PDA

View Full Version : Travis Schneider Interview (former Bellville now A&M OL)

KL3
10-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Heading into the season the offensive line at Texas A&M received all kinds of accolades from preseason publications, TV analysts and writers across the state of Texas. Four seniors returned with junior Yemi Babalola coming back as well, and together the five of them had 135 starts before stepping on the field this season.

One guy that often is overlooked, however, is junior tackle Travis Schneider. Schneider started for the majority of the 2006 season as he started nine games while Babalola nursed an injury that eventually forced him to the sideline for the season.

With Babalola presently nursing another injury, the offensive line's unsung hero has stepped in once again, earning a start against Baylor last weekend. He'll most likely be counted on as the starter and take the majority of snaps once again this week against Oklahoma State.

Compared to last year, the 6-foot-8, 303-pound Schneider is much more comfortable with the starting role.

"Last year I was kind of nervous because it was my first year I got to start, and now I still get pumped up and get excited. I'm always nervous before the first play on a Saturday, but it's just like kind of a regular deal for me," Schneider said. "I don't know if (Babalola is) going to be ready to go one week to the next, and if he's not ready to go I have to step up and play."

During August camp head coach Dennis Franchione said that he considers Schneider a starter with the amount of work he gets in every game combined with his nine starts as a sophomore. Since the beginning of 2006, it makes sense since he's started more games than Babalola.

"We're a close knit unit and always do stuff together and I always have to prepare myself to play because I never know when my opportunities are going to arise," Schneider said. "I have to do everything in my power to get ready to play, and I think I play well with the guys you have been starting for four years like Kirk (Elder) and Corey (Clark) and Cody (Wallace) and (Chris) Yoder so I don't think it's ever a problem when I have to get out there and play."

Even while Babalola was healthy, however, Schneider got time in the game. He and sophomore guard Michael Shumard are regulars in the offensive line rotation.

"He would go two series' and I would go one, then he would go two and I would go one or something like that," Schneider said. "That's how we were doing it."

Gaining the experience that he is, Schneider will be looked at as a leader of the offensive line next year as a senior. The Aggies will lose Wallace, Yoder, Elder and Clark, and many think A&M will have a huge void to fill on the offensive line.

While the losses will hurt, Schneider said that Aggie fans will be surprised at how good the offensive line will be with the backups stepping to the forefront along with Babalola hopefully healthy for his senior season.

"I think we will be solid and we're going to surprise some people. I know a lot of people think that we are young and inexperienced, but the guys that we have stepping up like Kevin Matthews, Lee Grimes and Michael Shumard will all be ready to go by next year," Schneider said. "Some are getting experience. I know Shumard is rotating too and he's getting game experience, and I know we'll be ready to go. I know that's going to be a big question mark after this season and going into offseason a lot of people are going to be putting emphasis on it, but I think that we'll show people that we'll be able to play by next fall."

For the meantime, however, Schneider is focused on this, and in particular Saturday's game with Oklahoma State. Schneider will most likely be the starter at tackle once again in the biggest game of the Aggies' young season so far.

The winner will take over sole possession of the Big 12 South as the only undefeated team left in the division.

"This is definitely a big game for us because if we win this one against Oklahoma State Saturday then we're up top on the Big 12 South, and we'd have a lot of momentum going into Lubbock the next Saturday which is a big rivalry for us," Schneider said. "This is definitely a big one and we're not looking past it. We're going to be ready and we're going to have a good game plan, and we'll be ready to go Saturday."

Old Tiger
10-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I remember looking up at him my sophomore year and was like wow.

Bull's-eye
10-05-2007, 05:50 PM
He has really put on the weight, I remember him playing around 225-235 lb range in high school.

tortilla_man
10-06-2007, 03:25 AM
thing is he quit his jr year in hs to concentrate in basketball but coachs convinced him otherwise, glad he listened and the coachs talked to him! I remember he told me the aggie coachs was to drink a gallon of milk a day and some beer, but to keep working out to add some pounds and muscle.

BrahmaMom
10-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Congrats to Travis. He is a big boy and has represented Bellville well. Hats off to the coaches who convinced him to play football even though he was great at basketball. It has been the right thing for Travis. Keep it up Travis!

KL3
10-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Here is another story from Aggiesports.com. They talk about Bellville and the "Pasture of Pain".

Schneider (http://www.aggiesports.com/stories/100607/football_20071006012.php)

BrahmaMom
10-06-2007, 09:06 PM
That was nice, he did a good job. Thanks, KL3. The Pasture does evoke emotion.