PDA

View Full Version : Region II Week 5 News/Notes

charlesrixey
09-29-2007, 03:09 PM
This is some of the new stuff i have added to my region page:
check it out for the rest (district pages to be updated shortly)

-Rankings-
2007 Week 5
Class 3A Region II
(v10.5.1)

1. Celina (4-0)
2. Royse City (4-0)
3. Gilmer (4-0)
4. Texarkana Liberty-Eylau (2-3)
5. Frisco Wakeland (4-0)
6. Atlanta (1-4)
7. Longview Spring Hill (3-2)
8. Van (4-1)
9. Canton (2-2)
10. Dallas Roosevelt (2-2)

-Regional Outlook (9/29/2007)-
With a light schedule in Week 4, Region 2 saw little moving and shaking at the top-except for one. #5 Prosper lost @ Whitesboro in a thrilling, close game, a huge upset for the Bearcats and a huge blow for a team that was expected to fight Celina for the 9-3A district crown. Prosper should still garner a playoff spot, but faces an uphill battle, and could concievably finish with an 8-2 record and not make the post-season. Around the region, Glen Rose fell once again to a Region I team in Decatur (38-25) and Atlanta and Liberty-Eylau lost again playing their brutal schedules.
Lake Worth, a 11-3A favorite, lost again, falling to 8-3A Bowie 45-13, to move to 1-4 on the year.
Week 5 promises only 12 matchups, but those should be pretty darn good. Celina and Frisco Wakeland square off in a battle that could now have a district title on the line(with Prosper's loss), and features an interesting contrast in styles with Wakeland's strong passing attack and Celina's traditionally strong defense and running game. Wakeland coach Marty Secord has brought this second year program to new heights in just his second year. #2 Royse City (4-0) hosts #14 Pittsburg (4-1) in what promises to be a shootout, and #3 Gilmer (4-0) plays against #6 Atlanta (1-4) in a matchup of past state champions from this decade (2004 and 2003, respectively).

-Weekly Picks/Pick 'Em-
Anybody that wants to join in the Region II Pick 'Em contest can pm me. There will be five games per week (like Region III) and the leaders will be posted on this page. Picks are highlighted in green below:

Week 5 Picks
Week 4: 4-1 (Overall 16-9)
Celina vs. Frisco Wakeland
Gilmer vs. Atlanta
Royse City vs. Pittsburg
Texarkana Liberty-Eylau vs. Sulphur Springs
Canton vs. Crandall

-Week 5 Schedule-
9-3A
Bonham vs. Whitesboro
Celina vs. Frisco Wakeland
Pilot Point @ Van Alstyne
Princeton @ Prosper
10-3A
Emory Rains vs. Mount Vernon
Royse City vs. Pittsburg
11-3A
Dallas Roosevelt @ Dallas A Maceo Smith
12-3A
Hillsboro vs. Kemp
Venus vs. Maypearl
13-3A
Crandall @ Canton
Kemp @ Hillsboro
14-3A
Canton vs. Crandall
15-3A
Gilmer vs. Atlanta
White Oak @ Texarkana Pleasant Grove
16-3A
Atlanta @ Gilmer
Mount Vernon @ Emory Rains
Pittsburg @ Royse City
Texarkana Liberty-Eylau vs. Sulphur Springs
Texarkana Pleasant Grove vs. White Oak

JR2004
09-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Could you please wait to do this next time until one of the teams in your rankings actually plays? You did your rankings and put Velt down for a LOSS BEFORE they even played today! While they probably are losing right now to SOC at least let the game happen first.

charlesrixey
09-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Could you please wait to do this next time until one of the teams in your rankings actually plays? You did your rankings and put Velt down for a LOSS BEFORE they even played today! While they probably are losing right now to SOC at least let the game happen first.

actually, i thought they were already 2-2

i know they and ranchview play tonight

JR2004
09-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
actually, i thought they were already 2-2

i know they and ranchview play tonight

They didn't play zero week so they've only played three games. Last score I got was something like 30-12 Roosevelt over SOC right now and that's a huge win if they pull that off because SOC is pretty darn good this season.

JR2004
09-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Velt 28 SOC 18. Velt moves to 3-1 with a big, big upset thanks to Vincent McNeil.

A 3-1 Velt team is better than a 2-2 Canton squad and probably belongs in the top five in the region. McNeil is that GOOD. Beating a very good SOC team like this is impressive.

R3Editor
09-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Region III has 8 games per week, not 5.

kaorder1999
09-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Velt 28 SOC 18. Velt moves to 3-1 with a big, big upset thanks to Vincent McNeil.

A 3-1 Velt team is better than a 2-2 Canton squad and probably belongs in the top five in the region. McNeil is that GOOD. Beating a very good SOC team like this is impressive.

Canton is better than Van....Canton can play. they have lost to Royse City and a dang good 4A Lindale team. Lindale is the same team that spanked Van

kaorder1999
09-29-2007, 09:43 PM
why is athens ahead of Kaufman? Kaufman just beat Athens yesterday

LH Panther Mom
09-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Good question..... :thinking:

Cameron Crazy
09-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Charels, you are doing some great stuff.

JR2004
09-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Canton is better than Van....Canton can play. they have lost to Royse City and a dang good 4A Lindale team. Lindale is the same team that spanked Van

I'm of the opinion that Velt is better than all but 3 teams in this region right now. I'd put Gilmer, Royse City and Celina above them. The only variable that can and probably will kill Velt in the playoffs against other talented teams will be coaching. My buddy that went today to the game said it's improved this year over last year, but it's still not enough to overcome Royse City and Gilmer in my opinion in the D1 bracket. It might not be improved enough to get revenge on Kennedale. Such a shame that a talent the caliber of McNeil will more than likely have another quick playoff exit.

charlesrixey
09-29-2007, 11:14 PM

i must've cut and pasted badly

let me switch that around

given their results from their schedules, they seemed fairly close other than the result from yesterday

charlesrixey
09-29-2007, 11:40 PM

i know Canton played Lindale a lot closer, but by the same token, i think that Van would play Royse City closer than 49-9 at home (or at least score some more points)

by the way--congratulations on your season so far!

;)

icu812
09-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Calhoun Rushes For 331
VAN - "Jermie Calhoun celebrated Van's homecoming in grand style.

Calhoun rushed for 331 yards and six touchdowns as Vandals scored a 47-22 win over Kemp Friday night at Van Memorial Stadium.

Calhoun scored on runs of 39, 21, 60, 6, 75 and 2 yards at quarterback. He also hit on 6-of-9 pass attempts for 94 yards."

Van's defense still a concern but many of Van's skilled position players are not playing both ways.....yet.

As far as Canton being better than Van......I think not.

kaorder1999
09-30-2007, 11:57 AM
charlesrixey...you are doing a great job and I was just telling JR2004 aboout Canton....I appreciate what you doing for Region 2