
L

1938 Cotton
St. Mary's (CA)
13-20
L

1941 Sun
Tulsa
0-6
L

1947 Sun
Miami (Ohio)
12-13
L

1949 Raisin
San Jose St.
13-20
L

1951 Sun
Pacific
25-14
W

1953 Gator
Auburn
35-13
W

1955 Sun
Wyoming
14-21
L

1964 Sun
Georgia
0-7
L

1965 Gator
Georgia Tech
21-31
L

1970 Sun
Georgia Tech
9-17
L

1972 Sun
North Carolina
28-32
L

1973 Gator
Tennessee
28-19
W

1974 Peach
Vanderbilt
6-6
T

1976 Bluebonnet
Nebraska
24-27
L

1977 Tangerine
Florida State
17-40
L

1986 Independence
Mississippi
17-20
L

1989 All-American
Duke
49-21
W

1993 Sun
Oklahoma
10-41
L

1994 Cotton
USC
14-55
L

1995 Copper
Air Force
55-41
W

1996 Alamo
Iowa
0-27
L

1998 Independence
Mississippi
18-35
L

2000 Houston
East Carolina
27-40
L

2001 Alamo
Iowa
16-19
L

2002 Tangerine
Clemson
55-15
W

2003 Houston
Navy
38-14
W

2004 Holiday
California
45-31
W

2005 Cotton
Alabama
10-13
L

2006 Insight
Minnesota (OT)
44-41
W

5-5 last 10
4-1 last 5

b_smith07
10-07-2007, 02:17 PM

GUNS UP!

GUNS UP!!!!!

B44, we'll see who eats the crow next week......

A&M vs. TECH at LBK. Fall break at TECH. Can you say tortillas? lol the Ag fans better acquire a taste for corn tortillas and goal posts...

burnet44
10-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by b_smith07
GUNS UP!!!!!

A&M vs. TECH at LBK. Fall break at TECH. Can you say tortillas? lol the Ag fans better acquire a taste for corn tortillas and goal posts...

dude
I said PPU would beat the Corps
ty for reading
and you cant say anything gay about the Corps
the mods wont allow it ok
so edit it

luvhoops34
10-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by b_smith07
GUNS UP!!!!!

necks_c/09
10-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...i thought you said a real defense?!?!:confused: I was thinking the same thing......lol

Aggies blow

and theyre D really blows

Gobbla2001
10-07-2007, 02:26 PM
dude
I said PPU would beat the Corps
ty for reading
and you cant say anything gay about the Corps
the mods wont allow it ok
so edit it

haha...

burnet44
10-07-2007, 02:35 PM
dont worry its ok

looks like the over might win on this one

sinton66
10-07-2007, 02:54 PM
And yall wonder WHY we close down these college threads. You people just don't show good sense on these things. I had to edit the original comment and then five posts that quoted it. It's getting REALLY old.