PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GotW (week 5) : Hidalgo Pirates @ Raymondville Bearkats

R4Editor
09-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Bearkats(3-2) losses have been to District 32-3a Rio Hondo and Port Isabel, but the Bearkats have defeated one 32-3a foe, Progresso. Hidalgo(4-1) only loss is to Valley 4a powerhouse Edcouch-Elsa and have been outscoring opposition 40-9.

My pick is Hidalgo keeps rolling.

Discuss who wins and why.

footballgal
09-30-2007, 07:47 PM
This will be an interesting game to watch. Now that PI, RH and Hidalgo have played Raymondville, it will give us a small indication on how 32-3a is really at thus far. So far between RH and PI, PI has the edge, will see how it goes after Hidalgo plays them.

Johnny 5
09-30-2007, 09:49 PM
I think Raymondville will take this one. They have alot of speed, especially to the outside. In my opinion, Raymondville has more playmakers.

footballgal
10-01-2007, 09:09 AM
You think they have speed, hmm wait 'till week 9. :D

Johnny 5
10-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
You think they have speed, hmm wait 'till week 9. :D

:thinking:

Lets keep on subject lol

Cats Fan
10-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Like i stated on rgvsports....Hidalgo will win 35-28/27. But of course im giving a little more credit to Ray...they just played RH their bound to improve :D :D . No but seriously...Ray is going to bounce back and give Hidalgo a game, but with Hidalgos QB both throwing and running the ball the Pirates will take it and once more 31-3A will shut down 32-3A

BTW 31-3A is like 1 and alot versus 32-3A!
Only loss of 32-3A came at the hands of progreso...but even progreso should take the win this week versus lyford (31-3A).

11TARPON
10-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Hidalgo in a big win. Saw Ray against PI and RH and Ray doesn't have much of a defense and are not too quick except for one of their quarterback.

texansfan
10-01-2007, 11:44 AM
I like Hidalgo as well. Their quarterback Oscar Perez is the real deal and has about 800 yards rushing already. However if he is stopped and Raymondville can keep him off the field with their running game, I like their chances.

LordInfamous
10-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Hidalgo is too talented on offense. Two very good quarterbacks. Perez only play until the middle of the second quarter if not he would have had 1000 yards rushing and about 600 passing.
If Raymondville's defense is slow then they will have a hard time containing Hidalgo's rushing attack.

Mud has been the only thing that has stopped Hidalgo from scored 30+ on its opponents.

Johnny 5
10-01-2007, 02:44 PM
The line is slow. The Linebackers are average and the secondary is quick

buff4ever
10-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Hidalgo here by 21 points. Turnovers will be a factor in this one for sure. There will be 3 in favor of hidalgo.

Ray_BearKat
10-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by R4Editor
Bearcats(3-2) losses have been to District 32-3a Rio Hondo and Port Isabel, but the Bearcats have defeated one 32-3a foe, Progresso. Hidalgo(4-1) only loss is to Valley 4a powerhouse Edcouch-Elsa and have been outscoring opposition 40-9.

My pick is Hidalgo keeps rolling.

Discuss who wins and why.

wow, we're game of the week....

IMO, Hidalgo isn't going to have it that easy as some of yall might think...or at least it won't be a 21 point deficet. Aside from Mercedes and EE, Hidalgo's other opponent which they have blow out of the water were (0-5) Valley View, (1-4) Falfurrias, and Brownsville St. Joe which isn't in the winners bracket either.

The only common opponent we have together is Brownsville St. Joe which Hidalgo beat 49-6 and Raymondville beat 48-0...I think we can take this game if we don't make as many mistakes as we made against RH.

Johnny 5
10-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Raymondville would have made it a game against RH and PI if it were not for turnovers

footballgal
10-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
Raymondville would have made it a game against RH and PI if it were not for turnovers speak for yourselves. :D

LordInfamous
10-02-2007, 09:14 AM
This is going to be a game of matchups

Hidalgo's offensive line is very good and very disciplined. Hidalgo's qb and rb are constantly going to reach the secondary and the moment one of Rayville's db's misses a tackle, its an automatic 6.

matchups
Hidalgo's OF vs Ray's DF -
Hidalgo

Hidalgo' Receivers vs Ray's Secondary =
Rays

Hidalgo's backs vs Ray's linebackers
Hidalgo

prediction for the game
Hidalgo 41
Ray 21

footballgal
10-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Well looks like a good game, but I have read Hidalgo D is pretty good we'll see if Ray can put up the points, and and not have crucial turnovers.

footballgal
10-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Pirates emerge

Hidalgo has emerged as a real player in District 32-3A. Most might consider Port Isabel and Rio Hondo as the top teams, but the Pirates are making a strong case for themselves.

Their defense, which allows only 151.8 ypg, is playing at its highest level during Pirates coach Jorge Peña’s tenure. The team is led by arguably the most explosive player in district, Oscar Perez (510 yards passing, 723 yards passing).

The Pirates also are helped by the fact that running back Angel Nava (30-477, six TDs) has become a serious threat.

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/yards_607___article.xml/district_bobcats.html

Johnny 5
10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Get em Kats

footballgal
10-05-2007, 11:36 AM
STANDING TALL
Pirates emerging as defensive team
Peter Rasmussen | The Monitor
http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1191562271-alexrgvspts.jpg
Hidalgo’s Aaron Aleman (3) and teammate Luis Peraza, right, attempt to tackle Mercedes running back Alex Treviño during the teams’ season opener in Hidalgo. The Pirates are going for win No. 5 tonight when they travel to Raymondville.
Joel Martinez | jmartinez@themonitor.com

Oct 5, 2007 12:28 am
HIDALGO — Hidalgo coach Jorge Peña had an eye on Roy Peña as a possible defensive coordinator back during his time as head coach at Rio Grande City.

Jorge Peña’s interest heightened when he was the offensive coordinator for Roy Peña’s brother, Mario Peña, at San Benito in 2004. When Jorge took over at Hidalgo in 2005, coaching commitments prevented the union until this year when the Pirates coach was in the market for his third DC at Hidalgo. Roy, who led the defensive charge last season at RGC, was looking to move east to be closer to his family.

“When I talked to Jorge when he was coaching with my brother, he told me he wanted to get back into being a head coach, and he said he was interested in me running his defense,” Roy said.

Now that Roy Peña is running the Pirates’ stoppers, the Hidalgo defense is playing at its highest level than at anytime during Jorge Peña’s tenure and will be on display when the Pirates travel to Raymondville for a non-district contest at 7:30 tonight.

“It’s our aggressiveness,” senior nose guard Alex Treviño said about the difference from last year’s defense to this season’s. “We all just want to try and get to the ball carrier.
“We know that we can’t let up. If the other team gets a first down, it makes us mad because we think that is too much.”

The Pirates are second in the Rio Grande Valley, yielding 151.8 yards per game and have allowed only 45 points through five games. Only District 32-3A rival Rio Hondo (116.0) allows fewer yards.

Three times this season, the Pirates have allowed their opponents fewer than 100 yards, including only 27 against Falfurrias two weeks ago.
“We have an aggressive defense. For every action by the offense there is a reaction,” Roy Peña said. “We don’t hit first and then we react. We go straight for what we have to go for.”

Jorge Peña said he is not concerned about how many yards his team allows just as long as his defense is effective.

“It is a very aggressive defense, yet it is sound,” Jorge Peña said. “You can be aggressive but you have to be smart, too. Roy spends countless hours going over film and teaching these kids the fundamentals to be successful.”

The Pirates’ ‘D’ will have another test in a speedy Bearkats team, which has skill players capable of burning defenses.

Dustin Alejo, the District 31-3A 200-meter champion and state finalist, has 146 yards rushing and 217 yards receiving. The quarterback tandem of Raul Salinas (376 yards passing, four passing touchdowns) and Orlando Mesa (390 yards rushing) is producing modest numbers for Raymondville.

Even with some fire power, Bearkats coach Alex Leal said he knows his offense will have its hands full with a stiff Pirates defense.

“(The Pirates) run that Mario Peña defense,” Leal said. “We talked to Mario Peña a lot last year because we were interested in his defense. We run some version of it, so we know what they do.

“(The Pirates) are aggressive. They come after you.”

Ray_BearKat
10-05-2007, 01:33 PM
:eek: so we have our work cut out for us....

Ray_BearKat
10-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Hidalgo 35 - Raymondville 7

Final

I think i lost track of the fumbles at halftime....

footballgal
10-06-2007, 12:13 AM
I heard it was like 5 or 6, I hope you get those fixed before district.

LordInfamous
10-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Hidalgo 35
Raymondville 7

the score was much closer than what the game was.
Hidalgo was moving the ball at will and toying with Raymondville all of the game. Someone here said Raymondville was good and fast but it wasnt a factor against Hidalgo's D.
District 32-3A has easily dominated all of district 31-3A.

Two weeks from now Hidalgo vs Rio Hondo.