PDA

View Full Version : Sinton/Burnet Article in the CC Caller Times

District303aPastPlayer
11-29-2003, 10:35 AM
No escape
Bulldogs attack Pirates early in win

By Greg Rajan Caller-Times
November 29, 2003

It didn't take Sinton long to learn why Burnet is the state's No. 1 Class 3A football team.

Try about 24 minutes.

The Bulldogs jumped out to a huge halftime lead en route to a 42-21 victory over the Pirates in the Division I state quarterfinals on Friday at Buc Stadium.

Burnet (13-0) will play Jasper or Manor in the state semifinals next week. Sinton ended its season at 9-4. (Note: Jasper/Burnet next week)

Sinton was eliminated by Burnet for the second consecutive year in the state quarterfinals. Last year, No. 2 Burnet won 19-7 over top-ranked Sinton at San Marcos.

"We made some mistakes on defense to open this thing up and give them some big plays," Sinton coach Jimmie Mitchell said. "We knew we couldn't do that, and we did. I told the kids we didn't do the things all the way around like we needed to do to get the job done."

On Friday, Burnet rolled to a 35-7 halftime lead behind the senior triumvirate of quarterback Stephen McGee, running back Chris Levens and wide receiver Jordan Shipley.

In the first 24 minutes, Levens ran for 123 yards and scored three touchdowns, McGee threw a pair of scoring passes and Shipley hauled in a touchdown of his own.

Shipley, who's committed to the University of Texas, finished the game with seven receptions. That gives him 253 for his career, breaking the state record of 252 set by Mission's Nati Valdez from 1986-88.

"It's a good accomplishment, I guess," Shipley said. "Steve and all the guys on the offense contributed (to it). It's a group effort and I feel like we all did it together."

Despite the lopsided halftime score, Sinton was very much in the game until a pivotal 14-point swing early in the second quarter.

With Burnet up 14-7, Sinton had first-and-goal from the Burnet 4 when quarterback Daniel Ramirez lunged for the end zone from the 1. He fumbled, and Burnet's Cody Warner recovered the ball in the end zone.

Seven plays later, McGee hit Warner for a 7-yard touchdown pass with 7:10 remaining in the half and the Bulldogs started to break the game open.

"There's no doubt, that was a huge momentum-changer in the game," Burnet coach Bob Shipley said.

Levens then scored on runs of 1 and 13 yards late in the half to give Burnet an insurmountable lead.

After getting within 35-13 in the second half, Burnet again caught another break late in the third quarter. Jordan Shipley was hit on a punt return and appeared to fumble, with Sinton recovering the ball at midfield. But Shipley was ruled down and the Bulldogs were able to put the Pirates away shortly thereafter.

"He did (fumble)," Mitchell said. "That could have been a big momentum swing right there. It was a bad call, but it was one of those things you've got to live with and move on. But we shouldn't have got ourselves in that hole in the first half.

"But I'm really proud of the way we came out in the second half. We're leaving here happy with our heads up and proud of what we've accomplished this year."

olddawggreen
11-29-2003, 11:45 AM
Thanks!