PDA

View Full Version : Fashion???

LH Panther Mom
10-02-2007, 10:07 PM
More fashion sense…
By Laura Heinauer | Monday, October 1, 2007, 02:34 PM

Today, we heard from the mother of a Bailey Middle School Student who was sent home from school last week for wearing a $75 T-shirt with the words “Juicy Angel” written across the front.

Ronda Gray, the mother, says school officials were out of line in deeming the shirt, part of the upscale Juicy Couture clothing line, inappropriate.

“In my opinion, the word ‘Juicy’ means sweet and nothing more,” she said. “I mean, this is a brand made for toddlers, too.”

Apparently, school officials thought a little differently. A district spokeswoman said the principal was worried that the placement of the word “Juicy” on the front of her shirt might attracted unwanted comments. That decision was reviewed and reaffirmed by district administrators, the spokeswoman said.

Tell us, what’s your take on this? Was this student just being stylish or was the shirt too suggestive?

link (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/education/entries/2007/10/01/more_fashion_sense.html)

I saw this earlier today and it's about to be on the news. Thoughts?

GoStafford
10-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Not sent home, but should of been required to call home to change clothes.

I sent a kid to change clothes the other day who wore a shirt that said "you suck"

Snyder_TigerFan
10-02-2007, 10:15 PM
IMO....the parent is not sharpest tool in the shed for spending $75 dollars on a t-shirt, much less one that says "Juicy Angel".:rolleyes:

bulldogbark
10-02-2007, 10:21 PM
would that be the same as a student wearing something written across their bottom......kinda have to read their butt to see whats written.....I told my daughter I would put a hurten on her bottom if she ever went out like that :mad:

thewyliefan
10-02-2007, 11:18 PM
yea you see girls all the time in schools that have sayings on shorty shorts, and if you ask me the sayings on those at times are worse.

3afan
10-03-2007, 05:53 AM
parent should be grounded for paying $75 for a t-shirt .... but I guess if you got it .....

Old Tiger
10-03-2007, 05:55 AM
I wore shirts that said "Kappa Tappa Kegga" "Graberbootie & Pinch" and other silly saying shirts and never got in trouble when I was in high school.

People just need to quit being so anal.

sinton66
10-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Our society in general would be a lot better off if ALL officials would be MORE "anal" about public displays of sexuality, especially among school age children. IMO, schools are NOT the place to make "fashion" statements. That's not their purpose.

3afan
10-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
... "Kappa Tappa Kegga" "Graberbootie & Pinch" ...

I believe those are inappropriate for school .... just my opinion

hookandladder
10-03-2007, 07:16 AM
You would think parents would be more aware and smarter than of what their kid wears to school but it is not only about what they are wearing, Parents are also the main problem when it comes to playing sports. If the parents would let the coaches do their job and not baby their kid, the kid would be way better off. Parents lack of knowledge( Igorance) is the main downfall of are entire school system. Let the Teachers and Coaches do their job.

luvhoops34
10-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
More fashion sense…

Today, we heard from the mother of a Bailey Middle School Student who was sent home from school last week for wearing a $75 T-shirt with the words “Juicy Angel” written across the front.

Ronda Gray, the mother, says school officials were out of line in deeming the shirt, part of the upscale Juicy Couture clothing line, inappropriate.

“In my opinion, the word ‘Juicy’ means sweet and nothing more,” she said. “I mean, this is a brand made for toddlers, too.”

Apparently, school officials thought a little differently. A district spokeswoman said the principal was worried that the placement of the word “Juicy” on the front of her shirt might attracted unwanted comments. That decision was reviewed and reaffirmed by district administrators, the spokeswoman said.

Tell us, what’s your take on this? Was this student just being stylish or was the shirt too suggestive?

link (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/education/entries/2007/10/01/more_fashion_sense.html)

Sounds like the parent bought the t-shirt and didn't have a clue about it's meaning. Middle school is hell on earth as far as I'm concerned. If the schools were as picky about what high schools studens wore then we'd all be better off. I got called to the jr high numerous times and was told on one occasion by a teacher, that my daughter could not wear the same clothes as the other girls because she was too developed.......:eek: Even though they met the dress code. No backless shoes were allowed, etc, etc, etc It was CRAZY.

And before you jump on me, I made sure she was dressed appropriately everyday. Including checking her backpack for contraband clothes to change into at school.

And yes, if I had the $$$, she probably would have had a $75 tshirt. Just not that one! But I didn't, so it was a non issue. And we're talking about Austin here people. Lots of ppl with lots of $$$$. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.;)

After raising a daughter, I feel all middle schools should require uniforms. That way there is no jealousy about who has what brand of clothing. No one gets made fun of, because they all have the same stuff. I will say again, middle school is hell.

The best thing the parent can do is suck it up and just let the kid wear the t-shirt at home, and be a little more careful about buying school clothes.;)

piratebg
10-03-2007, 08:31 AM
I used to have t tshirt called "The Ultimate Cheat Shirt". It had some really useful facts and equations on it. They never made me take that one off. It actually kind of came on handy once or twice.

44INAROW
10-03-2007, 08:41 AM
CISD changed the dresscode a couple of years ago (RE: T Shirts) the only T shirts that can be worn are "approved" spirit shirts.. or solid colors. Bunch of folks were in an uproar - but after the dust settled, it turned out to be a good thing - and we have alot of school spirit too. When my oldest was in school (he graduated in 94) the big thing were the "Big Johnson" T shirts - OMG - they were "creative" to say the least. He wore one to class - (MY mothers AP Engligh Class to be exact) and his shirt said "Stand back baby, I don't know how big it's gonna get" BIG JOHNSON below it... OMG - she was not impressed........

UPanIN
10-03-2007, 08:41 AM
I saw a young lady wearing a t-shirt that said "Fresh Fruit" one time.

My first thoughts were not of apples and I wondered if she even knew what people were thinking when they first saw it.

Parents should think about how the child will be perceived when they are purchasing clothing.

$75 for a t-shirt... there should be a law for "stupid".

rangerjim
10-03-2007, 09:03 AM
luv hoops - when did you start cussing in your posts? It's a t-shirt not a t-sh*t. Man could I possibly be moderator material????????

44INAROW
10-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by rangerjim
luv hoops - when did you start cussing in your posts? It's a t-shirt not a t-sh*t. Man could I possibly be moderator material????????

lol great typo :D
I've done that before.......:doh:

luvhoops34
10-03-2007, 09:10 AM

PM ME NEXT TIME OK:D

It was a TYPO!

And luckily, the 15 min rule didn't have time to go into effect or I couldn't have fixed it.:eek:

burnet44
10-03-2007, 09:41 AM

your toast
lol

luvhoops34
10-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
your toast
lol

If I'm toast, then you're burnt to a crisp on both sides....http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif

burnet44
10-03-2007, 09:46 AM
More fashion sense…

this is why we should all have uniforms
im sure ill get blasted for that
people cant discipline themselves
schools have better things to do than deal with this piddly crap
uniforms then we can spend more time teaching the TAKS test so Junior/Juniorette can graduate
IF people could discipline themselves better ie raise their kids
but many cant
every year we have some story like this make the paper
enough

dress like u want at home

ok fire away I know you will

luvhoops34
10-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
this is why we should all have uniforms
im sure ill get blasted for that
people cant discipline themselves
schools have better things to do than deal with this piddly crap
uniforms then we can spend more time teaching the TAKS test so Junior/Juniorette can graduate
IF people could discipline themselves better ie raise their kids
but many cant
every year we have some story like this make the paper
enough

dress like u want at home

ok fire away I know you will

I already said I thought middle schools should have uniforms. And if hs teachers are having to spend their time enforcing the dress code at their school, then they need uniforms, too. :cool:

BobcatBenny
10-03-2007, 10:07 AM
This should be the official Texas uniform for guys.

This is my nomination.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KC42VT6PL._AA280_.jpg

And I will withhold my Texas uniform for gals. :D

rangerjim
10-03-2007, 10:08 AM
luhoops, I don't even know what a pm is or how to do it. That's what happens when your old. Once I learn what a pm is then maybe you can help me with my cell phone............oh yea - the clock on my microwave keeps blinking 12:00 - need help with that too!

Back to the t-shirt thing. My daughter who is a sophmore wore a shirt that had HATE in big letters and love in small for her school picture. I refused to buy her school picture cuz of that - made her mad of course. The whole world is gay to a 15 year old anyway.......especially her softball coaches.

Ranger Mom
10-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
I already said I thought middle schools should have uniforms. And if hs teachers are having to spend their time enforcing the dress code at their school, then they need uniforms, too. :cool:

I agree!! I think all the Midland middle schools are in uniform now...Greenwood still hasn't progressed that far.

I know here, if someone wears a shirt and can't go home to change...they have the choice of wearing the shirt inside out or wearing one of the "lovely" ones the school will provide for them. Needless to say, most students just turn theirs inside out!!

luvhoops34
10-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Poor baby, you are pm impaired....http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/cow.gif

I would pm you and tell you how to send one....but...oh well...:D

Ranger Mom
10-03-2007, 10:14 AM
lThe whole world is gay to a 15 year old anyway.......especially her softball coaches.

LOL!! :D :D :D :D

pirate4state
10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
uniforms would make everyone lives that much easier. your kids already hate you, might as well add something else to the list. :D

BobcatBenny
10-03-2007, 10:23 AM
How about this uniform for the ladies?

http://www.ltmparty.com/images/products/LEG/large/8048.jpg

BobcatBenny
10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
This is what happens when you try to put school uniforms on everyone!

Food for thought.

http://fricknits.typepad.com/Angus.jpeg

luvhoops34
10-03-2007, 10:43 AM
luhoops, I don't even know what a pm is or how to do it. That's what happens when your old. Once I learn what a pm is then maybe you can help me with my cell phone............oh yea - the clock on my microwave keeps blinking 12:00 - need help with that too!

Back to the t-shirt thing. My daughter who is a sophmore wore a shirt that had HATE in big letters and love in small for her school picture. I refused to buy her school picture cuz of that - made her mad of course. The whole world is gay to a 15 year old anyway.......especially her softball coaches.

dude, go to "usercp" at the top of the page. Then click on "edit options" from there you need to click "yes" to receiving pm's.

Then you can send and receive. hope this helps.

ronwx5x
10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
I wore shirts that said "Kappa Tappa Kegga" "Graberbootie & Pinch" and other silly saying shirts and never got in trouble when I was in high school.

No wonder it is necessary to have a rule regulating t-shirts.

luvhoops34
10-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
uniforms would make everyone lives that much easier. your kids already hate you, might as well add something else to the list. :D

Isn't that the truth!:eek: Mine used to walk about 10 steps behind me, so nobody would know that I was her mother.:(

rundoe
10-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
This should be the official Texas uniform for guys.

This is my nomination.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KC42VT6PL._AA280_.jpg

And I will withhold my Texas uniform for gals. :D

Then I would not have to wear one.:D

rundoe
10-03-2007, 12:58 PM
The Liberty Hill dress code is essencially the same one I had in High School, many many moons ago.

We fought hard to get the hair code changed, but they didn't change till the year AFTER I graduated. ggrrrrrrr

Anyway, Now as an adult and parent, I see things differently, of course, dress codes certainly have a place in the school. I just wish if they are going to have them they would enforce them justly. They don't. Some kids get way with a lot more than others.

Personally my feeling is hair length (on boys) is the least of our worries. I have two sons and worry lots more about drugs and alcohol in schools than the dress code.

At school, they should to dress to code. We had to.

I did notice that my sons would grow thier hair out during summer, but once two-a-days started. They were begging for hair cuts,because it got so hot in the helmets. So it solved itself. My only rule is no tatoos or body piercings.

Now as for girls girls, I'll leave that up to the comments that you parents with girls have already said. All boys in my home, and have not seen any of them that has a shirt on that says Juicy, lol. If I did, I'd start to worry.

txkmom
10-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Had a 6th grader in my class today with an "I know you want me" shirt on. Nobody seems to think it's a big deal but me. I guess too many people are so used to the suggestive nature in almost everything out there that this pales in comparison. I remember when Hooters shirts were a big nasty.

AP Panther Fan
10-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Absolutely!!!!

We (APISD) have uniforms for grades K-12...it was probably the smartest thing our school has ever done (and I mean ever). All we have to worry about is what color and how many buttons a polo shirt has (and only my daughters worry about how many buttons).:)

Oh...and the "juicy angel" shirt
:rolleyes:

Good grief, that mother needs to wear one that says juicy FRUIT on the front.

rundoe
10-03-2007, 01:15 PM
It's a degeneration in our total society. Kids are exposed to much more at younger ages than they were when I was a kid.
You can blame, parents (but they can't watch thier kids ALL the time), TV, video games, movies, schools, and just about anything else you can imagine.
The times we live in.

Snydertigersrul
10-03-2007, 01:21 PM
More fashion sense…

GOOD POINT THAT EVERY SCHOOL SHOULD REQUIRE UNIFORMS FOR STUDENTS

44INAROW
10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
and uniforms don't have to be "nerdy" - they can be as simple as navy blue or khaki pants and a solid color shirt - and those that complain that "uniforms" are more expensive are just looking for a way "out".. if you want to "express yourself" do it on your own time - not the taxpayers!

(dang, I sound like my mother now)

Maroon87
10-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
GOOD POINT THAT EVERY SCHOOL SHOULD REQUIRE UNIFORMS FOR STUDENTS

They should also require that common sense be used by the administration. Some of this stuff gets left open to too much interpretation and gets totally out of hand.

AP Panther Fan
10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
and uniforms don't have to be "nerdy" - they can be as simple as navy blue or khaki pants and a solid color shirt - and those that complain that "uniforms" are more expensive are just looking for a way "out".. if you want to "express yourself" do it on your own time - not the taxpayers!

(dang, I sound like my mother now)

Uniforms are not more expensive...in fact, they end up costing far less. That excuse won't fly.:doh:

carter08
10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I dressed up as an indian today and didn't get in trouble.

Of course, it was for theatre, but still...

Old Tiger
10-03-2007, 02:58 PM
WHY CAN'T KIDS JUST BE KIDS ANYMORE!

ronwx5x
10-03-2007, 03:09 PM

WHY CAN'T KIDS JUST BE KIDS ANYMORE!

Could this type of reasoning be why uniforms may be a good idea?

Old Tiger
10-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Could this type of reasoning be why uniforms may be a good idea? Only if Will Smith can be there.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c8/Freshprincelogo.jpg/250px-Freshprincelogo.jpg