PDA

View Full Version : Should Marion Jones be stripped of her Olympic Medals??

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 08:33 AM
What do you think?

Jones admits using steroids before Olympics

US athlete Marion Jones has admitted to using steroids as she prepared for the 2000 Olympics.

Jones plans to plead guilty tomorrow on two counts of lying to federal agents about her drug use and an unrelated financial matter.

The move means she could be stripped of the three gold medals and two bronzes that she won in Sydney seven years ago.

Link (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/sport/other-sports/article3030285.ece)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Yes, cheating is cheating, and not only is she a cheater, she's a liar. I have no respect for athletes who cheat and take the easy way out to have an advantage over the people who put in the time and the effort to get to where they want to be. Steroids and other performance enhancing drugs are outlawed because it's ethically and morally wrong and is a slap in the face to the people who actually earned it. I think she deserves no credit and no reward for what she did, but that's just me.

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Yes, cheating is cheating, and not only is she a cheater, she's a liar. I have no respect for athletes who cheat and take the easy way out to have an advantage over the people who put in the time and the effort to get to where they want to be. Steroids and other performance enhancing drugs are outlawed because it's ethically and morally wrong and is a slap in the face to the people who actually earned it. I think she deserves no credit and no reward for what she did, but that's just me.

I agree whole-heartedly!! I believed her when she emphatically denied it on Good Morning America last year...I feel like she lied to my face!!:mad: :mad:

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 08:40 AM
The question I have is, "To whom are they going to give the medals?"

All the competitive women were on steroids. She has just confessed.

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

Nobody!! If they were all on steroids then none of them deserve it!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-05-2007, 08:41 AM

Were they though?

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Were they though?

Hey, I have been around long enough to recognize a lady that is sporting a pair.

I have yet to have a "The Crying Game" moment.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Hey, I have been around long enough to recognize a lady that is sporting a pair.

I have yet to have a "The Crying Game" moment.

So it's purely speculation I'm taking it...

Bearkat
10-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Yes. If she has admitted to being on steriods, or any other banned substance, when she won the gold medal, she should lose everything that comes with the victory.

BobcatBenny
So it's purely speculation I'm taking it...

No, because safe gun handling procedures require you to know that a gun is always loaded! :D

ronwx5x

And you received this information from where? Shouldn't make blanket statements that are unprovable. It's not as though I know, but at least I know I don't know, and don't paint all with one brush.

hutex04
10-05-2007, 08:57 AM
yes she deserves her metals taken and she deserves a huge fine. I hope she gets blasted from the media for lieing all these years

Send_the_House
10-05-2007, 08:58 AM
The problem is everyone is doing it. In my opinion, if whatever testing devices used by the olympics dont catch the "cheating", then it should be ruled legal.

How can you ban something you can't catch people doing? That is just hurting the honest athletes.

Ban the stuff you know you can catch, legalize the rest.... and in the meantime, try to figure out how to catch the things you don't want being used...

Phil C
10-05-2007, 09:02 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!

BE POLITICALLY CORRECT TOO!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Phil C
10-05-2007, 09:03 AM
AND DON'T FORGET THE STATUE OF LIMITATIONS AND EX POST FACTO LAWS!!

:mad:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Send_the_House
The problem is everyone is doing it. In my opinion, if whatever testing devices used by the olympics dont catch the "cheating", then it should be ruled legal.

How can you ban something you can't catch people doing? That is just hurting the honest athletes.

Ban the stuff you know you can catch, legalize the rest.... and in the meantime, try to figure out how to catch the things you don't want being used...

I humbly disagree, but understand where you're coming from. I'm a collegiate athlete, and I know how hard the struggle is to be the best and how hard the never-ending climb is, but someday when I get to the top, and even if I never do, I will be able to look at myself honestly in the mirror and know that I did everything that I could do except cheat to get to where I will be and I would be able to look my father and hopefully someday my children in the eyes and tell them that truthfully. Just because you can steal something when nobody is looking and get away with it doesn't mean that it's right, and I think the same principles apply here.

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I humbly disagree, but understand where you're coming from. I'm a collegiate athlete, and I know how hard the struggle is to be the best and how hard the never-ending climb is, but someday when I get to the top, and even if I never do, I will be able to look at myself honestly in the mirror and know that I did everything that I could do except cheat to get to where I will be and I would be able to look my father and hopefully someday my children in the eyes and tell them that truthfully. Just because you can steal something when nobody is looking and get away with it doesn't mean that it's right, and I think the same principles apply here.

I think I like you more and more every day!!:p :p

Phil C
10-05-2007, 09:12 AM
DON'T FORGET SHE WAS TESTED OFTEN AND ALWAYS PASSED SUCH DRUG TESTS! That is what is so puzzling.

:(

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
And you received this information from where? Shouldn't make blanket statements that are unprovable. It's not as though I know, but at least I know I don't know, and don't paint all with one brush.

I agree. That is why I limited it to the competitive women.

So, OJ didn't kill his wife. (unproven)
Barry Bonds didn't use enhancements. (unproven)
And . . . Sen. Craig is not a homosexual. (unproven)

And you would let this guy babysit your children?

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2006/08/17/karr-cp-10565391.jpg

I always am amazed at people that refuse to use discernement.

Which of these guys deserves the medal?

http://www.geocities.com/ewen_99/031_08_b.jpg

Phil C
10-05-2007, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BobcatBenny
[B]

I always am amazed at people that use discernement.

Thank you Bob. :)

crzyjournalist03
10-05-2007, 09:25 AM
The problem with stripping athletes of their medals or stripping NCAA teams of wins, etc. is that everybody remembers who won. Five years from now, people will still remember Floyd Landis as the Tour winner...heck, I don't even know the name of the guy who has the title now.

Phil C
10-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
The problem with stripping athletes of their medals or stripping NCAA teams of wins, etc. is that everybody remembers who won. Five years from now, people will still remember Floyd Landis as the Tour winner...heck, I don't even know the name of the guy who has the title now.

The winner of the 2006 Tour de France is now Oscar Pereiro of Spain. (and I am not completely sure if he was completely clean).

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

HaHa....if someone would have asked me who Floyd Landis was before I read your post, I couldn't have told them!!:D

crzyjournalist03
10-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
HaHa....if someone would have asked me who Floyd Landis was before I read your post, I couldn't have told them!!:D

:doh: Ok, so it wasn't the best example in the world...but I think you get the point!

DaHop72
10-05-2007, 09:35 AM
I humbly disagree, but understand where you're coming from. I'm a collegiate athlete, and I know how hard the struggle is to be the best and how hard the never-ending climb is, but someday when I get to the top, and even if I never do, I will be able to look at myself honestly in the mirror and know that I did everything that I could do except cheat to get to where I will be and I would be able to look my father and hopefully someday my children in the eyes and tell them that truthfully. Just because you can steal something when nobody is looking and get away with it doesn't mean that it's right, and I think the same principles apply here. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ronwx5x
10-05-2007, 09:38 AM
I agree. That is why I limited it to the competitive women.

So, OJ didn't kill his wife. (unproven)
Barry Bonds didn't use enhancements. (unproven)
And . . . Sen. Craig is not a homosexual. (unproven)

And you would let this guy babysit your children?

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2006/08/17/karr-cp-10565391.jpg

I always am amazed at people that refuse to use discernement.

Which of these guys deserves the medal?

http://www.geocities.com/ewen_99/031_08_b.jpg

Those comparisons are so far from this thread they hardly deserve comment. We are discussing competitive athletes who may have used banned performance enhancing drugs, not lunatics, questionable politicians or any other detritus you may want to dig up. Discernment? I'm not sure what you mean, but my vote would be to strip any athlete of medals won by illegal means. I also would not want to strip "all" of them because you think they may have used an illegal drug. That's why we have drug testing and legal means of discipline.

pirate4state
10-05-2007, 09:38 AM

:clap: great post! :)

burnet44
10-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Its all about money
the drive to be that good
is fueled by money
the money they can make
appearence fees, travel ect.
Take he medals just like they took Johnson's
I even know she was on the juice
its not hard to tell
ok blast me for no physical proof
but you dont have the drop off she did
without something
She made her money
which is why she took it
look people KNOW what they are doing
thats why the "clear" is taken
its hard to detect

but she made her money
thats why she took it

track people have to perform to get paid
aint like they sign a long term deal with a team

yea they sign with sponsors
but that dries up if they dont win and are the best

follow the money
thats what the police are doing at Bruceville-Eddy

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Those comparisons are so far from this thread they hardly deserve comment. We are discussing competitive athletes who may have used banned performance enhancing drugs, not lunatics, questionable politicians or any other detritus you may want to dig up. Discernment? I'm not sure what you mean, but my vote would be to strip any athlete of medals won by illegal means. I also would not want to strip "all" of them because you think they may have used an illegal drug. That's why we have drug testing and legal means of discipline.

So then I guess your vote was that she keep her medals?

You were one of the two?

There is really no way to prove it.

Oh she confessed? She said it was given to her by her former coach and that she had taken it thinking it was flaxseed oil, a nutritional supplement.

Where is the proof in that? And how does she know for certain?

I say, "Prove it, Marion Jones!" She can't.

I can't even prove there is asprin in my supposed asprin. Yet my head aches disappear.

OK, you convinced me. Let her keep her medals. This is clearly the case of a deranged woman. (Mods please change my vote)

And I appologize for looking at those female athletes and seeing any unnatural performance enhancement. :rolleyes:

ronwx5x
10-05-2007, 10:04 AM
So then I guess your vote was that she keep her medals?

You were one of the two?

There is really no way to prove it.

Oh she confessed? She said it was given to her by her former coach and that she had taken it thinking it was flaxseed oil, a nutritional supplement.

Where is the proof in that? And how does she know for certain?

I say, "Prove it, Marion Jones!" She can't.

I can't even prove there is asprin in my supposed asprin. Yet my head aches disappear.

OK, you convinced me. Let her keep her medals. This is clearly the case of a deranged woman. (Mods please change my vote)

And I appologize for looking at those female athletes and seeing any unnatural performance enhancement. :rolleyes:

I can only suppose you failed to read my post because I stated that I thought she should lose the medals. After all, she admitted cheating, and the doubtful statement that she didn't know what she was taking is no defense (and also not believable imho). As far as "looking at those female athletes", I can't follow the logic of drug testing by sight. So you can "discern" who uses illegal substances just by looking? I think not, but that's just my opinion.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I can only suppose you failed to read my post because I stated that I thought she should lose the medals. After all, she admitted cheating, and the doubtful statement that she didn't know what she was taking is no defense (and also not believable imho). As far as "looking at those female athletes", I can't follow the logic of drug testing by sight. So you can "discern" who uses illegal substances just by looking? I think not, but that's just my opinion.

You're right, it's amazing what a good weight instructor will do for you. Here is me before I joined the football team at A&M:

http://a435.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/43/l_3c1a934726c7d7289611bf880d8d8cd2.jpg

and here is me now:

http://photos-719.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v124/127/31/802435719/n802435719_1224791_7331.jpg

I think I've grown a little. (Gained around 15 pounds between pictures)

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 10:17 AM

Everyonce in a while I might miss a teenager or two that are on illegal drugs because they are good at hiding it. But, yes, you can tell when someone is on drugs just by looking. Especially behavior modifying drugs.

But, we so love our sports superstars, we will overlook and stick our head in the sand, eventhough we know by looking that they are artificially enhanced.

And . . . every once in a while I might be wrong in determining that someone artificially whitened their teeth and they really did not.

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 10:42 AM
BBDE, you look very big and much stronger.

I will admit, that I am literally twice as big as I was when I graduated high school.

Perhaps you aren't being honest, but I believe you that you are not on enhancers. You simply do not look artificial. You look well trained.

But, I suppose you could prove me wrong by failing a test.

I guess I just have the upopular view point on this subject.

But, somehow, somewhere, someone observed that there was something unnatural about some of the athletes involved in international competition and they came up with the unpopular notion of drug testing.

I say that they were correct. There were cheaters and they saw it.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-05-2007, 10:51 AM
BBDE, you look very big and much stronger.

I will admit, that I am literally twice as big as I was when I graduated high school.

Perhaps you aren't being honest, but I believe you that you are not on enhancers. You simply do not look artificial. You look well trained.

But, I suppose you could prove me wrong by failing a test.

I guess I just have the upopular view point on this subject.

But, somehow, somewhere, someone observed that there was something unnatural about some of the athletes involved in international competition and they came up with the unpopular notion of drug testing.

I say that they were correct. There were cheaters and they saw it.

In six months my bench max went up 80 pounds, so they've put me to work. I've been tested twice since the beginning of the season, once by the university and once by the NCAA and have came back clean as a whistle both times. I take a couple of over-the-counter supplements, mostly glutamine and arginine and my daily vitamin, but nothing else.

ronwx5x
10-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Everyonce in a while I might miss a teenager or two that are on illegal drugs because they are good at hiding it. But, yes, you can tell when someone is on drugs just by looking. Especially behavior modifying drugs.

But, we so love our sports superstars, we will overlook and stick our head in the sand, eventhough we know by looking that they are artificially enhanced.

And . . . every once in a while I might be wrong in determining that someone artificially whitened their teeth and they really did not.

1. Personally, I would prefer a lab result to anyone's opinion. That's why I believe drug testing is necessary to avoid accusing the innocent.

2. "Stick our heads in the sand"? I fully believe in random drug testing of everyone, not just those who appear to be taking a enhancement. I never said otherwise.

3. Yes, you could be wrong and that's why we need to use testing, not vision. And this thread was never about "teeth whitening".

eagles_victory
10-05-2007, 11:14 AM
a sign of character is how you act when noone is watching

burnet44
10-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
a sign of character is how you act when noone is watching

coach always told us that

"you are who you are when nobody's looking"

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 01:24 PM
1. Personally, I would prefer a lab result to anyone's opinion. That's why I believe drug testing is necessary to avoid accusing the innocent.

2. "Stick our heads in the sand"? I fully believe in random drug testing of everyone, not just those who appear to be taking a enhancement. I never said otherwise.

3. Yes, you could be wrong and that's why we need to use testing, not vision. And this thread was never about "teeth whitening".

Marion Jones was drug tested and that turned out to be wrong. There was nothing wrong with our vision.

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Anybody else besides me remember the East German track and Field athletes from the 70s and 80s?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/01/26/sports/26Heidi.jpg

I remember being a kid and thinking that just is not right.

That was her in 1986, this was her in 2004.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/01/26/sports/26Krause.jpg

Oh by the way she is the one on the left! That is her wife on the right. :eek:

Link to the East German Steroid Article (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/26/sports/othersports/26STER.html?ex=1390453200&en=bc039fed4c6ea23a&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND)

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Anybody else besides me remember the East German track and Field athletes from the 70s and 80s?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/01/26/sports/26Heidi.jpg

I remember being a kid and thinking that just is not right.

That was her in 1986, this was her in 2004.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/01/26/sports/26Krause.jpg

Oh by the way she is the one on the left! That is her wife on the right. :eek:

Link to the East German Steroid Article (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/26/sports/othersports/26STER.html?ex=1390453200&en=bc039fed4c6ea23a&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND)

That is 2 girls???:confused: :eek:

Darren
10-05-2007, 02:03 PM
It seems simple to me.

She cheated she knew she cheated and she admitted to cheating.

So of course she should be stripped of her metals.

pirate4state
10-05-2007, 02:04 PM
That, ummmmmmm person with a moustache and gottee is a woman????? :confused: :confused: :eek: OMG!

Phil C
10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
That, ummmmmmm person with a moustache and gottee is a woman????? :confused: :confused: :eek: OMG!

They're kidding you P4S.

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
They're kidding you P4S.
Read the article.

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 02:20 PM
They're kidding you P4S.

It's no lie PhilC....I read it with my own eyes!!

I cannot even begin to imagine marrying a guy that used to be a girl!!!

YUCKKKKKK!!!!!!

Sorry in advance to any any transvestites or sex change posters we may have on here!!!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Can my picture please be removed from this thread in light of the company that it's keeping?

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Can my picture please be removed from this thread in light of the company that it's keeping?
Now that is funny! ROFL

Ranger Mom
10-05-2007, 03:31 PM

Please Gary NO!!!! We needs SOMETHING that looks good on this page!!!

BILLYFRED0000
10-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Of course and you can take that for almost anything said in this thread:D

Phil C
10-05-2007, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BobcatBenny
[B]Anybody else besides me remember the East German track and Field athletes from the 70s and 80s?

I sometimes wonder about the present day Women's German Soccer Team. I really hope I am wrong to do so.

LH Panther Mom
10-05-2007, 05:07 PM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!

BE POLITICALLY CORRECT TOO!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

AND DON'T FORGET THE STATUE OF LIMITATIONS AND EX POST FACTO LAWS!!

:mad:
Compassion? Are you joking? :doh: :doh:

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2007, 11:33 AM
What a sad thing. :(

Phil C
10-06-2007, 12:12 PM
The whole thing seems wrong. I think she plea dealed to a lesser offense to get off lightly on something else. Probably years from now she will say that she didn't really take drugs but had to plead for a lesser offense.

Mustangpride09
10-06-2007, 12:34 PM

My thoughts exactly.

zebrablue2
10-06-2007, 02:23 PM

well put. agreed.