PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here remember the Chernobyl Catastrophe?

Old Tiger
10-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Watching a documentary on HBO about it. Very crazy stuff! Said it's nuclear radiation was 600x worse than Hiroshima. Showed the effects of it on the youth today and all the birth defects. None seemed worse, except for the deaths, than a 1 year old that was born with his brain outside of the skull.:( :(

Would anyone care to enlighten me on any other information. It is very intriguing to me.

luvhoops34
10-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Doing another paper for school?:D

Just let your fingers do the surfing and you can find out all the information you need to right on the internet.:D

Ranger Mom
10-04-2007, 08:55 AM
I remember it, but I can't enlighten you on it...I don't remember it THAT much!!

http://www.evvo.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/new/smilie_google.gif

Old Tiger
10-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Doing another paper for school?:D

Just let your fingers do the surfing and you can find out all the information you need to right on the internet.:D If you would read the post and actually notice I am serious about this then you would feel like crap. I want a prospective from someone who was alive and can remember how the news people presented the story and so on. Please get your childish behavior off this thread.

luvhoops34
10-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Gee, I don't know ANYBODY that was personally there, myself. :D

There are some really good sites on the internet. One done by a Russian girl, who was sneaking into the town and taking pictures.

If I remember correctly, we in the US didn't get a whole lot of information out of Russia about Chernobyl.

Ranger Mom
10-04-2007, 09:06 AM

There are some really good sites on the internet. One done by a Russian girl, who was sneaking into the town and taking pictures.

If I remember correctly, we in the US didn't get a whole lot of information out of Russia about Chernobyl.

You could be right. I just googled it myself to see when it happened! It was in April of 1986, I had a newborn baby, so I was preoccupied. I remember hearing about it, but it didn't seem like it was until MUCH later that we learned the ramifications.

I am SO NOT a history buff, so it's not surprising I don't really remember it!

pirate4state
10-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Please get your childish behavior off this thread.

http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif

Now that is funny coming from YOU!!!!!! :kiss:

Old Tiger
10-04-2007, 09:07 AM
For some reason this touches me and I'm really sad about it :(

Possibly because I want to go into Pediatric Nursing. Specifically working with cancer kids.

Ranger Mom
10-04-2007, 09:08 AM

Possibly because I want to go into Pediatric Nursing.

Now you have me intrigued...(Yes Mrs. Tindol, Kellye is reading something historical...ON PURPOSE)....I am reading about it on Wikipedia right now!!

luvhoops34
10-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
You could be right. I just googled it myself to see when it happened! It was in April of 1986, I had a newborn baby, so I was preoccupied. I remember hearing about it, but it didn't seem like it was until MUCH later that we learned the ramifications.

I am SO NOT a history buff, so it's not surprising I don't really remember it!

Yea and I didn't have cable at the time, either. We were in the process of moving to Poth America and I had a young daughter, a bunch of dogs and a herd of horses to contend with.

Since there had never been a nuclear accident of those proportions, nobody really knew exactly what the ramifications would be.

pirate4state

Possibly because I want to go into Pediatric Nursing. Specifically working with cancer kids.

Then you should really do some research on it. I'm sure there are books about it out there somewhere. Books are your friend. :)

Old Tiger
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Now you have me intrigued...(Yes Mrs. Tindol, Kellye is reading something historical...ON PURPOSE)....I am reading about it on Wikipedia right now!! You should look up some images. Words aren't enough to explain it. The ramifications are very very sad.

Old Tiger
10-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Also toward the end they showed an American doctor who was performing procedures on them and he was tearing up because he said something to this extent:

"I'm just doing my job, it's what I do, but every day you have these people come and praise you like your a miracle man. I can't take it sometimes because it's a normal thing for me to do but for them it's a miracle."

Maroon87
10-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Watching a documentary on HBO about it. Very crazy stuff! Said it's nuclear radiation was 600x worse than Hiroshima. Showed the effects of it on the youth today and all the birth defects. None seemed worse, except for the deaths, than a 1 year old that was born with his brain outside of the skull.:( :(

Would anyone care to enlighten me on any other information. It is very intriguing to me.

I was in HS when it happened...

rangerjoe33
10-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Greenpeace said in a new report that more than 90,000 people were likely to die of cancers caused by radiation from the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, countering a United Nations report that predicted the death toll would be around 4,000.

STANG RED
10-04-2007, 09:57 AM
I remember it going on, and it being a very big deal at the time.

Another non-human tragedy that came out if it, and the 3 mile island incident was the almost complete hault it put on future develpment of new nuclear power plants, that are still being felt today. There hasnt been a permit issued for the constuction of any new nuclear power plants in something like 25 years, eventhough their have been lots of re-engineering to build safeguards in that would prevent any reoccurance of what happened at Chernobyl or 3 Mile Island.

STANG RED
10-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
Greenpeace said in a new report that more than 90,000 people were likely to die of cancers caused by radiation from the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, countering a United Nations report that predicted the death toll would be around 4,000.

Since both of those sources are about as unrealiable as you will find, I would guess it's probably somewhere between those two numbers.

BobcatBenny
10-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Blue,
I remember all the news around it at the time, but the Soviet Union had not collapsed, and the news was sketchy. You knew it was big because normally you would not have even heard stories of accidents out of the USSR.

Benny

rundoe
10-04-2007, 11:51 AM

Actually NO ONE got any information. Remember this was the USSR at the time and info was hard to come by.

The radioactive cloud floated all over europe. The area is still unsafe today.

The clean up is still in progress and the poor people that were shipped in to clean then and now are still developing side effects from the radiation.

Projected 1000 years before it can actually be safe for habitate. But even then only of done correctly.

rundoe
10-04-2007, 11:55 AM

I'll do some info gathering for you.

sinton66
10-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Try this:

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/chernobyl/inf07.htm

Emerson1
10-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I read about it during the summer one day, it is some crazy stuff. I think I watched the same documentary online.

rundoe
10-04-2007, 01:41 PM
start here thern watch more of the videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHgfA1WRdrc

Emerson1
10-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by rundoe

The clean up is still in progress and the poor people that were shipped in to clean then and now are still developing side effects from the radiation.

The people who had to go in and put out the fires and stuff died within a few weeks

westtxfballfan
10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
There is avery good episode of Zero Hour on the Discovery Channel on this, too, if you can find when it comes on again. Zero Hour follows the events leading up to it and the cause more so than the effects afterward. here's the link to the episode synopsis.

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/zerohour/series1/chernobyl/index.shtml