PDA

View Full Version : hs football and the national anthem

DU_stud04
10-03-2007, 11:55 AM
its friday night, you're at the game, both teams fans arrive and the stadium is packed, the announcer gets your attention to the flag on the north side of the stadium and the band plays the national anthem.....but the teams arent on the field.......

i always thought both teams ran through their signs first and then the playing of the national anthem and then the coin toss with everyone on the sidelines...... but lately ive seen teams not even come out till about 2 minutes till kickoff after the anthem is played....then dont run through the sign till after the coin is tossed..... looks really strange when the other team comes out for the anthem and the other doesnt.

idk, it looks really cheesy to me when the team doesnt come till 7:29 for a 7:30 kickoff.

what are yalls opinions?

what is the order your team does?

ie, national anthem, coin toss, run through sign

or run through sign, national anthem, coin toss.

crzyjournalist03
10-03-2007, 11:57 AM
IMO, the players should be REQUIRED to be on the field for the national anthem.

Johnny 5
10-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Warmup, school songs, National Anthem, coin toss, run through

The players are on the field until the coin toss where they are getting the last pep talk before the game

DU_stud04
10-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
IMO, the players should be REQUIRED to be on the field for the national anthem. i think the same.

1st and goal
10-03-2007, 12:03 PM
This happened in Wimberly when Giddings was there. I thought it was very poor taste. I know Giddings prefers to be on the field when the anthem is played so, Who makes the decision to do it out of sequence?

leecofans
10-03-2007, 01:07 PM
IMO, the players should be REQUIRED to be on the field for the national anthem.

I totally agree!:clap:

On this same subject, it REALLY bothers me when the teams are both on the field and then start pounding the shoulder pads of the guy in front of them so that the knocking sound drowns out the last part of the anthem. I know the guys are getting pumped up, but IMO they should at least appear to have respect for our flag and country...

KTA
10-03-2007, 01:14 PM
it dont bother me, I kinda like the sound (makes me think of a military drum at the end of it).

Either way its better then hearing the Jimmy Hendrix version :foul:

piratebg
10-03-2007, 01:20 PM
At our stadium, the National Anthem is not played until both teams are on the field.

CenTexSports
10-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Every school does it the way the AD, the game administrator, or head coach prefers. When we get to the game at about 5:30, there is usually a typed schedule for the pre game waiting for us in the locker room. If there is not one, the referee discusses it with the head coach during their pre game meeting. The referee will then let the visiting coach know what the schedule is.

buff4life
10-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
This happened in Wimberly when Giddings was there. I thought it was very poor taste. I know Giddings prefers to be on the field when the anthem is played so, Who makes the decision to do it out of sequence?

We always go Run through, coin toss, national anthem....

but in Wimberley i think they played the national anthem at like 7:10

pirate4state
10-03-2007, 01:34 PM
IMO, the players should be REQUIRED to be on the field for the national anthem. Agreed

rundoe
10-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
its friday night, you're at the game, both teams fans arrive and the stadium is packed, the announcer gets your attention to the flag on the north side of the stadium and the band plays the national anthem.....but the teams arent on the field.......

i always thought both teams ran through their signs first and then the playing of the national anthem and then the coin toss with everyone on the sidelines...... but lately ive seen teams not even come out till about 2 minutes till kickoff after the anthem is played....then dont run through the sign till after the coin is tossed..... looks really strange when the other team comes out for the anthem and the other doesnt.

idk, it looks really cheesy to me when the team doesnt come till 7:29 for a 7:30 kickoff.

what are yalls opinions?

what is the order your team does?

ie, national anthem, coin toss, run through sign

or run through sign, national anthem, coin toss.

I saw this exact same thing last year. It bugged me then too. I won't mention the team that did it.

PlayaJBiehl20
10-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I think both teams should be on the field.

gtownfan
10-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Funniest thing I saw was at a 2A playoff game in Austin last year (Lexington and ????). The announcer asked everyone to stand and face the flag for the national anthem. My sister was standing next too me and about half way through the anthem, leaned over an asked me if it's her eyes or is the really no flag there? Yup, one of the teams forgot to bring the flag! It showed up midway through the 2nd quarter!

44INAROW
10-03-2007, 02:52 PM
National Anthem sung by a 7 year old (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/7-year-old-sings-national-anthem/40945200)

eagles_victory
10-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by leecofans

On this same subject, it REALLY bothers me when the teams are both on the field and then start pounding the shoulder pads of the guy in front of them so that the knocking sound drowns out the last part of the anthem. I know the guys are getting pumped up, but IMO they should at least appear to have respect for our flag and country... Coach goes nuts everytime hes at a game and the team starts doing this

Emerson1
10-03-2007, 03:46 PM

On this same subject, it REALLY bothers me when the teams are both on the field and then start pounding the shoulder pads of the guy in front of them so that the knocking sound drowns out the last part of the anthem. I know the guys are getting pumped up, but IMO they should at least appear to have respect for our flag and country...
I don't see how that is any different then people starting to cheer, I don't think I have ever clearly heard the last few lines of the national anthem at a football game or any other loud event.

It all depends on the stadium schedule, here both teams are on the field when the national anthem in sung. The captains come out about a minute earlier then the team and do the coin toss, then run back behind the sign and run out.

pirate4state
10-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
National Anthem sung by a 7 year old (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/7-year-old-sings-national-anthem/40945200)

WOW :clap: that gave me goose bumps!!

necks_c/09
10-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Warm up, Run through sign, School songs, National Anthem, Coin toss

I think

Bull19
10-03-2007, 04:01 PM

I COULDNT AGREE MORE....I PERSONALLY THINK ITS CORNY, STUPID, DISRESPECTFUL, AND MANY OTHER THINGS WHEN PLAYERS BANG ON THEIR SHOULDER PADS DURING THE ANTHEM.

necks_c/09
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
I COULDNT AGREE MORE....I PERSONALLY THINK ITS CORNY, STUPID, DISRESPECTFUL, AND MANY OTHER THINGS WHEN PLAYERS BANG ON THEIR SHOULDER PADS DURING THE ANTHEM. I'm pretty sure that teams wait until the national anthem is over to to do that, and they're just pumping each other up. Relax a little. If you want to rag on somebody, pick some guy in the satnds who doesnt take his hat off, or there are always people who refuse to stand. These kids are just getting ready to play football, cut em some slack.

As far as the respect part goes, maybe that time that the national anthem is being played and everybody is being quiet with their hand on their heart has a little something to do with it, but i dont guess thats showing any respect huh?

leecofans
10-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't see how that is any different then people starting to cheer, I don't think I have ever clearly heard the last few lines of the national anthem at a football game or any other loud event.

When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music.
- Flag Etiquette
http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

I don't agree with people cheering either, until after the last note is sung. I guess I'm old fashioned...:D

leecofans
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
I'm pretty sure that teams wait until the national anthem is over to to do that, and they're just pumping each other up. Relax a little. If you want to rag on somebody, pick some guy in the satnds who doesnt take his hat off, or there are always people who refuse to stand. These kids are just getting ready to play football, cut em some slack.

As far as the respect part goes, maybe that time that the national anthem is being played and everybody is being quiet with their hand on their heart has a little something to do with it, but i dont guess thats showing any respect huh?

I was at a game 3 weeks ago where we were sitting on the visitor's side and the opposing team starting the "pounding" well before the end of the song. This isn't the first time I've seen that either. I'm not pointing fingers because I've also seen teams that I support do the same thing - I still think it's disrespectful. Also, how many young adults and/or kids do you see actually placing their hands over their hearts? I'm not trying to be sarcastic - just curious. I really don't see that many - in fact, sometimes I have to remind hubby to take his own hat off...:doh:

STANG RED
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
I guess we should be thankful that it's still played at all.
Wonder how long before they ban it like they have the pre game prayer? :(

pirate4state
10-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I guess we should be thankful that it's still played at all.
Wonder how long before they ban it like they have the pre game prayer? :(

:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG that is crazy talk!!!

I love hearing the National Anthem played. I sing awful, but I sing that song (not very loudly - I don't want to hurt anyone :D ) and it burns me up when people are talking during the song and/or kids running around unattended. Poor, poor behavior! :dispntd:

Bull19
10-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
I'm pretty sure that teams wait until the national anthem is over to to do that, and they're just pumping each other up. Relax a little. If you want to rag on somebody, pick some guy in the satnds who doesnt take his hat off, or there are always people who refuse to stand. These kids are just getting ready to play football, cut em some slack.

THE ONES IVE SEEN DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE SONG IS OVER. IF THEY WANNA GET PUMPED UP, WAIT UNTIL THE SONG IS OVER THAN THEY CAN HIT EACH OTHER AS MUCH AS THEY WANT.

buff4life
10-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

It all depends on the stadium schedule, here both teams are on the field when the national anthem in sung. The captains come out about a minute earlier then the team and do the coin toss, then run back behind the sign and run out.

For the last two or three years i've noticed at the Red River Rivalry that when the song comes to..."and the home of the"...instead of saying brave the entire Sooner crowd yells Sooners....

now THAT is disrespectul, not high school kids slapping the shoulder pad in front of them, its not like they're jumping around during it, they are still standing honoring the flag

crzyjournalist03
10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
At Stars hockey games, the fans always yell "Stars" both times it's in the national anthem...I've never found that disrespectful, but then again, changing the words is completely different.

necks_c/09
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I was at a game 3 weeks ago where we were sitting on the visitor's side and the opposing team starting the "pounding" well before the end of the song. This isn't the first time I've seen that either. I'm not pointing fingers because I've also seen teams that I support do the same thing - I still think it's disrespectful. Also, how many young adults and/or kids do you see actually placing their hands over their hearts? I'm not trying to be sarcastic - just curious. I really don't see that many - in fact, sometimes I have to remind hubby to take his own hat off...:doh: Well, not all teams do it, but some do. The anthem is winding down and they pound their teammate's pads, they don't mean any disrespect by it.

Btw, i'm 17 and i stand proud at the games with my hat off and my hand on my heart.

And it bothers me that other kids my age are ignorant and have no respect but these kids are just football players and mean nothing by it.

"It makes me want to puke" when i see grown men and women socializing, sitting, or just standing there.

Even if you couldn't care less about this country, you could just stand there for about a whole 20 seconds and respect our country and the people who serve it so the other people around you would not be offended.

But this is just mho.

Sweetwater Red
10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG that is crazy talk!!!

I love hearing the National Anthem played. I sing awful, but I sing that song (not very loudly - I don't want to hurt anyone :D ) and it burns me up when people are talking during the song and/or kids running around unattended. Poor, poor behavior! :dispntd:

LOL.

I just move my lips to the words.

That's the good thing about playing at neutral sites. When both
teams fans have to travel most kids are left at home. I mean
the ones under 12.

c-town_balla
10-03-2007, 05:24 PM
when we played Liberty Hill last year it was Verterans Day weekend (i think) and they sang the whole and I mean WHOLE anthem all three verses before we ran out the LH players were just as confused as us....they sang a verse came to a stop so we were gettin pumped again and she started singing some more....weird

whtfbplaya
10-03-2007, 08:52 PM
at 95% of our games the coin toss is done 30 min before and redone before the start of the game for the fans