PDA

View Full Version : Johnston High cancels game; season in jeopardy

Tx Challenge
10-04-2007, 03:45 PM
From the Austin American Statesman

Johnston season may be saved

By Rick Cantu | Thursday, October 4, 2007, 03:02 PM

The football season at Johnston High School might be salvaged.

The Johnston-Manor football game, scheduled tonight at House Park, has been cancelled, the Austin ISD announced today.

A decision on the rest of the season, however, will be made by the district on Monday. Earlier today, the district announced the remainder of the season would be canceled, too, but that changed in the afternoon.

Johnston, winless in 36 straight games, does not have enough players to compete, first-year varsity coach Demo Odems said today. The decision is a “safety issue” because the Rams are being overwhelmed by much bigger team.

“My heart and soul will not let me do that to a child,” Odems said.

No matter what happens Monday, Johnston will continue to have a JV team.

Johnston (0-5) has a total of 30 football players on varsity — 13 are freshmen — and has sustained several injuries throughout the year. The team has only eight seniors.

Within the last two weeks, two Rams have had major knee injuries and another had a bruised lung.

Odems said the Rams will have varsity football back for the 2008-09 season.

Ranger Mom
10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
From the Austin American Statesman

Johnston season may be saved

By Rick Cantu | Thursday, October 4, 2007, 03:02 PM

The football season at Johnston High School might be salvaged.

The Johnston-Manor football game, scheduled tonight at House Park, has been cancelled, the Austin ISD announced today.

A decision on the rest of the season, however, will be made by the district on Monday. Earlier today, the district announced the remainder of the season would be canceled, too, but that changed in the afternoon.

Johnston, winless in 36 straight games, does not have enough players to compete, first-year varsity coach Demo Odems said today. The decision is a “safety issue” because the Rams are being overwhelmed by much bigger team.

“My heart and soul will not let me do that to a child,” Odems said.

No matter what happens Monday, Johnston will continue to have a JV team.

Johnston (0-5) has a total of 30 football players on varsity — 13 are freshmen — and has sustained several injuries throughout the year. The team has only eight seniors.

Within the last two weeks, two Rams have had major knee injuries and another had a bruised lung.

Odems said the Rams will have varsity football back for the 2008-09 season.

How sad!!:( What class are they?? (or did it say and I missed it??)

Tx Challenge
10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
How sad!!:( What class are they?? (or did it say and I missed it??)

4a

LH Panther Mom
10-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Isn't the school in jeopardy of being closed for multiple years of unacceptable performance on TAAS/TAKS?

Tx Challenge
10-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Isn't the school in jeopardy of being closed for multiple years of unacceptable performance on TAAS/TAKS?

I have heard that also. Not sure where I heard it though. I imagine that area of Austin is going to have to merge some schools over time.

Hang Ten
10-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Johnston has had 3 straight academically unacceptable ratings and the TEA is considering shutting down the campus. Considering the school is under 50% untilized, they shoudl shut it down and combine with another (LBJ & Reagan--another under 50% utilized).

What is a real pisser, is that they cancelled only a few hours before gametime! They could not field a F/JV team this week, so they knew well before today that they were considering not playing. Another fine example of how AISD operates. Pray your school does not schedule games with them or ends up in a District with them!

Tx Challenge
10-04-2007, 07:18 PM
"Pray your school does not schedule games with them or ends up in a District with them!"

That is what everyone in the current 18 3A district is saying now. They were originally in this district and at the last minute it was determined they miscalculated their numbers and should actually be a 4A

That is why a lot of the teams in this district have only 9 games instead of 10

HippoBaseball05
10-04-2007, 08:13 PM
They had their shot to be classified as a 3A school during the last realignment.

Of course, the top three of 18-3A could easily win their 4A district in football anyway so it wouldn't have mattered.

:D

JR2004
10-04-2007, 08:18 PM
And this is why AISD is the ABSOLUTE WORST school district among the big city districts (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antone, El Paso) when it comes to athletics. If you don't support your programs, even the bad ones like Johnston, you wind up with what AISD has today which is little to nothing.

lostaussie
10-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Hang Ten
Pray your school does not schedule games with them or ends up in a District with them! i pray for lots of things, but who i have on my football schedule ain't one of them. i would be more apt to pray for the kids who unfortunately have to go to these kind of schools.

LH Panther Mom
10-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
And this is why AISD is the ABSOLUTE WORST school district among the big city districts (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antone, El Paso) when it comes to athletics. If you don't support your programs, even the bad ones like Johnston, you wind up with what AISD has today which is little to nothing.
The academic problems is the MAIN reason I told my husband when we moved that I would NOT live in AISD. Athletics is a perk any where, but the academics at several of the schools are not acceptable in my book.

burnet44
10-05-2007, 12:16 AM
please read the undiscilpined thread
a perfect example here
of an athletic program
and a school district

JR2004
10-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
The academic problems is the MAIN reason I told my husband when we moved that I would NOT live in AISD. Athletics is a perk any where, but the academics at several of the schools are not acceptable in my book.

My aunt is in the process of moving herself and my 3 cousins down to Cedar Park from Lampasas because of a job she took. I believe they're going to go to Leander due to the attendance zone they live in. She said she made darn sure she didn't actually live in Austin so that they wouldn't have to attend an AISD school. That whole district is just clueless.

LH Panther Mom
10-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
My aunt is in the process of moving herself and my 3 cousins down to Cedar Park from Lampasas because of a job she took. I believe they're going to go to Leander due to the attendance zone they live in. She said she made darn sure she didn't actually live in Austin so that they wouldn't have to attend an AISD school. That whole district is just clueless.
I agree!

I remember last school year, maybe February (or could've been October), there was a big meeting about Johnston and their extremely poor performance for the 3rd (or 4th) year in a row. At that time, they were discussing shutting it down. Parents were all in an uproar because they "didn't know". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Uhm, HELLOOOOOO! It's all over the news every single year. Plus, I thought ISD's were required to send "school report cards" each year. :thinking:

Leander/Cedar Park schools should be good, but may be a culture shock at the size for a little while. ;)