PDA

View Full Version : Region II GotW(5): #1 Celina (4-0) vs. #5 Frisco Wakeland (4-0) (merged)

kof96
09-29-2007, 07:14 AM
who wins and why?

necks_c/09
09-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Frisco Wakeland is good, evident by that 56-0 win, but Celina is Celina....

Good game but Celina finds a way to win.....

(p.s. are u even sure this game is played this week, u been getting ur schedules screwed up?)

Leopards,class of 75
09-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Don't know much about Frisco Wakeland but I do know about Celina and how they always win. Should be a really good game.

charlesrixey
09-29-2007, 11:16 AM
this should be a much more exciting week for region II

we will learn a lot about 9-3A from this game

BobcatBenny
09-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
this should be a much more exciting week for region II

we will learn a lot about 9-3A from this game

Am I hearing GOtW for Region II?

charlesrixey
09-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

it will at least be one of the top 5 pick 'ems, if not the GOTW

i have to do all my region page magic first

DU_stud04
09-29-2007, 02:38 PM
when and where is this game? wouldnt mind seeing celina play again,like to see if they have picked up the slack and arent making as many mistakes as the first week

BobcatBenny
09-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Friday, 7:30PM , Bobcat Field.

alaskacat
09-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Celina don't loose at home. Havent done that snce 1998. Dallas Morning Nerws calls it the most ntimidatig field in Texas for opponents because we have no track, and a huge crowd...and it is very very loud.
Celina 35-14

charlesrixey
09-29-2007, 03:11 PM
you guys know the drill

this is a great matchup between two very different teams, this time in Celina

Celina Bobcats

Aug 31...Robinson, Pennington Field, Bedford W, 19-6
Sep 07...@ Argyle Liberty Christian W, 41-27
Sep 14...@ Plano Prestonwood Christian W, 50-17
Sep 21...OPEN
Sep 28...@ Princeton*

Frisco Wakeland Wolverines

Aug 31...OPEN
Sept 07...Frisco Liberty W, 38-13
Sep 14...Argyle @, 43-26
Sep 21...@ Plano John Paul II W, 64-0
Sep 28...Van Alstyne*

charlesrixey
09-29-2007, 03:16 PM
thanks to whomever merged, i was about to ask

LH Panther Mom
09-29-2007, 03:17 PM
thanks to whomever merged, i was about to ask
I combined the votes, too. :) (You're welcome...)

charlesrixey
09-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I combined the votes, too. :) (You're welcome...)

i figured as much!
;)

necks_c/09
09-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I combined the votes, too. :) (You're welcome...) I got to vote for celina 2 times :D

rundoe
09-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

Haven't had time to vote, been working on my VooDoo Doll.

TheDOCTORdre
09-29-2007, 05:32 PM
GO WOLVERINES

bobcat1
09-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by rundoe
Haven't had time to vote, been working on my VooDoo Doll. If you're scared Testify! Celina by 2!:D

BILLYFRED0000
09-29-2007, 09:45 PM
This will be a good measuring stick for both clubs. Right now I believe FW will finish second. I would like to see if we are going to come on out and play Celina football or not. The boys had a come to Jesus meeting cause they were not happy about their 35 6 win over Princeton. It sounds like the team leadership has spoken. Now let's see what it means and just how good is wakeland.

kof96
09-30-2007, 08:21 AM
I think celinas home streak ends friday.Celina is not as good as last year.:(

necks_c/09
09-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by kof96
I think celinas home streak ends friday.Celina is not as good as last year.:( ur just crazy....

First their the best team ever, now they gonna lose at home, next liberty hill will be 10-0 and ur mag will go to 9 mil dollars....

charlesrixey
09-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
This will be a good measuring stick for both clubs. Right now I believe FW will finish second. I would like to see if we are going to come on out and play Celina football or not. The boys had a come to Jesus meeting cause they were not happy about their 35 6 win over Princeton. It sounds like the team leadership has spoken. Now let's see what it means and just how good is wakeland.

they hung around until the fourth last year

i was very impressed with the poise of both of their qb's

JR2004
09-30-2007, 03:25 PM
This probably will be the last meeting between the two until Celina moves up in another decade or so since Wakeland will be 4A next season. I think their enrollment is at least 1400 or so at the moment if not more.

Celina still wins this by a couple of TD's though.

icu812
09-30-2007, 07:05 PM
1400?? Wow. I'll still take the 400+ at Celina over how ever many from Wakeland.

Is this the game of the week? What about Royce City vs. Pit?

kof96
09-30-2007, 08:31 PM
who has seen both play?

3afan
10-01-2007, 07:33 AM
too bad this game is going to be played in such a small stadium

charlesrixey
10-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by icu812
1400?? Wow. I'll still take the 400+ at Celina over how ever many from Wakeland.

Is this the game of the week? What about Royce City vs. Pit?

RC vs. Pittsburg is one of the five pick 'em games, but this one is the game of the week

charlesrixey
10-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
too bad this game is going to be played in such a small stadium

so true

i was at the game last year in pizza hut park (on leave--what a great stadium) and there was a respectable 20-30% filled in stands (capacity: 21000)

the only bad thing about Bobcat Field is its cramped locale, but i would much rather have that than a track around my field

firstdown
10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
who has seen both play?

I have. (Argyle)
This has the making of a great game. If Celina doesn't take Wakeland seriously they are in for a rude awakening. Wakeland and Celina are 1 and 1A in team speed for teams we have faced this year and I'm not sure which is which. I'd bet on Celina in game decided by 3 points or less.

Texasfootball2
10-01-2007, 02:01 PM
What poll has Wakeland ranked #5. Not that it matters, should be a great game anyway. Most polls have Celina ranked around 3 or 4. I'll go with the home team on this one.

charlesrixey
10-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
What poll has Wakeland ranked #5. Not that it matters, should be a great game anyway. Most polls have Celina ranked around 3 or 4. I'll go with the home team on this one.

that comes from my region 2 rankings (this thread was merged)

celina is #2 in my state rankings and Wakeland is somewhere around 15-18 (i can't remember exactly and i don't want to have to go back and look right now)

BILLYFRED0000
10-01-2007, 02:28 PM
that comes from my region 2 rankings (this thread was merged)

celina is #2 in my state rankings and Wakeland is somewhere around 15-18 (i can't remember exactly and i don't want to have to go back and look right now) ]

I thought we ought to schedule some local 4a programs but I did not intend for us to have one in our district.:D

buff4ever
10-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I say celina by 17. It will be closer until the fourth.

BILLYFRED0000
10-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Well I hope it turns out that way. We are hurt on D right now missing this last game arguably our best linebacker and our starting de. Then D'anton went out with a concussion so then went our starting safety. I know D'anton will not be back this week and may be out for 3 weeks.I think Caleb will play at about 90 percent. Not sure about Leland's hamstring.

kof96
10-01-2007, 10:47 PM
This is setting up perfect for wakeland to end celinas home winning streak.I think celina would have a hard time with this team if healthy.With all the people hurt i see wakeland winning.

lakers
10-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Celina by 10. I expect it to be a good one

Buckeye80
10-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Celina is ranked above Gilmer in the region. :doh:

Man reputation and 2A Championships carry alot of weight in here!!!

I'll take Celina in this one.

Celina 31
Frisco Wakeland 13

block&tackle
10-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Celina is ranked above Gilmer in the region. :doh:

Man reputation and 2A Championships carry alot of weight in here!!!

I'll take Celina in this one.

Celina 31
Frisco Wakeland 13
Maybe the fast that Celina was still playing football 5 weeks after Gilmer started basketball last year has a little to do with it.

lostaussie
10-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
Maybe the fast that Celina was still playing football 5 weeks after Gilmer started basketball last year has a little to do with it. that is old news and if we are gonna talk about old news does 45-22 ring a bell. Celina stills wins by 2 tds, unless of course i decide to come to the game:D

kof96
10-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Celina has alot of players hurt.I hope they can win.Anyone from celina hear anything the coaches have to say about this game?Do they think they can win?

block&tackle
10-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
that is old news and if we are gonna talk about old news does 45-20 ring a bell. Celina stills wins by 2 tds, unless of course i decide to come to the game:D
Just responding the 2A crack, which has also been beat to death here. Gilmer was my pick to win DI before the season started and nothing that I have seen changes that. Celina will handle Wakeland about the same as Gilmer will handle Royce City when the time comes, for the same reasons - too much experience, too much tradition, too physical.

And Wakeland is 3-0 not 4-0. Look at Wakeland's wins - A JV team (UIL doesn't count wins against JV teams and neither do I), a winless (in the history of their program) John Paul II, a Van Alstyne team that is 2-12 over the last season and a half, and a fairly good Argyle team.

As to 45-20, four years tends to make things a bit misty.3

BILLYFRED0000
10-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
that is old news and if we are gonna talk about old news does 45-22 ring a bell. Celina stills wins by 2 tds, unless of course i decide to come to the game:D

In the for what it's worth department I have Gilmer and Celina bout even. Close enough that injuries and home field would decide the out come. Celina is ready to go this week. I finally got to see a serious practice today. First one this season. It was nice.

And BTW, the 45 22 win was against one of the worst teams we put on the field in the last 10 years. I would not call that a big deal.

Buckeye80
10-02-2007, 10:29 PM
And BTW, the 45 22 win was against one of the worst teams we put on the field in the last 10 years. I would not call that a big deal.

I was waiting for it and you came through!

Aussie, the '03 win does not count because Celina was not very good that year. So don't use that reference anymore. Anything less than a Championship in Celina is a crap team!

Discipline to discipline?? It's a wash.
Tradition to tradition?? Celina by far
Athleticism to athleticism?? Gilmer by far

BILLYFRED0000
10-02-2007, 11:11 PM
I was waiting for it and you came through!

Aussie, the '03 win does not count because Celina was not very good that year. So don't use that reference anymore. Anything less than a Championship in Celina is a crap team!

Discipline to discipline?? It's a wash.
Tradition to tradition?? Celina by far
Athleticism to athleticism?? Gilmer by far

Hey ya'll are the ones that want to brag about that win. I was just telling you how good the team was. Not a problem with me now is it. You must have ignored the rest of my post.
I have Giddings LH Gilmer Celina and Royse City as my top 5 in that order. I am still not sure about us yet as we need to improve in a couple of key areas. But right now nobody else in state is any better either. I think Gilmer may be better than we are now. I would have put last years team up against you tho.
We would have run the ball down all night and kept that high powered offense off the field enough to win.

Buckeye80
10-02-2007, 11:40 PM
I think Gilmer may be better than we are now. I would have put last years team up against you tho.
We would have run the ball down all night and kept that high powered offense off the field enough to win.

You are correct on your first point. Gilmer is better than Celina right now. Celina does not have the athletes to match up with Gilmer. Gilmer actually has a defense this year, and that defense is excellent against the run. That game would most likely get ugly.

And as for last year's fantasy matchup, every team we played tried that same ball-control strategy. Only one team succeeded and won by a field goal. It took a state champion to beat the 06 Buckeyes. I'm not sure a state "runner-up" could've gotten it done.

BILLYFRED0000
10-03-2007, 05:01 AM
And as for last year's fantasy matchup, every team we played tried that same ball-control strategy. Only one team succeeded and won by a field goal. It took a state champion to beat the 06 Buckeyes. I'm not sure a state "runner-up" could've gotten it done.

Yeah but the difference is we had a defense too and an offense that went to state. The state runner up in D1 was hammered by us 42-14. So me thinks we could have given you a game.

bobcat1
10-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Is this one of those MBDIBTYD threads now or an ifs and buts were candy and nuts threads? Celina by 2;) over Wakeland!:D

"Last year it took a state champion to beat Glimer":clap: :clap: :clap:

zebrablue2
10-03-2007, 05:59 AM
celina by 7, although turnovers could play a big part, as in any game. wish I could see this one. should be a great game.

BILLYFRED0000
10-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Well I still don't really have a feel for FW. The only team they beat that I have any respect for was Argyle. And Argyle has not shown very good d this year at all. I believe we will play better d and better o but I guess I just do not have a feel for this one.

lostaussie
10-03-2007, 08:12 AM
the only thing i really see Wakeland as having a plus in this game is enrollment. 1600 is a bunch of kids. i wonder how many they actually have on the team? Surely they could find a way to beat a team with a 400+ enrollment:D. my eight ball says it ain't gonna happen though.............not by a long shot.

DU_stud04
10-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
too bad this game is going to be played in such a small stadium agreed

Texasfootball2
10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Don't know to much about this matchup but based on what I do know.

Celina's kids have played in many games like this, Wakelands kids may not be as seasoned in big hyped up games, so I will give a definite edge to the experience of Celina.

But it is High School football and anything can happen. This game very much reminds me of the match last week between Clyde and Vernon. I know your sick of reading about that game but the comparison to the pre-game hype is very similar. One team trying to make a statement, the other is already a name brand. Would love to see this game but I'll be watching Wimberely and Wylie.

Good Luck

wtxfootball08
10-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
Don't know much about Frisco Wakeland but I do know about Celina and how they always win. Should be a really good game.

I agree- don't know much about Wakeland, but it's evident that they are good, but Tough Celina core should pull it off with out too much sweat!

lakers
10-03-2007, 10:49 PM
After hearing about the lose of a student at celina, i am betting they will be playing for a little more than a W on the win column.

BILLYFRED0000
10-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by lakers
After hearing about the lose of a student at celina, i am betting they will be playing for a little more than a W on the win column.

This will be tough. Nothing like real life to mess with the heads of those invincible teens and their perspective on life. My heart goes out to them all. We recently lost someone close to us and there never is any way to express your feelings. It takes time. God Bless the kids everywhere and may they all be kept from harm.

lostaussie
10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
This will be tough. Nothing like real life to mess with the heads of those invincible teens and their perspective on life. My heart goes out to them all. We recently lost someone close to us and there never is any way to express your feelings. It takes time. God Bless the kids everywhere and may they all be kept from harm. very true. hard for kids to put out full effort with real life stories on their mind. prayers for the girls family as well as the entire community. i hate when things like this happen.

lion75
10-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Question for the knowledgable Celina fan...What time should I get there to get a decent seat?

bobcat1
10-04-2007, 07:56 PM
I'd say 6:30 at the outside. Some are reserved.

necks_c/09
10-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Celina has alot of players hurt.I hope they can win.Anyone from celina hear anything the coaches have to say about this game?Do they think they can win? haha does celina think the can win?

good one.....

post of the year candidate

BILLYFRED0000
10-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Well the prognosticators think Celina will win at DMN. 35 - 7 was their prediction. We do have some key injuries but also have good backups. Running from the spread is only as succesful as you can throw on us. I think we stuff the run and force them to throw and make their QB and not their stud RB beat us. Sounds like a plan. But then that is always how we play defense. Stop the run.

BILLYFRED0000
10-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Well Max Preps likes us 41 14 over wakeland. They have us number two behind Gilmer in 3a.

block&tackle
10-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I'd say 6:30 at the outside. Some are reserved.

How in the heck would you know? I heard that a generous person had you and your wife sitting on the 50 in reserved seating from Day 1, right in the middle of all of the beautiful people. Then, when you complained about that, that same person traded those two perfect seats for some amongst people more your speed.

I would guess that if you are not firmly planted closer to 6:00 you will watch this game standing up. There are folks in from out of town for the GA Moore thing and there is a natural tendency for this community to pull together at times like these. Add the fact that this game has generated some buzz and that Wakeland has a large enrollment and I think that even the standers are going to feel like sardines tonight.

ronwx5x
10-05-2007, 09:09 AM
PigSkin Preps has it as Celina by 24.

bobcat74
10-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Well Max Preps likes us 41 14 over wakeland. They have us number two behind Gilmer in 3a.

I believe it's

1) Gilmer 43.8
2) LH 41.6
3) Graham 40.3
4) Celina 40

How about Odessa Permian at #3 in the state?
It's good to see them back in the mix.

rangerjoe33
10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
...about the same as Gilmer will handle Royce City when the time comes, for the same reasons - too much experience, too much tradition, too physical.3

block&tackle, have you seen RC play this year or last year for that matter? Experience is a wash or in RC's favor, they return most of last years team that lost to the State Champ in the QF. Too physical? What are you basing that on? Don't think that RC is the same team Celina played and beat two years ago back to back...they are much better. You really need to at least see them play this year or last year before making a statement like that.

I guess we'll find out later in the year...chances are RC will get FW in the 1st round of the playoffs...then Kennedale, then Gilmer...

That is just a guess, my crystal ball is a little fuzzy...

Darren
10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I used to think that Celina was going to have a tough time winning in 3a. They proved me wrong I think that the could go deep into the playoffs in 4a.

I'm going with Celina by 10.

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Darren
. . . I'm going with Celina by 10.

Ten touch downs?

I'm placing my wager at your casino.

Even bobcat1 kept it to two touchdowns and he is the biggest Bobcat homer that posts! :D

bobcat1
10-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Now did I say 2 or 2 TD's? :D What did I mean? :p ;)

block&tackle
10-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
block&tackle, have you seen RC play this year or last year for that matter? Experience is a wash or in RC's favor, they return most of last years team that lost to the State Champ in the QF. Too physical? What are you basing that on? Don't think that RC is the same team Celina played and beat two years ago back to back...they are much better. You really need to at least see them play this year or last year before making a statement like that.

I guess we'll find out later in the year...chances are RC will get FW in the 1st round of the playoffs...then Kennedale, then Gilmer...

That is just a guess, my crystal ball is a little fuzzy...
First of all, if we only talked about teams that we had seen in person it would be much quieter around here. Have you seen Gilmer in person?

I think that great programs beat good athletes. Plus, the system RC runs is not a physical system - at least it wasn't the two years that I watched them.

Mostly though, its a gut feeling. If I am proven wrong I won't feel bad cause I like RC fine. I am just more of a defensive guy and I hate that spread and I think that Gilmer's O line is one of the best in the state on paper. I hope that we get a chance to see. I hope I am not there in person cause Celina is playing that night but I will be here to see what you have to say about it.

charlesrixey
10-05-2007, 05:58 PM
This game really comes down to one thing, and it will say a lot about both teams:

Celina's defense

Celina will score their points, so can Wakeland score against the Bobcats?

This is a statement game for the defense and for Wakeland as a team.

If Celina's defense from last year shows up, it's 42-14 or so

if Wakeland scores 28+, it will say a lot about Celina's defense and whether or not it is Championship caliber (of course, if celina is ahead 70-28, then it doesn't count)

That is the true key to the game, since i don't believe wakeland can keep us from scoring consistently

BILLYFRED0000
10-05-2007, 10:28 PM
36 0 Bobcats.

They never even got a sniff of the goal line.

bobcat74
10-05-2007, 10:31 PM
were you there billyfred?

If so, how was the G.A. thing?

BILLYFRED0000
10-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by bobcat74
were you there billyfred?

If so, how was the G.A. thing?

Yes I was there. Just a short walk from the old homestead. G A 's deal was nice. He still looks like he could get out there and coach.

charlesrixey
10-05-2007, 11:35 PM
This game really comes down to one thing, and it will say a lot about both teams:

Celina's defense

Celina will score their points, so can Wakeland score against the Bobcats?

This is a statement game for the defense and for Wakeland as a team.

That is the true key to the game, since i don't believe wakeland can keep us from scoring consistently

looks like i was right about something for once!

BobcatBenny
10-05-2007, 11:58 PM
This game came down to one thing.

Frisco Wakeland got manhandled. On both sides of the ball.

Celina even won the toss.

I hope security does not leave them alone in isolation because that was definitely death by asphyxiation. They choked.

Frisco Wakeland has a good case for a suit because that was just an unnecessary use of force on the Wolverines.

File it Dano! ;)