PDA

View Full Version : Tarleton football

3afan
09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
saw TSU play SW Okla St in Stephenville Saturday, TSU won 43-19 ... they are really good

smustangs
09-30-2007, 08:44 PM
well thank you yall need to come back next weekend to pack it for Midwestern

Cameron Crazy
09-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
well thank you yall need to come back next weekend to pack it for Midwestern Midwestern is good this year!

smustangs
09-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Midwestern is good this year!

yes they are i dont want to look past this week but we should go in 6-0 and im not sure who they play so it should be a huge game

sweetwater07
09-30-2007, 09:27 PM
yes they are i dont want to look past this week but we should go in 6-0 and im not sure who they play so it should be a huge game

whens homecoming and who do we play??

burnet44
09-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Drove by on our way back from Windthorst
saw the lights
was too tired to stay and watch
my Rams got killed by an Okie school
not like it used to be
oh well hang in there

kaorder1999
09-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Tarelton is good this year!

dogdad
09-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Rodney Webb Inducted Into TSU Hall of Fame
By Bobby Summers

Royse City Athletic Director and head football coach, Rodney Webb, has been turning heads toward his Royse City football program for going on four years now. Nearly twenty years ago, Webb was turning several heads from his guard position while playing football for the Tarleton State University Texans. For his accomplishments he will be inducted into the Tarleton State University Hall of Fame.

Webb played four years for the Texans from 1986 thru 1989. During a 5 year span from 1986 to 1990, Tarleton touted a 45-11-1 record and won the Sunflower Bowl in 1986, which was Webb’s freshman season. For two of Webb’s and the Texan’s seasons they advanced to the NAIA quarterfinals. Because of Tarleton’s dominance, the school, located in Stephenville, Texas, was accepted as an NCAA Division II program and rejoined the Lone Star Conference.

As a freshman and sophomore Webb was named to the second team All-Conference squad. His junior and senior seasons, Webb was a first team All Conference member. For four years Webb was Academic All-Conference. The honors did not stop there. He was named as a second team All-American his senior season. His final season also was highlighted by being named as the Tarleton State University Most Valuable Player.

Coach Webb began his coaching career as a Graduate Assistant Coach for the Texans. He was the tight ends coach for the university. From Stephenville he spread his wings and joined the coaching staff in Elgin, Texas where he spent 2 years as an assistant coach. From there it was off to New Mexico to share his coaching skills. Webb would spend the next seven years at Ruidoso High School and helped guide the Warriors to the New Mexico State Championship in 1998. The Warriors came up short on their quest for the championship, but Webb’s resume’ continued to build. A short one year stint at Austin Aikin High in Austin, Texas and then his coaching duties were requested at Garland Naaman-Forest High School. Those coaching assignments just about brought the young coach full circle back to his old stomping grounds. Webb spent his high school playing career as a North Garland Raider.

It was in 2003 that Webb began his coaching duties as a Royse City Bulldog. Under Webb’s tutelage the Bulldogs have been blazing through the seasons and the playoffs. In those four years, the Bulldogs have made the playoffs three years, won two undefeated district championships, made an appearance in the State Semi-final game at Texas Stadium and enjoyed a run to the State Quarterfinals just last season. Two of his few defeats were to eventual State Champions and those losses came very deep in the playoffs. Webb has guided the Bulldogs to 33 victories in just four seasons.

The Tarleton State University Alumni Association President notified Coach Webb about the school’s Hall of Fame committee’s nomination and their choice of Webb as one of their newest members. The induction ceremony will be held in Stephenville on the afternoon of October 6, 2007. The Texans Hall of Fame game will be played that evening against Midwestern State University.

When asked how this ranks with the highlights of his coaching career, Webb replied, “Personally, this is about the biggest honor I could receive. This is still sinking in for me. I guess it will hit me soon, especially when that date comes closer. It is such a great honor.”

wildstangs
09-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Dont forget about ACU. (ACC as Burnet44 likes to call them) They lost their first game, but have breezed through the rest of the competition, including spanking undefeated ENMU last night.

smustangs
09-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
whens homecoming and who do we play??

October 27 agaisnt ACU

they are loaded this year and will be an amazing game to watch billy malone is haveing a heck of a year up there

smustangs
09-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Dont forget about ACU. (ACC as Burnet44 likes to call them) They lost their first game, but have breezed through the rest of the competition, including spanking undefeated ENMU last night.

yes ACU is loaded this year the loss will hurt them in the play off birth chances this year unless they win out. even then if us, wt, or msu have 1 loss it will be hard for acu it should be interesting

burnet44
09-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
Rodney Webb Inducted Into TSU Hall of Fame
By Because of Tarleton’s dominance, the school, located in Stephenville, Texas, was accepted as an NCAA Division II program and rejoined the Lone Star Conference.

No the Corps pumped a ton of money into there

Congrats to Coach Webb. A well deserving honor.

wildstangs
09-30-2007, 10:23 PM
yes ACU is loaded this year the loss will hurt them in the play off birth chances this year unless they win out. even then if us, wt, or msu have 1 loss it will be hard for acu it should be interesting

It definitely wasn't good for ACU, but I still think they get in the playoffs with two or maybe three losses. D2 has a pretty good eye about selecting the best teams. They seem to know that good teams are going to slip up a bit, but can still produce good games in the playoffs.

ACU lost at least two regular season games last year, in fact it was the last two, and still made the playoffs.

burnet44
09-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Dont forget about ACC They lost their first game, but have breezed through the rest of the competition, including spanking undefeated ENMU last night.

marevelous
My Rams are in big trouble

PlayaJBiehl20
09-30-2007, 10:35 PM
ACU is good too.

smustangs
09-30-2007, 10:40 PM
It definitely wasn't good for ACU, but I still think they get in the playoffs with two or maybe three losses. D2 has a pretty good eye about selecting the best teams. They seem to know that good teams are going to slip up a bit, but can still produce good games in the playoffs.

ACU lost at least two regular season games last year, in fact it was the last two, and still made the playoffs.

they could possibly get in w/ 2 but they wont make it w/ 3 they take 6 teams out of the region so there are 2 more conferences to worry about too

burnet44
09-30-2007, 10:47 PM
D2Football.com Top 25 Media Poll
September 25, 2007

Rank Team Record
1 Grand Valley 3-0
2 North Dakota 4-0
3 North Alabama 3-0
4 Chadron State 4-0
5 Nebraska-Omaha 4-0
6 Valdosta State 3-0
7 Delta State 3-0
8 Northwest Missouri 2-1
9 West Texas A&M 4-0
10 Newberry 4-0
11 Carson-Newman 4-0
12 California 4-0
13 Midwestern State 4-0
14 South Dakota 3-1
15 Catawba 4-0
16 Tarleton State 4-0
17 West Chester 3-1
18 Shepherd 3-1
19 Abilene Christian 3-1
20 Missouri Western 3-1
21 Pittsburg State 3-1
22 IUP 3-0
23 Wingate 4-0
24 Tuskegee 3-0
25 Central Washington 2-1

Earned access to the playoffs can be gained by a conference if a conference representative finishes in the top 10 of the final regional rankings.

Regional Rankings aint out yet

wildstangs
09-30-2007, 10:52 PM
they could possibly get in w/ 2 but they wont make it w/ 3 they take 6 teams out of the region so there are 2 more conferences to worry about too

What if everyone in the conference finishes with two conference losses? ACU could still win the conference on a tie breaker? Are you sure about six teams, I thought they took eight.

Astrosdawg07
09-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Carl Mitchell from Jasper is playin DE for Tarleton State :)

smustangs
09-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Carl Mitchell from Jasper is playin DE for Tarleton State :)

and he is a hoss too

smustangs
09-30-2007, 11:22 PM
What if everyone in the conference finishes with two conference losses? ACU could still win the conference on a tie breaker? Are you sure about six teams, I thought they took eight.

no they only take 6 (the southwest region consist of miaa, rmac, and lsc). not saying they could win the conference w/ 2 losses(they could but i think someone will run the table or only have 1 loss) but they could still make hte playoffs w/ 2 losses if the other conferences played out right. more than likely there will be a good 2 loss team left home this year

football4life
09-30-2007, 11:36 PM
in case anyone was wondering, west texas a&m is currently ranked above all these teams, we are 5-0 and have been unstoppable offensively. but somehow we don't seem to get the respect even after back to back LSC titles, we were picked 4th in the lsc south. i could go on with some other tid bits of disrespect, but the next few weeks should speak for themselves. @midwestern this week, @acu in 2 weeks, and @tarleton to finish the season.

3afan
10-01-2007, 07:00 AM
what are you interpreting as disrespect ???

smustangs
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by football4life
in case anyone was wondering, west texas a&m is currently ranked above all these teams, we are 5-0 and have been unstoppable offensively. but somehow we don't seem to get the respect even after back to back LSC titles, we were picked 4th in the lsc south. i could go on with some other tid bits of disrespect, but the next few weeks should speak for themselves. @midwestern this week, @acu in 2 weeks, and @tarleton to finish the season.

no one is taking bad about wt. all of us on the team here at tsu believe they are the team to beat in the conference. their passing game is second to none and they are goin to be very tuff should be a good game to finish they year and hopefully its for all the marbels

burnet44
10-01-2007, 12:38 PM
my Rams are trying to keep out of the cellar

smustangs
10-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
my Rams are trying to keep out of the cellar

ya i thought after they nearly beat sam houston they might have a good year. we get to go to angelo this for the second to last game of the year. you goin to be there?

Maroon87
10-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by football4life

The Buffs beat my Hoggies this past Saturday.:(

smustangs
10-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
The Buffs beat my Hoggies this past Saturday.:(

we play your hoggies this weekend there

Maroon87
10-01-2007, 06:16 PM
we play your hoggies this weekend there

That'll be a "W" for Tarleton...:o

smustangs
10-01-2007, 06:17 PM
That'll be a "W" for Tarleton...:o

haha we cant look past em' on offense they are very weak but their defense isnt all that bad

Maroon87
10-01-2007, 06:22 PM
haha we cant look past em' on offense they are very weak but their defense isnt all that bad

It seems like we've been very young the last few years. You'd think that would translate into something by now but I guess not. I'll be there when we play East Central for Homecoming on the 13th, so I'll have to see if we're close to being competitive again or not. Strange how we just went in the toilet all of a sudden.:confused:

smustangs
10-01-2007, 06:24 PM
It seems like we've been very young the last few years. You'd think that would translate into something by now but I guess not. I'll be there when we play East Central for Homecoming on the 13th, so I'll have to see if we're close to being competitive again or not. Strange how we just went in the toilet all of a sudden.:confused:

after mr. harlen hill trophy man himself left and they won the conference those 3 or 4 years they just crashed and burned i agree it is very strange

Maroon87
10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
after mr. harlen hill trophy man himself left and they won the conference those 3 or 4 years they just crashed and burned i agree it is very strange

Shoot, we were in the Div II semifinals just 3-4 years ago. For a while it was us and then everyone else in the conference. But we had rough times in the early 80's and bounced back with a vengeance then so we'll see if we can do it again soon.

PHS Wildcats
10-01-2007, 08:09 PM
I played there from 97-99. We had been up from NAIA for a couple of yrs getting things turned around. Glad to see they are winning.

burnet44
10-01-2007, 08:20 PM
ya i thought after they nearly beat sam houston they might have a good year. we get to go to angelo this for the second to last game of the year. you goin to be there?

Id like to be
We played well vs Sam
havent since

football4life
10-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
what are you interpreting as disrespect ???

wasn't interpreting disrespect from any of the posts, just a lack of recognition as well as lack of respect from the conference as a whole, i.e; the coaches with the pre-season ranks and the all-conference team last year. actually it's really helped in the motivation department. kingsville was o.k, nothing near where they have been the past few years. they could probably stand to get their qb back, although the frosh played hard.

3afan
10-01-2007, 10:49 PM
i gaurantee anyone they play will have the utmost respect!

burnet44
10-01-2007, 11:06 PM
the conference will never be what it was
the 60's and 70's it was tough
better players
it will never be that good again

3afan
10-02-2007, 06:12 AM
you cant compare now to the 60s & 70s ---- far much better athletes now, now would kick butt

smustangs
10-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
the conference will never be what it was
the 60's and 70's it was tough
better players
it will never be that good again

when it was tough? are you kidding me we have 4 temas in the top 15 had 5 undefeated till last week now we have 4 temas that are and ACU could very easily be undefeated right now as well. now granted asu and kingsville arnt the toughest teams to round out hte bottom of the conference but i would say its a tough conference. we have the number 2 passing offense in the nation and the number 1 rusher in the nation in the same conference seems pretty deep to me

Maroon87
10-02-2007, 12:40 PM
when it was tough? are you kidding me we have 4 temas in the top 15 had 5 undefeated till last week now we have 4 temas that are and ACU could very easily be undefeated right now as well. now granted asu and kingsville arnt the toughest teams to round out hte bottom of the conference but i would say its a tough conference. we have the number 2 passing offense in the nation and the number 1 rusher in the nation in the same conference seems pretty deep to me

It was a lot smaller conference back then and everyone was pretty good every year...A&I, ACU, ETSU, & SWT especially. If you ran that gauntlet the playoffs were a piece of cake.

rholl
10-02-2007, 02:34 PM
years for the Texans from 1986 thru 1989. During a 5 year span from 1986 to 1990, Tarleton touted a 45-11-1 record and won the Sunflower Bowl in 1986, which was Webb’s freshman season. For two of Webb’s and the Texan’s seasons they advanced to the NAIA quarterfinals. Because of Tarleton’s dominance, the school, located in Stephenville, Texas, was accepted as an NCAA Division II program and rejoined the Lone Star Conference.

That trip to Sunflower Bowl was amazingly fun!!!!!