PDA

View Full Version : Soza's of Beeville

luvhoops34
10-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Sozas reunited on the football field

By Javier Becerra

Monday, October 1, 2007
http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2007/10/01/1001_spo_chrissoza_t600.jpg
Chris Soza is Beeville's head coach
http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2007/10/01/1001_spo_justinsoza_t600.jpg
Justin Soza coaches receivers for Beeville
http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2007/10/01/20071001-005646-pic-981793721_t600.jpg
Eric Soza is the Beeville quarterback

BEEVILLE -- Not since 2000 had Chris Soza been on the same football field as sons Justin and Eric.

At the time, Chris was the head coach at Mathis, Justin the senior quarterback and Eric the ball boy. The three were together on the sideline the previous season when the Pirates played in the Class 3A Division I state championship game.

The clan is part of the same program again, this time at Beeville. Chris is still at the helm, only now Justin is coaching the receivers and Eric is the junior quarterback.

For the Sozas, things couldn't be better.

"It's a dream come true, really," Justin Soza said. "It's always been my goal to coach with my dad and coach my little brother. It's exciting. This is the best feeling I've ever had."

It helps that the Trojans went 4-1 during non-district play. The team is off this week before opening District 30-4A play against Miller.

Beeville blasted Medina Valley 41-14 in the season opener and then manhandled Laredo Cigarroa 55-8. The Trojans built a 24-point halftime lead against New Braunfels the following week, but gave up 27 unanswered points in the second half and took the loss.

The team rebounded by thrashing Sinton 50-6 and made it two in a row with a 30-28 win over San Antonio McCollum last Friday. Eric Soza has been a big reason why the Trojans have had so much success.

The junior has completed 58 percent (68 of 118) of his passes for 1,201 yards and 12 touchdowns with only four interceptions. Last year at this point, Soza was 43 of 79 for 808 yards and nine scores with four picks.

One can't help but wonder how much of a difference it makes now that Justin is there. Chris thinks it has.

"Justin's years of experience playing quarterback in high school and receiver in college has helped us a bunch," the elder Soza said. "He brings a lot to the table. He knows this offense probably better than anyone else because he used to run it when he played at Mathis. Some of the things we do are ideas he's implemented."

After graduating from Mathis, Justin Soza decided to stay close to home and picked Texas A&M-Kingsville. There he went from throwing passes to catching them and also was the holder on extra points.

Justin began his coaching career last season at La Villa. Once Eric found out his older brother might join the staff at Beeville, he couldn't wait for the season to start.

"I've always looked up to him," Eric said. "Now that he's here, I can't even explain it."

The relationship is a lot better these days.

"Eric is a lot younger than me, so when I was in high school we didn't get along all that much," Justin said. "As we both got older we matured. Now everything is great. We have a special bond."

Unless they end up as coaches somewhere, the Sozas have only one more season together. Having just been reunited, all Eric wants to do is enjoy the time they have left.

"I really haven't been thinking about next too much," Eric said. "I want to make sure we do the best we can this season."

Contact Javier Becerra at 886-3734 or becerraj@caller.com

Phil C
10-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Too bad they couldn't have had the daughter assistant coaching one of the volleyball teams. Then they would have been a foursome! I think she is still in college though.