PDA

View Full Version : Tech gets a track recruit...

Funk-d-fied
09-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Permian's Williams picks Tech
Chris Gove

Jun 20, 2007 11:26 am

LaVorick Williams still has quite a long road ahead of him even to get close to achieving some of his lofty goals and dreams.

But the recent Permian High School graduate took a step in the right direction Tuesday when he signed to compete for the Texas Tech University men’s track and field team.

Williams said he also was mulling offers from Texas-El Paso, Arizona and Middle Tennessee State. In the end, he was won over by Red Raiders coach Wes Kittley.

“I’m very excited — I can’t wait,” Williams said. “It just clicked ever since I talked to (Kittley), and it’s been clicking ever since. It’s the Big 12, and I get to run against all the good fast people. Hopefully I’ll be one of them.”

Williams also was a standout receiver for Permian’s football team last fall, but he does not plan on competing in that sport at the collegiate level.

Instead, he has long-term dreams of chasing Olympic gold and short-term dreams of making an immediate impact in the Big 12 for Tech.

Williams finished fourth in the 200 meters in April at the Region I-5A Championships, which was run on the Tech campus. He also competed in the 400- and 800-meter relays for Permian at the regional meet.

Permian coach Jeep Shanks said the 6-foot-3, 185-pound Williams ironically opened eyes with his lone performance of the season in the 100 meters. Competing at the Tall City Relays in Midland, Williams won the race with a time of 10.78 seconds.

“The college coaches felt like somebody with his size and that much quickness must be able to get out of the blocks to run the 100 time he did,” Shanks said. “He just has a tremendous upside, and he’s just going to keep getting faster and faster.”

Williams is joining a Tech program that has burst upon the national scene since Kittley took over the program for the 2000 season.

Tech’s men’s team finished second at the Big 12 Championships last month, while the school’s women’s team finished fourth. Combined, the school’s programs had seven Big 12 event champions and finished with eight All-Americans last week at the NCAA Championships in Sacramento, Calif.

Williams, who said he will run the 100 and 200 for Tech, got to watch some of the NCAA meet in Sacramento last week while he was in town for the 48th adidas Golden West Invitational.
He finished second in the 100 at the meet and said he’s excited about the chance to concentrate solely on track.

Shanks also is excited to see what will happen to his former athlete at the collegiate level.

“I think he’s only at the tip of the iceberg for his track career,” Shanks said. “Just because of how he’s built and once he gets to train strictly for track year-round, I don’t think anybody can guess how fast he might be able to go.”

STANG RED
09-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Wow, him and Skye Green on the same relay team will make for a lethal combination. Wonder who else they have for the other 2 legs.

leecofans
09-28-2007, 03:15 PM
I know Bill Lawhorn from Giddings is running at Tech as well. Should be something to watch!

These are results from the State Meet - looks like Tech is sitting pretty fast right now...

1 Skye Green Sweetwater 10.49 0.2
2 Shawnbrey McNeal Dal Madison 10.53 0.2
3 Bill Lawhorn Giddings 10.62 0.2

Lawhorn was also 2nd in the 200 and 1st in the 400...

shadow13
09-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Gil Roberts- OKC.
200- 20.77
400- 46.1

Lamont Adams- Round Rock
200- 21.5
400- 47.3

Brandon Anderson- New Orleans
200- 21.3

Texas Tech freshman Recuits

All of these guys are training with ex Tech runner and now professional runner Tyree Gailes ,who happens to be Tech's all time record holder in the 100- 10.11 alone with New sprint Coach Dion Miller who is 5th all-time at Tech in the 100 -10.19.

GetRDoneStangs
09-28-2007, 03:57 PM
I hate to say it........

Looks like I am a tech fan....for track at least!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Lots of talent from the smaller schools!!!!

:clap: :clap:

shadow13
09-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Plus Sophmores: Ryan Atkins and Tim Foster, Tech will have plenty of choices for the 4x100 relay.