PDA

View Full Version : Region II GotW (6): Celina (5-0) @ Pilot Point (4-1)

charlesrixey
10-06-2007, 12:45 PM
while there are a host of good games this week as district play comes into full swing, i had to go with this traditional classic that has for decades been one of the premiere rivalries in the state

although Celina has won 8 straight, the last loss was a milestone in many ways: it marked the start of their 68 game winning streak, ending for good Pilot Point's control over small school north texas after 15 years of long post-season runs and two state titles.

This game will played once again with Celina as the favorite, but two interesting notes left me unable to pick any other contest this week:

1. This game is in Pilot Point

2. The series is tied, 23-23-1

Celina has a chance to lead the series for the first time, while the Bearcats have a chance to end their own ineptitude against the Bobcats at home, with the series lead at stake.

Something tells me this could be one of the better games in the series

PlayaJBiehl20
10-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Um Ill take Celina.

JR2004
10-06-2007, 01:22 PM
They're going to stomp a mudhole in Pilot Point just like last year. Anything closer than 21 points and I'd be highly surprised.

Brownsboro and Van have a bigger game than this one.

bobcat1
10-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Celina will win by.................:D

charlesrixey
10-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Brownsboro and Van is one of my pick 'em games, and was my other choice, but with the series tied and the game in pilot point, i figured go with the traditional one for once

see the pick 'em thread for results from the previous week, and see the region II page for week 6 games in the contest

BobcatBenny
10-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
. . . Brownsboro and Van have a bigger game than this one.
Well, I know rixey thought long and hard about this. I appreciate his efforts because being the region coordinator is a big responsibility.

I would tend to agree that B vs. V is the region's game of the week, but PP vs. C is one of the fiercest rivalry's in the state of Texas. So much so, channel 21 in Dallas televised it last year.

Celina will not take this game lightly.

necks_c/09
10-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Celina by alot, barring a catastrophic melt down that is....

they proved on friday how good they are and PP wont even make a game of it.

charlesrixey
10-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Well, I know rixey thought long and hard about this. I appreciate his efforts because being the region coordinator is a big responsibility.

I would tend to agree that B vs. V is the region's game of the week, but PP vs. C is one of the fiercest rivalry's in the state of Texas. So much so, channel 21 in Dallas televised it last year.

Celina will not take this game lightly.

Yes, i know the odds are Brownsboro vs Van will be more exciting

but unless you've been at one of these games, you don't fully appreciate how big this game is for the entire area, not just the two schools

is it down--yes! but this game is more important to more people than any other this week in Region II

Besides, 4-1 Van vs. 4-1 Brownsboro is way more important for the Vandals in the grand scheme of things (they are trying to re-prove themselves for the playoffs; Brownsboro is doing just fine in a down year)

and yes, i did think long and hard about it, and it came down to these two games

charlesrixey
10-06-2007, 01:55 PM
I could say the same for Madison-Lincoln when they played the South Dallas Super Bowl. Even though Lincoln was a heavy favorite, it was still the biggest game in DISD that week because of how long the two schools have been rivals and how heated it is in that neighborhood. They go all the way back to the PVIL days long before either were in the UIL.

I'll be sure to suggest that one as a game of the week for next season even if Lincoln is going to be down. Not much of a problem really with the reasoning here on your alma mater and Pilot Point for this coming week, just found that other game to be much bigger.

just to note--

Pilot Point is 4-1
Celina is 5-0

it's not just a rivalry pick

it was this or

4-1 Van
4-1 Brownsboro

things change from year to year

i think Pilot Point has a better chance than last year (they were struggling to make .500 last year, and this would not have been the game of the week) but wth Prosper's loss to Whitesboro, Pilot Point has some big stuff to play for

BILLYFRED0000
10-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Even tho Pilot Point is a big rivalry game the only thing that could make this interesting is if PP had a prayer of winning. I think they are worse than last years team from what I have seen so far.
But even if they are better I think we saw the best defensive performance I have seen the Bobcats put on last night. They were supposed to be a good team not nevada community (we held them to -33 yards one time). To hold them to 25 yards total offense was unbelievable. Specially for a 1435 enrollment school. I would have to go with Bboro and Van. This could well decide the district title there while Pilot Point will have to work hard to make the playoffs. Celina will go. And knock on wood Win district again.

CelinaCatFan
10-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Come on guys, Celina could never be involved in a "Game of the Week" because Celina never plays anyone!

Isn't that why we always have a good record and advance deep in the playoffs each year?

CelinaCatFan
10-06-2007, 10:19 PM
I was not referring to anyone in particular. Just something we bobcat fans get tired of hearing every year.

bobcat1
10-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Gosh I was just playin' No need to get into a tizzy until December. ;) :D

BobcatBenny
10-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Oh come on LHPM. There wasn't any one typing in ALL CAPS!!!!

I think most are generally in agreement. It might have taken a little prodding, but we understand.

Cameron Crazy
10-06-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm pulling for the underdogs!

Lets go Bearcats

BobcatBenny
10-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
I'm pulling for the underdogs!

Lets go Bearcats

I'll pull for the underdogs also!

Let's go Steers. :D

snydertiger2010
10-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Celina should win this one by 21

gobbler grad
10-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I'll just say Celina wins...:thinking:

bobcat74
10-07-2007, 08:57 PM
More than likely, Celina wins big.

With that said, its kinda like UT-OU or FL-LSU, you never know.
:thinking:

JR2004
10-07-2007, 09:30 PM
This game has three possible outcomes in my opinion...

Celina grows bored with this one in the 2nd half and holds on to win by 21.

Celina shows up and plays with a playoff-like intensity and wins by at least 30.

Celina plays like it's for a state championship and puts 50 on the board by halftime and the younger guys get to finish it out.

snydertiger2010
10-07-2007, 09:33 PM
I change my score prediction i'm thinkin

Celina 42

Pilot Point 7

lakers
10-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Celina by at least 21.

icu812
10-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Another Celina blow out win by multiple td's.

I'll be in Brownsboro watching their LB Epperson trying to catch Van's Calhoun.

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Just letting the region II guy know..there are more teams in Region II than Celina..they dont have to be GOTW every week :D

It may be shocking to Celina..but other teams in Region II do play good football, and there are some interesting match-ups

pirate4state
10-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Just letting the region II guy know..there are more teams in Region II than Celina..they dont have to be GOTW every week :D

It may be shocking to Celina..but other teams in Region II do play good football, and there are some interesting match-ups

:mad: you are NOT allowed to think this way! i already got in trouble! :eek: LOL

BobcatBenny
10-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:mad: you are NOT allowed to think this way! i already got in trouble! :eek: LOL
Pirate! I am your father! Come over to the orange side of the Force! :D

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
+1 :eek:

lion75
10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Celina by 28........at the half

charlesrixey
10-08-2007, 07:56 PM
i offered to change it, even created another post; not sure why it wasn't changed?

bobcat1
10-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Jumped out of bed on her menstral cycle sounded like this. Nagdanagdanagdanag, Bidge...........bidgebidge..........bidgebidge

Darren
10-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Celina by 10

buff4ever
10-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Celina in this one.

Is pilot point as good as everyone thinks?

charlesrixey
10-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Celina in this one.

Is pilot point as good as everyone thinks?

this game was for many years the underdog's dream, and not too terribly long ago Pilot Point led the series 23-15-1 and had won 3 out of the previous four (of the 8 in a row celina has won, the first four were mostly very close, including 13-8, 10-0 etc.)

sometime soon they could be moving and shaking again-the talent has been there, but has declined since the turn of the decade.

block&tackle
10-09-2007, 06:01 PM
One reason (among many) that this game was often close regardless of the rankings is that these two teams ran the same schemes. Offensively they had many of the same tricks up their sleeves and they were familiar with each other's "10-1" defense cause they were both running it. Often, the coaching staffs of both schools were largely made up graduates of both schools - Celina's head coach/DC and our OC are both graduates of Pilot Point.

Now the bag of tricks and aggressive D have gone to Argyle Liberty Christian with some of the old coaches. Pilot Point is now coached by outsiders and they are running the atheistic spread and communist zone D. Last year wasn't pretty (51-6) - the 6 points PP scored in the 4th Q were the only points scored by PP in the five "A" games that week - 7th, 8th 9th, JV and V. The rivalry is on the way to being a memory in the old-timer's hearts.

sic'em
10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
from my count there are 5 pilot point grads on the celina coaching staff plus coach jones who was @ pp for 10 years...
back in my day, we used to call each others plays at the line of scrimmage and they had the same names. nothing like walking up to the line of scrimmage and the defense calling your play with the exact same words just relayed in the huddle. those days are long gone. i do think that pp is better than last year, but they will be fortunate to keep in within 28.

Leopards,class of 75
10-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Celina by at least 21, probably more.

JR2004
10-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i offered to change it, even created another post; not sure why it wasn't changed?

Sure did offer to change it to the Van-Brownsboro game. Not real sure either why it never changed.

BILLYFRED0000
10-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Sure did offer to change it to the Van-Brownsboro game. Not real sure either why it never changed.

Well truth be told region 2 small school looks weak this year. Nobody is really playing up to last years group. Bboro was great last year for example. Atlanta is not up this year. Canton while good is no better than last year. Just looking around so far no one looks great except Celina right now. That game Friday was the utter destruction of a decent if not good team. I still think the GOTW would be better served by Van Bboro. But se la vi.

JR2004
10-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Well truth be told region 2 small school looks weak this year.

Yeah this is two years in a row now that small school is pretty weak. If Celina has a single playoff game closer than 24 points from any DII team in the region I'll be highly surprised. D1 should provide for an exciting three weeks in the region though.

I'd sure like to see Van this week, but we actually have a Friday game this time around. I'm sure it'll be a really good game and I hope Calhoun has a big game even if he is going to Zero U.

BILLYFRED0000
10-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by sic'em
from my count there are 5 pilot point grads on the celina coaching staff plus coach jones who was @ pp for 10 years...
back in my day, we used to call each others plays at the line of scrimmage and they had the same names. nothing like walking up to the line of scrimmage and the defense calling your play with the exact same words just relayed in the huddle. those days are long gone. i do think that pp is better than last year, but they will be fortunate to keep in within 28.

That is what I really miss. The fire in the rivalry is still there. But it was so cool to watch the 10 1 D on both sides play against two decent to good offenses and just beat each other up with one great defensive play after another till someone finally makes a mistake and the offense gets a score. Some really great hard hitting football like you hardly ever see anymore.

icu812
10-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Well truth be told region 2 small school looks weak this year. Nobody is really playing up to last years group. Bboro was great last year for example. Atlanta is not up this year. Canton while good is no better than last year. Just looking around so far no one looks great except Celina right now. That game Friday was the utter destruction of a decent if not good team. I still think the GOTW would be better served by Van Bboro. But se la vi.

Right now I agree. Hopefully by the time the playoffs roll around somebody will step up in D2. Some team with lots of talent will come together at the right time. But, Celina is the clear team to beat. D1 is stronger this year with Gilmer and Royce City at the top.

charlesrixey
10-11-2007, 08:26 AM
But se la vi.

c'est la vie

:p

sic'em
10-11-2007, 09:23 AM
That is what I really miss. The fire in the rivalry is still there. But it was so cool to watch the 10 1 D on both sides play against two decent to good offenses and just beat each other up with one great defensive play after another till someone finally makes a mistake and the offense gets a score. Some really great hard hitting football like you hardly ever see anymore.

i understand rixey's desire to make this the game of the week, b/c we all think back to those games between 1988 and 2004. i would put that string of games up against any rivalry anywhere ever. that era is over though. the administration and coach moore's staff in '04 saw to that.

BILLYFRED0000
10-11-2007, 11:39 PM
I agree with that to a point. There is still a lot of talent over there. I just wonder if the administration wants to have a good program or not.

charlesrixey
10-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by sic'em
i understand rixey's desire to make this the game of the week, b/c we all think back to those games between 1988 and 2004. i would put that string of games up against any rivalry anywhere ever. that era is over though. the administration and coach moore's staff in '04 saw to that.

i really did have hope

looks like it was unfounded

22-0 in the second quarter

BILLYFRED0000
10-12-2007, 10:06 PM
49 0 at the beginning of the fourth.