PDA

View Full Version : Team or talent

LH Panther Mom
09-30-2007, 01:56 PM
I just read a post that made me think. In your opinion, is the best "team" determined by the most individual talent? Or is it determined by the cohesion of all players? There are no right or wrong answers.....just curiosity on my part. :)

Buccaneer
09-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Just Wins!

SintonFan_inAustin
09-30-2007, 02:00 PM
A team that shows up to play at their best every week. Talent and even good coached team might not play with the same level enthusiam week in and week out.

Johnny 5
09-30-2007, 02:07 PM
I think it is a good mixture of both.

PlayaJBiehl20
09-30-2007, 02:09 PM
You have to have some players, you can't walk out with just a good team, with no talent, if a team is good then they always have talent.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by PlayaJBiehl20
You have to have some players, you can't walk out with just a good team, with no talent, if a team is good then they always have talent. by Talent u mean High School talent or College talent?

necks_c/09
09-30-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm gonna say that talent is more important, b/c team chemistry alone will get you nowhere.

Also a talented team with no chemistry will not go far either.

But, you can win on pure talent, and every team needs standouts to win.....

plain and simple

big daddy russ
09-30-2007, 02:39 PM
What's that quote that someone had in their sig? "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

I've told this story several times on the board, but when I was going to community college down in Corpus after high school, two of my high school buddies and I got an intramural team together. It was seven on seven, we had about 10 or 12 guys on the team, and only about three of us had played organized football at any level.

Out of the 12 or so teams in the league, I have no problems saying that we were the least-talented team in the league. Still, we had an awesome defense and wound up winning a bunch of close games before finally being destroyed in the championship game. That team won the state tournament and made it to the semifinals at nationals in New Orleans, but that's another story.

Anyways, we only had one true 'stud,' our QB, and everyone else was just piss and vinegar. We all worked our butts off, never gave up on plays, and made sure we were having a good time. We wound up beating a bunch of teams who had no business losing to us.

But on that note, while the level of talent between us and 'Corpus Christi All-Stars' was decent, the only way we could've beaten that last team (all graduated from CC Miller) is if they would've just had a complete meltdown and everyone got pissed off at everyone.

To answer the original question, it's a little of both, but a lot of things have to fall into place for a significantly more-talented team to be upset by a less-talented team. You're never going to win a state title with a no-talent team, but you'll have a great shot at the playoffs every year.

burnet44
09-30-2007, 02:55 PM
ol coach said it best
"boys we can win some games with talent
we can win some games with toughness
but WE CAN WIN ALL of them if we have both"

I have always subscribed to that idea

you dont win w/o talent
you dont win w/o toughness

BobcatBenny
09-30-2007, 02:59 PM
LPHM quit voting multiple times! :mad:

kaorder1999
09-30-2007, 03:01 PM
gotta have players....

JR2004
09-30-2007, 03:05 PM
You do have to have players. You could have Vince Lombardi on the sidelines, but it wouldn't matter if he didn't have a thing to work with.

burnet44
09-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
You do have to have players. You could have Vince Lombardi on the sidelines, but it wouldn't matter if he didn't have a thing to work with.

Vince MADE them players
its different today
the talent level is so high
you have to have talent to compete
and there are more teams
more teams divide the talent
there is so much more difference today
in the top and bottom of the NFL
but free agency has the most impact
didnt have it then
players move a lot more

but make no mistake about it

VINCE MADE them champions

you cant do that today
talent level is too high and divided
besides 95% of them would quit and
go somewhere else

LH Panther Mom
09-30-2007, 04:34 PM
The post I read that made me ask was someone saying "Gilmer was the best team in 3A last year".

And by team unit, I'm not talking about a bunch of slobs. :p