PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Bidge...

Maroon87
10-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Astros give Biggio big sendoff
Twenty-year Houston favorite ends career on high note
By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- As Sunday's game at Minute Maid Park progressed into the later innings, Craig Biggio undoubtedly felt the weight of the world on his shoulders.
After all, it's not easy to juggle three tasks at once -- concentrate on the pitch being thrown, drown out the adoring cheers of 43,823 well-wishers and face the cold reality that the next few minutes represent the very final moments of a wonderful career that has sadly come to a close.

That the Astros beat the Braves, 3-0, was a mere footnote to a much larger story, one surrounding a franchise icon who ended his stellar 20-year career on Sunday.

The day was one big love fest, and it was spectacular. Traditional baseball rules largely went out the window as the largest crowd in Minute Maid Park history witnessed a perfect ending to a disappointing season and the Astros paid tribute to one of Houston's favorite sons.

As Biggio strode to the plate in the seventh frame to face the Braves' Ron Mahay, he was fully immersed in a balancing act more challenging than any he's faced in his career.

"You're standing in the on-deck circle, looking down at your shoes and just going, 'This is your last at-bat, ever,'" Biggio said.

He took a few extra moments before stepping into the box, but upon hearing the cheers cascading from all parts of Minute Maid Park, Biggio backed away from the plate one more time, tipped his helmet to the fans and stepped back in.

Mahay took several steps off the mound in order to give Biggio a little bit more time. Again, Biggio stepped out, waved to the crowd and finally dug in for the last at-bat of his career.

Biggio, who doubled in his first at-bat, grounded to third base. Chipper Jones slowly and deliberately fielded the ball and threw to first, and he later admitted he took his time with hopes that Biggio would beat out the ground ball and end his career with a hit in his final big league at-bat.

That was not to be.

"I'm too old and slow to get there," Biggio grinned.

"Nobody wants to be the guy in that situation," Jones said. "I figured I'd just kind of catch it, take my time and just flip it over there. Hopefully, he'd outrun it. It beat him by a half-step."

Biggio then walked to the dugout to what seemed like the 100th standing ovation of the day, hugged his sons, Conor and Cavan, high-fived his teammates and jumped back out for a curtain call.

Biggio then jogged to his normal spot at second base, but that was for symbolic purposes only. Soon, Cody Ransom emerged from the dugout and ran to short, and Burke was moved to second base. At that time, the crowd exploded again.

"They expressed their feelings; I showed mine," Biggio said. "It's been an unbelievable relationship over a long period of time. To have this many people here the last three games, considering where we are at in the standings and the way the season's gone -- they know I love them. They love me back, and they showed it.

"It was one of those special moments today. I'm going to miss it. This is all I really know. But the fans have made it worthwhile. That's what the game's about."

As he exited the field, Biggio shook hands with the umpires, hugged each teammate and coach as well as his skipper, Cecil Cooper, and waved to the crowd. The ovation lasted several minutes, and when it was over, Biggio walked to the dugout and headed to the clubhouse for the final time.

The entire game carried special meaning as Cooper managed the game a little differently than he would on a typical day. Instead of making position changes in the dugout, Cooper waited until the veteran players were already on the field, so they could give one last salute to the fans.

"I guess you could say it was choreographed," Cooper said. "It was done the appropriate way. I have respect for those veteran players that we had a chance to take out of the game. Some of them will be a part of this franchise for a while. I thought it would be fitting to do something like that."

But as the players trotted off the field, they stopped at second base to bid adieu to their soon-to-be-retired teammate on his special day.

"That was all their idea," Cooper said. "I thought it was wonderful. I'm just proud I was here to be a part of it."

J.R. Towles replaced Brad Ausmus in the fifth, and Ausmus walked over to Biggio, gave him a hug and waved to the crowd as he retreated to the dugout.

The rest of the players followed suit. Mark Loretta threw his hat to the crowd as he stepped off the field, replaced at short by Chris Burke. Lance Berkman also tossed his cap into the stands after hugging Biggio and leaving the game in favor of Mike Lamb.

Carlos Lee jogged in from his post in left field, gave Biggio a big bear hug, and waved to the crowd in his final appearance of the 2007 season.

"With Bidge retiring after 20 years and a Hall of Fame career, there was added sentimentality," Ausmus said. "Even me, who has generally robotic emotions, got a little lump in my throat when I was going off the field, and Bidge came over and gave me a hug. I enjoyed it. It's one of those moments that I'll remember."

Biggio provided one more unforgettable snapshot after the game. He ran a victory lap of sorts around the entire circumference of the field, waving to fans and shaking hands, saying goodbye one last time.

"Emotions are an amazing thing," Biggio said. "As we get older, we cry all the time. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a good emotion.

"When you sit and think about it and all these people are standing up, going crazy, you're thinking, this is pretty special. These people are here to say goodbye to you, and it's a great feeling. When I told the fans that I want to thank you for accepting me in the state of Texas for 20 years, I sincerely mean it. I am a very lucky man."

Alyson Footer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

AP Panther Fan
10-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow...this article brought tears to my eyes, so it is a good thing I didn't watch the game.:(

No more scuffed-up helmet that I want to clean.:(

44INAROW
10-01-2007, 10:03 AM
It was a pleasure to watch Biggio......... the game of baseball will miss him..........:(

Maroon87
10-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Wow...this article brought tears to my eyes, so it is a good thing I didn't watch the game.:(

No more scuffed-up helmet that I want to clean.:(

I'm not gonna lie...I watched it and I got choked up big time. Bidge has been such a part of people's lives around here. It's like Jim Deshaies said on the broadcast...Kids have been born, grown up, graduated, gone to college, and got married, and Biggio has been an Astro the whole time. He's like our Mickey Mantle, even with the same number.

To quote the Foo Fighters..."there goes my hero..." :(

Maroon87
10-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Biggio doubles, scores in final game as Astros blank Braves

HOUSTON (AP) -- Craig Biggio didn't know when the tears would come on Sunday. Turns out all it took was hearing his children's voices.

The retiring Biggio doubled and scored in the first inning of his final game as the Houston Astros beat the Atlanta Braves 3-0 before a record crowd at Minute Maid Park.

The 41-year-old Biggio, who played his entire 20-season career in Houston, got standing ovations every time he batted. He fought off his emotions throughout the game, but lost it a few times in the dugout between innings, when personal messages from his three children -- 14-year-old Conor, 12-year-old Cavan and 8-year-old Quinn -- were played on the giant scoreboard.

"If you're older, you cry all the time and there's nothing wrong with it," he said. "But it's a good emotion. It's a good cry, a healthy cry."

Biggio became the 27th player to reach 3,000 hits on June 28 and announced his retirement a month later. He will leave as the franchise's all-time leader in games, at-bats, hits, doubles and total bases.

He finished with 3,060 career hits and will finish 20th on the all-time list, just behind Cap Anson (3,081). Of the 19 players ahead of him, only Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame.

Chipper Jones, who came into the game trailing Matt Holliday by one point in the batting race, went 0-for-3 to fall to .337. Holliday went 1-for-3 in Denver, as the Rockies beat Arizona 4-3 to force a one-game tiebreaker with San Diego on Monday.

Holliday would have to go 0-for-5 or worse for Jones to win the batting title.

The weekend series in Houston, meanwhile, was a three-day tribute for Biggio, with fans packing the park for one last glimpse at the franchise's most beloved all-time player. His final game drew 43,823, the largest crowd in the park's 7-year history.

Even Jeff Bagwell, who shared 15 seasons with Biggio, came to say goodbye.

"This was a special day. You see the way the crowd reacted to him all week and actually, all of his career," said Bagwell, the Astros' all-time leader in home runs and RBIs. "But things have to end. The Biggio-Bagwell era is over. You hope some of the things we established will carry over for a long time."

Biggio tipped his beat-up helmet to another standing ovation in the first inning before doubling off the left-field scoreboard off Atlanta starter Buddy Carlyle (8-7). Biggio finished his career with 668 doubles, fifth all-time and the most by a right-handed hitter.

He scored on Carlos Lee's single, his 1,843rd career run. The Astros took a 3-0 lead in the first.

"I was hoping to get a hit, I was hoping that we won," he said. "I didn't want to strike out on my last at-bat. I had all those things. It was a pretty fast day."

Biggio batted again in the second and grounded out, then flew out in the fifth.

The crowd swelled to another roar as Biggio walked to the plate for his final at-bat in the seventh. He took a deep breath as he dug in, but Atlanta reliever Ron Mahay stepped off the mound as the salute continued.

Biggio tipped his helmet one more time, hit a sharp bouncer to Jones at third and was out by a step.

"Standing in the on-deck circle, looking down at your shoes thinking, 'This is your last at-bat -- ever.' It was rough," he said.

He trotted out to second base for the last time to start the eighth inning and manager Cecil Cooper replaced him with Cody Ransom.

Biggio tipped his black cap to the fans and trotted off the field and the Astros all came out to meet him. Biggio embraced each one, then doffed his cap to the Braves dugout and savored another minute of cheers before disappearing into the dugout for the last time.

"I'm going to miss it," he said. "When you're sitting here thinking about it and all those people were standing up and going crazy, you're thinking, this is pretty special. These people are here to say goodbye to you. It's a great feeling."

Hunter Pence added an RBI double in the Astros' 3-run first and Houston rookie Felipe Paulino (2-1), making his third major league start, allowed only two hits in six shutout innings.

But the day belonged to Biggio.

In the pre-game ceremony, the Astros presented Biggio with a commemorative second base and a letter from baseball commissioner Bud Selig.

"I wish you the best of luck as your playing career comes to an end," the letter concluded, "and I look forward to our paths crossing in the very near future and again, several years from now, in Cooperstown."

The franchise also gave him a check for $3,059 -- a dollar for every career hit -- for Biggio's charity, the Sunshine Kids, which benefits children stricken with cancer.

The Astros and Braves joined fans in a minute-long salute before Biggio took the microphone from owner Drayton McLane and addressed the crowd.

"People ask me why I play the game the way I do," he said. "It's because you guys expect it."

Fal44
10-01-2007, 10:54 AM
BEE--GEE---OOOO!

pirate4state
10-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I forgot all about it!! :doh: This morning I was watching Sportscenter and saw the highlights and almost started crying!!! :eek: :doh: :D

Biggio was always fun to watch and he will be missed and regardless of what others thing - he IS a future HOF'er!!!! :clap: :clap: :)

burnet44
10-01-2007, 10:58 AM
a true class act
any sport misses guys with class like that
TO the booth next?

wildcat81
10-02-2007, 10:27 AM
bidge is one of the best.