PDA

View Full Version : Great Reasons to hate Midget Football...

slpybear the bullfan
10-06-2007, 04:25 PM
...or maybe just some coaches?

Okay, I have no one playing this year and I am sure this will incite the masses... but:

Attended another game this week at Alvord. It is the 3rd and 4th grade age bracket. The Bridgeport team playing is winless on the year, has yet to score a TD, and is the weakest team in the league.

Bridgeport team is down 20-0 in the 4th. At this point, the Bridgeport offense gets outside and rumbles 40+ yds to the 5 of Alvord. The crowd for both teams start going nuts.

The opposing coaches get upset and start shuffling players around, lining up their defense, etc. I look over and notice lots of kids lined up to stunt and rush. They brought a ton of kids up the middle and the offense has no chance.

Point 1: What is this teaching the kids at the 3rd and 4th grade level? Stunts? Blitzes? Give me a break... these kids cannot even line up in the right spot before each play... they have to be literally picked up by their coach and set in the correct spot before each play. And it is legal for a coach to bring everything on his defense but the kitchen sink? That is idiotic. When I was a yonker, we didn't get to play until 5th, and no one except the DL could rush or stunt. Seems like it made sense back then... why is it different now?

Of course, you can figure out the outcome... the Bridgeport team runs four plays and the other team stunts and blitzes every play.... Bridgeport has no chance and fails to score.

Other team fumbles on next play, then we get a repeat of the previous possesion, except a fumble gives the Other team the ball back with about a min to play.

And here's where it got even better... Opposing coaches run first play and then hurries team back up to the line to run another play. I sit back and watch astounded as he keeps running play after play in his own "superpeeweecoach's" version of a two minute drill. He runs four plays. He is still yelling, and gets off a play trying to score with six seconds left in the game. SIX SECONDs. UP 20-0. IN MIDGET BALL. AGAINST THE WINLESS TEAM. ARE YOU KIDDING?

Point 2: That was pathetic, classless and shows me just how much these grown men have to learn about sportsmanship. I am not naive and know it happens all over... but doesn't excuse this pathetic poor sportmanship today.

Games like this make it real hard to get fired up to put my boys in this league.

burnet44
10-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
...or maybe just some coaches?

Okay, I have no one playing this year and I am sure this will incite the masses... but:

Attended another game this week at Alvord. It is the 3rd and 4th grade age bracket. The Bridgeport team playing is winless on the year, has yet to score a TD, and is the weakest team in the league.

Bridgeport team is down 20-0 in the 4th. At this point, the Bridgeport offense gets outside and rumbles 40+ yds to the 5 of Alvord. The crowd for both teams start going nuts.

The opposing coaches get upset and start shuffling players around, lining up their defense, etc. I look over and notice lots of kids lined up to stunt and rush. They brought a ton of kids up the middle and the offense has no chance.

Point 1: What is this teaching the kids at the 3rd and 4th grade level? Stunts? Blitzes? Give me a break... these kids cannot even line up in the right spot before each play... they have to be literally picked up by their coach and set in the correct spot before each play. And it is legal for a coach to bring everything on his defense but the kitchen sink? That is idiotic. When I was a yonker, we didn't get to play until 5th, and no one except the DL could rush or stunt. Seems like it made sense back then... why is it different now?

Of course, you can figure out the outcome... the Bridgeport team runs four plays and the other team stunts and blitzes every play.... Bridgeport has no chance and fails to score.

Other team fumbles on next play, then we get a repeat of the previous possesion, except a fumble gives the Other team the ball back with about a min to play.

And here's where it got even better... Opposing coaches run first play and then hurries team back up to the line to run another play. I sit back and watch astounded as he keeps running play after play in his own "superpeeweecoach's" version of a two minute drill. He runs four plays. He is still yelling, and gets off a play trying to score with six seconds left in the game. SIX SECONDs. UP 20-0. IN MIDGET BALL. AGAINST THE WINLESS TEAM. ARE YOU KIDDING?

Point 2: That was pathetic, classless and shows me just how much these grown men have to learn about sportsmanship. I am not naive and know it happens all over... but doesn't excuse this pathetic poor sportmanship today.

Games like this make it real hard to get fired up to put my boys in this league.

I agree
wanna be's
good post

JR2004
10-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Those are some pretty darn horrible human beings to be running the score up on kids that age.

VWG
10-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Idiots.

I think the only way to prevent things like this are to have a good president of the league who understands it's not about winning and losing at that level. It's about teaching kids the fundamentals.... and much, much more.
If the league president and/or board members don't realize that then I wouldn't have my kid in the league.

slpybear the bullfan
10-06-2007, 11:50 PM
You guys cannot imagine how out of hand it is in this league... The crappy thing is there are two "in" teams in the town and one "bad news bears" team... at least in this age class. I want this team to score at least once this season.

You ought to see these coaches setting up reverses, counters... All out safety blitzes... it is pathetic.

And not a single HS or MS coaches boy out there... I think that says it all.

burnet44
10-06-2007, 11:55 PM
ya gotta love the wanna be's
teaching team work
teaching sportsmanship
teaching values

thats why you hear this at the booster club meeting
or from the stands on thursdays or fridays
or during lil Johnnys parent conference on why he aint playing

"Coach we ran that at the pee-wee super bowl in Florida and killed everyone"

here is your sign

pancho villa
10-07-2007, 12:01 AM
I don't see a problem. I say the strong shall survive. And eat the weak little weenies.

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2007, 12:05 AM
It gets VERY uhm, "interesting" when those same boys hit 7th grade and listening to the "expert" daddy-coaches in the stands. Somehow the dads tend to 1) forget they're not in charge of play-calling any more and 2) not realize their "star" cannot hear them from 20 rows up in the stands. Pee-wee/Pop Warner/whatever you want to call it should be for teaching fundamentals, and maybe some fun "trick" plays. I watched a 7th grader last year look into the stands frequently to see dad's reaction to whatever play had worked/gone wrong. :dispntd:

rangerjoe33
10-07-2007, 12:25 AM
I just got home about an hour ago from our game. We took a knee to win 13-12 against a previously unbeaten team. We are now 5-1...5th and 6th graders.

As their head coach I would have been playing all my second teamers early on and for sure would have been taking a knee, and not blitzing either...

You can teach winning with grace...and that is not the way to do it.

We play 5 periods...1st and 3rd are for developmental/first year players (Gold Team) the other three periods are for the Black Team, this is where the score that decides the winner is kept. I have 43 kids on the team and everyone starts somewhere...I was told that if I didn't start 7-8 kids both ways for my Black Team we wouldn't win...I decided when I started this Little League coaching gig (this my first year) that I would make it a point to keep every kid involved regardless of how many wins we had. I have stuck to it, the only exception rotating in 2-3 kids on D Line with both Gold and Black team players and the kids are happy and the winning is taking care of itself.

Stownhorse09
10-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Not only does that teach kids to be poor sports,
it tells the losing team that they aren't respected.

It's sad how today's world effects everything.

necks_c/09
10-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I don't see a problem. I say the strong shall survive. And eat the weak little weenies. haha, lmao.....

thats messed up

tigerpride_08
10-07-2007, 09:34 AM
i went last week with a friend to a game and the coaches were yelling at the kids...kind of schocked me:eek:

AP Panther Fan
10-07-2007, 01:44 PM
hahaha...I thought this thread was about "real" midgets at first. I was thinking damn, I didn't know they had a football league.

I know, here's my sign!;)

burnet44
10-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
hahaha...I thought this thread was about "real" midgets at first. I was thinking damn, I didn't know they had a football league.

I know, here's my sign!;)

lol no kidding
that would be in the chat room
among other topics

Gobbla2001
10-07-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm sorry, but when I read that the coaches got pissed and started blitzing every play I just had to laugh... not because blitzing like that is funny, but because everyone knows that guy...

slpybear the bullfan
10-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
ya gotta love the wanna be's
teaching team work
teaching sportsmanship
teaching values

thats why you hear this at the booster club meeting
or from the stands on thursdays or fridays
or during lil Johnnys parent conference on why he aint playing

"Coach we ran that at the pee-wee super bowl in Florida and killed everyone"

here is your sign

Yup, I hear these coaches in the stands on Friday night explaining to everyone how the HS should be winning... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

slpybear the bullfan
10-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Guys, (except Villa), enjoying the comments.

And Gobbla... love the sig!