PDA

View Full Version : The amputated leg and the smoker story get even more strange!!!!!

lostaussie
10-02-2007, 09:10 AM
MAIDEN, N.C. - A South Carolina man who stored his severed leg in a barbecue smoker that was later auctioned off is locked in a custody dispute with the North Carolina man who found it.

John Wood's leg was amputated near the knee after a 2004 airplane crash. He asked doctors to give it to him so he could be buried as a whole man when he died.

The limb, which Wood had kept in the smoker in a storage facility after he lost his home, was bought by Shannon Whisnant last Tuesday in an auction held by the storage company because Wood had missed his monthly payments.

Whisnant initially gave it to police, who subsequently turned it over to a funeral home when it became clear it was not the result of foul play.

But Whisnant, who put a sign on the empty smoker charging adults $3 and children $1 for a look, now wants the leg back.

"He's making a freak show out of it," Wood told The Charlotte Observer for a Monday story. "He wants to put money in his pocket with this thing."

Whisnant, who was unsuccessful in his bid to get the leg from the funeral home, consulted with a lawyer and decided his best move was to persuade Wood to share custody and profits.

"It's a strange incident, and Halloween's just around the corner," Whisnant said. "The price will be going up if I get (a stake in) the leg."

Click for related content
Man finds leg in smoker

Wood, who is heading to Maiden to pick up his leg, said the two men can meet, but he is not interested in using the leg to make money.

"I just think it's despicable," he said. "I don't mind having the 15 minutes of fame, but I'm not looking to really profit off this thing."

crzyjournalist03
10-02-2007, 09:20 AM
if he hires a good enough lawyer, I'm sure the lawyer could get custody of the leg, saying that it was in the smoker which was in the storage shed in which EVERYTHING was to be auctioned off because he failed to pay for it. Additionally, the leg was in the smoker at the time of purchase, meaning that the price paid included the smoker and the leg.

Ranger Mom
10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
That is SICK!!!!

I thought it was weird that he kept his leg...but I can understand a little better about wanting to be buried a whole man.

But....what kind of freak would pay to look at an amputated leg??

What's said, we probably have people on this very board that would!!:D :D :D

3afan
10-02-2007, 09:26 AM
good grief - give the guy his leg ..........

crzyjournalist03
10-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That is SICK!!!!

I thought it was weird that he kept his leg...but I can understand a little better about wanting to be buried a whole man.

But....what kind of freak would pay to look at an amputated leg??

What's said, we probably have people on this very board that would!!:D :D :D

lol...and we probably also have a few who would amputate their leg if they could make a living by having people pay to see it...:D

Ranger Mom
10-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
lol...and we probably also have a few who would amputate their leg if they could make a living by having people pay to see it...:D

True...true:)

Txbroadcaster
10-02-2007, 09:28 AM

Where did my saw go

AP Panther Fan
10-02-2007, 09:32 AM
if he hires a good enough lawyer, I'm sure the lawyer could get custody of the leg, saying that it was in the smoker which was in the storage shed in which EVERYTHING was to be auctioned off because he failed to pay for it. Additionally, the leg was in the smoker at the time of purchase, meaning that the price paid included the smoker and the leg.

What's crazy is that he could probably win...I think he has a leg to stand on!:eek:

44INAROW
10-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
What's crazy is that he could probably win...I think he has a leg to stand on!:eek:
OMG - APPF - please take the morning off and drive up here so you can clean my computer screen off.............. That is great!:D :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
10-02-2007, 09:34 AM

OMG!! ROFL!!! That was GREAT!!!!!:D :D :D :D

luvhoops34
10-02-2007, 09:35 AM

http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/yourock.gif

AP Panther Fan
10-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
OMG - APPF - please take the morning off and drive up here so you can clean my computer screen off.............. That is great!:D :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

how about I just take the morning off? ;) :D

Txbroadcaster
10-02-2007, 10:13 AM
how about I just take the morning off? ;) :D

I would not do that,,You need to get a leg up before resting on your laurels

pirate4state
10-02-2007, 10:13 AM

HAHAHAHAHA :D

AP Panther Fan
10-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I would not do that,,You need to get a leg up before resting on your laurels

You're right, it would just end up costing me an arm and a leg!:eek:

Ranger Mom
10-02-2007, 10:32 AM
You're right, it would just end up costing me an arm and a leg!:eek:

Y'all are on a roll today!!:D :D

AP Panther Fan
10-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Y'all are on a roll today!!:D :D

OMG...I was just looking around on the internet at jokes about people with no legs/arms....people are sick! :eek:

Who's that girl with one leg shorter than the other one?

Eileen

pirate4state
10-02-2007, 10:50 AM
OMG...I was just looking around on the internet at jokes about people with no legs/arms....people are sick! :eek:

Who's that girl with one leg shorter than the other one?

Eileen

ROFL!! :clap:

BobcatBenny
10-02-2007, 10:52 AM
That is SICK!!!!

. . . we probably have people on this very board that would!!:D :D :D

RM, wasn't that you I saw standing in line to see John Bobbit's amputation? :D

AP Panther Fan
10-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Okay...after this I won't post any more....

What do you call a guy with no arms or legs...

...on a beach?
Sandy

...in a pool?
Bob

What do you call his dog in the pool with no legs?
Bob Barker

...on the wall?
Art

And what do you call his arms and legs?
Pieces of Art

What if he also doesn't have a tongue?
Tasteless Art

OKAY, the Bob Barker one cracked me up.:evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

I promise...I am now finished.:D