PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel Vs Zapata Hawks 10/5/07

footballgal
10-02-2007, 09:32 AM
This will be Homcoming week, due to the fact that last week's game was cancelled. I hope it won't be too much of a distraction for the Tarpons. I am wondering also if they will come out a little rusty.

My pick of course is for my Tarpons 35-7

Fal44
10-02-2007, 09:41 AM
ill go with tarpons on this one.

Johnny 5
10-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Fal44

+1

44INAROW
10-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Fal44
+2

ToroChingon
10-02-2007, 10:03 AM
IGUALMENTE!

44INAROW
10-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by ToroChingon
IGUALMENTE!

trying to remember my Spanish II from 1974 lol.. does that mean "likewise" or "me too"

footballgal
10-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Well let's see, igual means the same, so I am going to say it means likewise. :)

BTW, any Ingleside fans that can give us some insight on Zapata? Too bad Izzy from Zapata, hasn't been on here for a while.

footballgal
10-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Final Tune-Up
Port Isabel faces Zapata in Class 3A non-district affair
BY JARRET JOHNSON, The Brownsville Herald
http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1191559334-pivsvalleyviewfbcopy.jpg
Port Isabel linebacker Osiel Perales flips Valley View running back Miguel Mata (7) in their non-district affair on Sept. 21 at Tarpon Stadium.
G. Daniel Lopez/The Brownsville Herald

Oct 4, 2007 11:38 pm
The Port Isabel Tarpons and Zapata Hawks are at the crossroads of their 2007football season.

With tough district schedules on the horizon, the two teams face off in The Herald’s Game of the Week at 7:30 tonight at Tarpon Stadium.

Both PI and Zapata have played against some of the best programs in South Texas. Port Isabel (2-2 overall) scrimmaged Los Fresnos and went toe-to-toe with Edcouch-Elsa to open the season before falling 41-33.

Zapata (2-3) recently lost 20-7 to Ingleside who received six votes in the AP Top 10 poll, but played closer than the score, giving the game away on a pair of interceptions (one returned for six and the other killed a drive inside the Ingleside ten yard line).

Both the Tarpons and the Hawks dropped nail biters to Corpus Christi West Oso earlier this season. The Tarpons are led by one of the most explosive offensive weapons in the Rio Grande Valley in running back Nolan Nuñez (551 yards, six scores, 137.8 yards per game). Whether it be from out of the backfield or as a return man, Nuñez is always a threat to take it to the house.

“He may get four or five yards a carry for awhile and then on his tenth carry, bang! He’s gone for 80 yards,” Tarpon coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “I am proud of the way he’s progressed. The boy has really grown up, and the light has come on for him.”

Nuñez is no one man show though. He is surrounded by talent in the backfield, especially by RB/FB Di-ego Garcia and QB David Alaniz.

Garcia is a tough inside runner (115 yards, four TDs) and a good receiver out of the backfield (108 yards receiving, one TD). Alaniz has done a good job of running the offense by passing for 387 yards, 2 TDs and 69 more on the ground, 3 TDs.

While stopping all of the Tarpons weapons is the Hawk’s goal, they know that it all begins with Nuñez.

“I don’t know if we’re going to be able to stop him (Nuñez), but we hope to contain him,” Zapata coach Mario Arce said. “He has a lot of speed, and he tore us up last year.”

Zapata features a huge offensive line that is led by tackle Gilbert Garza (6-foot-5, 320 pounds), Emanuel Lopez (6-3, 280) and Diego Ramirez (6-1, 245). They’re offense took a big hit last week when it lost their primary weapon in RB David Solis to a torn ACL.

The Hawks still have two weapons in RB Robert Duran (367 yards rushing, 6 TDs) and QB Juan Gu-tierrez (286 yards passing, 2 TDs and 268 rushing, TD).

“They’re big and have a good football team,” Stumbaugh said. “They run a lot of leads, counters and bootlegs. It will be a tough challenge. We’re going to have to use our quickness and play good technique on defense.”

The Tarpon defense is coming off a shutout performance against Valley View, in which they held the second-year program to 74 total yards. While Zapata allows 24 yards less a game than PI, the Tarpon defense is beginning to emerge behind their leader and middle linebacker Osiel Perales.

The winner of tonight’s matchup will have momentum and confidence heading into league play, while the loser will be circling the wagons hoping to get back on track.

“If we could beat or even stay with Port Isabel, then it would be a huge confidence booster for us head-ing into district,” Arce said. “They’re known throughout South and Central Texas, that’s why we schedule teams like West Oso, Ingleside and Port Isabel; to get better for district. It’s not how you start, but how you finish.”
http://www.rgvsports.com/sports/yards_630___article.xml/zapata_nuñez.html

footballgal
10-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Tarpons ride the Nolan Express!!

Port Isabel 36 Zapata 7 Final

Nolan Nunez ran for 5 TDs and had close to or over 300 yards.

Guess who will be my region iv nominations? :D With his numbers this week, I might just finally get to vote for him.

pirate4state
10-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Tarpons ride the Nolan Express!!

Port Isabel 36 Zapata 7 Final

Nolan Nunez ran for 5 TDs and had close to or over 300 yards.

Guess who will be my region iv nominations? :D With his numbers this week, I might just finally get to vote for him.

You were only off a pt in your prediction!! :thumbsup: congrats to the Tarpons!

footballgal
10-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Oh yeah!! it we have been right on, if we don't go for the 2 instead of the x point.:)

footballgal
10-06-2007, 12:50 AM
http://www.team4news.com/Global/category.asp?C=5476&nav=menu90_5

click on PI vs Zapata

other 3A teams also

footballgal
10-06-2007, 01:36 AM
King Nolan
BY JARRET JOHNSON, The Brownsville Herald

Oct 6, 2007 12:21 am
http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1191648220-pifootball.jpg
Port Isabel’s Nolan Nuñez had five touchdowns in the Tarpons’ 36-7 victory over Zapata on Friday at Tarpon Stadium.
G. Daniel López, The Brownsville Herald

It’s good to be the king.

On his way to picking up Homecoming King honors at halftime, Port Isabel Tarpon running back Nolan Nuñez rushed for 214 yards and four touchdown. He would finish with 274 yards and five scores on the ground (292 total from the line of scrimmage) to lead Port Isabel (3-2) to a 36-7 win over Zapata in The Herald’s Game of the Week.

“He had a real good game, and he’s a real good football player,” Zapata head coach Mario Arce said. “He followed some great blocks, and we just couldn’t keep up with his speed.”

Nuñez’s performance only tells half the story in PI’s 36-7 rout of Zapata (2-4) Friday night at Tarpon Stadium.

“It all starts off with the (offensive) lineman, they came out here and did their job,” Nuñez said. “But our defense came out and played hard and did what they wanted to do.”

Port Isabel’s “Seawall” defense was out in full force as they sacked Hawk quarterback Juan Gutierrez five times and pressured him into throwing three interceptions (Erick Woods, James Delgado and Dustin Maddox each picked off Gutierrez each).

Linebackers Osiel Perales and Nick LeBlanc laid the wood to several Zapata ball carriers while five different Tarpons picked up sacks in holding the Hawks to 203 total yards and nine first downs.

Zapata’s lone touchdown came on a beautiful 53-yard strike from Gutierrez (5-18, 101 passing yards, 3 INTs) to Noel Garcia (2 catches, 90 yards).

“The defense came to play, but I’m not happy with the long touchdown pass,” Tarpon coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “We talked all week about stepping up on defense, and that that’s what you have to do to win. This is the way we like to play defense.”

The final score could have been worse as Tarpon QB David Alaniz had one long touchdown pass called back because of a holding penalty and a second long toss was also brought back that would have set-up Port Isabel with first and goal inside the Hawks five. Alaniz would settle on 56 yards passing to four different receivers.

Diego Garcia chipped in for the Tarpons with 40 yards on the ground on 6 carries.

Robert Duran rushed for 77 yards on 11 carries and Angel Ramirez added 21 rushing yards for the Hawks.

The Hawk defense forced three Port Isabel turnovers, including one interception by Meliton Trejo but could not contain Nuñez.

“Nolan did a good job but, of course, our O-line did a good job of coming off the ball and controlling the line of scrimmage,” Stumbaugh said. “He had a big ballgame.”

http://www.rgvsports.com/sports/yards_642___article.xml/defense_good.html

IHStangFan
10-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Oh yeah!! it we have been right on, if we don't go for the 2 instead of the x point.:) why would you go for 2 if you were already up that much? Shame on PI! LOL. I figured this game would be ugly...and it was. Congrats.

footballgal
10-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks!

Practice, getting ready for district. :D Nah, that was in the first half, it came @ point 22 - they hadn't won anything yet.