PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood's Wilber PBPOW

Funk-d-fied
09-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Football: Greenwood's Wilber tears up opponent on one good leg
BY CRAIG CRAKER

Sep 25, 2007 12:21 am

Colton Wilber already had felt this pain.

Twice, in fact.

The Greenwood quarterback tore his left ACL before his junior season and partially tore it again during a preseason scrimmage.

On Friday night, he completely tore it in half. He was running to his left, saw a hole open to the right, made a cut, and heard a pop.

“I thought I was through,” Wilber said, “but I messed around on it a little bit, and I decided to go back out there and see what I could do.”

Wilber showed teammates, San Angelo Lake View players — and fans — what he can do on one leg.
Wilber rushed 15 times for 128 yards and a touchdown, and he was 6-for-11 for 96 yards. He also led a game-winning drive in the waning moments of a 35-28 victory.

“Just a kid with a lot of heart and a lot of guts,” Greenwood coach Steve Taylor said. “He just wanted to play that bad. We left it up to him and his dad, and his dad kind of left it up to him. There wasn’t any question what he was going to do.”

Wilber initially thought he would not be able to return, but he spent halftime attempting to run in the weight room and eventually decided he could do it.

But his second half was more than anyone could have expected.

“We thought if he got back out there he wouldn’t be able to do much,” Taylor said. “We were expecting to finish the game with the backup quarterback. We sure didn’t expect him to have that kind of second half, leading us to 21 points and a game-winning drive.”

Wilber credited his teammates as much as anyone for the victory.

“When I decided to go back in, everyone was running hard and going hard,” Wilber said. “We had to win. I think a lot of people were going hard just to rally around me and get out there and get a victory.

“It was an unbelievable night, not just stat-wise, not even just the win, but just how we came together. It is probably my favorite game I’ve ever played in.”

PERMIAN BASIN PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Colton Wilber

>> School: Greenwood.

>> Height: 6-foot-2.

>> Weight: 195 pounds.

>> Class: Senior.

>> Position: Quarterback.

>> Highlights: Wilber directed a drive for a game-winning score against San Angelo Lake View
while playing on a torn ACL. He ran for 128 yards and a touchdown and threw for 96 yards.

WEEK 3 HONOR ROLL

>> Andrews’ Michael Reid rushed 16 times for 145 yards and three touchdowns and caught two passes for 14 yards and a score in the Mustangs’ victory over Monahans.

>> Fort Stockton’s Sergio Corral rushed 20 times for 158 yards and two touchdowns in the Panthers’ victory over Seminole.

>> Pecos’ Hector Ramirez rushed 28 times for 143 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles’ loss to Denver City.

>> Alpine’s Moises Estrada was 6-for-10 for 142 yards and three touchdowns and rushed three times for 61 yards and a score in Alpine’s victory over Wink.

>> Grandfalls-Royalty’s B.J. Santiago rushed 11 times for 85 yards and five touchdowns, was 11-for-16 for 256 yards and four touchdowns, and had six tackles in the Cowboys’ victory over Dell City.

Ranger Mom
09-28-2007, 11:43 AM
That brought tears to my eyes!!:)

Sweetwater Red
09-28-2007, 11:44 AM
So is he good to go or is he out now?

Ranger Mom
09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
So is he good to go or is he out now?

Evidently, he's gonna play until he absolutely can't play anymore!!!

Funk-d-fied
09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
He is still going to play, personally though very brave I believe any notion of playing college sports is out the window.

Ranger Mom
09-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
He is still going to play, personally though very brave I believe any notion of playing college sports is out the window.

I don't know if that was ever "in the plan" anyway with Colton!

Funk-d-fied
09-28-2007, 11:56 AM
How is his brother doing?

Ranger Mom
09-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
How is his brother doing?

Last I heard he was still "scout" coaching at NMSU!