PDA

View Full Version : Bay City Vs Cuero

gato 76
09-29-2007, 04:16 AM
I will be seating on the Cuero side.Abit of advise i promise you this game is not going to be over till 10:45- 11:00 pm.The city cats throw the ball alot,and use the big play to score.The Brenham game was the fastest game so far and it ended at 10:45 pm.

Old Green
09-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by gato 76
I will be seating on the Cuero side.Abit of advise i promise you this game is not going to be over till 10:45- 11:00 pm.The city cats throw the ball alot,and use the big play to score.The Brenham game was the fastest game so far and it ended at 10:45 pm. Going to be another good game. Gobblers might speed it up by running the ball and controling the clock.:thumbsup:

Gobbla2001
09-29-2007, 11:11 AM
the game will end at 7:31... Bay City will forgeit :p

jk... looking like it'll be a GREAT game...

HM33
09-29-2007, 12:47 PM
will most likely be attending this game being that I used to live with a guy from Bay City and we both want to go. I look for this to be a good game. The past two I haven't been really impressed. I want to watch a good game :)

Old Green
09-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
the game will end at 7:31... Bay City will forgeit :p

jk... looking like it'll be a GREAT game... Just might;)

gato 76
09-29-2007, 07:18 PM
There going to be lots of speed out there.I thought Brenham was fast but the speedy blackcats recievers just worn them down.If the city cats can eliminate some of the penalties they could come out on top.But i just don't know we are not that big and when i mean speed im talking our fastest kid is probally 4.9 or 5.0 in the 40.

wookinpanub
09-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Cuero by 10

WOS87
09-29-2007, 07:34 PM
from the Houston Chronicle

Greater Houston Area PASSING LEADERS
Name Team Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT

Jordan Nolan......... Hardin 77 116 66.38 1,284 16 3
Shaun Rutherford Bay City 84 129 65.12 1,244 11 3
Jacob Karam. Friendswood 57 89 64.04 1,024 13 3
Kyler Crenshaw ..Brenham 64 118 54.24 890 7 2
Andrew Luck...... Stratford 59 105 56.19 885 7 6
Kenneth Guiton Eisenhower 54 104 51.92 868 4 5
Jeffrey Claybon ......Lufkin 47 90 52.22 865 10 2
Billy Noonan .......St. Pius 39 66 59.09 800 7 8
Kolby Gray......... Cy Falls 45 73 61.64 795 8 0
Dalton Livingston..7 Lakes 52 127 40.94 780 5 6

gobbler grad
09-29-2007, 08:52 PM
very impressive...hope Cuero secondary can hang...

gato 76
09-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Some Bay City stats the recieving core Darian Dale 24- 350- 4 td,Zack Benson 16-200 1 td, Kory Ford 8- 199- 2 td, Paul Ellis 5- 97- 1 td, Tony Davis 5- 84 - 1 td,Tommy Singleterry 2- 72-1 td

Rushing Shaun Rutherford 40 att-- 193 3 td, Zack Benson 19--130 1 td, CJ Patterson 4- 99- 1 td, Tony Davis 4 - 65- 1td.

The city cats will spread you out and run a no huddle offense.

HM33
09-29-2007, 10:46 PM
some impresive stats. Just hope I get to see some of those when they play :). I would like to see a shoot out with both team scores in the 30's that would be fun to watch lol... Cuero by 12 is my pic though

JT44
09-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Secondary can hang, most definitely....hargrove and johnson will be key in containinig rutherfords scrambling ability, and our LB's will have to keep up their great play from the LV game.

If the guys can pound the ball like they did against LV, they should do fine

I liked seeing 3 and 4 guys rotating in on every play also, even though it's only about the same 16-17 guys playing both ways

gato 76
09-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by JT44
Secondary can hang, most definitely....hargrove and johnson will be key in containinig rutherfords scrambling ability, and our LB's will have to keep up their great play from the LV game.

If the guys can pound the ball like they did against LV, they should do fine

I liked seeing 3 and 4 guys rotating in on every play also, even though it's only about the same 16-17 guys playing both ways

It going to be a very good game cuero d/c going to have to pick his poision if you blitz him you might get rutherford a few times then he will hit you with passes out in the flat or middle screens,if you play coverage he will pick you apart or run with the ball.I will say cuero secondary will be tested,and the city cats will have to stop cuero runnning game.I say bay city 40- cuero 21

Cameron Crazy
09-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Cuero is going to play some good ball and win this one.

CHSfan
09-29-2007, 11:53 PM
ohh cuero will take this one deff. they have been working their butts off in practice since the lh game and they dont intend on giving this game up!! if bay city wants to win they are gonna have one heck of a time tryin!!

JT44
09-30-2007, 12:06 AM
It going to be a very good game cuero d/c going to have to pick his poision if you blitz him you might get rutherford a few times then he will hit you with passes out in the flat or middle screens,if you play coverage he will pick you apart or run with the ball.I will say cuero secondary will be tested,and the city cats will have to stop cuero runnning game.I say bay city 40- cuero 21

we won't blitz, the only pass rush he will see is from the front four, if he starts to move he may see the LB's, but they are speedy. As long as cuero keeps those flat and middle screens contained, which I think they will, they should be ok.

cuero's speed is great side to side, if anyone wants to beat cuero, you have to be a running machine like LH or be able to go over the top of the secondary

If last year is any indication, rutherford will be good for 3 td's out of his own playmaking ability.
But I don't think that's enough
I say 3 td victory for the gobblers.

If anyone cares, last year cuero JV won 35-0.

gato 76
09-30-2007, 12:20 AM
we won't blitz, the only pass rush he will see is from the front four, if he starts to move he may see the LB's, but they are speedy. As long as cuero keeps those flat and middle screens contained, which I think they will, they should be ok.

cuero's speed is great side to side, if anyone wants to beat cuero, you have to be a running machine like LH or be able to go over the top of the secondary

If last year is any indication, rutherford will be good for 3 td's out of his own playmaking ability.
But I don't think that's enough
I say 3 td victory for the gobblers.

If anyone cares, last year cuero JV won 35-0.

Bay City will make cuero man up,cause if they just sit back and play coverage shaun liable to pass for 400 yds.When they start to man up bay city speed will wear down the cuero defense.Remember they run a no huddle offense and nobody plays both ways.The city cats just flat out wore out the brenham defense,and your also looking at 7 wr's they rotate in the ball game.Anyway its going to be a good game always like playing you guys cuero has great fans and great people.

Cameron Crazy
09-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Bay City will make cuero man up,cause if they just sit back and play coverage shaun liable to pass for 400 yds.When they start to man up bay city speed will wear down the cuero defense.Remember they run a no huddle offense and nobody plays both ways.The city cats just flat out wore out the brenham defense,and your also looking at 7 wr's they rotate in the ball game.Anyway its going to be a good game always like playing you guys cuero has great fans and great people. Your awful confident.

JT44
09-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Bay City will make cuero man up,cause if they just sit back and play coverage shaun liable to pass for 400 yds.When they start to man up bay city speed will wear down the cuero defense.Remember they run a no huddle offense and nobody plays both ways.The city cats just flat out wore out the brenham defense,and your also looking at 7 wr's they rotate in the ball game.Anyway its going to be a good game always like playing you guys cuero has great fans and great people.

well it should be good, two great programs.

Cuero will man up most of the time, they play 5 DB's all the time and one of the LB's has DB speed.

Sounds like Cuero best defense will be for it's offense to grind it out and slow down the game like this past week

I don't remember his name, but is the WR that caught the td's against cuero last year graduate? I think he was #6

JT44
09-30-2007, 12:26 AM
If cuero wins, what does this say about them, will people start to believe that they are a legit top 5 team.

I know most people think top 15, but Bay city did beat WOS.

LH Panther Mom
09-30-2007, 12:29 AM
will people start to believe that they are a legit top 5 team.

Does that really matter what others think of a "ranking"?

gato 76
09-30-2007, 12:54 AM
well it should be good, two great programs.

Cuero will man up most of the time, they play 5 DB's all the time and one of the LB's has DB speed.

Sounds like Cuero best defense will be for it's offense to grind it out and slow down the game like this past week

I don't remember his name, but is the WR that caught the td's against cuero last year graduate? I think he was #6

His name is tony davis #6,he is one of the wr's he is a good one.

gato 76
09-30-2007, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Your awful confident.

I am confident,this is a very good bay city team that is just getting better each week.If allan cherry would have left the offense alone like chad morris had he probally would have 2 state rings right now.This offense that bay city runs fits the athletes we have.What ever the case bay city will have to work hard for this win,and these kids are very hungary for it,im just glad we playing like i always felt we could play with that bay city swagger lots of confidents.

JT44
09-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Does that really matter what others think of a "ranking"?

well, put it like this Cuero lost to who I personally think is the best team in 3A, WOS is another 3a power as well as LV this year.
throw the loss out against LH b/c they will beat everyone, no chance to lose until probably december.

I just can't get over how many people, especially locally, are doubting this years team.

LH Panther Mom
09-30-2007, 01:06 AM
I just can't get over how many people, especially locally, are doubting this years team.
Now, the "local" doubting, I understand....completely. :)

GreenMachine
09-30-2007, 09:40 PM
well, put it like this Cuero lost to who I personally think is the best team in 3A, WOS is another 3a power as well as LV this year.
throw the loss out against LH b/c they will beat everyone, no chance to lose until probably december.

I just can't get over how many people, especially locally, are doubting this years team. I don't here anyone locally doubting this team. I for one, think that this team has a really good chance of winning it all. Win or lose this week doesn't really matter. Cuero gets a chance to see a completely different offense from the one two weeks ago...a good test for them. I predict a very tight game which could go either way. Bay City has a very explosive offense, so this should be fun. Best case scenario would be for both teams to play injury free and then start concentrating on district.

JT44
10-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
I don't here anyone locally doubting this team. I for one, think that this team has a really good chance of winning it all. Win or lose this week doesn't really matter. Cuero gets a chance to see a completely different offense from the one two weeks ago...a good test for them. I predict a very tight game which could go either way. Bay City has a very explosive offense, so this should be fun. Best case scenario would be for both teams to play injury free and then start concentrating on district.

Maybe just a few, some people I know that I usually sit by didn't come to games this year "b/c cuero doesn't have anybody" or "everyone good graduated" and some people at my wife's work criticize the kids just b/c their sons already graduated and they played on the past few years teams

I completely agree, this team is GOOD. I've told people all along that this group is special, more of a team mentality than years past, should make it to the semi's without a doubt, state would just be gravy

briefcase
10-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Should be a good game. Spread teams have given Cuero problems in the past. Wharton...namely.

wedo
10-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Cuero will have to score over 30 to win this game. rutherford didn't pass for 1200 yards against mediocore teams!! If the BC gets their special teams going and penalties to a minimal BC will out score Cuero by 24! IMO Cuero has too many guys going both ways.

Gobbler Fan
10-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Blow out by 24 hmmm I dont think thats going to happen . Cuero has not scored less than 35 points all year and that was against a very good defense in Liberty Hill ...Bay City is no Liberty Hill on defense. JT44 I have noticed the "more of a team" approach to this years squad also . I've said all along that this team is legit and after the LH game people should take notice . They played LH tooth and nail but just got flat wore out in the second half but that will not be a problem come playoff time when some of our JV and Freshman players are brought up for the playoffs.

Cuero By 14 against Bay City

JT44
10-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Cuero will have to score over 30 to win this game. rutherford didn't pass for 1200 yards against mediocore teams!! If the BC gets their special teams going and penalties to a minimal BC will out score Cuero by 24! IMO Cuero has too many guys going both ways.

Cuero will score 30 in the first quarter if BC's not careful. 3 defensive TD's this year.
the both ways arguement only works for LH, Bay city is a no huddle passing team, so there will be incompletions and time to rest, besides last game cuero has just about figured out a rotation that keeps guys fresh.

LH didn't even win by 24, Bay city won't win at all!!!!

wedo
10-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Cuero will score 30 in the first quarter if BC's not careful. 3 defensive TD's this year.
the both ways arguement only works for LH, Bay city is a no huddle passing team, so there will be incompletions and time to rest, besides last game cuero has just about figured out a rotation that keeps guys fresh.

LH didn't even win by 24, Bay city won't win at all!!!!

Cuero will get tired if they keep playing as many guys both ways.. BC is on the ball before the whistle blows gonna be hard to rotate guys in and out.

Gobbla2001
10-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Cuero will get tired if they keep playing as many guys both ways.. BC is on the ball before the whistle blows gonna be hard to rotate guys in and out.

as for our guys rotating before the whistle blows, any coach that knows anything about scouting will have noticed by now... guys will be coming in before the play ends... that only tricks teams not prepared... we'll be prepared...

as for our guys getting tired, they have been all year... the only game it didn't work was against what I feel (and a lot feel) is the #1 team in 3A, which has an offense that doesn't work out well for most defenses, including our's...

Unless Bay City is gunna run a 230+ pound RB down our throats all night, and throw in about 3 other great RB's on top of that, there really is no comparison...

Cuero has great penetration, on the outside and in... also have a great secondary covering the pass... but that doesn't matter against a team like LH... #1, they don't pass (passed once against Cuero, it was a TD but we weren't expecting it in the 3rd QT and it was close to being picked)... and #2 penetration doesn't work against their offense, you could have all of your down linemen pentrate the whole and the RB will already be five yards passed the LOS...

Cuero's D is fine... against LH? NOPE... no one's is...

I feel Bay City is gunna do some scoring... but are they gunna outscore Cuero? I dunno, they seem pretty good so I'll just stick with my "I don't know"...

if I had to pick right now, judging by two of the teams Bay City has beaten, I'd say BC by 3... but I'm always wrong...

wedo
10-01-2007, 05:55 PM
as for our guys rotating before the whistle blows, any coach that knows anything about scouting will have noticed by now... guys will be coming in before the play ends... that only tricks teams not prepared... we'll be prepared...

as for our guys getting tired, they have been all year... the only game it didn't work was against what I feel (and a lot feel) is the #1 team in 3A, which has an offense that doesn't work out well for most defenses, including our's...

Unless Bay City is gunna run a 230+ pound RB down our throats all night, and throw in about 3 other great RB's on top of that, there really is no comparison...

Cuero has great penetration, on the outside and in... also have a great secondary covering the pass... but that doesn't matter against a team like LH... #1, they don't pass (passed once against Cuero, it was a TD but we weren't expecting it in the 3rd QT and it was close to being picked)... and #2 penetration doesn't work against their offense, you could have all of your down linemen pentrate the whole and the RB will already be five yards passed the LOS...

Cuero's D is fine... against LH? NOPE... no one's is...

I feel Bay City is gunna do some scoring... but are they gunna outscore Cuero? I dunno, they seem pretty good so I'll just stick with my "I don't know"...

if I had to pick right now, judging by two of the teams Bay City has beaten, I'd say BC by 3... but I'm always wrong...

you make great points, on the other hand BC could Easily be 4-0

Gobbla2001
10-01-2007, 06:05 PM
on the other hand BC could Easily be 4-0

must be something wrong if they should be but aint ha

this is gunna be an AWESOME game... I can't wait...

gato 76
10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Im going with the city cats.The Brenham cub had 6 div1 prospects on there team,and also was to have one of the fastest teams in the greater houston area,the city cats just blew by them with no problem.I did not go to the game against WOS put i was told if we could have cut out some of those mistakes i think we had 70 yds in penalties we probally would have beaten them by more.The cats main problem has been on special teams like the punt game in the 1st 4 games we have given the other team the short field which has resulted in scoring points.On a other note if i recall St Pius also had 6 div 1 prospects on there team..Wedo is right if bay city can play 4 full qts of mistake free football it could get ugly.This game not going to be over till 11:00pm.Good luck to you guys gobbla 2001 maybe i will get a chance to meet you wedo and i are sitting on the cuero side.

Gobbla2001
10-01-2007, 06:42 PM
i was told if we could have cut out some of those mistakes i think we had 70 yds in penalties we probally would have beaten them by more..

that's part of the game I guess... had Cuero not turned the ball over 3 times against Liberty Hill we wouldn't have lost be two scores... they couldn't stop us, we couldn't stop them..

it won't get ugly, I'll promise that...

might not be pretty though ha

gato 76
10-01-2007, 06:55 PM
that's part of the game I guess... had Cuero not turned the ball over 3 times against Liberty Hill we wouldn't have lost be two scores... they couldn't stop us, we couldn't stop them..

it won't get ugly, I'll promise that...

might not be pretty though ha

Yes that part of the game,Brenham 2 losses were by a combined score of 3pts, 28-27 loss to Nederland and 42-40 loss to Bay City.Its going to be a great game.

Gobbla2001
10-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Yes that part of the game,Brenham 2 losses were by a combined score of 3pts, 28-27 loss to Nederland and 42-40 loss to Bay City.Its going to be a great game.

Cuero and Bay City need to consolidate

wedo
10-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Cuero and Bay City need to consolidate

That might make the #1 team in the nation

Mean Green Fan
10-01-2007, 07:33 PM
I think Cuero's defense is more suited for a team like Bay City. And Cuero has a good defense and will put some pressure on Rutherford.I know Kaeron will be in his face.He certainly will not have alot of time in the pocket to pick and choose.If hes not careful it may be Cuero that gets his receptions and goes the other way.La Vernia had a very talented QB and against the Gobblers he had maybe 22 yards passing. I also think speed wise Cuero can hang with Bay City.Fatigue will be the only thing that may slow them down.
The question will be can Bay City stop Cuero's running game and possesion of the clock? Can Rutherford scramble and avoid a pass rush?

My pick is Cuero by 21

wedo
10-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Mean Green Fan
I think Cuero's defense is more suited for a team like Bay City. And Cuero has a good defense and will put some pressure on Rutherford.I know Kaeron will be in his face.He certainly will not have alot of time in the pocket to pick and choose.If hes not careful it may be Cuero that gets his receptions and goes the other way.La Vernia had a very talented QB and against the Gobblers he had maybe 22 yards passing. I also think speed wise Cuero can hang with Bay City.Fatigue will be the only thing that may slow them down.
The question will be can Bay City stop Cuero's running game and possesion of the clock? Can Rutherford scramble and avoid a pass rush?

My pick is Cuero by 21

Let me be the first to tell ya that this BC team is a completely diff. team from last year! If your going by last year team your gonna be mighty surprised.

anyone thats going ill be sitting on the Cuero side the 30 yard line to the left!!!

Mean Green Fan
10-01-2007, 07:42 PM
I would agree that BC is better than last year...but so is Cuero..!!

gato 76
10-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Mean Green Fan

My pick is Cuero by 21

Brenham,StPius both ran 4-2-5 defense against BC,you have to man up against us and come with the blitz thats what we want.Afetr a few of those stunts and then a no huddle offense the fatigue issue will be a problem for the gobbla's.Now stopping Cuero running game will be a challenge,brenham had a back 6-0 230 4.5 and we slowed him down he never broke a long one on us..This is what i like talking football will they do this, will they do that i love it.

crabman
10-01-2007, 10:42 PM
All of ya'll can throw fatigue out the window. Any of you see the LaVernia game? Last play of the fourth quarter and we looked like the Energizer bunny. You had to notice the linemen procession throughout the game. We are getting one more lineman back this week to help even more. If BC is looking to tire us out, they will be sorry.

How long until Rangnow hurts somebody? He is playing some fullback and full time linebacker. He only weighs about 190 but he loads up on those poor people against him. He is either going to break them or himself before the year is over. You Bay City guys, go to booster club and ask your coaches about #2.

IHStangFan
10-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I may have to eat some crow by the end of the week...but I don't see Cuero winning this by 3TDs as one poster said. I think Cuero's secondary will be tested for the first time this year. This kid for Bay City is one of the Houston area's leading passers. I see this game being close, but a bit of a surprise to most people who seem to think Cuero is going to walk all over Bay City. Bay City will use a combo of its depth, speed at skill positions and a good QB to win this one through the air. I'll take Bay City by a TD.

gato 76
10-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by crabman
All of ya'll can throw fatigue out the window. Any of you see the LaVernia game? Last play of the fourth quarter and we looked like the Energizer bunny. You had to notice the linemen procession throughout the game. We are getting one more lineman back this week to help even more. If BC is looking to tire us out, they will be sorry.

How long until Rangnow hurts somebody? He is playing some fullback and full time linebacker. He only weighs about 190 but he loads up on those poor people against him. He is either going to break them or himself before the year is over. You Bay City guys, go to booster club and ask your coaches about #2.

My friend Bay City is not LaVernia,your secondary is going to be tested thats all i know.

wedo
10-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by crabman

La Vernia is ranked and was 4-0 but has played nobody. I don't think thats a game you should judge Cuero by!! Cuero will get tired BC will be by far the fastest team Cuero will play all year!!!

HM33
10-02-2007, 05:30 PM
All I know is that I'm excited and I'm ready to watch this trackmeet :)

Gobbla2001
10-02-2007, 05:58 PM
What has Bay City ever done :confused:

(I hope you know I'm just kidding, gotta have fun with this)...

I predicted BC by 3 earlier in this thread... but now I'm stuck at BC by 1 1/2 after reading crabman's post...

Hey, crabman, when are we going fishing?

Mean Green Fan
10-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Interesting article.....

‘Cats host Cuero for homecoming

By Justin Daily
Bay City Tribune

Published October 2, 2007

BAY CITY – The Blackcats come off their bye-week for another home game this Friday when they play the Class 3A Cuero Gobblers.

Bay City has had two full weeks to prepare for the state-ranked Gobblers – the fourth top 10 team on the Blackcats’ schedule this year. Cuero (3-1) is picked ninth in Texas 3A in the Week Four Associated Press Poll and is No. 15 on the Texas Football Magazine Poll.

Brenham dropped out of both polls after their 42-40 loss to Bay City in Week Three. The Blackcats are under-ranked and under-rated and they’ve certainly made a statement with their recent numbers.

They’re just 2-2 on the season, making up for their two losses, and they sort of have a chance to start the record over from here. At .500, they can turn it around to a winning season with the next few games, or go back down that other road. Last year the Blackcats had just two wins, but it doesn’t look like the same will be true for 2007.

Cuero won’t be an easy target, though. The Gobblers have the numbers to go along with their ranking. Their offense is producing 409 yards per game and they’re leaning on a strong rushing attack. Defensively, the Blackcats are giving up 404 yards per game, but they’ve done against a series of well ranked football teams.

The Gobblers have cranked out over 1,000 rushing yards in four games and they’re doing it by committee. Seniors Quincey Whittington, Stephon Hargrove and David Williams have combined for 82 touches on the ball and are all in the top five rushers in District 29-3A. Juniors Brent Johnson and Troy Ruiz together have carried it 27 times for over 130 yards.

Whittington is the workhorse with 39 carries for 339 yards and five TDs. Hargrove is just under him at third in the league with 25 rushes for 277 yards and three scores. Williams has 18 carries for 109 yards and three touchdowns.

Quarterback Tyler Arndt has hardly come out of the pocket and option or QB keeper plays don’t seem to be a staple in the Gobblers’ offense. The sophomore thrower has completed 31-of-41 attempts for a 76-percent completion rate. He has 588 yards and eight touchdowns without a single interception.

Cuero doesn’t utilize its passing game often, but with just 10 incompletions all year Arndt could be a deadly threat from the backfield. But if Bay City’s defensive backs can contain junior Robert Armstrong, they’ll take out a major threat downfield. The junior has 17 receptions for 311 yards and two scores, averaging over 18 yards per carry.

Whittington and Kaeron Johnson have both been red zone targets for Arndt. The former has six catches with 122 yards and two scores and the latter has five for 111 yards and three TDs. The trio has accounted for all but two of Arndt’s passes and will require consistent coverage

The Gobblers opened the season with three wins by enormous margins. They beat Sinton 53-0, Stafford 61-3 and Bandera 57-14. But a large part of Cuero’s big stats is due to the level of competition in their opening games. Those three teams have a combined record of just 1-8 over the first three weeks of the season.

Cuero lost last week when it faced real competition against Liberty Hill, which has maintained a No. 2 AP ranking. Liberty Hill (4-0) won it 49-35 and is all of the high-caliber competition the Gobblers have seen all year.

They still have a relatively impressive defense. They’ve held teams to an average of 177 yards per game, giving up just 119 yards in the air and 590 on the ground over four weeks. They haven’t played against any pass-heavy playbooks yet, and their secondary has yet to be tested. They have three interceptions on the year.

The Blackcats, on the other hand, are producing well against the level of opponents they’ve faced. The offense, with QB Shaun Rutherford at the helm, has averaged 385 yards per game. Rutherford’s performance – which included 378 passing yards and 506 all-purpose yards – against Brenham last week, garnered awards from every side.

He was recently named the Built Ford Tough Athlete of the Week for all of Texas 4A, received the Houston Chronicle Player of the Week award and was a part of the local Farrar Financial Group Unit of the Week as chosen by Bay City radio station, KZRC 92.5 FM, broadcasters.

Rutherford has 1,244 yards and 11 touchdowns in just four games. He’s completed 84-of-129 attempts with a 65-percent completion rate and three interceptions.

The senior is the team’s leading rusher with 193 yards and three TDs. Zach Benson is at 130 yards on just 19 carries with a score. Benson might not have the rushing yardage expected for a starting running back, but in Bay City’s spread offense he’s one of the leading receivers.

Benson has 16 carries for 200 yards and a touchdown. He averages 13 yards per catch and has been a crucial part of the Blackcats quick passing game.

Darian Dale, BC’s most consistent catcher, has 24 receptions, 350 yards and four TDs. Kory Ford has been the big-play man downfield with eight catches for 200 yards and two scores, averaging 25 yards per catch.

Paul Ellis and Tony Davis round out the receiver corps, each with five receptions for over 80 yards. Tommy Singletary has two catches for 72 yards and a TD.

WOS1
10-02-2007, 10:13 PM
I did not go to the game against WOS put i was told if we could have cut out some of those mistakes i think we had 70 yds in penalties we probally would have beaten them by more.

Gato, my man, first let me say that I am glad that BC is back on the map. I was really glad to see that they beat Brenham.

BUT, if your gonna play the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" card, any BC fan in his right mind would tell you that BC is extremely lucky they are 2-2 instead of 1-3. WOS outgained BC in every area (I know... except the one that counts... remember, this is the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" card ;) ). We were inside the red zone of BC 4 times and came away with no points. If we "woulda" had a kicker or we "coulda" had an offense with a little more experience, the game "shoulda" got out of hand, in the other direction.

Now, to the BC/Cuero game. Cuero fans, BC is going to put up some points. If Cuero wins this game they will have to put up 35 at least. I do agree that Cuero will probably match up well. Probably much like WOS did with a speed defense. We sacked Rutherford 7 times and harrassed him all night long. If Cuero can pressure him like that, they have a chance. BC has put up points in bunches against some good teams with the exception of WOS, but the WOS defense is tremendous. I'm not sure what kind of passing teams Cuero has faced so you really don't know what to expect in that department. All I can say is that BC will be the best they will probably see all year. Their running game is nothing to write home about, but they will get their yards in the air. If Cuero can contain the passing attack and get that 35 points on offense then they have a chance.

At this point, my guess is 42-28 BC.

gato 76
10-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by WOS1

I did not go to the game against WOS put i was told if we could have cut out some of those mistakes i think we had 70 yds in penalties we probally would have beaten them by more.

Gato, my man, first let me say that I am glad that BC is back on the map. I was really glad to see that they beat Brenham.

BUT, if your gonna play the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" card, any BC fan in his right mind would tell you that BC is extremely lucky they are 2-2 instead of 1-3. WOS outgained BC in every area (I know... except the one that counts... remember, this is the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" card ;) ). We were inside the red zone of BC 4 times and came away with no points. If we "woulda" had a kicker or we "coulda" had an offense with a little more experience, the game "shoulda" got out of hand, in the other direction.

Now, to the BC/Cuero game. Cuero fans, BC is going to put up some points. If Cuero wins this game they will have to put up 35 at least. I do agree that Cuero will probably match up well. Probably much like WOS did with a speed defense. We sacked Rutherford 7 times and harrassed him all night long. If Cuero can pressure him like that, they have a chance. BC has put up points in bunches against some good teams with the exception of WOS, but the WOS defense is tremendous. I'm not sure what kind of passing teams Cuero has faced so you really don't know what to expect in that department. All I can say is that BC will be the best they will probably see all year. Their running game is nothing to write home about, but they will get their yards in the air. If Cuero can contain the passing attack and get that 35 points on offense then they have a chance.

At this point, my guess is 42-28 BC.

WOS1, the city cats shot themselves in the foot lots of times with penalties that killed lots of there drives,it wasn't all the wos defense.Give BC some credit if you guys could not score in the red zone give the city cats credit they shut you down.I still believe without all those penalties bay city puts at least 35 pts on the wos defense.And if we play cuero the way we played wos yes they have a shot to win,and we maybe score under 20 pts.Good luck to the chaingang the rest of the year.

JT44
10-03-2007, 04:57 PM
man that article doesn't give cuero much credit....good job of downplaying the gobblers

teams have tried to pass against cuero, but with no luck. those teams don't have the bay city qb, but the cuero secondary is ready for the city cat.

how's bay city's rush defense? Cuero did a great job of ball control in the last game. I predict a big passing game for the gobblers, a lot of play action and rollouts to the backs and TE, namely kaeron johnson, and then some deep routs to quincy and armstrong.

Gobbla2001
10-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Since Reeve has arrived in Cuero, the Gobblers have pretty much gone 50/50 with rush/pass yards... this year the rushing is far over the pass... It's not because the passing isn't good, Arndt has done very well passing, but the run is getting it done more this year than in the past...

the passing game is there, the threats are there, but we're keepin' it on the ground more for some reason...

I've changed my mind again... City Cats by 1...

JT44
10-04-2007, 04:01 PM
I think keeping it on the ground more is slowing down the game and helping with stamina. I think a lesson was learned from LH.

cjeffsjeep
10-04-2007, 04:17 PM
If cuero wins, what does this say about them, will people start to believe that they are a legit top 5 team.

I know most people think top 15, but Bay city did beat WOS.

haha rank does not matter and but just so you know WOS has not done Jack Squat scene they have moved to 3a

but thats just my thoughts

JT44
10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by cjeffsjeep
haha rank does not matter and but just so you know WOS has not done Jack Squat scene they have moved to 3a

but thats just my thoughts

I know rank doesn't matter, WOS is a constant deep in the playoffs, and the only reason I even say that is b/c there are so many Cuero non-believers this year

wedo
10-04-2007, 07:06 PM
I know rank doesn't matter, WOS is a constant deep in the playoffs, and the only reason I even say that is b/c there are so many Cuero non-believers this year

O I believe taht Cuero is legit and will make a strong playoff run, I just don't think that they beat BC.

44INAROW
10-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Picture of the Bay City crowd at the Cuero vs Bay City JV game -(Cuero won both games) Sure hope we have the same outcome tomorrow night. Should be a good game.. hope everyone has a safe trip to and from the game..... and GO MEAN GREEN :)

I went to the volleyball games for a while - there were quite a few fans there from BC.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/GobblersFreshvsBayCity2007026Small.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/GobblersFreshvsBayCity2007025Small.jpg

Gobbler Fan
10-04-2007, 09:50 PM
They must all be at the snack bar ...:p

CHSfan
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Picture of the Bay City crowd at the Cuero vs Bay City JV game -(Cuero won both games) Sure hope we have the same outcome tomorrow night. Should be a good game.. hope everyone has a safe trip to and from the game..... and GO MEAN GREEN :)

I went to the volleyball games for a while - there were quite a few fans there from BC.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/GobblersFreshvsBayCity2007026Small.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/GobblersFreshvsBayCity2007025Small.jpg

that was really sad! i wanted to go sit over there just to make it look lk ppl cared bout them!! but i still would have cheered cuero on!!