PDA

View Full Version : On the 4A board ....

3afan
10-05-2007, 10:12 AM
... someone said that kids that don't play football are "quitters" and "losers". thats ALMOST as bad as when someone on this board said that kids that don't play are "COWARDS".

why do people think like that? boggles the mind ...

Bull19
10-05-2007, 10:13 AM
ignorance

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
... someone said that kids that don't play football are "quitters" and "losers". thats ALMOST as bad as when someone on this board said that kids that don't play are "COWARDS".

I meet more people who didn't play high school football here at TAMU than I meet who did play, and it was a preposterous thought at first, but it happens.

luvhoops34
10-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Not everybody is into sports. Everyone has different interests, that's what makes the world go 'round.:D

Maroon87
10-05-2007, 10:21 AM

As a HS football player it was drilled into your brain that if you quit one thing, you'd quit everything at some point. I never bought into it. To be honest I think it depends on the individual in question as to what quitting football says about them as a person. Actually I was jealous of the guys and gals on the golf team because they were so much better than me...:cool:

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Not everybody is into sports. Everyone has different interests, that's what makes the world go 'round.:D

Not everyone is athletic enough for sports either!!

That mindset pisses me off!! :mad:

crzyjournalist03
10-05-2007, 10:23 AM

I never played a down of organized football in my life, but I've managed to have a great deal of success in my life already, and my life in the working world is just getting started...

From my experience, there are just as many "losers" on football teams as there are in any other walk of life...I've seen more than a few kids that I went to school with who played football make some really stupid choices and ruin a lot of good things for themselves.

Maroon87
10-05-2007, 10:25 AM

Also...consider the source. It was R2D2 that posted that. :rolleyes:

crzyjournalist03
10-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Also...consider the source. It was R2D2 that posted that. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: as if a trash can with blinking lights has any room to talk...:D

Maroon87
10-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
:rolleyes: as if a trash can with blinking lights has any room to talk...:D

Actually his sn is rkhufu7 but we call him R2D2 because all he does is make noise that no one can understand.:D

And he never misses a chance to tell us how overrated Brownwood is...:rolleyes:

3afan
10-05-2007, 10:40 AM
... kids that don't play are "COWARDS".

I held my tongue on that one ..... :mad:

burnet44
10-05-2007, 10:52 AM
no I dont think thats ignorant
I do understand the mind set
its not a question so much of athletcs
its a question of how you are gonna face life and its ups and downs
Texas is a football state
It is very important to us
but more importantly is teaching our kids the things that participating in activities teaches and demands of us
I would be no where near where iIam today with out athletics
I would be no where near the parent i am with out athletics
My kids would be no where as good as they are without athletics

It taught me mental toughness, work ethic, adversity, and success.
My daughters have learned from me and their involvement in activities the values that will make them a success.
Example-Wed night my youngest comes home
has a Chemistry test-6 page essay-history test and Alg II test on thursday
She gets something to eat and goes to work-gets it done-makes 100's on all her assignments
Athletics and band and her envolvement in activities renforces the work ethic, achievement, and competition that enables her to be successful in school
We have tried to model these atributes to our kids so that they will be MORE successful that we are
We have never let out kids quit
they finish the year no matter what
If they chose to not participate the next year we discuss it
My oldest was a powerlifter and ran xc for 6 years
She never quit
I am as proud of her for that as all the track meets and powerlifting meets she won
why? was she good? no
The courage it took for her to compete in a sport thats she was not very good at, the actual physical pain she endured, the little chance of personal success made me very proud of the person she is.
I will rest easier at night remembering what she went through running xc. I know she wont quit in life no matter what. many cant understand why a kid who has no business running xc is doing it. It is for the future, To be a better athlete, a better person, a better employee.

She is at college now. She is on the track team as a walk on.
I know this. They will have to run her off to get rid of her. She will come everyday, work hard everyday, do what coach asks, and try to be the best she can. Why do I know this. Athletics, band, UIL, Student council, NHS, getting 24 hrs of college credit in high school. In short her PATICIPATION in all those activities.

Thats why you dont quit

ok fire away
the usual

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by burnet44

Thats why you dont quit

ok fire away
the usual

Okay....I have a question for you. What if you never started TO quit??

Also, my daughter, (bless her heart) was just not a very coordinated person! She tried out for the volleyball team AND basketball team in 7th and 8th grade....she was cut both years!! She decided to go a different route than sports.

What do you propose she had done differently??

Granted,.....she stayed in Athletics as a Student trainer for 3 years, graduated a year early and is in college now.

3afan
10-05-2007, 11:01 AM
well stated ----- but, just because a kid does not play FOOTBALL does not mean that kid is a loser, quitter, or as you put it - a coward ...

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 11:04 AM
well stated ----- but, just because a kid does not play FOOTBALL does not mean that kid is a loser, quitter, or as you put it - a coward ...

I had 4 boys play football from 3rd grade through their freshman year...all of them gave it up. I didn't consider any of them cowards, and I don't think a single one of them has regretted it to this day!!! I didn't let any of them quit during the season, but I didn't force them to go out the next year either!!

I remember making a post on this board when my youngest son decided to hang up his cleats...it broke my heart!!

eagles_victory
10-05-2007, 11:05 AM
i look down on people who quit in the middle of the season i was never allowed to quit anything no matter how much i hated it... But after 8th grade i didnt play football again thats not quitting i tried it for 2 years gave it my all and decided i wasnt that good and wanted to spend more time playing sports that i was more equipped to play... Quitting in the middle of the season isnt good but deciding not to play the next year i have no problem with

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i look down on people who quit in the middle of the season i was never allowed to quit anything no matter how much i hated it... But after 8th grade i didnt play football again thats not quitting i tried it for 2 years gave it my all and decided i wasnt that good and wanted to spend more time playing sports that i was more equipped to play... Quitting in the middle of the season isnt good but deciding not to play the next year i have no problem with

I agree 100%!!

burnet44
10-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Okay....I have a question for you. What if you never started TO quit??

Also, my daughter, (bless her heart) was just not a very coordinated person! She tried out for the volleyball team AND basketball team in 7th and 8th grade....she was cut both years!! She decided to go a different route than sports.

What do you propose she had done differently??

Granted,.....she stayed in Athletics as a Student trainer for 3 years, graduated a year early and is in college now.

thats cool
but did she really want to play those sports?
If so work hard and keep trying out
that is why mine ran xc
to help them in other sports
If she really wanted to play encourage her to keep trying
do the things to make herself better
off season-xc-running-lifting ect
never give up a dream
do the things needed to participate if thats what you really want
trust me mine got NO USEFUL DNA from me
they have worked hard to overcome the crappy genes
given to them by their parents
I do believe this
Everyone can be on a team somewhere
I know kids get cut
but there is a place for all
Ive never seen a kid cut from track or xc
or powerlifting
there are other things to participate in
but if she tried and didnt want to play thats cool
but give her ways to make herself better so she can
summer league is another way also
Im saying just because you dont make it one time dont quit
never never never give up

fire it up

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
thats cool
but did she really want to play those sports?
If so work hard and keep trying out
that is why mine ran xc
to help them in other sports
If she really wanted to play encourage her to keep trying
do the things to make herself better
off season-xc-running-lifting ect
never give up a dream
do the things needed to participate if thats what you really want
trust me mine got NO USEFUL DNA from me
they have worked hard to overcome the crappy genes
given to them by their parents
I do believe this
Everyone can be on a team somewhere
I know kids get cut
but there is a place for all
Ive never seen a kid cut from track or xc
or powerlifting
there are other things to participate in
but if she tried and didnt want to play thats cool
but give her ways to make herself better so she can
summer league is another way also
Im saying just because you dont make it one time dont quit
never never never give up

fire it up

Actually....when she started as a student trainer, that is where she found her "calling".

She is going to nursing school....or some facet of the medical profession....she's not 100% sure what branch yet!!

crzyjournalist03
10-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I actually quit baseball my junior year of high school and haven't regretted it for a minute.

It hasn't affected my life or taught me that it's ok to give up or anything like that. It was a conscious choice that I made to give myself the best opportunity to succeed. I wasn't very talented, but I worked harder than most of the kids with talent. In fact, I had the highest batting average on the JV team when I quit. One game, the opposing pitcher would have had a perfect game if it wasn't for me getting a basehit.

From the time I was very young I had dreamed about nothing other than playing baseball. I started on varsity my sophomore year at my school before transferring to Forney. I was the kid who coaches would say had "heart" more than "talent".

But when it came down to it, during the spring of my junior year, it just wasn't worth it to continue. At the time I was running track, playing baseball, and was one of the top performers for my school's UIL academics team. As much as baseball was my passion, I knew that it wasn't my ticket in life. The coaches didn't appreciate my involvement with the academic team, and they treated me unfairly because of it. (I'm not going into details about what happened because I'm not trying to bash the coaches). For the first time in my life, my grades started slipping to high Bs, and the practice was so rigorous that it made getting homework done a serious chore.

So one day, I decided I'd had enough, told the coach I appreciated the opportunity, but realized that baseball wasn't my future anymore. I called my mom on a payphone in the school and had her come pick me up.

A couple of months later, I went on to become our school's first UIL academic state champion in years. I also placed at the JV district track meet. I went on to college with enough financial aid that between that and my job, I didn't owe a penny when I graduated, despite the fact that my parents were unable to make any financial contribution to my education. I graduated from the University of North Texas this past spring with a perfect 4.0 GPA.

If walking off of that baseball field and giving up on my childhood dream makes me a quitter, then being a quitter was the best thing that I ever did in life.

old warrior
10-05-2007, 12:00 PM
ranger mom, As a coach,I see nothing wrong with what you're saying
Sports are not for everyone
Football, especially, is not for everyone
I tell my players, particularly the younger ones this every year.

As a coach I love to see kids out for football. I wish we could have all the guys in school playing, but that is not realistic.
Athletics is meant for some kids, just like band is meant for some kids. All kids should have something that they can be a part of and take ownership in.

What I cannot stand is kids quitting something they have started, I do believe that once you quit something the first time it gets easier and easier to quit everytime you face a challenge in life. Then where are you? Bouncing from job to job and never accomplishing anything.
For those of you like Maroon87 who don't "buy into that", ask yourself this question. What will you do when life backs you into a corner? If you don't buy into the philosohy that quitters never win what will you do when your back is against the wall?
Or will you never get yourself into that position because you won't let yourself totally commit to something that may put you in a vulnerable position. That's just as bad as a quitter in my book.

Burnet44, your daughter sounds like a hell of a girl, you should be proud.

crzyjournalist03
10-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by old warrior

For those of you like Maroon87 who don't "buy into that", ask yourself this question. What will you do when life backs you into a corner? If you don't buy into the philosohy that quitters never win what will you do when your back is against the wall?

Quitting in athletics and quitting in life are two completely different things IMO...I've been backed into more than my share of corners in my life, and I've come to realize that there are some things worth fighting for and others that are not.

Making a way for myself by playing baseball was not something worth fighting for.

Supporting my wife and growing closer to her after suffering a miscarriage last winter was. My decision to quit baseball has never influenced me to walk away from anything in life that really matters, and it never will. I honestly don't see how the two can be compared.

3afan
10-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I actually quit baseball my junior year of high school and haven't regretted it for a minute.

It hasn't affected my life or taught me that it's ok to give up or anything like that. It was a conscious choice that I made to give myself the best opportunity to succeed. I wasn't very talented, but I worked harder than most of the kids with talent. In fact, I had the highest batting average on the JV team when I quit. One game, the opposing pitcher would have had a perfect game if it wasn't for me getting a basehit.

From the time I was very young I had dreamed about nothing other than playing baseball. I started on varsity my sophomore year at my school before transferring to Forney. I was the kid who coaches would say had "heart" more than "talent".

But when it came down to it, during the spring of my junior year, it just wasn't worth it to continue. At the time I was running track, playing baseball, and was one of the top performers for my school's UIL academics team. As much as baseball was my passion, I knew that it wasn't my ticket in life. The coaches didn't appreciate my involvement with the academic team, and they treated me unfairly because of it. (I'm not going into details about what happened because I'm not trying to bash the coaches). For the first time in my life, my grades started slipping to high Bs, and the practice was so rigorous that it made getting homework done a serious chore.

So one day, I decided I'd had enough, told the coach I appreciated the opportunity, but realized that baseball wasn't my future anymore. I called my mom on a payphone in the school and had her come pick me up.

A couple of months later, I went on to become our school's first UIL academic state champion in years. I also placed at the JV district track meet. I went on to college with enough financial aid that between that and my job, I didn't owe a penny when I graduated, despite the fact that my parents were unable to make any financial contribution to my education. I graduated from the University of North Texas this past spring with a perfect 4.0 GPA.

If walking off of that baseball field and giving up on my childhood dream makes me a quitter, then being a quitter was the best thing that I ever did in life.

not a bad umpire either! :D

crzyjournalist03
10-05-2007, 12:10 PM
not a bad umpire either! :D

lol thanks...

and notice I never walked away from my job in the middle of the season regardless of how many angry parents I had to deal with...;)

Sweetwater Red
10-05-2007, 12:16 PM
lol thanks...

and notice I never walked away from my job in the middle of the season regardless of how many angry parents I had to deal with...;)

Well I heard your strike zone is 4ft by 3ft. I'd be made to.:devil: :D

Unless of course i was the pitcher's parents...:thinking: :D .

Maroon87
10-05-2007, 12:16 PM

Or will you never get yourself into that position because you won't let yourself totally commit to something that may put you in a vulnerable position. That's just as bad as a quitter in my book.

Let me clarify my statement...I never quit football. I did stop playing baseball after Little League, which I regret because I was probably better at baseball than football. I had several friends who quit football (not in the middle of the season, mind you) and the fact that I continued to play after they left didn't make me a better person than them in my mind. In others minds I'm sure it did, but not me. They had other interests they wanted to pursue and football was interfering with those pursuits. I always respected them for their decision, even though I chose to keep playing because I enjoyed it. And yes, all of us have had our backs to the wall at numerous points in our lives and are still here plowing ahead. Football is a tremendous learning experience when it comes to how to succeed and persevere beyond the white lines, but I don't think because someone chooses not to play anymore it means they are deficient in some way.

Remember: Robert Smith quit football at Ohio St to focus on his medical studies, then quit the Vikings to begin his practice.

crzyjournalist03
10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Well I heard your strike zone is 4ft by 3ft. I'd be made to.:devil: :D

Unless of course i was the pitcher's parents...:thinking: :D .

ha...

usually it wasn't the strike zone that ticked them off...

it was the hesitation rule, where the runner would hop back and forth when the pitcher would get the ball within the circle just to try to force a throw, or it was the girls sliding into a base safely, then hopping up without calling time and stepping off the bag to wipe themselves off while the fielder kept the tag on the entire time.

I had a few coaches throw an "argument" at me to appease the parents and after the inning as they walked back to the bench would wink and smile at me and say "good call".

luvhoops34
10-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Not everyone is athletic enough for sports either!!

I had a t-shirt that said, "picked last in gym class.":D

luvhoops34
10-05-2007, 12:46 PM
ranger mom, As a coach,I see nothing wrong with what you're saying
Sports are not for everyone
Football, especially, is not for everyone
I tell my players, particularly the younger ones this every year.

As a coach I love to see kids out for football. I wish we could have all the guys in school playing, but that is not realistic.
Athletics is meant for some kids, just like band is meant for some kids. All kids should have something that they can be a part of and take ownership in.

What I cannot stand is kids quitting something they have started, I do believe that once you quit something the first time it gets easier and easier to quit everytime you face a challenge in life. Then where are you? Bouncing from job to job and never accomplishing anything.

Burnet44, your daughter sounds like a hell of a girl, you should be proud.

My daughter played sports all throught out jr high and high school. The only rule I had was no quitting in the middle of a sport. If you started it, then you are going to finish it. Oh, and in jr high, she had to play. It kept her out of trouble. But in high school, it was her decision.

Some kids are very talented and some are not. I agree there is a place for all, especially at smaller schools. Some kids just want to do sports so they can be part of something. I have no problem with that either. It's just up to the individual. If you're a smart coach you can give everybody a chance to be a part of the sport they are in, talented or not.

coachc45
10-05-2007, 12:50 PM
As a coach, I find myself on both sides of the fence. I see kids quit things way too often. Usually the kid is quitting because of selfish things ie... play time, or losing. I also understand that there are more than one reason to quit. Some kids quit because they have to or at least have a good reason. I think "Good" coaches recognize the difference and work through it.

One other point, I don't know any coach that considers a person not coming out for a sport a quitter. Quitting is what we call someone stopping in the middle of a season.

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by coachc45
As a coach, I find myself on both sides of the fence. I see kids quit things way too often. Usually the kid is quitting because of selfish things ie... play time, or losing. I also understand that there are more than one reason to quit. Some kids quit because they have to or at least have a good reason. I think "Good" coaches recognize the difference and work through it.

One other point, I don't know any coach that considers a person not coming out for a sport a quitter. Quitting is what we call someone stopping in the middle of a season.

I agree....quitting in the middle of the season makes you just that...a quitter!!

That being said, I played basketball and ran track through my sophomore year (we didn't have softball or volleyball then). When I turned 16, I wanted to help my mother, who was single, out and got a job!!

I never though giving up sports and getting a job made me quitter....I was mediocre in basketball and good in track, as I was fast and on all the relay teams...but I wasn't fast enough for it to get me anywhere!!:D :D

necks_c/09
10-05-2007, 04:05 PM
okay, so every kid who never played football is a loser and a quitter and a coward?

stupidest crap i ever heard

Ill admit it...

i played and i quit in 8th grade 4 multiple reasons

1. I was small
2. I got to play but not near as much as i thought i should
3. I hated the coach
4. they never pass the ball( i was a wr/ cb/ st)
5. I didnt have that much time to devote to it.

and so with these peoples mindset, everybody who doesntplay or quits playing is a coward/ loser

thats a load of crap

i could go back and play, anybody could but i would sit the bench b/c of how much time i missed...

how bout every bench rider out there...
theyre all cool and brave and whatnot b/c they are the football team huh?

I know a ton of LOSERS that play football, and i know some cool peeps who dont play.

and what about kids who play other sports, their losers to huh cuz they didnt play football....

its dumba$$es like the guy on the 4a board who should not be allowed to reproduce b/c of how stupid they are.

"makes me wanna puke"

LH Panther Mom
10-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Actually his sn is rkhufu7 but we call him R2D2 because all he does is make noise that no one can understand.:D

And he never misses a chance to tell us how overrated Brownwood is...:rolleyes:
Hey, you left us off that "overrated" thing. :p He does have knowledge; unfortunately most of his time is spent running down teams/coaches/fans, etc. :rolleyes: I was excited the day I proved a point and he took his toys and went home. :D

carter08
10-05-2007, 05:04 PM
rkhufu7 = KTA

but not exactly. like cousins.

old warrior
10-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09

i played and i quit in 8th grade 4 multiple reasons

1. I was small
2. I got to play but not near as much as i thought i should
3. I hated the coach
4. they never pass the ball( i was a wr/ cb/ st)
5. I didnt have that much time to devote to it.

Are your real reasons for quitting?

if so then the coach was probably glad to see you go
you sound like a spoiled little jerk
here are my responses to those reasons

1. you're in 8th grade, you're not the only one, you can get bigger in offseason. Quit expecting instant gratification in all aspects of life. Work towards something, it builds character.

2. you were probably not as good as you thought you were

3. that statement speaks volumes about you as a person

4. if you play for a team that runs the ball, don't expect to catch passes. Quit thinking about yourself and your stats and get your butt down the field and block someone.

5. thats the biggest cop out I have ever heard, you're an 8th grader, what are you SO busy doing?

DaHop72
10-08-2007, 01:43 PM

1. you're in 8th grade, you're not the only one, you can get bigger in offseason. Quit expecting instant gratification in all aspects of life. Work towards something, it builds character.

4. if you play for a team that runs the ball, don't expect to catch passes. Quit thinking about yourself and your stats and get your butt down the field and block someone.

5. thats the biggest cop out I have ever heard, you're an 8th grader, what are you SO busy doing? You might want to hold that thought. He is benched right now. I'm sure he will post an answer in a week or two.:thumbsup:

old warrior
10-08-2007, 01:46 PM
to clear up any misconceptions about my earlier statements

1. Quitting in the middle of a season and not going out for something the next year are two totally different things. Not everyone who starts playing sports in JH will continue through senior year. Nor should some of them. Its great they try out but sports are not for everyone.

2. Kids need to be involved in some activity; sports, band, drama, student council, etc... The important lesson they must learn from any group activity is learning to put the good of the "team" above their own ego. The "there is no I in TEAM" mentality.

3. A kid is not a loser because they don't play sports. I am a coach and was a "jock" in school. I don't sponsor other activities because I am too wrapped up in coaching. But some of my favorite students are not in football, I don't look down on kids that are not athletes.

old warrior
10-08-2007, 01:58 PM

In fact, I had the highest batting average on the JV team when I quit. But when it came down to it, during the spring of my junior year, it just wasn't worth it to continue.

I am not trying to be a jerk but if you were on JV as a junior you probably did not have a future in baseball. I don't doubt that you gave 110% and that you were not a great kid to coach. I am sure you loved the game. But quitting something you have started is never a good thing. Its not about you all the time.
What about your team mates on JV? How did your quitting help them? Team sports is about teaching kids to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

If you start something then you should finish it. Sorry but that is

edited for content :eek: ~~ p4s

3afan
10-08-2007, 02:22 PM
:eek:

crzyjournalist03
10-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I am not trying to be a jerk but if you were on JV as a junior you probably did not have a future in baseball. I don't doubt that you gave 110% and that you were not a great kid to coach. I am sure you loved the game. But quitting something you have started is never a good thing. Its not about you all the time.
What about your team mates on JV? How did your quitting help them? Team sports is about teaching kids to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

If you start something then you should finish it. Sorry but that is

Well, considering the first half of that post explains why I quit, I'll just respond to the second half.

Quitting helped the former teammates because now there was one less body on the team taking up playing time. Instead of sitting on the bench, now at least one teammate is being put in the lineup.

And if you really think that I quit because I thought it was all about me, then I have no interest in ever holding a conversation with you. You've never spoken to me before, and you know nothing about me personally. If you can't realize that sometimes people quit for reasons other than being selfish and trying to "stick it to the team", then you're delusional.

And did you ever stop to think about the other people that I helped out? What about the track team and UIL academics teammates who suddenly got more of my attention, and my performance in both areas went up as a direct result.

Like it or not, there is such a thing as overextension, even for a high schooler, and when it comes down to it, academics should ALWAYS be more important than athletics to a student. I'm proud that I was able to realize this in spite of my dreams. If I hadn't quit that baseball team, there's no way I would have finished with the grades and academic honors that I did that paid my way through college.

But I suppose I should have just stuck with the team, taken away playing time from younger players, let my grades slip, end up in piles of debt thanks to college loans that I would have to take out, just to show everybody that I'm a team player. :rolleyes:

big daddy russ
10-08-2007, 02:53 PM
There's a happy medium between the two. Some people just weren't cut out for sports, but they excel in other areas of life. They may love playing, but if they're third-string on a team that leaves its first-stringers in until late in the fourth, there's no shame in leaving the team after the season's over.

My two favorite sports to play were always soccer and basketball. I was good at soccer, terrible at basketball. Just to give you an idea of how bad I was, I played hoops in junior high and was the fifth starter on the B team. There were only six players, and I think the sixth had cerebal palsy.

Fast-forward to HS. I still played hoops up at the church gym with all the older kids every week, two or three times a week during the summer. Wound up having a 28" vert in HS and was pretty dang quick, but all the measurables in the world never made me a halfway decent basketball player. Still loved playing, but I would've been a JV benchwarmer until my senior year, when I would've been promoted to varsity benchwarmer. There was nothing wrong with me quitting hoops and sticking with football, soccer (I played city league during the summers), and baseball.

I understand that athletics is all about learning to function as a team, to think of others ahead of yourself, and to fight through the tough times until you get to the easier ones, but can't UIL academics or one-act play do the same thing? All I know is that there are plenty of "golden boys" on the football field that never learn the lessons athletics are supposed to teach them while there are plenty of average joes who never even took a PE class that live a nice, well-rounded life. Every school has both, but there's a lot more than being a part of a team, sports or otherwise, that goes into forming a decent human being.

And crzy, there's nothing wrong with you quitting the baseball team. If that's how you were able to pick your grades up high enough to get a scholarship, good for you. There are certain times when you have to look at the bigger picture and see that there's a time to let go.

old warrior
10-09-2007, 10:02 AM
quitting is never the answer

here is my list of activities from high school
I was in these things all four years

football (3yrs starting varsity)
basketball
track
student council
band
choir
jazz band
jazz choir
church youth group (met once a week for a couple hours)
(keep in mind it was a small school and me and my friends were all involved in all of these types of activities)

I also carried a B average without a lot of effort
and I had an active social life and worked on the family farm

I don't buy the "I just don't have time" excuse. That's a cop out.
My senior year of basketball I was not getting the playing time I wanted or thought I deserved and it tore me up. But I did not quit although it would have been a heck of a lot easier than sticking it out. I was glad when it was over but I am also glad I stuck it out with my team.
I know I am not gonna change your mind that quitting is OK and you sure are not gonna change mine. But if I ever coach your kids you can expect them to get the message from me that quitting is never the answer in any aspect of life.
You can try and convince us that you have no regrets about it but the only person you have to answer to is the man in the mirror.

As for me I'll stick by the advice my old man gave me.

"If you start something you better d*mn well finish it."

Bull Butter
10-09-2007, 10:17 AM
You mean there's actually something on the 4A board other than Calallen-GP bickering????????

IHStangFan
10-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
You mean there's actually something on the 4A board other than Calallen-GP bickering???????? what are they bickering about...which one of em is gonna get their tails kicked up between their sholders by LaMarque? LOL.

AP Panther Fan
10-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Just to give you an idea of how bad I was, I played hoops in junior high and was the fifth starter on the B team. There were only six players, and I think the sixth had cerebal palsy.

I really shouldn't have been drinking coffee when I read that.

IHStangFan
10-09-2007, 10:37 AM
I was good at soccer, terrible at basketball. Just to give you an idea of how bad I was, I played hoops in junior high and was the fifth starter on the B team. There were only six players, and I think the sixth had cerebal palsy.

you really shouldn't talk about Derick like that Russ.....it's not his fault. :D

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 10:59 AM

basketball
track
student council
band
choir
jazz band
jazz choir
(keep in mind it was a small school and me and my friends were all involved in all of these types of activities)

My senior year of basketball I was not getting the playing time I wanted or thought I deserved and it tore me up. But I did not quit although it would have been a heck of a lot easier than sticking it out. I was glad when it was over but I am also glad I stuck it out with my team.
I know I am not gonna change your mind that quitting is OK and you sure are not gonna change mine. But if I ever coach your kids you can expect them to get the message from me that quitting is never the answer in any aspect of life.
You can try and convince us that you have no regrets about it but the only person you have to answer to is the man in the mirror.

I'm not going to get into an argument trying to show you all that I did, but I guarantee you I did just as much if not more than you did in HS. I would also never let you coach my kids with that kind of attitude. If you're convinced that a silly little football team is more important than taking time to study academically, earn a scholarship, and have a full-ride to college, my kid would most definitely not be playing for you. You have to be able to realize that sometimes there are more important and more valuable things in life than sports, regardless of your dreams. You can call it a "cop out" if you want, but a "B average with lots of effort" wasn't good enough for me. I wanted and expected more of myself.

And you're making it out as though I was a bitter kid who was unahappy with playing time and decided to quit. That had absolutely NOTHING to do with it...if I had quit because I was pissed, I would have quit about the second or third day of practice. As I said in my initial post, there are plenty of things that I believe were handled improperly by those coaches, but that's irrelevant to the situation, and I purposely did not explain what was happening because that's not a legit reason.

As far as me "trying to convince" everybody else that I'm happy...I'm not trying to convince anybody. I really am happy. Once again, you don't know me, and don't appear to be interested in taking the time to, so I'm through with you. If you would take five minutes out of your time to actually learn about my life and what I've been through, maybe then I'd respect your opinion more rather than just assuming that you did everything that I did but just did it better.

old warrior
10-09-2007, 12:36 PM
1st off, re-read what I wrote
I had a B average "without" a lot effort

by the way I also had some scholarships

You say I don't know you?
You don't know anything about what type of coach I am. But you sure do assume to.

Where did I ever write that academics was less important than football

We have MANDATORY tutoring for our football players so that the point is made that they need to take care of their grades.

I teach social studies in a school that has over 90% passing the SS taks in all sub-populations.
I write dozens of scholarship, job interview, college acceptance recomendation letters every year for kids that are not in football or any type of athletics.
I help kids fill out financial aid forms because their parents can't figure them out or won't take the time.
We have a policy on our football team that if you miss practice for a another school related activity you will not have to "make up" conditioning. In other words be punished physically for missing. Now if they just miss for no good reason we hammer them. But I won't punish a kid for being involved in other activities.
I have organized a Xmas present drive for needy families every year that I have coached. I have also taken the first day of my xmas vacation to deliver those presents to the needy families.

Yeah, my priorities are WAY outta place

listen buddy I am not attacking you personally. But I do take issue with your idea that quitting in the middle of a season is OK.
If you make a committment to something you should finish it.
There isn't a coach that is worth a darn out there that will tell you any different.
I am sure you are successful at what you do despite quitting baseball in high school. I am sure you are not a loser or a quitter.
But if you expect a high school football coach to say that quitting anything in the middle of a season is ok you haven't been talking to very many quality coaches.

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 01:11 PM
you're a coach that apparently likes to talk about all the things you do and qualifications that make you a good coach, and you admit that you didn't put much effort into academics...that's enough for me.

I'm done, and not speaking about this again.

sweetwater07
10-09-2007, 01:14 PM
on a lighter note from all of this animosity.
i heard Cleburne is quite improved this year

old warrior
10-09-2007, 01:31 PM

I'm done, and not speaking about this again.

once a quitter always a quitter:D

pirate4state
10-09-2007, 01:33 PM
once a quitter always a quitter

wow i hope this is intended as a sarcastic remark

:rolleyes:

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
wow i hope this is intended as a sarcastic remark

:rolleyes:

:dispntd: that post you quoted right there says everything I need to know about that guy...

old warrior
10-09-2007, 01:43 PM
you admit that you didn't put much effort into academics...that's enough for me.

yeah, and still had a B average

hope you had fun in the library while I was out PLAYING sports and chasing girls

Txbroadcaster
10-09-2007, 01:45 PM
yeah, and still had a B average

hope you had fun in the library while I was out PLAYING sports and chasing girls

Wow..really nothing more to say but WOW

Emerson1
10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
:dispntd: that post you quoted right there says everything I need to know about that guy...
you spoke again

Ranger Mom
10-09-2007, 01:59 PM

+1

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
you spoke again

not to him.

Txbroadcaster
10-09-2007, 02:05 PM
I will take a coach who thinks not only what is best for the team, but best for the player

When I played we had the same type of attitude most teams did, dont quit, especially in season

We had the mantra Once a Maverick always a Maverick, unless you left your teammates in middle of season.

We had a good player go talk to the coach and quit, never knew the reasons why, but the coach came back the next day and said this player has quit for reasons that go beyond the game, football is not the end all be all and sometimes decisions must be made for the betterment of a kid over everything else. And this player will always be a Maverick

That is a coach that knows that not everything is cut and dry, black and white.

We all are forced in life to make tough decisions..sometimes we should take one for the "team" but sometimes life dictates you have to put yourself first..that is not being selfish, that is common sense. The trick is deciding which one applies at the moment

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I will take a coach who thinks not only what is best for the team, but best for the player

When I played we had the same type of attitude most teams did, dont quit, especially in season

We had the mantra Once a Maverick always a Maverick, unless you left your teammates in middle of season.

We had a good player go talk to the coach and quit, never knew the reasons why, but the coach came back the next day and said this player has quit for reasons that go beyond the game, football is not the end all be all and sometimes decisions must be made for the betterment of a kid over everything else. And this player will always be a Maverick

That is a coach that knows that not everything is cut and dry, black and white.

We all are forced in life to make tough decisions..sometimes we should take one for the "team" but sometimes life dictates you have to put yourself first..that is not being selfish, that is common sense. The trick is deciding which one applies at the moment
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Now that's the type of coach I want my kid to have!

old warrior
10-09-2007, 03:11 PM
the funny thing is that someone actually took my last two posts seriously. lighten up!

anyway, broadcaster mentions an interesting scenario.
we have had kids come to us with many different reason for wanting to quit. Most are because they have to work to help out the family to keep the lights turned on. We have ALWAYS worked with them in some way. Practice def or off first and let them miss the half they do not play. We almost always find a way to make it work.
Here's the thing, ya'll can cuss me and be mad that I do not agree with you about quitting in the middle of a season. Of course there are gonig to be rare cases where it is unavoidable but those are far and few between.
I have a passion for coaching, athletics influenced me in a very positive way. I have seen it do the same for a lot of kids. I am proud of what I do and the influence I have on young people. One of the important lessons I preach is to never quit and never give up. Life is gonna be real tough sometimes but you never walk away from something you have committed yourself to.
You guys can rip me all you want for that.
For those of you who are not coaches....
My job and my family's livelyhood depends on how good 16-17 yr old boys can play football. It depends on how many of them I can keep out playing. Administrators and school boards want to see numbers.

I work 7 full days a week from July to Nov-Dec. Excuse me if I get ticked when a kid quits in the middle of a season for no great reason.

Txbroadcaster
10-09-2007, 03:18 PM
the funny thing is that someone actually took my last two posts seriously. lighten up!

anyway, broadcaster mentions an interesting scenario.
we have had kids come to us with many different reason for wanting to quit. Most are because they have to work to help out the family to keep the lights turned on. We have ALWAYS worked with them in some way. Practice def or off first and let them miss the half they do not play. We almost always find a way to make it work.
Here's the thing, ya'll can cuss me and be mad that I do not agree with you about quitting in the middle of a season. Of course there are gonig to be rare cases where it is unavoidable but those are far and few between.
I have a passion for coaching, athletics influenced me in a very positive way. I have seen it do the same for a lot of kids. I am proud of what I do and the influence I have on young people. One of the important lessons I preach is to never quit and never give up. Life is gonna be real tough sometimes but you never walk away from something you have committed yourself to.
You guys can rip me all you want for that.
For those of you who are not coaches....
My job and my family's livelyhood depends on how good 16-17 yr old boys can play football. It depends on how many of them I can keep out playing. Administrators and school boards want to see numbers.

I work 7 full days a week from July to Nov-Dec. Excuse me if I get ticked when a kid quits in the middle of a season for no great reason.

I dont have a problem with your attitude, it just seemed like you was attacking crzy and then chiding him for his decision

big daddy russ
10-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
you really shouldn't talk about Derick like that Russ.....it's not his fault. :D
ROFL.

I'm telling you, B, you've gotta experience Garner with The Dereck before your life is over. You know how Dereck is. He's not just a person, he's an experience.

pirate4state
10-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont have a problem with your attitude, it just seemed like you was attacking crzy and then chiding him for his decision same here

and i was hoping you were being sarcastic with your last post to crzy --- we need this smilie on the board http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/p4s90/sarcasm2redBLACK.gif

THANK YOU KELLYE!!

pirate4state
10-09-2007, 03:22 PM
same here

and i was hoping you were being sarcastic with your last post to crzy --- we need this smilie on the board http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/smilies/sarcasm2.gif

oh wow you can't see it unless i quote myself :D

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a comment that's edited with a smiley after being called out for being inappropriate and following it up with another pointed and deliberately derogatory comment as a joke. Claiming to be joking a few hours after the fact and after more criticism seems like a cheap effort to save face.

pirate4state
10-09-2007, 03:23 PM
oh wow you can't see it unless i quote myself :D well crap it still doesn't show up :mad: :(

IHStangFan
10-09-2007, 03:23 PM
ROFL.

I'm telling you, B, you've gotta experience Garner with The Dereck before your life is over. You know how Dereck is. He's not just a person, he's an experience. hell...I'm too old to experience Garner any way but married w/ child in tow these days...sit my ole butt in a tube and tow an ice chest, a wife and a kid......and that crazy bastage isn't goin anywhere near my children! LOL.

big daddy russ
10-09-2007, 03:24 PM
hell...I'm too old to experience Garner any way but married w/ child in tow these days...sit my ole butt in a tube and tow an ice chest, a wife and a kid......and that crazy bastage isn't goin anywhere near my children! LOL.
You're missing out on all the fun.:D

luvhoops34
10-09-2007, 03:27 PM

basketball
track
student council
band
choir
jazz band
jazz choir

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/images/smilies/thumb3d.gif

3afan
10-09-2007, 03:34 PM
but kids that don't play football are not cowards ...

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a comment that's edited with a smiley after being called out for being inappropriate and following it up with another pointed and deliberately derogatory comment as a joke. Claiming to be joking a few hours after the fact and after more criticism seems like a cheap effort to save face.

ha...I didn't realize that was my 6000th post!

and 3afan is dead on...

luvhoops34
10-09-2007, 04:01 PM
but kids that don't play football are not cowards ...

Who said that on here?:confused: :confused: :confused:

IHStangFan
10-09-2007, 04:15 PM
You're missing out on all the fun.:D aw..come on man...you guys don't know what fun is....remember..I started traveling the world at 18yrs old and didn't come home till I was 23 and then did it again.... I had more fun in those 5-8 yrs than most will have in their entire lifetime.

3afan
10-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Who said that on here?:confused: :confused: :confused:

way back at the beginning

Diocletian
10-09-2007, 05:52 PM
you all have to remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if you did a poll i'm sure there would be a good amount of posters here that would agree to both sides of this issue

big daddy russ
10-09-2007, 06:15 PM
aw..come on man...you guys don't know what fun is....remember..I started traveling the world at 18yrs old and didn't come home till I was 23 and then did it again.... I had more fun in those 5-8 yrs than most will have in their entire lifetime.
I've been to Mexico with Dereck a few times. Call it fun. Call it heart disease. Call it playing Russian Roulette with five bullets.

All I know is that it was enough fun for a lifetime for me, so you definitely have me beat. I don't know if I ever want to have that much fun again.

Seriously, though, where was the coolest place you wound up? Diego Garcia? Dubai? Or Aransas Pass?

old warrior
10-09-2007, 06:26 PM
way back at the beginning

that was never said by me!!!!

in fact if you read all the posts I wrote you'll get an idea of where I'm coming from

3afan
10-09-2007, 10:03 PM
that was never said by me!!!!

in fact if you read all the posts I wrote you'll get an idea of where I'm coming from

no, it wasnt you ...

necks_c/09
10-10-2007, 05:16 PM

5. thats the biggest cop out I have ever heard, you're an 8th grader, what are you SO busy doing? okay, so im back and here are my resposes.

Not that that you should really care why i quit, but yea those are my reasons. let me elaborate since you seem to have a beef with my reasons.

1. Yea i can get bigger, but i was REALLY small, and it was pretty obvious i wasnt getting much bigger. I'm still only 5'8 145.

2. No, i was a pretty good player, but there were a lot of us, and not much playing time devoted to each of us. thats y i was mad about PT, b/c i was better than some, NOT ALL and even playing time was distributed to everybody.

3. oh im sorry, i didnt know it was against the rules to dislike anybody, and just so happened it was the coach and i wasnt the only person, fyi.

4.Everybody runs the ball in JH buddy, and i wasnt worried about stats....

i just wanted to do something besides block every play.

5. okay, let me rephrase.

I didnt WANT to devote that much time to something i wasnt enjoying.

And i am very conscious about my grades and spend alot of time doing HW. (going to practice till 5: 30 everyday wasnt helping me in class much.)

I hope that makes you happy!

crzyjournalist03
10-10-2007, 05:19 PM
I hope that makes you happy!

good luck...I've already determined it's probably best to just ignore the guy...

necks_c/09
10-10-2007, 05:22 PM
good luck...I've already determined it's probably best to just ignore the guy... yea, well i didnt appreciate him going after me like that, so i had to respond

crzyjournalist03
10-10-2007, 05:27 PM
yea, well i didnt appreciate him going after me like that, so i had to respond

oh, don't get me wrong, I totally understand...he did the same to me and I just got tired of it and decided not to listen to his prodding anymore.

necks_c/09
10-10-2007, 05:30 PM
oh, don't get me wrong, I totally understand...he did the same to me and I just got tired of it and decided not to listen to his prodding anymore. probably the best decision but HOPS was waiting for my response and they knew i would have one when my suspension got lifted.:D