PDA

View Full Version : Tornado touches down in Aransas Pass

pirate4state
09-29-2007, 10:13 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Tornado touches down in Aransas Pass

Sep 29, 2007 09:07 PM CDT

Tornado touches down in Aransas Pass

ARANSAS PASS - Residents in Aransas Pass are still a bit shaken up after a tornado briefly touchdown in their neighborhood. The National Weather Service confirmed that a small tornado briefly touched down just before 1 p.m. Saturday afternoon.

It was something Jim Hinkey had never experienced before.

"I was watching TV, and it sounded like a freight train coming through, the whole house was shaking," Hinkey said. "It's like it came down right on top of this house, and went straight down the street."

His nerves were rattled after a tornado whipped through his neighborhood. Something residents said was a rare sight in Aransas Pass.

"Yeah I've been down here for 15 years and I've never seen one in this area, always waterspouts on the water," said Terry Hoekman.

Fortunately no one was hurt in the storm, but it was a close call for a couple of girls who were caught playing in the street when the twister suddenly appeared.

"My neighbor Randi came out, and her kids were outside and they just made it inside when it came," he said.

"When we were down there riding our bikes it was raining a little bit then we saw stuff swirling around and we started running to our house yelling at our mom," said Heather Barker.

"I actually ran across the street as it was coming across. I grabbed them and we went inside to the bathroom," said Heather's mom Randi Barker.

Residents said the tornado lasted for less than a minute, but it still caused quite a bit of damage - pushing over trees and ruining fences.

As for some of the debris left behind by the storm, residents aren't sure where it came from. Meanwhile others are tallying their losses.

"It took the front corner off the porch, and my lawn mower disappeared. So, I don't know," Hickey said laughing.

"Yeah, they might...I don't know where, my neighbor's lawn mower is somewhere. Probably somewhere within a mile radius, I guess," Hoekman said.

Officials at the National Weather Service said they won't be able to rate this storm on the enhanced Fujita Scale until they send a scientist out to physically survey the damage.

Online Reporter: Alex Stivers

story link (http://www.kristv.com/global/story.asp?s=7147000)

I have already called and talked to APPF, she is fine.

rundoe
09-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Thank Goodness. I thought my wife was giving me a hint when I saw the lawnmower in the driveway, lol. ;)

piratebg
09-30-2007, 07:16 AM
My supervisor and I were monitoring AP when this happened. Very scary. Luckily no one was hurt.

AP Panther Fan
09-30-2007, 09:56 AM
It was pretty amazing. We drove around and looked at alot of the damage. Parts of roofs missing, fences down, huge oak trees uprooted and on top of several houses, an 18 wheeler flipped on its side (into another parked vehicle) and lots of stuff blown everywhere.

We were very lucky. It touched down less than a block from where I work and luckily (as far as I know) there weren't any injuries.

We aren't used to water spouts/tornadoes making landfall here.

Thanks for checking on us P4S. ;)

rundoe
09-30-2007, 10:00 AM
thank goodness, no one was hurt.

AP Panther Fan
09-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by rundoe
thank goodness, no one was hurt.

thanks...the weather here has been really crazy. Started raining hard way before daylight, I would imagine a good part of the town is flooding.

definitely a day to stay inside and watch football, eat massive amounts of food and sneak in a nap. ;)